starting up again :(

Posted by: TheCrab

starting up again :( - 06/03/10 02:09 PM

Just started gym back up again, the facilities are quite good so any exercise is doable. anyhow, just posting the routine im doing for criticism/advice.

(all reps are 3-4 sets of 8-12, with about 1-2 minutes rest in between sets for flirting and being puffed ;D )

----------------------------------------
1:
Deadlifts.
Chinups.
Curls (depending how im feeling)
Shrugs.
Weighted decline situps.

2:
Bench/Dumbell Press
Incline Bench Press
Shoulder/Military Press
Calf Raises
------------------------------------------

Anything I could improve?

Also, wondering if anyone knows about hamstring use in Squats and Deads, is it worked enough in those to call it a day? im a bit worried since I cant have injuries due to muay thai.
Im doing both routines a day after eachother, then a day off, then repeat. weekends are a maybe.

cheers guys
Posted by: Cord

Re: starting up again :( - 06/03/10 06:03 PM

Looks good.

How are the knees?

As for hamstring work in squats and deads, providing your technique is good, then the glute/ham engagement is actually equal to quads, so will be perfectly balanced.

Just take it easy, get used to training regularly, and up the intensity over the next month or so.

Re: starting up again :( - 06/04/10 12:40 AM

cheers, knees are weird, completely fine with lifting massive weight as long as they keep above 90 degrees. below that I cant even crouch without massive pain.

yeah I've heard that too. was thinking it would be conflicting since hamstring usage would theoretically pull the other way while your quads are working?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: starting up again :( - 06/04/10 10:46 AM

Sorry to hear about the knees, crabby. Take care with them - it gets worse as you get older!

Re: starting up again :( - 06/05/10 03:29 AM

they might as well fall off if they get worse haha
Posted by: Cord

Re: starting up again :( - 06/05/10 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By: TheCrab

yeah I've heard that too. was thinking it would be conflicting since hamstring usage would theoretically pull the other way while your quads are working?

Not so. Actually think about the mechanics of a correct dead or squat. If you merely extended from the quads at the bottom of the movement, you would end up bent over at the waist at a right angle. The vast majority of the power needed in the movements come from the posterior chain - hamstrings, glutes/hips and back. They are both really pulling movements, though they do not look like it.

Re: starting up again :( - 06/05/10 02:14 PM

ah, that makes sense. Those situps kill, havnt been able to laugh or move properly in 2 days lol