pushups HUA!

Posted by: BigWiggly

pushups HUA! - 07/23/10 07:20 PM

hey everyone, so I really don't mind doing pushups, but I need a little help. If anyone could give me some tips or exercises that can help me improve my pushup output without hurting my shoulders. I developed tendonitis a years ago and now that I am doing pushups on a regular basis I am experiencing a lot of pain that feels similar to what I had, when I was swimming. Got any help? please let me know! until then I'll just suck it up and pump em out. whistle
Posted by: MattJ

Re: pushups HUA! - 07/23/10 07:36 PM

Stop doing them. If they are causing you pain, you need to find out why. If it's a form issue, a physical trainer may be able to help. If it's tendonitis, you need to do something else. Your instructor should understand.

Re: pushups HUA! - 07/23/10 07:51 PM

unfortunately I would love to stop, but it is a requirement for the Air Force, and I can't get out of it. I'm just looking for something that can give me less stress but to still work the same manner.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: pushups HUA! - 07/24/10 04:07 AM

Good thing you only have to do like 5 pushups to get into the Air Force anyone can do that. Nah jk, but Matt's right you need to deal with the problem. Going to a doctor can undermine your efforts to get into the military so go see an athletic trainer at school (high school or college or whatever). And a good approach to pushups is to just do a lot of sub-maximum (i.e. not to failure) sets of all different variations. That helped me. Do sets of aybe 75% of the most you can do without stopping with 2 minutes between. Only do them maybe 3 times a week.
But again see someone first.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: pushups HUA! - 07/24/10 07:00 AM

That AF require ya to do push ups? lol I thought it was ride a bike? j/k

Are you trying to get in or already in? Already in I would say you could probably get a profile and not have to do them. If it is something that can't be fixed. Now if trying to get in then you might want to seek a therapist or doctor and see how it can be fixed.

Re: pushups HUA! - 07/24/10 11:29 AM

ok ok, and here come the jokes haha. yeah I am in the reserves and doing them less lately. the first few months when I started I didnt have any problems, but I am definatly going to see whats wrong. maybe I wont get another perfect score on my pt test but I can pump out the situps and run just fine to make up for it.
Posted by: Cord

Re: pushups HUA! - 07/24/10 02:24 PM

What you have to remember, is that volume in training, does not always equate to performance in the test. Its just not that easy smile

If your tendons are grumbling, then its a sign you are doing too much of something, and possible creating an imbalance in the body, so lets look at the various elements in a push up, and elimenate the irritating factors, whilst maintaining work that will help the exercise as a whole.

A push up is much more than a chest, shoulder, and tricep exercise. In the prone horizontal position, you are stressing your core, your upper back muscles. your quads, and even your calves. If any of these do not function in a stabilising fashion, your form goes south, and your push ups suffer. The upper back muscles also act as antagonists, and engage hard on the downward motion of the push up. The stronger they are, the less the chest has to contract negatively, and the more push ups you will be able to do.

So, in order to maintain a good level of push ups, without doing push ups, lets construct a training regime that will allow your shoulders to rest, but stress components of the movement.

1. Bent over Barbell Row. Overhand grip, weight through your heels, make sure you squeeze through the back and traps at the top of each rep

2. Plank. Concentrate on perfect position. Lock in the core, the quads and the ankles. Become as immovable as a face on Easter Island. Strong plank = perfect push ups.

3. Underhand, close grip pull ups. Get a full stretch at the bottom of the movement, then draw yourself up smoothly, pushing your hips forward, with tight abs, so your upper chest to the bar, not your chin. Pause at the top, and bottom, of the reps.

4. Tricep pushdowns. Keep the shoulder blades pulled back to 'open' your chest/shoulders. Abs tight, and go for moderate weight, and full technique. Do not allow yourself to 'muscle' the movement by hunching shoulders over the bar, or leaning too far forward.

Work on these exercises, in that order, 3 clean sets of each, 3 times per week. During this time do no chest work, no shoulder work, no push ups AT ALL.

Give it 4 weeks and see how you feel. I guarantee that you will not lose push up performance in this time.

Re: pushups HUA! - 07/24/10 06:35 PM

wow, thanks a lot Cord, I'll give that a go. I've been doing a couple of those exercises, but while doing pushups. I know at first I hadn't been properly using my back and chest muscles and I am absolutly sure that had a big part of it. I really appreciate the help and I'll keep to it and hopefully get checked out soon hah!
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: pushups HUA! - 07/24/10 06:42 PM

If you're already in then a profile is easy to get. And pt shouldn't really be a big par of things in the reserves anyway so don't worry too much unless you're AF security forces or something.

Re: pushups HUA! - 07/25/10 01:13 AM

I'm looking into the profile, and will be going active in the near future. I just don't want to be completely destroyed because of some kind of strain on my shoulders. I guess for a while I am just going to try less strenuous exercises so I don't loose any strength.