Need Some help With Chosing A Learning A Martial Art

Posted by: Neo23uk

Need Some help With Chosing A Learning A Martial Art - 06/27/03 09:38 AM

Hi All My Name Is Neo, Ive been intrested in martail arts for a long time now but never got round to actualy chosing an art and learning it. I was wondering if anyone would like to help me with basic training or an Art, im intrested in TeawKwonDo my brother does it and is being stengy and not letting me go to his training days on fridays and mondays. does anyone know any ways i can learn on my own from , internet websites or internet books, or even normal books. i was wondering if u had msn/aol/or yahoo messenger you could teach me or tell me about the arts via these programs, im in desperate need of learning an art, as i cant stand getting beaten up any longer and not being able to fight or defend myself.
IF YOU CAN HELP PLEASE EMAIL ME OR REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE A.S.A.P. EMAILS: varnsy21@yahoo.co.uk and varnsy21@hotmail.com
Posted by: IRONMAN

Re: Need Some help With Chosing A Learning A Martial Art - 07/02/03 11:10 AM

neo the best way to learn correctly is from an instructor. books and tapes are great for reference but alot of mistakes and bad habits can be created. i trained in tae kwon do and it was great for me and i learned alot but it had alot to do with the school i went to. if infact u are getting beat up then go to somebody for help, teacher, parents or even the police no one should be subject to that kind of treatment. also martial arts should be only used as a last resort because properly executed techniques could be devasting or even fatal. if u can only learn from books or tapes i would sugest book and tapes demonstrating karate and boxing wich i believe would be to most helpful for you in your situation. if u have any questions feel free to email me at (islandpuma02@hotmail.com)
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Need Some help With Chosing A Learning A Martial Art - 07/06/03 05:50 AM

I agree with Ironman, if you want to get anywhere get to a club.

If you have other local clubs e.g. boxing, kick boxing, judo etc. are all good arts that can be adapted to self defence.

If expense is a problem judo and boxing are cheap - as well as probably the most effective.
Posted by: piccolo

Re: Need Some help With Chosing A Learning A Martial Art - 07/21/03 10:24 PM

hello neo im new here too but im not a complete novice on the martial arts. i suggest taking karate its more fun i think.Ive taken tae kwon do before it was fine but its limited to punches and kicks no thorws or holds. karate has a little bit on throws plus its easier to expand from it.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Need Some help With Chosing A Learning A Martial Art - 07/22/03 04:18 PM

I agree with the others; you need to be taught by an instructor. There are things that exist in the martial arts that can not be put into words.
I started in Kung Fu and I feel that it provided a great start for my training in martial arts.
Best of luck.
Posted by: saiyan

Re: Need Some help With Chosing A Learning A Martial Art - 07/23/03 02:55 AM

i am also choosing a style which is the best in your opinion
Posted by: piccolo

Re: Need Some help With Chosing A Learning A Martial Art - 07/23/03 07:49 PM

Most martial arts are good to learn even boxing or wrestling. But if ur just starting with no formal training u should choose an art that is not based on chi, or ki. The reason is many of thier concepts are hard to grasp for begginers something like tae kwon do or karate are great for starting. good luck.