cross fit

Posted by: student_of_life

cross fit - 08/17/09 01:57 PM

i've been trying some of their stuff out, mostly the "fran workout" lately and it's kicking my ass hardcore. i love it. it's the most intense workout i've ever done.

i've been reading peoples coments and i've come accross conflicting reviews. like i said, i enjoy it. but i've herd people say its not good for athlets because of the high reps and some other stuff. is anyone else familiar with the system? what do you think of it?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: cross fit - 08/17/09 04:34 PM

I think crossfit is a great idea in general, and those that are criticizing it are being a bit disingenuous. If you are a serious athlete, you probably have a trainer and a nutritionist to help you out with your training, and I doubt crossfit is being specifically marketed to these rare individuals. People too often think they should do what athletes do, forgetting the often excellent genetics and already high level fitness attributes that athletes possess.

Crossfit, IMO, is very well suited to martial arts training. It is focused on building a number of key attributes, rather than specializing in one area. It is certainly true that martial artists need many attributes- explosiveness, quickness, flexibility, stamina etc. etc. For this, crossfit seems to fit the bill.

Of course, you don't have to follow the workouts blindly irrespective of your own strengths and weaknesses or your goals. And you can certainly mix workouts like "fran" with other fitness activities. For me, even if I was doing a crossfit workout once or twice a week, I would also include a maximum strength workout, because that just happens to be something I like to focus on.

T-nation did an article on crossfit a while back, and generally had positive things to say about it:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_artic..._about_crossfit

Lastly, if you're really enjoying it and feeling like you're getting a good benefit, then it's probably a good thing!
Posted by: Cord

Re: cross fit - 08/17/09 05:08 PM

Crossfit as a concept is fine. They are not the originators of functional strength endurance training, nor are they the only player in that game. They are however, the best known, and widely marketed.

The trouble in their programmes is that Crossfit takes the idea of functional conditioning, and insulates it, so that for many, it ceases to be a tool to give you applicable attributes for other persuits (martial arts, sports, etc), and becomes the only endeavour in the trainees life. Hence 'crossfit challenges' and competitions etc.

Using it judiciously, as a tool, without losing sight of the bigger picture (your real interest - MA), and adapting the volume and frequency to compliment, not dominate, that persuit, is the key.

You might look at 'Training for warriors' by the Parisi speed school and Renzo Gracie. Its a book and DVD combo, quite expensive, but an excellent resource for showing how to use such exercise to improve martial ability.
I dare say you could find it on file share sites if you have no morals about such things.
Posted by: crossfit

cross fit - 09/15/09 05:34 AM

Crossfit as a concept is fine. They are not the originators of functional strength endurance training, nor are they the only player in that game. They are however, the best known, and widely marketed.Thanks for sharing your concepts about crossfit.