Hard and fast rules

Posted by: Supremor

Hard and fast rules - 10/06/10 06:37 PM

The more experience I get working out, the less I plan my workouts. I used to micromanage every session down to the rest periods and so on, but now, I rarely come to the gym with a firm idea of what I'm going to do. Nonetheless I do good workouts and make good gains, and I think a lot of that is to do with the rules that you learn through experience. I was wondering if you guys had found the same. I think there must be a ton of little informal rules that I stick to in the gym, but the ones that are most prominent to me are the following:

1) Always start a session with a big compound exercise- deadlift and squat usually for me.

2) Always choose compound exercises over isolation ones

3) Doing a session based around maximum strength is tough- you can't go too heavy too often. I found this the other day when I did a 3 rep max deadlift test, and while I didn't have traditional muscle soreness, I felt drained for a few days afterwards.

4) Smaller muscles can take higher volume, larger muscles can't. I don't know where this rule has come from, but it really helps me in the gym with choosing a good rep number. I remember doing 4 x 8 deadlifts and not being able to put the weights back afterwards! blush

5) A week off is sometimes a good thing. It gives me a chance to really appreciate going back to training again, and I feel much more motivated.

There are many more which I follow somewhat consciously, somewhat unconsciously, but I think these are the ones I really live by. Some of them I know have been shown in research to be beneficial, others just "feel" right. The fact is, that I basically go to the gym and decide there and then what I'm going to do. I find that having these hard and fast rules makes that a lot easier. I wonder who else has a similar approach, or are you all too precise and well planned for me?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Hard and fast rules - 10/06/10 07:11 PM

What you are talking about is called 'instinctive training' methodology, and for those with experience and good level of self awareness it is a fine option. I had relied purely on instinct for many years until my leg injury last year, when the measured regimented nature of rehab work reminded me of the value of having some structure.

The trouble with 100% instinctive training, and not getting the same workout twice, is that it can be difficult to assess progress empiricaly, so you just rely on a sensation of having 'worked hard'. That lack of specificity can hamper progress over time if not carefull.

I now have a compromised set up, where I know a)what exercises i will be doing that day b)the volume of the workout (sets, rep ranges), and an 'ideal' order in which i will complete the exercises.
I then use 'instinctive' decisions to tailor the workout as I go, so for example, if a machine is being used when I want it, I can switch in an alternate exercise to maintain intensity, or change order until it becomes available later in the workout. Also with rep ranges, if i feel my body responding better to an unexpected rep range, then i will incorporate it on the spot for that day.

In this way, my workouts become like a blues jam - with freedom based on a loose underpinning structure that holds it together, as opposed to fully instinctive training, which is like experimental jazz.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Hard and fast rules - 10/07/10 09:38 AM

In life I am very structured so I carry that to my weight lifting. The day, what I'm going to do, the amount of sets, tentatively the amount of reps; all that I have decided before hand. And like Cord I use "instinctive" decisions while I work out.

I keep a log and I log myself in for my next workout to ensure that I work out. If I see I've been stagnant on a lift well such as the amount of reps or weight, I then write in what I want to do and I attempt that. When younger I must say it was easier to accomplish what I wrote down but now I find that much harder but doesn't stop me from trying.

In the older days I used to time myself between lifts and that was consistent however now I go by feel. On a lazy day I will take more time whereas on a day I have vim and vigor, I push the limits.

For days off, I agree sometimes it does give you time to reflect and appreciate weight lifting wanting you to come back at it harder. I usually take every stat day off; a fringe benefit I enjoy. I only work out during weekdays and in the past when I get my holidays at work, that is when I take a week(s) off lifting to re-energize.

I say do what works for you.