Hoping for some tips?

Posted by: Raff-Striker.

Hoping for some tips? - 10/02/10 06:06 AM

Hey, there everyone. I just saw a thread with a LOT of different workout plans. And I was reading over them, and I want to do some working out of course! You see, I'm...not that muscular. Actually, I have no muscles that appear on my body. No abs, nothing. Just a flat...stomach, and such.. It's embarrassing really. So, here is what I need tips on. First of all I don't have ANY work out equipment. Well, I did. Before my mother and father got divorced and he took all the equipment, but even then I never really "Worked out" Much at all.

So I want to know, you guys have anything you do without exercise equipment? Push ups, sit ups, crunches, leg lifts, anything. And...I can't do pull ups(I know...go ahead, I'm pretty sure ALL of you people here are laughing at me. I'm at a Martial Arts forum, and I can't even do pull ups. I want you ALL to get your laughs out now - And hopefully, you won't laugh at me with posts. But, if you must. I guess I encourage you to do so.) So with that said - What do you guys do? How many of what do you do? How many times a day? How many times a week? What works for you? What do you think I could try? What do you think COULD possibly work for me? Or even some tips would be great. All I really have is a 80lb heavy bag...Ever Last. Thank you for the help guys, it means a lot.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Hoping for some tips? - 10/02/10 09:39 AM

Hello and welcome.

Regarding workout plans for bodyweight exercises, I'm not sure TBH. That said check out this thread on here, probably one of the best sources of bodyweight exercises I've seen on the internet!!:

http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=234320#Post234320

Regarding Pull ups/Chin ups, you can get a Chin/Pull bar that is door mountable. Most modern chin/pull bars for home use are attached and removed by little safety wedges that latch on to your door frame. They are very cheap and you can do quite a few things with them. I had a quick scan on Amazon.com and honestly there are some pretty decent looking bars for under $30.

I know you said you aren't good at chin/pull ups, but here's something to consider... no one new to strength training is good at chins/pulls the first time! You need to develop your strength and technique by practcing. Get yourself a bar and just hang from it at the start. This will help work your grip strength. Gradually try and pull yourself up. Even if you manage to get a quarter of the way up, keep doing that for reps. It will build up over time, trust me.

Good luck.
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Hoping for some tips? - 10/04/10 06:15 AM

This thread here has a good selection of bodyweight exercises; I recommend having a look through and playing with some of them to see what you can and can't do before you settle on a program. Remember you can always alter it as you go until you find something that works.

I've found that I get the most benefit from bodyweight exercises when circuit training, but I'm generally only seeking a baseline fitness level to train kung fu. I have a door mountable pull-up bar, which is the only piece of equipment I really use on a regular basis, and run circuits of push-ups, pull-ups, pistols and a core exercise.

EDIT: I have just realised I've said pretty much the same as Prizewriter. Ah, well.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Hoping for some tips? - 10/07/10 01:02 PM

Hello Raff-Striker:

You've gotten some good links I think. There is a different angle I'd like to suggest to you.

There is no exercise, no activity I can think of where COMMITMENT, consistant dedication is not absolutely critical. As for PT exercises, weights, I cannot offer any help. If you lack equipment, there are gallon water jugs, there is string, rope, belts, weight plates, cans, stacks of phone books... any/all of which you can use quite helpful with any creativity, imagination.

Whatever you decide upon, commit to that, for a month, a long period of time. So that if nothing else you build the HABIT of exercise, no matter the inconvenience, or difficulty. Do that and the details will be easy...

One other factor to consider which we ALL must be aware. There is a difference between discomfort, and PAIN. Do not hurt yourself, well meaning and too intense. Nothing wrong with zealous, but do not hurt yourself. Mindful exercise beats careless/stupid risks every time.

Good luck,
Jeff
Posted by: Raff-Striker.

Re: Hoping for some tips? - 10/07/10 04:56 PM

Thank you everyone for the tips. ^_^ They have really helped me out a lot. Seriously, I mean...I didn't know there were so many ways of exercise. O-O So thank you everyone. ^_^