Teaching Children

Posted by: Christopher Caile

Teaching Children - 08/04/01 04:14 PM

Teaching children is very different than teaching adults. Many teachers have effective methods and drills that both, keep the young students interest, while also teaching them technique. What do you do and do you have any special techniques or drills that you have found to be especially successful?
Posted by: j_hiebert

Re: Teaching Children - 08/04/01 06:54 PM

For a class warm-up, instead of the normal calisthenics avenue...I have used aerobic type games to get the young people started! Examples: Dodge ball, mini-obstacle course, mini races, or anything that stimulates the youngsters' interest, AND gets their hearts pumping and muscles loosened up.

Regards
J. Hiebert
(footnote) Unless I mis-read this initial question, I want to clarify that this is the "exception" to the normal training, and NOT the Daily Routine!

[This message has been edited by j_hiebert (edited 08-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by j_hiebert (edited 08-13-2001).]
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Teaching Children - 08/05/01 09:55 AM

Well after almost 25 years teaching youth, I find I only use traditional karate training. Addressing their attention spans Classes are only 1 hour long, and we normally change drills or activity about every 7 to 8 minutes.

Maybe once or twice a year we play some games, but that is not a regular occurance in our classes.

One way we keep the students minds involved is every class is structured differently from previous classes. We never follow the same order of instruction. This keeps their focus on the drills we are using. They never know what will be coming next.

We also practice with all ranks together. This inspires the junior students working with those who have passed their level previously, and for the seniors to remember how far they've come.

With this approach, however, different kyu may be using different techniques at the same time. For example the White belt may be working on front kicks, the Green belt may be working a front front kick round house combination and the Brown Belt may be working a double round house combination all at the same time.

Likewise for kata, we break them into appropriate kata groupings for instruction.

The reason I don't use games during training is simply I'm teaching karate, just as I would with my adults, and I'm loathe to have them spend time in activities which do not work to increase their skills.

Such is my vision of Youth Karate.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu www.funkydragon.com/bushi
Posted by: martinnitram

Re: Teaching Children - 01/28/02 09:58 AM

hi,

i have recently took up the task of teaching a self defence class to kids at a local College.
Thes kids may be to old for the games etc but what drills could i use to keep them interested.

i normally and will be teaching traditional shotokan karate and aiki jutsu but as it is a purley self defence class i was wondering if you guys have any extra ideas that i can put into my classes.

i will be teaching the basic kicks and punches aswell as self defence techniques like counters to grabs headlocks punches knifes and takedowns also pad work and fitness etc.

Do you have any drill ideas to keep them interested e.g multiple attacks etc

ill point them to my dojo if they wish to learn traditional karate but i have been asked to teach them self defense. They are aged between 16-18 years of age

thanx martin

[This message has been edited by martinnitram (edited 01-28-2002).]