Will weightlifting help me become heavier?

Posted by: Alicia

Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 10/30/09 02:32 PM

Hi,
-I would like to become heavier without becoming fatter. Will weightlifting alone help me do this, or do I have to take weight gaining supplements and protein shakes? I don't want to take any of those, and I don't want to have excessive amounts of meat.
I read the post about weightlifting beginners and it mentioned to up the protein intake quite a bit.
-Also, I don't want to lose any speed or agility if I become heavier, so if I gain a lot of muscle mass, will this compromise my speed?
I was told a long time ago that even if I weight train obsessively everyday for a year, for example, I might not even gain 4lbs of muscle. Is this true?
Whatever the outcome with muscle gain, I will still weight train more consistently to get stronger, but I was just wondering if I could get heavier too.

Thanks in advance,
Alicia.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 10/30/09 03:28 PM

Hi Alicia. Gaining weight by muscle will probably be very difficult, unless you are extremely under-nourished. Women have a different hormonal balance that makes muscle gain very challenging. Dietary changes would probably be neccesary to accomodate the growth you are looking for.

However, gaining muscle mass will not make you slower. How much weight are you looking to gain?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 10/30/09 05:47 PM

Alicia, a few things. What ever muscle you do gain, train your muscle for how you want to use it. If you want good speed and agility then train your muscle this way; I will guarantee you will be more agile and quicker. This is why pro athletes weight train. (see how I underlined train)

In order to build muscle you need to provide it fuel. You need the fuel to do this strenuous lifting as well. You don't have to over due it and can grow into in step by step. Without proteins to build the muscle your body will cannibalize it and the two places it will be is your muscle and your immune system. You will end up being counter productive and I'm sure that is not what you are looking for. And nobody likes being run down and sick.

What ever you decide to do, start slow. Let your body adapt to the stresses you are putting on it. Let your mind work to adjust to it, because the hardest part is not only starting but getting over the first hump. DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) you will feel and what scares a lot of people away. Trust us, this will go a way and you will relish it at times later; go figure.

Good luck.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 10/30/09 07:52 PM

All good stuff so far, though I would say that in someone of either sex that is not lifting regularly, a switch to a weights programme will cause an increase in muscle density, as well as bone density, regardless of hormone balance.

Fortunately, the exercises that will maximise muscle weight, are also the ones that will help maintain and improve speed and power.

Working on the presumption that you have access to a gym, and instruction/advice from someone who has a rough idea of what they are doing, I would suggest the following.

Work predominantly on the legs, derrier, and back. These are the biggest, most powerful muscles in the body, and the easiest to add 'weight' in. For the woman in you, the increased tone and form in these areas increases the ratio from waist to shoulder, making you appear slimmer, and for the athlete in you, you are training the 'posterior chain' which is the source of all power and performance as a biped.

Dont get over fixated on your upper body - loads of trainers will tell you 'light weight, high rep' with lots of 'isolation' or 'toning' exercises. Ball$. Thousands of women, wasting hundreds of thousands of hours doing nothing in this manner. Your upper body should use bodyweight as a guide - why f*ck about arm curling a pair of biscuits when you could be doing chin-ups?

So, you need: Squats, weighted lunges, deadlifts, leg press, chins, and dips.

Workout A.
Squats: 4x8-10
Weighted Lunges: 4x8-10
Chins: 4x *

Workout B.
Deadlifts: 4x8-10
Leg Press: 4x8-10
Dips: 4x *

Phase 1. 2 weeks.
Monday: A
Thurs: B

Phase 2. 2 weeks.
Mon: A
Wed: B
Fri: A
Mon: B
Wed: A
Fri: B

Phase 3. 1 week.
Mon: A
Tue: B
Thur:A
Fri: B

Phase 4. 1 week.
Wed: Weighted Lunges 4x8-10

Begin with phase 1 again.

Nutrition is important, but you dont have to go crazy with protein - its not all you need. Get plenty of good carbs, lots of veggies and keep to lean proteins like fish and chicken. Aim for 3 square meals a day, plus a couple of nutritious snacks, that should be fine smile
Posted by: Ogoun

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 10/31/09 08:07 PM

You have had some good advice so far. I will paraphrase what I agree with and add some.
Low weight, high repetition
Intensity
Use the overload principle - work the muscles to exhaustion
Specifity- train the muscles the way you use them in your MA training.
get plenty of rest- dont train the same muscle everyday; one day arms and/chest, next day back, third day legs and the cycle begins over again. Make sure you save at least one full day for rest. You don't want to overtrain.
Nutrition- everything you need, you can get from a well-balanced diet. All the supplements end up in the latrine anyway, unless you are malnourished.
Don't worry about being bulky, you don't have sufficient male hormone in your body to bulk up.
If you don't have access to a well-equipped gym, you can use plyometrics or your own body weight and gravity.
With te increased muscle mass, you will develop higher bone density, which you will appreciate later in life.
Posted by: hope

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 10/31/09 11:39 PM

Could someone please clarify the debate for and against "low weight, high reps"? Cord seems to think it's a waste of time, Ogoun recommends it. I have been repeatedly told that it is "good for women", presumably because it builds stamina without bulk (although hormones would probably not permit bulk anyway).

