exercise & food program for martial arts beginner

Posted by: hellbike

exercise & food program for martial arts beginner - 11/13/09 05:05 AM

Hello.

I Recently started learning martial arts, and i would like to boost my strenght/speed by excercising on my own.

I'm 180 cm and 75kg. I'm very weak and have awful condition (i'm almost passing out after running 500 meters).

I dont know if typical body-building program is right for me, because my aim is martial arts - not great figure or stuff like that.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: exercise & food program for martial arts beginner - 11/13/09 10:03 AM

You might want to look into Tabata workouts:

http://zentofitness.com/tabata-training-short-and-effective-workouts/

I used to do them on the heavy bag. Tremendous workout that will get your cardio in good standing quickly.
Posted by: Cord

Re: exercise & food program for martial arts beginner - 11/13/09 02:46 PM

If you cant run 500m , then Tabata might be a bit intense at this stage.

Your Martial art training will improve your strength and stamina naturaly for now, especially if you are starting from the level you say.

Think of where your fitness is now as the foot of a mountain, and what you want your body to be able to do as the summit.
Its no good starting out in a hurry, you could take the wrong route, or run out of supplies, or pack the wrong equipment in your haste to reach the top, and therefor never get close to it.

You have made a good start as you have a clear route - you are a martial artist, who wants his training to make him a better martial artist. Thats a clear path to follow.

The supplies you need to attain that goal are : speed, power, flexibility, and mobility.

The equipment you need to make your ascent will be : Martial arts classes (most important), and a gym. Now I know that Martial arts movies show awesome dudes being awesome while training on jungle gyms, in forests, underwater, whatever - but in real life the actors are gym users. You dont set out to climb a mountain with a ball of twine and a bobble hat, hoping for the best. You need professional grade tools to give yourself the best chance of success.

So, start as you mean to go on - joining a Martial arts class is the best way to learn those skills, and joining a reputable, supervised gym is the best way to learn how to exercise in a way that will help you reach your mountain top.
Posted by: LivingR

Re: exercise & food program for martial arts beginner - 11/13/09 08:36 PM

Cord has it right. What you need right now is patience and dedication. The speed and power will come with time.