Motivation to train

Posted by: madhag

Motivation to train - 05/01/03 05:39 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I have a question to ask of those who are teachers, or have trained a long while. I have been training in Kajukenbo for seven years now. In the last 3 years or so, my motivation has dropped, in the last year I have little motivation to make it to class. I used to train at least 4 days a week back then; it was my life. Now, I've "grown up" a little, and juggling 2 jobs and maintaining relationship, friends, hobbies, etc etc. I'm exhausted at nights, but I know if my motivation is up nothing can stop me from training. I'm frustrated at myself that I'm hitting this wall. Martial arts has always been natural to my body; I advanced quickly and easily through the ranks in my gung ho days. Now, as I'm aware of my strength I'm also more sensitive to my weaknesses and fears. There is no doubt MA has taught me what true power and grace is and made me a stronger person. Facing up to my inner demons is extremely difficult in training. Has any of you had similar experiences where you lost motivation in training? How did you feel, what helped you through it, where are you at now? I know I'm at a greater learning curve now, and I do not foresee MA out of my life. It's just difficult to have no motivation. I'd like to hear your stories.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Motivation to train - 05/01/03 06:03 PM

Hi Madhag, welcome to the boards [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I have lost motivation lots of times for many differnt reasons and I have seen many of my students go through it.

I would suggest, talking to your sensei, as she/he knows you as we can not and will have a clearer idea what could be causing this.

What may help is thinking about why you became so motivated in the first place. And why have you lost that motivation?

Do you have a grading scheduled soon? Are you nervous about it?
Or do you feel you have hit a plateau and are not progressing as much as you would like/think you should?
Or do you just feel overwhelmed with all your other responsibilities?
Whatever it is, try talking to your sensei as welll as thinking about any advice posted here.
Sharon
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Motivation to train - 05/02/03 10:47 AM

Interesting, this post will offer some ideas to help and a kick up the bum:

Ask your self - 'What is your goal?'

If you haven't got one, thats your problem.

I would suggest making a plan including:

1. A short term plan
2. A medium term plan
3. A long term plan

In the short term, this may be improving flexibility, strength, and footwork.

In the medium term, you may set a goal of competing in a number of competions or achieving the next grade, achieving splits.

The long term plan can't be ignored, this could be achieving a very high level of fitness, ability and winning competitions.

If you can imagine yourself doing it and you desire it, you will do things to get there.

i.e. get to training - so you can achieve it.

Also one more thing:

I will use the example of over eating;

Give a dog a bowl of food, they will eat it.
Then
Give that dog another bowl of food, they will eat it.
Then
Give that dog another bowl of food, they will eat it, be sick and probably eat that aswell.

Humans have future concept, why don't they use it when eating.

Think..

I want to eat a big chocolate bar.

But in the future I will be standing infront of the mirror not being able to wear my favourite jeans because they don't fit anymore, I will then be unhappy because I am fat, the six pack I want is laughable, all because I ate, along with others, chocolate bars when I wasn't hungry but when I was acting like a dog who doesn't have future concept, I have future concept.

I don't eat the chocolate bar.

What do I mean?

If you want to be a good Martial Artist, think in the future - if you keep missing training sessions, you will not get anywhere, you will be even more demotivated as your peers slowly become your masters as they move up through the ranks and you stay where you are.

More future concept - think when you return home from your training session, how many times have you said (once you got yourself there) 'I really wish I hadn't gone to training'

I bet the answer is never, you probably feel great once you have got there and trained, so think!

So think, things in the future rely on what you are doing right now, whether that is training, recovering, reading, over eating, taking drugs, smoking all these have effects on the future, some positive, some negative, being lazy and making excuses and blaming everything but yourself will have a negative effect on the future of your Martial arts practice.

I think I have taken a long way around to say, if you are lazy now and make crappy excuses, don't be annoyed in a year from now when you are crap at Martial arts through not training.

Effort = results
Lazyness/excuses = nothing

Hope this helps
UKFF

[This message has been edited by UKfightfreak (edited 05-02-2003).]

