Another style

Posted by: toxic_illness

Another style - 09/06/03 08:57 PM

I've been training in muay thai for about a year and its all basic ...i wanted to no if there was another more technical style i could learn that goes well with muay thai besides kung fu...plz some help me with this?
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Another style - 09/07/03 04:29 AM

Depends, to be honest I would go to judo or wrestling or BJJ as you would have a full range of punching/kicking/grappling and close quarter skills.

If by technical you just mean fancy capoera (sp) or TKD will probably service your needs.

Although to be honest another kicking/punching Martial art would just interupt your muay thai.
Posted by: ToriUke

Re: Another style - 09/13/03 05:13 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by a technical style, but It's always great to go with something you find completely opposite of what you are learning (in this case grappling)because:

1) I have not seen many kickboxers kickbox on the ground or feel comfortable grabbing and throwing - shake it up - don't get too secure in your shell [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

2) If you took kickboxing and another standing art like TKD you will develop "bad habbits" (as your instructor may call them) in your stance or blocking etc - or even though it is better still standing think of kung fu - it's weight displacement alone is significantly different. some K/F instructors like their students to stand with arms tucked wrist to hips face chest etc showing - they have their reasons (that the kickboxing instructor may or may not care to consider) see muscle memory will prevail and it will become more and more difficult to not do the "little things" that may annoy your sensei

No offense to kung fu - love it
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Another style - 09/13/03 06:30 PM

If you've only been studying for a year then of course it's still basic. You're a beginner. You've still a while to go before you get the basics sorted out.

Stick with it.

JohnL
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Another style - 10/10/03 07:08 PM

I take it that you're wanting to learn something more "complex" when you use the word "technical".

That isn't a wise idea if fighting ability is what you place your premium on. The simpler the better in that case!

-John
Posted by: Zenmeister

Re: Another style - 10/19/03 10:36 AM

When after a few more years of training in which you can claim a skill level approaching your instructor(s) and can challenge them to an amateur 3-5 2 minute round match , then it may be time to continue to a second art. Ju Jitsu, Judo, Hapkido (Korean grappling) etc. would make excellent choices to combine with pubching and kicking skills, at which Muay Thai is second to none. A great fighter is never born overnight, so do soak in everything your current school has to offer and don't be a style jumper, dabbling in this and that before you become proficient at any. You'll only wind up in disappointment.
Posted by: MuayThai

Re: Another style - 11/19/03 05:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by toxic_illness:
I've been training in muay thai for about a year and its all basic ...i wanted to no if there was another more technical style i could learn that goes well with muay thai besides kung fu...plz some help me with this?[/QUOTE]
http://www.usmta.com/Krabi-Krabong-2.htm
www.muaythai.com

Read all, I hope I fueld a fire. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]