strengthening the wrists?

Posted by: Tom2199

strengthening the wrists? - 06/02/08 02:05 PM

what are some ways of stregthening the wrists and forearms, i think this would help with my BJJ.

Thanks in advance
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: strengthening the wrists? - 06/02/08 02:13 PM

http://www.themuscleshop.co.uk/product.php/528/0

what about this, any good?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: strengthening the wrists? - 06/02/08 02:31 PM

Quote:

http://www.themuscleshop.co.uk/product.php/528/0

what about this, any good?

Might help, but I think it is unnecessary if you are going to the gym a couple of times a week. Deadlifting, in my opinion is a fantastic builder of forearm strength. If you want to supplement it, you can do farmers walks; but honestly after a few sets of deadlifts, you won't need any supplementary work.

Other than that, rope climbing can be very beneficial. All these things require minimum equipment if you are at a gym, and are probably a good deal more effective than this Everlast gadget.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: strengthening the wrists? - 06/02/08 02:32 PM

I wouldn't really worry about strengthening wrists/forearms seperately. Just work deadlifts or bent-over rows, you'll get good effect from that. I also used to do pinch-grip lifts carrying weight plates up and down the stairs in my house, which was useful for my BJJ stuff (we train in gi).
Posted by: shitosempei

Re: strengthening the wrists? - 06/02/08 06:15 PM

What about finishing your workout with a few simple wrist and reverse wrist dumbbell curls?
Posted by: Borrek

Re: strengthening the wrists? - 06/04/08 10:56 PM

Hang 2 hand towels over a pull up bar, and grasp one in each hand. Just do regular pull ups and you'll see a nice grip increase.

this is a bit off topic, but I found my judo grappling got better when I stopped worrying about gripping hard and used more "cupping" grips and other parts of my body to trap my opponent. The only thing that I really use a grasping type grip on is chokes with the gi, and I've never had a gi slip in my grip.