conditioning

Posted by: student_of_life

conditioning - 07/27/10 02:30 PM

hey guys,

i've been getting into kickboxing lately and started placing a lot more focus on my conditioning and i'd like some input on what im doing.

basically what i've been doing is running/skipping/swinging kettle bells for intervals. keeping in mind the 2 minute rounds for kickboxing.

skipping goes:

3-5, 2 minute rounds, with 30 seconds "breaks" where i do 1 push ups, 10 sit ups and 10 burpees. then skip again.

kettle bell:

10-12, 1.5 minute rounds, with 30 seconds of shadow boxing for a break. ( mix between swings, snatches, clean and press, turkish get ups, windmills)

running:

i've been sprinting for 1-1.5 minutes and jogging for 30 second - 1 minute breaks. the entire session lasts a half hour or a little longer. i'm not the kind of person who enjoys long distance running.

this is in addition to 2 kick boxing classes and 3 jiu jitsu classes a week. no real schedule, just when ever my body feels good and im not soar.

as you can see it's pretty limited, i don't have lot of money to hit a gym or buy equipment. i also play around on a pull up bar, but not enough to count really.

any tips on how to get more out of my limited time to work out and get competition ready would be appreciated. thanks guys.
Posted by: Cord

Re: conditioning - 07/28/10 04:45 AM

Well, I dont think you are on the wrong track given what you have to work with. You do need more structure in regards to volume, and also intensity though.

Skipping: Rather than break at 2 mins for other exercises, work for 3 mins, at varying speeds and hand techniques, then have a proper rest of 1 minute between rounds.

So a 3 minute structure might look like: 40 seconds 'standard', 20 seconds fast knee highs, 30 seconds standard, 30 seconds double jumps, 20 seconds standard w/ crosshands, 20 seconds left foot only, 20 seconds rigt foot only.

This varying of effort and movement is more in keeping with the demands placed on the body in a round of live fighting, and will deal with oxygen dept recovery during activity.

Running: You are not 'sprinting' for 1 minute plus. The body cant do that, you are just running faster wink . Thats ok though, this is known as 'fartlek' or interval training, and its a solid principle, though you have such a high volume of MA classes, that you need to reign this in to keep your body from overtraining.

True sprint drills are the way to go. Pace out a 60 yard stretch of safe running surface (grass ideally). Mark it out at each end.

Do a 5 minute warm up of jogging, lunge walking, knee-high and heels to butt runs from point to point.

Now simply complete 10 x 60 yard fast as you can, all out sprints, with a 60 yard recovery walk to the start point.

Thats it.

Kettlebells: The major issue here is that what is a KB's positives, can also be its negatives. Using the whole body and momentum can make for fantastic functional training. It can also lead to bad technique, coping bodymechanics and a lot of empty reps.

The mix of exercises looks good. I would recommend you slow every rep down a touch, and focus at all times on your core, not the movement of the kettlebell(s). By maintaining perfect technique and this being your focus over heart rate or duration of circuit, you will a) find the movements more challenging, and b) get more benefit from lesser amounts.

4-6 top quality circuits should be more than enough, when the power of each movement is being generated and directed through the body appropriately.

With 5 MA classes a week, you need only do each of the above once a week.

Try and time it so that you do the running/skipping on a BJJ day, and the KB work on a kickboxing day.

Every 4th week, do nothing but your MA classes, and let your body have some rest and recovery time.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: conditioning - 07/28/10 07:36 AM

thanks a lot cord. as usual, you are the man. i can't wait to get out and try the sprint drill. i'll let you know how it kicks my ass.