New routine

Posted by: JoelM

New routine - 02/09/09 09:16 AM

Starting to put together a new workout routine and figured some of you guys may know a little more than me. So here we go.

Goals- increase cardiovascular fitness as well as strength gains. Aesthetic improvements will be appreciated, but merely a by-product and not focused on.

Schedule-
I work Mon-Fri. Usually do 10-15 minutes on recumbent bike before work every morning. Workout sessions to be done after work Mon, Wed, and Fri. Sat-Sun rest days, but possibility of Sat sessions.

Possible exercises and current lifting range (not all inclusive or exclusive to new routine)-
*pullup- 4x5-7
*dips- 4x7-10
*hanging leg raise- unsure
squat- 4x10 with 120lb sandbag, possibly making heavier bags
pushup- unsure, never really done to failure or max
*farmer's walk- equipment in building stage, will be a week or so
overhead press/push press- op unsure, pp 4x6 85lbs (done in supersets with pullups and dips before, probably more if done alone)
deadlift- 4x8 145lbs (max weight available for barbell)
lunge- unsure
exercise bike and wavemaster to do HIIT and regular cardio on

*-preferred to have in new routine

Equipment-
50lb sandbag
70lb sandbag
10lb medicine ball
power tower (pullup, dip, roman chair)
20lb barbell with 125lb in plates to add on
farmer's walk- getting ammo cans and weight to put inside (not ready yet)
recumbent exercise bicycle
wavemaster punching bag

no gym membership, prefer to keep it that way

Thoughts and recommendations accepted along with the occasional smart-ass remark.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: New routine - 02/09/09 09:30 AM

Farmer's walk is a great exercise. I have just started getting into those, as they minimize irritaton to my shoulders and elbows. Can't go wrong with pullups/dips, either.
Posted by: Cord

Re: New routine - 02/09/09 10:44 AM

All looks good- with your sandbag squats, a nice variation, that really emphasises the 'sit back' motion, is to do alternate shoulder reps, starting in the bottom position, with the bag resting upright on the knees, you put your left shoulder into the balance point, and stand upright with it. You then reverse the motion till the bag is resting on your knees, and you then shoulder the balance point on your right and stand up. Keep alternating as the set progresses. The manual manipulation and functional core work from this is phenomenal.

If you were to do 8 supersets of this, combining it with Dips and chins- that would be a complete workout.

Sets 1,3,5,7: alternating shoulder squats super set with Pull ups

Sets 2,4,6,8: superset with dips.

Now thats a good workout- gonna do this myself tomorrow with my beer keg

Re: New routine - 02/09/09 11:02 PM

Cord, you suck! Why is it whenever you give me a new workout to do I do it and then I am sore? And why haven't I learned yet?

Seriously, that was a hell of a workout, quite enjoyable. I was able to do 6 supersets, 3 each of pull ups and dips. The first three sub-sets of squats were with the 70# bag, the last three with the 50# bag because I didn't want to die. A little awkward with the bags at first, but I got into a groove. Tried not to use my hands as much, but the bags were hard to balance.

Felt a lot more work done in my pecs today, whether from the squats or the dips. The dips I adjusted last time to feel a lot better. I had gone with my upper arms past horizontal previously and it caused pain in my collarbone. Not going past horizontal I felt no pain at all, even when I felt very slight tinges while shouldering the bag in the squats.

I think that this will be a staple workout for me for a while. I like it.

I've been thinking of getting a keg to do some lifting work with, do you like yours, Cord?

Re: New routine - 02/09/09 11:10 PM

With one of my workouts set, how about this for a second on Wednesdays-

lunges
pushups
hanging leg raises
farmer's walk

Will the hanging leg raises wear on my forearms too much to get good work from the farmer's walks? If so I could do them from the roman chair position like I usually do (I balance on my elbows, back not touching the pad). I also want to be sure I'm working as much of the full body as I can during the 2 sessions per week.

For my third of the week I was going to do HIIT on the wavemaster or exercise bike. That would be on Friday night or sometime Saturday, unless that should take the place of my usual biking on Friday morning. Again, this is all with doing light pedaling on the bike M-F mornings.

