Conditioning workout

Posted by: SteveH

Conditioning workout - 06/02/08 10:32 AM

I am an instructor (Tang Soo Do) and I find myself taking a break due to my work sending me overseas for a few months. I miss it terribly, but I have decided to use my time in trying to develop a single workout that I can use and reccommend to my students. I wanted it to be quick - no more than 40 minutes - and able to be performed on alternate days.

This is what is it about and how I have been performing. I have included the weights that I used but that is obvoiusly open to interperetation by individuals - heavier or lighter - however the idea is to be able to do reps. of 10 or 20 for 6 sets - so go light.

1/ Squats (barbell - 50kg) X 20
2/ Bicep curls (Dumbell 10kg) X 20
(Alternate with Concentrated curls)
3/ Calf raises (40kg) X 20
4/ Bench press (60kg) X 10
5/ Leg press (70kg) X 20
6/ Tricep extensions (7.5kg) x 20
(Alternate with tricep kickbacks)
7/ Crunches X 20 (I use a fitball and 9kg medicine ball)

That's one set and I have been puching out six all-up.

Now the secret is to move very quickly between each exercise and limit breaks between sets to 45 seconds (one minute max).

I time each set and try to move quick enough to complete each set in 4Min 30sec. - so just over 5 minutes with a break.

This is done on alternate days and I run (3 - 5 km) on other days.
Try it and let me know - it's really working for me.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Conditioning workout - 06/02/08 10:54 AM

Too many reps for me. Inviting tendon damage from over-use. Don't see anything for the back - maybe swap the leg-press for deadlifts, since you are already doing sqauts.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: Conditioning workout - 06/02/08 11:00 AM

mattj's right. tendon and ligament damage will ensure from this.

also the weights and sets are a bit high, 6 sets of 20 squats on 50 kilos is going to screw them over if they dont know how to lift that properly.

Not a great routine mate, too much work, not enough rest, and its a bit scrambled too in the order of the exercises.
plus the factor you have to remember is that relatively few people can actually perform the correct exercises, so I hope you can show them.
Ill just wait for cord to make one since i suck lol
Posted by: jude33

Re: Conditioning workout - 06/02/08 12:09 PM

If it works for you then fine.

But to suggest to others I think it is an incomplete and unbalanced workout.

Jude
Posted by: THEGENERAL

Re: Conditioning workout - 06/02/08 03:49 PM

Do you think that maybe this is only working just on the fact that you are doing some sort of weight training? I don't know your weight lifting background, but beginners can do the most unbalanced routine and see some degree of results regardless.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Conditioning workout - 06/03/08 05:41 AM

Quote:

1/ Squats (barbell - 50kg) X 20
2/ Bicep curls (Dumbell 10kg) X 20
(Alternate with Concentrated curls)
3/ Calf raises (40kg) X 20
4/ Bench press (60kg) X 10
5/ Leg press (70kg) X 20
6/ Tricep extensions (7.5kg) x 20
(Alternate with tricep kickbacks)
7/ Crunches X 20 (I use a fitball and 9kg medicine ball)

Where is the back work?

Personaly, I would use a superset structure with lower reps, and less rest to achieve the same results.

Bench press/bent over row 4x8-10
Squat/overhead press 4x8-10
Weighted Crunches/hyperextensions 4x8-10

The trick is to go from one exercise to the next with zero rest within the superset, and have only 30 seconds between supersets.

That works out at 7-8 minutes to complete each block of 4 supersets, 21-24 minutes total for the workout.

Brief. Intense. Balanced. Better.