Extreme upperbody/core strength

Posted by: THEGENERAL

Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/19/08 07:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXhLT9mpDzc

Bboy junior from france - most famous breakdancer. His upper body and core strength is unbelievable. Watch closely, as only one of the clips is in slow motion; many other times it seems as though it is, but instead its his great control and strength. At the end, the pushups are no-feet on fingertips...makes it look easy.

BTW, he had polio when he was younger, and now has a prosthetic leg.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/19/08 07:55 PM

Posted by: bwhite55

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/19/08 11:28 PM

i have seen it before, the reason they slow it down is because its really so fast you wouldn't really be able to see it, as he's so explosive w/ all of his stuff. **drools**
Posted by: jude33

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/20/08 02:08 PM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXhLT9mpDzc

Bboy junior from france - most famous breakdancer. His upper body and core strength is unbelievable. Watch closely, as only one of the clips is in slow motion; many other times it seems as though it is, but instead its his great control and strength. At the end, the pushups are no-feet on fingertips...makes it look easy.

BTW, he had polio when he was younger, and now has a prosthetic leg.

Hi
Excellent find.

Nice. The guy is realy supple as well. Respect to his hard work and determination.

Jude.

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/20/08 07:42 PM

Here's another video of him: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_UeOdqjB_7k&mode=related&search=

Watch the whole thing, but at 1:50 his move looks IMPOSSIBLE. He makes the moves look easy too
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/20/08 09:24 PM

Great find, General. Truly awesome!

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/20/08 10:41 PM

I bet that he could do more regular push-ups than a U.S. Navy SEAL.

Thanks btw, I've had that 2nd video under my favorites for months and watched it yesterday and decided to post something about it.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/21/08 02:36 PM

Quote:

Yes, but could he swim 4 miles with equipment, hit land and co-ordinate a suprise assault on a strategic target?

they are moving away from al that cr4p in the SEALS these days- check T-Nation, one of their feature trainers has been working on combining lactic threshold dynamic trials with underpressure dexterity/skill specific tasks, in order to improve and evolve their fitness performance abilities.

2000 push ups doesnt indicate you are a bad mo-fo, either as an MAist, or a military operative, it just means that you are subjected to a method of training found expedient for large groups with minimal training equipment.

Convenience seldom equals optimal.

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/21/08 03:55 PM

I only mentioned that because when I think of push-ups, I think of the military, and the Navy SEALs are probably the most advanced unit of the military, so they would probably be able to do tons and tons if forced to. They are very mentally/physically tough.

Glad to know that they don't follow traditional training anymore, as it doesn't really help them with real tactics/strategies.

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/21/08 04:10 PM

Quote:

I only mentioned that because when I think of push-ups, I think of the military, and the Navy SEALs are probably the most advanced unit of the military

*cough* SAS *cough* SBS *cough*
Posted by: _kyle

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/21/08 04:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I only mentioned that because when I think of push-ups, I think of the military, and the Navy SEALs are probably the most advanced unit of the military

I'm sure he meant american military

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/21/08 06:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

*cough* yup *cough*

I'm sure he meant american military

*cough* yup *cough*
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/22/08 06:17 AM

The SAS are still at the top, as I understand it.

Here's a clip of a tutorial on how to progress to doing planche push ups, although I don't know how legitimate it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbLSgWMJec

It should probably be added to resources on the bodyweight training list.

No doubt, some people would benefit from this kind of exercise. But it's probably faster to simply use free weights to train this kind of strength.

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/22/08 07:57 AM

you can't really get that w/ free weights. the only way to develop the ability to do planche push ups is by training specifically for them. granted heavy BP will help you jack up your upperbody strength for it, but you need to practice w/ these kind of push ups to do it.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/22/08 08:14 AM

You can get the strength, for sure, you just won't necessarily have the balance to be able to do it. Also, your core might not be as strong if you don't train specifically for it.

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/22/08 11:35 AM

which is why you can't get the same effect w/ free weights.
Posted by: jude33

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/22/08 12:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks btw, I've had that 2nd video under my favorites for months and watched it yesterday and decided to post something about it.

Hmmmmm.

Sooo does that mean you might be starting a project to
imitate some things he does?
The video (particuler the learning curve) for the pressups that was posted looked good.
I think by doing both free weights and the exercises on the video might bring the end goal.
If you have a mind to do them, maybe check with Cord as to how and when to work each routine.

Maybe???

Jude

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/22/08 01:24 PM

Haven't really considered it, but it would be pretty cool to be able to do some of those moves.

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/22/08 05:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/user/calisthenicskingz

This guy's videos are pretty intense too. In one of them, he calls out junior, saying he's better than him, but I think that junior is much better at calisthenics...he is way more explosive.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/22/08 07:08 PM

Quote:

T-Nation, one of their feature trainers has been working on combining lactic threshold dynamic trials with underpressure dexterity/skill specific tasks, in order to improve and evolve their fitness performance abilities.

I've been looking and guess there's just too much there to sort through for my little mind. Any chance of posting a link on that stuff Cord?

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/22/08 10:47 PM

which t-natoin trainer is that?

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/23/08 05:10 AM

I cant recall at the moment, will find the info though. I am not actually sure that it was detailed on T-nation itself, I heard about it through friends who run a pro sports conditioning facility themselves.

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/23/08 09:04 AM

was it by chance the guy that wrote the "third world squat" article? because that would make sense.

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/23/08 09:49 AM

Like I say, I cant recall directly. This was something i was talking about with friends nearly a year ago, so going to need to check my sources. It could have been Palloquin, but I will confirm as soon as possible, and get links if available.

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/23/08 11:00 AM

i don't think that is really palloquins style, however i could be missunderstanding what you are talking about completely

Re: Extreme upperbody/core strength - 02/23/08 05:56 PM

Quote:

i don't think that is really palloquins style, however i could be missunderstanding what you are talking about completely

From post above:
Quote:

Like I say, I cant recall directly. This was something i was talking about with friends nearly a year ago, so going to need to check my sources.