Running

Posted by: Prizewriter

Running - 07/09/10 01:44 PM

Hello all

This past year or so, since I moved away from my Olympic lifting gym (literally) I've been training by myself. As I am currently training for my own enjoyment and health, I eased of my Oly lifting, varied my strength training up and started doing a lot more running.

I occasionaly do some interval training to shake things up. Otherwise I run 2-3 times a week, usually between 2-3 miles. Nothing major. At the end of my run I could do a lot more, I just don't want to! I'm not training for a race, not trying to beat a PB, so I just go at my own pace. I have no other goal than to run until I want to stop.

Anyone here run? Why? For fun? Fitness? Competition? Conditioning for something else (e.g. Judo or Boxing)? Strength training (e.g. interval training)?

If so, do you have a routine?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Running - 07/09/10 02:45 PM

I have recently been running, typically only 1.5 - 2 miles or so, as to avoid overdoing it on the knees. Oddly enough, I have been doing it to help my breathing (as opposed to strictly for fitness), and I concentrate on breathing only through my nose.

I do not run for speed or competition. I run because I hate running, and I want to prove to myself that I could make myself do it.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Running - 07/09/10 04:08 PM

I don't remember where I read this, but I heard that studies have shown there's only one exercise that has been proven to raise HGH levels - wind sprints. I don't know why and I think the article just had speculation. But, the group that they had doing wind sprints vs all the other groups showed increased HGH levels. So, whenever my knees will allow it, if I'm going to run, I do wind sprints instead of long distance running.

Just thought it was something noteworthy.
Posted by: sstefan

Re: Running - 07/09/10 04:56 PM

I run 2 times a week about 4 miles for endurance training, the rest of the days i do the following: 1 min sprint and 2 min steady run for 15min, Sometimes i do some hill sprints too.
Posted by: Mark Jordan

Re: Running - 07/10/10 05:16 AM

I alternate my running (varies from 25min to about 35 mins) with strength training and also add up to 5-10 sprints per workout. I noticed that my body works more efficiently this way. BTW, when doing wind sprints you have to go back to the speed where you are going prior to the sprint to get the maximum benefit from it.