Re: New routine - 02/09/09 11:11 PM

Quote:

Farmer's walk is a great exercise. I have just started getting into those, as they minimize irritaton to my shoulders and elbows. Can't go wrong with pullups/dips, either.

What weights/distance do you do them, Matt?

Re: New routine - 02/10/09 03:47 AM

Quote:

lunges
pushups
hanging leg raises
farmer's walk

You can certainly do roman chair leg raises if you wish, but the other alternative is to tweek things to this:

overhead sandbag Lunges
Hanging leg raises
Push ups
Farmers Walk

This would give strategic relief to your grip whilst still doing max intensity versions of all exercises.

On the shouldering squats- dont worry too much about having to grab the bag and 'muscleing' it up- thats a good thing- you just have to make sure that your shoulder is positioned so the bag balances naturaly on the shoulder at the top of the squat- dont want to be pulled forward or backward too much.

Quote:

For my third of the week I was going to do HIIT on the wavemaster or exercise bike.

Tabatas session on the bag would be great
Posted by: MattJ

Re: New routine - 02/10/09 07:20 AM

Quote:

What weights/distance do you do them, Matt?

Nothing great. About 60lbs (27.3kg) each hand, for about 100 ft (33m), 4 sets with 1 minute jump rope in between.
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: New routine - 02/10/09 04:08 PM

Great workouts mate. If you still want to do leg raises, just do them as you do pullups, kind of like a v-up. After a while, you can change this to a sort of window wiper movement. This can help develop that twisting strength thats so important for MA. It can be difficult to get it right, but its a cracker if you get the hang of it.

Re: New routine - 02/11/09 04:37 AM

Quote:

The dips I adjusted last time to feel a lot better. I had gone with my upper arms past horizontal previously and it caused pain in my collarbone.

Good adjustment. In stopping parallel, or just past parallel, as opposed to dropping all the way through, you actually work the pecs harder, as they have to engage to stop your descent. It also negates stretch reflex, meaning the contraction is not assisted in any way.

Quote:

I've been thinking of getting a keg to do some lifting work with, do you like yours, Cord?

oh yes indeed I do If you get one, make sure it has been de-pressurised and that you can fill it easily and just cork it.

Mine is still pressurised, and contains about 60 litres of out of date strongbow cider.

its not too much of a problem, but every now and then I have to vent the gas pressure so it doesnt turn into a huge shrapnel bomb

Re: New routine - 02/12/09 08:55 AM

Pretty good workout!

overhead sandbag Lunges 4x10 alternating (5 each set/set) 50lb sandbag
Hanging leg raises 4x10
Push ups 4x10 medicine ball triangle pushups
Farmers Walk 2 sets walk to neighbor's mailbox and back (about 50 steps each direction)

Feeling good, I'll do it at least 2 more times before I tweak it any. On to the intervals on Friday....

Re: New routine - 02/13/09 11:53 PM

Oi!!! Gotta love those second day DOMS! It's funny that when you're doing the hanging leg raises you don't really hurt or feel a huge burn when you get to your max, at least for me. I just couldn't do any more once I got there. Now today my entire front section from my ribs to my groin was on fire when I had to do certain things at work. And while grilling some burgers for dinner I tried to see if I could do a couple of reps on the power tower.... nothing doing.

Wow, I guess that means they're working.

Re: New routine - 02/23/09 11:02 PM

So I've been thinking of adding a little more to my schedule. Having the Intervals work on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and adding another lifting session on Friday or Saturday.

That would make it:
mon evening- shouldering squats,pullups, dips
tue morning- bike intervals
wed evening- lunge, pushups, leg raise, farmer's walk
thu morning- bag intervals
fri evening or sat- new lifting session

Are the mornings too soon after the evenings? I bike m-f mornings anyways, but much more low-key, just to get the blood flowing. I would also have to figure out what to do for Fri/Sat as well. I could restart the squats/pullups/dips and just alternate the two workouts, or a new set.