Re: Motivation to train - 05/02/03 11:57 AM

I appreciate your feedbacks and perspectives. I still train 2x a week, not at least 4 like I used to. The physical aspect comes easy to me and can learn quick. It's my spirit I am frustrated with, it's more of a challenge for me to deal with my spirit than to do a jump spinning inside crescent kick. It is a challenge to make it to class, and yes, I definitely feel good afterwards and never regret I went to class. Thanks for that thought, I'll push on emphasizing that perspective. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Training has changed for me. I feel physically I am at a plateau, but spiritually I have catching up to do. I think it's the violence and dark side in myself that needs to be reckoned with. I am also learning lots from this issue, and I know can get through this. Has anyone gone through the "dark hour of the soul" in MA?
Posted by: Ender

Re: Motivation to train - 05/09/03 03:58 PM

Simply ask yourself why you started training in the first place

worked for me numerous times
Posted by: labRatBioMajor

Re: Motivation to train - 06/17/03 09:39 AM

something fun, too, isn't entirely evil. rewarding yourself might help you for the first week or month(s) or so. it takes seven weeks to start a habit, and two to break it.

something nice like black belt magazine -- i don't get it yet, but when i read something like that i want to be like the humble masters, i want to care about working out.

the lack of motivation and the willingness to discipline yourself to plow right through it is an important part of the arts.

i have had times when i've gotten quite depressed, and it's mighty hard to get out of the house, much more to go outside and practice in the park. but that's something i work on. don't focus on your failures, but be glad, pleased, feel healthy when you've practiced/trained.

shake it up. practice in different parks, gym, etc. throw in a fun self-defense technique or something you love, or a favorite kata. variety is the spice of life, and will make you more well-rounded.

-LK
(isshinryu, 5th kyu)
Posted by: labRatBioMajor

Re: Motivation to train - 06/17/03 09:40 AM

ps: when you fail, get back up. struggle with yourself. in this you will learn self-control.
Posted by: piccolo

Re: Motivation to train - 07/22/03 06:52 PM

hello im new here. But madhag i do know wut ur feeling right now ive gone through slumps and i thought i would never get back to martial arts. The main thing is dont give up keep at it. Like ukfightfreak said set goals. good luck [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Ender

Re: Motivation to train - 07/22/03 09:17 PM

I disagree in setting a time goal, I believe this will inhibit your training, and here why...I shall explain with this age-old parable...

A young man went to visit an old Karate master, looking to train under him. When he met with the master, the man said to him "I wish to train under you and become the finest Karateka in the land. How long must I train?". The Master replied "10 years". The man thought for a moment, then said "10 years is a long time, what if I train twice as hard as your other students. How long must I train then?". The Master then replied "20 years". The man then exclaimed "20 years!? What if I train every day and night as hard as I can?". The Master then replied "30 years". The man, dumbfounded by this, asked "Why is it every time I say I will train harder, you say it will take longer?", and with that, the Master replied "Because if you have one eye fixed on a goal, then you have only one eye left with which to seek the way".

The moral of the story is...

If you give yourself a set ammount of time to achieve proficiency in any aspect of life, you become fixated on that time line, rather than the action itself. Because of that, if you do not meet your timed goal, you become frustrated with yourself, and will inhibit your training.

Re: Motivation to train - 07/23/03 12:45 PM

consider changing art-this could shake things up and bring back an interest in the arts.

Re: Motivation to train - 07/23/03 02:57 PM

Thanks for your feedbacks. You guys rock! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

i'm doing better these days. looking back, i learned a lot when i thought i learned little. It helped to slow down training to pay attention to some things in life I ignored. I'm ready to train harder!

Re: Motivation to train - 07/23/03 04:23 PM

Glad to hear you're feeling better madhag.
Enjoy your training
Sharon
Posted by: piccolo

Re: Motivation to train - 07/23/03 07:42 PM

intresting story ender i never heard of that one. but then again i still have much to learn.