Looking for a good Art

Posted by: gokujr1

Looking for a good Art - 04/18/03 10:40 PM

I've recently become really interested in Martial Arts and I was wondering what the best kind of art for me would be. I want something that is more disarming/KO stuff, i don't wanna end up killing anyone. Im 13 and 5'9 145 LBs I'm also pretty athletic. (I'm wondering if this matters at all?)

Than you in advancded
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Looking for a good Art - 04/21/03 12:18 PM

Hi [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Being athletic already is great if you want to study martial arts.
What sort of thing do you fancy? A striking art or a grappling art? Traditional or sport?
If you are not sure, the best thing to do is visit lots of different clubs in your area. No good instructor will mind you watching a class (it is obviously polite to ask first). If you like the "feel" of the place and the instructor, try a few lessons for a month and see if you like it. If not, try a different art or a different club doing the same art. Get your parents to check the instructors qualifications, insurance and first aid certificate before you join in.
Good luck
Sharon
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Looking for a good Art - 04/21/03 02:15 PM

Sound advice.

It's a real case of doing your homework, which you are doing now!!

You sound as though you want whatever you do to work for real, so with that in mind remember that there are big differences between different styles for example Karate is very, very varied, from fullcontact to semi contact, sport to traditional.

One thing is you need to find something that is close enough to go to, so do as Sharon says, make a list of clubs that you can get to easily then visit them!

Also, get your mom or dad or any adult to ask questions. Remember there are a lot of Martial Arts schools just trying to make money - that might not be for you, especially if you are on a budget.

Can anyone think of questions that should be asked?

I reckon:

* What is the liniage of the School?
* Are you affiliated to a governing body?
* Do you participate in competions of not?
* How much will training/ suits/ equipments/ gradings/ licence/ insurance cost?
* Do you have seperate classes for young people?
Posted by: Ender

Re: Looking for a good Art - 05/31/03 01:46 PM

I would also look around for their certifications.