The current schedule is going fine, I just want to amp it up a little more. But without overtraining!

Re: New routine - 02/24/09 03:27 AM

I see no problem with what you propose Joel, and as for the 'extra' workout, what about a plyometric session - low volume, and an important aspect of sports performance.

Just a thought.

Re: New routine - 02/24/09 08:39 AM

I like, I like! But, uh, I have no idea how to formulate the session. Do you have any suggestions of sessions or places I could look to formulate one? I downloaded the P90X plyometrics workout but I haven't even looked through it, I think it's an hour long.

Re: New routine - 02/24/09 10:07 AM

A lot of people misunderstand the nature of plyometric work.
1 hour of plyo is way too much to actually see performance benefit from it. The value comes in much the same way as you derive from 5x5 work - its the explosive positive reps that do you the good. Too many grind plyo work into exhaustion - thats fine if you are using it as a form of high intensity cardio, but if you are trying to increase speed and power, it is not going to happen.

Have to go to bed now, but will post a plyo workout for you this evening
Posted by: Ilove2Hit

Re: New routine - 02/26/09 09:48 AM

good night cord!

Re: New routine - 02/28/09 03:31 AM

Doh! sorry about the delay, kind of got caught up elsewhere.

Right, plyometric routine, here goes:

Combination of spotty dogs, star jumps and alternate lunges to warm up- dont knacker yourself, just get the joints oiled.

1. Plyo partial push ups.

You will need two platforms about a couple of inches thick - a couple of phone books would do. PLace them down where your hands would be for a set of push ups.
Now get in push up position, with your hands on the floor inside the gap between the phone books.
From here, you 'hop' your hands up and out onto the books, then 'hop' them out to the floor on the outside of them, then return the same way until you are back inside the books. Thats 4 'hops' per complete movement. These are not full push ups, these are just enough to get you through the 3 positions. Doesnt sound like much, but its hard work

2. Bent over row-bounce.

Same principle as the push ups above. Lock into position for bent over barbell row, pull the bar up to full contraction. Hold it there (or close to there), and start 'jumping' your grip out wide, then back to normal. You will end up holding the bar less evenly, so prepare for that and control it through your core. You will, of course, use some momentum, and body movement, just maintain the relationship between locked hips and a flat back, with shoulder blades pulled tight. When you cant hold the bar at more than a 20 degree bend in the elbow, you are done.

3. Forward jump, reverse lunge.

Stand feet together. Drop in good poosture (like squatting), then jump as far forward as you can under control. Now reverse lunge back to your start position- should take two lunges, like large alternate backward steps, to get you back to the start.

4. Sandbag throw and catch.

Stand with the sandbag held in the crook of your elbows, palms up, resting on your forearms, like you are a forklift truck.
Now, bend at the legs, and explode upward (like a hang clean), throwing the bag up in the air. As you catch it, descend so as to dissipate the impact on catching. This turns the reps into one contnuos motion.

Thats it for now.

4 sets of each. Be aware of how much 'oomph' you are getting in your reps, and your lveel of fatigue. When you start to feel 'leaden' or your posture goes to cr4p in the effort of getting the reps, the set is over.

Rest 2 mins between sets. Some say longer, I say dont cool down when doing plyo work.

Let me know what you think.

Re: New routine - 03/03/09 09:15 PM

EUREKA!!!

I figured out why my shoulder was hurting during my dips sometimes. My elbows were pulling away from my sides. As soon as I made a mental effort to keep them at my side, it felt so much better. Plus seemed to work my chest more.

YAY EPIPHANY!!

Re: New routine - 03/03/09 09:27 PM

Cord, thanks a bunch for this help, I have a few questions before I get them down.

Am I trying to keep my body at the same level, or doing small pushups to bounce?

2. Bent over row-bounce.
Similar question, am I keeping the bar at as level of a position as possible during the jumps? I'm not 100% on the last part about when to stop.

3. Forward jump, reverse lunge.
Cool, I think I got it.

I like it. I assume I will keep my feet on the ground as much as possible.

One last thing....What's a spotty dog?

