Suggestions/criticisms welcome

Posted by: budobrubbie

Suggestions/criticisms welcome - 03/30/08 01:14 PM

I've reviewed a few pages of workouts here on the forum and couldn't find a similar question, so here goes. I'm looking to burn fat and gain functional strength. Until recently, I've been doing barbell and dumbell complexes (thanks, Cord!) supplemented by bodyweight exercises. Found some different routines on the CrossFit site, so I thought about trying a variation of some of their "workouts of the day". Because of my profession, life often intereferes with exercise, and I don't have alot of time to devote to working out. Here's the plan:

Barbell squat-press followed by chin-ups, 3 sets of 21-15-9 reps. Then dumbell rows and bench press for the same set/rep routine. I use a weight that's just heavy enough to force me to stop and rest for a few seconds on the 21 and 15 rep sets, but I manage to persevere. I'm completely gassed by the end of the workout. Hoping to complete 3 or 4 of these full-body workout per week. Again, the goal is to burn fat and build functional muscle. Thoughts, suggestions and constructive criticisms welcome; thanks for any advice you can offer.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Suggestions/criticisms welcome - 03/30/08 03:04 PM

I don't know that much about the subject, but I'm pretty sure it's best to go for one goal at a time. You can burn fat and build functional muscle an the same time, but it may be easier to focus on one of those goals after another. BTW, what's "functional" muscle? I was under the impression that all muscle is functional.
Posted by: Aesir

Re: Suggestions/criticisms welcome - 03/30/08 03:48 PM

As far as I am aware it is how the muscle is trained. A good standing Press is much more functional than a good bench.

You will rarely have to press something without the support from your feet, legs and body which is what you do in a bench.

However in a standing press you use all of them together so it is said to be more functional.

Re: Suggestions/criticisms welcome - 03/30/08 03:50 PM

So you're talking about supporting muscles then, rather than the primary muscles which are targeted by the exercise? I guess that makes sense to me.
Posted by: budobrubbie

Re: Suggestions/criticisms welcome - 03/30/08 03:53 PM

Leo - Thanks for the comments; guess I didn't articulate my thoughts very clearly, sorry about that. By "functional" muscle I meant that I wasn't into body-building, just interested in gaining strength for use in my martial arts (karate & ju jitsu).

Re: Suggestions/criticisms welcome - 03/30/08 04:44 PM

I understand. That's a good goal to have.