For the record, I'm also a small female. Having worked out for years with small weights has definitely not made me bulky. I can do a lot of pushups, though, and my bone density tests as high. Not sure whether this is due to the weights or to generally being very active.
Posted by: THEGENERAL

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 11/01/09 01:48 AM

Highest number of reps I would ever do is 12 for weight training. The only type of exercise I would do more reps than 12 would be something like calf raises or shrugs. Anything else would just mean I'm using too little weight/intensity. Same goes for anyone else but people using weights for endurance training or rehab...

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 11/01/09 04:42 AM

Building stamina with high rep resistance work (high rep weight training), is inefficient, and bad for the joints long term.

There are no gender specific rep ranges, our CNS responds to training stimuli in the exact same way, if it didnt, then every 'behind the scenes' look at womens track and field would show elite female athletes training on trampets with pink plastic 4lb dumbells from wallmart wink

To stimulate muscle growth, the most effective way is to 'shock' the muscles with a workload that it feels unable to manage. This is what we call 'training to failure'. Whilst there is some debate as to the optimum volume @ which failure should occur (some train with reps as low as 3, through to as high as 15), a good, solid, tried and tested method is to use weights that limit you to 8-10 reps with a lot of control and conscious 'mind-body connection' in each rep (really 'feeling' the technique)

That is the same for both sexes, and neither man nor woman will 'inflate' beyond where they want to be overnight, if it was that easy to put on muscle, then there would be a lot more Arnie's in the world.

For women, their hormonal balance is against them 'bulking up' even if they dedicate themselves to that goal, let alone it happening by accident, but by not being afraid to lift serious weight, female's can benefit from the strength, performance and metabolic advantages that efficient and physiologicaly effective lifting give you.
Posted by: hope

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 11/01/09 01:16 PM

Thanks, Cord! Think I'll change some things in my workout. The little handweights I've been using (8 pounds) are not heavy enough for "failure" in 15 reps (!).

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 11/01/09 11:38 PM

Thanks for all your feedback, everyone.

Dereck, I'm not sure what you mean by training my muscles for speed ... do you mean, just train consistently, or use weights while I'm shadow boxing, for example?

At the moment, I'm recovering from ankle injuries on either ankle and I'm so annoyed. One was major, and the other, minor. The physiotherapist said they both should heal within a few weeks, so I won't be able to do squats yet.I have been only able to do weightlifting that won't push my ankles. But, in a few weeks, I can follow the routine that you have suggested, Cord. Thanks for the detailed plan!

Cord, I have some questions about the routine: For squats, should I use the maximum weight I can lift, or less? I use the bench press machine for squats, so I can lift a lot more weight than I probably could if I just used a barbel. My friend told me that by spine will compress if I squat a lot of weight. Is this true?

So, I guess I should eat a little more meat, as a few days a week, I usually have none. If I could build 10-15lbs of muscle and bone mass, that would be great.

Once again, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

-Alicia.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 11/02/09 09:23 AM

Quote:
Dereck, I'm not sure what you mean by training my muscles for speed ... do you mean, just train consistently, or use weights while I'm shadow boxing, for example?

Definitely do not use weights while shadow boxing; that is counter productive and can add injury.

What I am referring to is to lift how you want your muscles to react. If you want to be explosive then lift explosively, in other words don't lift slow. WITH good form/technique, lift adequate weight where you are able to lift explosively. You are training your muscles in a way that you want them to react when you use them. Explode with your lifts

Most of your benefits for lifting come from the negative portion of the lift. If you want you can lift explosive and lower slower, just don't lift too slow that you can't be explosive on your next lift.

Cord may be better able to explain what I'm trying to say but that is the legist. Like athletes/fighters they train their bodies to be productive at what they are trying to accomplish. They are not lifting like weight lifters/body builders. Their key goal is to be able to use their muscles to be bigger, faster and stronger then their competition/opponent. Obviously their goals to be better at what they do also comes with getting more muscle which means also weighing more but the muscle they gain responds in the way they train it.

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 11/03/09 01:52 AM

"If you want to be explosive then lift explosively."

That makes sense to me. Thanks for the clarification, Dereck.

Re: Will weightlifting help me become heavier? - 11/03/09 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Dereck
Cord may be better able to explain what I'm trying to say but that is the the gist.

Couldn't have put it better myself Bro', but to give an example, check out Ronnie Coleman's Bench press in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mq5KQrW38Q

Ignore the fact that He only ever does 'partial reps', as that is not the discussion, but look at the tempo and what he is actually doing to the bar.
The bar is lowered, not slowly, but slower, and controlled, then the actual press is fast, but again, not uncontrolled, its almost like he is 'throwing' the bar away from the chest. As the weight increases (this progression of increasing weight/decreasing reps is known as 'pyramiding'), the tempo and that sense of explosivity in the positive motion of the reps never stops.
Thats strong explosive lifting, and its that kind of tactic that makes Ronnie one of the strongest bodybuilders ever.