I think that's it for now. When I try it out I might video it to get some pointers. Once again, all is much appreciated.

Re: New routine - 03/04/09 11:13 AM

Quote:

Am I trying to keep my body at the same level, or doing small pushups to bounce?

You will 'bounce' a little, but you are not over emphasising it. The fatigue you feel should be more intense in the shoulders and core, not the pecs and triceps- its more a whole body utilisation to 'jump' onto and over the obstacles. Your mental visualisation of it being a quick and rhythimic movement is correct though.

Quote:

2. Bent over row-bounce.
Similar question, am I keeping the bar at as level of a position as possible during the jumps? I'm not 100% on the last part about when to stop.

Again, here you are using the locked in position and small 'pull' on the bar just to reach that point of 'zero gravity' in the hands that allows you to slide the hands in and out easily. There will be small levels of articulation, but its not gross movement.
The arm position is just to give you a pointer in regards to when the fat lady has sung in that set - your arms will fatigue, and 'lengthen' at the elbow (like you are losing an arm wrestle), and you dont want staright arms, a relaxed upper back, and using lower back momentum to keep a set going past the point of value. When the arms are nearly straight, and the shoulder blades cant squeeze together, its set over.

Quote:

I like it. I assume I will keep my feet on the ground as much as possible.

Yes, but you do want every last bit of upward drive out of your legs, so you will come up on your toes at the top of the movement. If you jump a bit, thats fine, just keep your stance, posture and control.

Quote:

One last thing....What's a spotty dog?

Start in a shallow lunge position, left foot forward , right back. Have your right arm up, and your left arm back. Now jump up (only equivalent drive to a star jump) and swap position to land in an exact mirror image. Keep repeating, so it looks like a jumping march on the spot.

Not sure if that makes sense even to me, but I hope it helps
Posted by: lowcostwebdesign

Low Cost Web Designs - 03/04/09 03:11 PM

Posted by: clmibb

Re: SPAM!!!! - 03/04/09 04:23 PM

Ban this guy please.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: SPAM!!!! - 03/04/09 05:04 PM

Ban, why? He's advertising which is allowed.

This person was nice enough to provide an e-mail; I think that is swell. I am going to use this to sign up on ever possible site that I know he will get spammed from. He can thank me later.

Re: New routine - 03/04/09 07:03 PM

Much appreciated, Cord. I will let you know how everything goes this weekend. I am looking forward to the plyo work.

Re: New routine - 03/14/09 12:48 AM

Maybe an issue here. When grasping my barbell for the bent over row, I can only move my hands out about 3 inches before hitting the collars and weight plates. Doesn't give much room for sliding out and back. I must have a short bar...

Thoughts?

Re: New routine - 03/14/09 05:12 AM

Start with a narrower grip, so at th top of the movement, your thumb knuckles touch your top 2 ab sections (should give you a space between hands of about 7 inches). Use that as your 'in grip' and near the collars as your 'out'.
Remember that you are keeping the top position, and just 'bouncing' the grip wide/narrow.

If you cant get the hang of it, you can do the same with overhand pull-ups, but that is a real tough progression

Re: New routine - 03/15/09 02:03 AM

Thanks, dude. I'll let you know how it goes.

Re: New routine - 03/15/09 05:34 PM

Wooo! I did the plyo pull-ups instead of the row. That is something else. I was only able to do three sets of 4, and that last set was a struggle. Really gets the hands as well. I think I like those better, I just felt a little weird with the row when I tried it out. I'll give the plyo pull-ups a few more weeks and see how they do for me. I just have to make sure and keep good form and stop when my muscles tell me my set is over.

Re: New routine - 03/15/09 05:43 PM

Cool. Remember that you are holding yourself at the top of the pull-up and just 'hopping' the hands in and out

Re: New routine - 03/22/09 07:30 PM

Just to let everybody know, I'm still plugging away at my routine and enjoying it quite a bit. I don't think I'll ever be able to keep a full journal online, but my workout notebook is getting fuller and fuller. Hopefully there won't be too many empty dates on it.

Feel the burn!