benefits of teaching

Posted by: amgoossens

benefits of teaching - 09/08/02 03:18 PM

I am writing an essay for my dojo on the benefits of teaching, and I am hoping to get some insight from members of this board. (I also thought it might make an interesting discussion).

My position in my essay is that being an instructor has made me a better practitioner. I doubt I am the only one who feels this way, and I would like to include some thoughts from other instructors. Do you agree? If yes, how has teaching helped your martials arts study? Has it had an effect on the rest of your life? If you disagree, I'd like to hear about that too.

I would like to quote you, if it's okay, in my essay - if that's not okay, please let me know.

Thanks
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: benefits of teaching - 09/08/02 07:02 PM

Yeah teaching helps, you learn by teaching too, teaching helps you better understand manouvres and techniques, the limitations of the human body and to be more paitient. And have better people skills in general, such as speaking to large groups.

Yeah quote me, I don't care.
Posted by: RonS

Re: benefits of teaching - 11/13/02 01:13 PM

Learn it, do it, teach it.(and all variations of the theme). You know the sayings. Teachings forms and techniques are a wonderful way to explore your understanding. What you know is reflected in how well your students execute a technique the first time it's taught. When a student is having difficulty with a form, it's your knowledge of the form that will help them through it. As you teach more, you will develop a better foundation . However, never lose the desire to learn new applications and more challenging techniques. Learning advanced concepts and theories can only help you and your students.
You are free to quote me (but I'll deny everything [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Mahalo,
RonS
Posted by: Cato

Re: benefits of teaching - 11/15/02 07:05 PM

Instructing forces you to break down techniques and to analyse what it is that you're doing, or should be doing, in your own execution of them. You also have to make the technique work for people with different abilities and limitations to yourself and so a thorough understanding of exactly what makes a technique work is essential. Most importantly perhaps is that instructing gets you thinking about what you do, why you move in a certain way or when to execute a particular technique to gain maximum effect, rather than learning to copy your sensei and do as he or she says simply because they say so. To learn a technique you need a teacher, but to learn why it works and when to use it you need to be a teacher.

Budo
Posted by: Omega-Point

Re: benefits of teaching - 11/23/02 01:49 PM

My sensei encourages all his BBs to teach stating, "you really begin to learn once you teach". Makes sense.
Posted by: senseilou

Re: benefits of teaching - 11/28/02 12:43 AM

Those who can do...those who can't teach doesn't apply to Sensei!! I think Cato summed it up the best and I agree 110% with everything he said. I personally teach by concept, not so much technique. I include principles and basics and teach the 'how and the why' things work or don't work. Teaching has made me very technical and it helps when we go full speed. I highly agree about breaking things down to a simplier level, this is a great thing to be able to do. But........What I would like to offer is a bit different. You have heard great reply's so I won't repeat what has already been beautifully said. But one thing I find that teaching does, is the ability to 'think' on your feet, when questioned by a student. Being able to explain things on levels, as the Shodan doesn't get the same answer as a 2nd kyu or the same as a 6th kyu or a 6th Dan. Alot of times, beginners can catch you off guard with questions, and you have to think on your feet. Also, someone may tell them 1 thing(even within the dojo) and you may give a different answer, now they want to know why the 2 answers. The ability to deal with this gives one insights to what they do. we teach basic blocks, reverse punches, basic locks, to beginners, but when they reach Black Belt we start giving them a different way to see what they do. Here come the questions. A Sensei needs to be sensitive to his students needs and questions, and only if you teach can you learn these things