improving my sparring

Posted by: BBB

improving my sparring - 05/11/03 01:47 AM

Hey everyone, this is my first post so be patient with me. Im a newcomer 16 year old black belt in shaolin kempo and find myself being drawn further and further into the martial arts. However, i feel im hitting a little snag; my close combat (mostly hands) seems to be lacking. I practice for hours with another black belt, but usually i end up hook kicking him or using a takedown rather than actually getting into his gaurd and punching him. Some black belts (one in particular 1st degree 16 year old like me who is about half a foot taller but a whole lot better). I've tried lots of different excercises but a little direction would be helpful here on how to improve. Any tips?
Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: improving my sparring - 05/11/03 07:09 AM

Maybe you might like to think about practicing another style along side your base style.

My base is Karate i learnt at a non - competition club, but for a couple of years i went once a week to a gung-fu class that was heavily competition orientated. Much better sparrers pound for pound and grade for grade, simply because that was their main emphasis in training. I didn't grade with them often and missed lessons here and there because of other priorities including karate, but my ability to score with kicks improved significantly.

It might also show up things in your style that you can exploit on others when you go back!

A similar example to my gung fu training is that now i spend half my training time boxing and half practicing karate. My 'hands' are improved significantly (relative to what i was before) in just six months.

A different style will give you a different perspective and different skills. These people you're trying to spar in the same style know everything you know, maybe if you learnt something they haven't.......... It need not take more than one lesson a week; an auxillary weapon perhaps?

With respect.

[This message has been edited by Yoseikan Student (edited 05-11-2003).]
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: improving my sparring - 05/11/03 07:31 AM

Ban your feet and take downs for a while.

When you spar, listen to what your instructor says, learn from other people and avoid using techniques your comfortable with.

Using the techniques and style you struggle with will annoy you because you know you can use your feet - but keep going!

I did this with a lot of techniques - for example making a front hook punch work, took me a while but now I use it very effectively.

Basically if it doesn't work try it again, slightly differently until it does work. You might get a few knocks but you will be better for it!
Posted by: BBB

Re: improving my sparring - 05/11/03 01:04 PM

thanks for the tips, i'll try them both.

[This message has been edited by BBB (edited 05-11-2003).]
Posted by: madhag

Re: improving my sparring - 05/12/03 11:58 AM

i've been through that trouble with my hands. what has helped were to practice shadow boxing, and working out my strikes on the heavy bag. they help me to develop and explore further combination and strength. practice standing close to the bag and strike it on close contact, using all weapons from fingertips to elbow. the elbow strikes were quite an enlightening and lethal discovery for me. combinations can work wonders, if you don't get the first in you have a greater chance of getting the 2nd or 3rd in. i also practice sparring with one arm; sitting down; back up against the wall; arms only; etc etc
also spar with people from other styles.
Posted by: Ender

Re: improving my sparring - 05/20/03 07:22 PM

practice, thats the best advice there is. Theres no secret to success. Practice is all it takes.