Overtraining...

Posted by: mad_dog

Overtraining... - 12/10/07 10:03 AM

...or what is your body capable of?

On this forum I read many times about overtraining and that we should avoid it. Some people say that you can overtrain by training hard 6 days a week. (By hard training I mean a few hours in a gym or more or less serious martial arts school)
But not so long ago I looked through websites of muay thai schools in Thailand (planning to go there this summer). So... a standart training is... 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon (example http://www.muaythaiporpramuk.com/index.php?action=traning&laung=en). And everyone knows that a average skill level of thai boxers in Thailand is much higher than in other countries.
Another example. I needed money badly (before a party) one day. So I found an ad in a newspaper that loaders are needed for one day. The work was extremely hard (we had to carry crates ~ 40kgs each for 8 hours from one place to container). The thing is that some guys are working there 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. In fact, some of them have been working there for years. And they are really strong...

But I heard that some people say that training 2 hours a day, 6 days a week is already overtraining (if trainings are really hard). What is the problem here? Why it is so? Or maybe it is just related with improper nutrition? Or something else?
Discuss.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Overtraining... - 12/10/07 10:15 AM

Over-training is a personal issue, IMHO. If you are doing more damage than good to yourself (either physically or mentally), then you are over-training. Some people can train for extended durations at very high levels, while others cannot. Finiding the correct balance relative to your goals will determine the proper amount/type of training.
Posted by: jude33

Re: Overtraining... - 12/10/07 10:33 AM

Is it
Overtraining
or
not recovering

I think it is complicated.
I tend to over train / dont recover at times.
Then my brain goes into lethargic mode.
Time to ease back.

Very complicated. The working/ lifting 40kg loads everday that I could handle. Training in thai boxing for 8 hours no way.

Jude
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Overtraining... - 12/10/07 10:46 AM

Everyone needs rest and recovery, but the term overtraining does seem to get thrown about a bit too much.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Overtraining... - 12/10/07 11:00 AM

Quote:

...or what is your body capable of?

On this forum I read many times about overtraining and that we should avoid it. Some people say that you can overtrain by training hard 6 days a week. (By hard training I mean a few hours in a gym or more or less serious martial arts school)
But not so long ago I looked through websites of muay thai schools in Thailand (planning to go there this summer). So... a standart training is... 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon (example http://www.muaythaiporpramuk.com/index.php?action=traning&laung=en). And everyone knows that a average skill level of thai boxers in Thailand is much higher than in other countries.
Another example. I needed money badly (before a party) one day. So I found an ad in a newspaper that loaders are needed for one day. The work was extremely hard (we had to carry crates ~ 40kgs each for 8 hours from one place to container). The thing is that some guys are working there 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. In fact, some of them have been working there for years. And they are really strong...

But I heard that some people say that training 2 hours a day, 6 days a week is already overtraining (if trainings are really hard). What is the problem here? Why it is so? Or maybe it is just related with improper nutrition? Or something else?
Discuss.

You have to consider the nuances that differentiate 'training' from 'activity'.

Training involves working at an intensity that is beyond your ability to sustain all day long. This triggers a reaction in your physiology that improves its baseline attributes.

'activity' involves physical exertion within your physical limits that you can sustain for as long as necessary. Your example of 40kg boxes is perfect- the workers are using their bodies to do a job, they are not doing the job to use their bodies. They take a rest when they are tired- they dont stress about keeping in their cardio zone, they pace themselves, not push themselves. They have coffe breaks, lunch breaks, smoke breaks.

Even with these energy saving aspects, after only one day there, you have no idea of volume of sickness/injury days taken per employee per annum, nor turnover of staff- many such physicaly repetetive jobs chew up and spit out staff in very short rotation, and their bodies pay the price for ever more.

In the case of professional athletes, sure they push their bodies to extremes- but how many years do they train for? How many pro fighters are still at their peak and with no signs of wear and tear at the age of 35? Not many. How many are still able to train at 60?

For those in that elite minority, the sacrifice is worth it for the glory and money, they then face the trade off of problems in later life.

For you and I, and the 9,999 out of 10,000 other people reading this, the smart move is to use exercise and MA to enhance and safeguard our bodies, giving us a shot at a long and consistently active life, not grind it into dust in a misguided attempt to emulate a training montage from Rocky 4.

Training should be efficient, and effective. If I can achieve the same results in half an hour as I can in 2 hours, then why waste time and put 90 mins unecessary stress on the body? To say that 'I train 2 hours a day'. Thats not training the body, thats building the ego.
Quality over quantity every time.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Overtraining... - 12/10/07 01:26 PM

Overtraining has a very specific meaning. To overtrain is to stress the body with such frequency and/or intensity that it cannot fully recover. Plenty of manual workers are "overtrained" (or more precisely, overworked). They may be quite strong, but suffer from chronic fatique, joint pain, stress fractures, etc.

The same may be true for Thai boxers. My brother has lived in Thailand for years and has told me few professional Thai boxers retire without permanent, chronic injuries. Some are no doubt impact related, but plenty seem to have problems with overtraining.

The specific training schedule you described may be designed to prevent overtraining. I'll bet the fighters train hard twice a day but rest a lot in between. If a person is young, that may be enough.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Overtraining... - 12/10/07 01:48 PM

Youth is certainly a good tool but not the only tool. We all age and it is always good to practice good habits now so that when we are older we can still continue to train.

Over-training is something I have to deal with all of the time. Between weight lifting and martial arts I have to find a balance which I still to this day find extremely hard. I stress my body to push my self lifting weights and then when I should be resting the next day I'm pushing myself at martial arts. In fact I used to do both on the same day 5 days a week that had very negative results. In the past when I was younger in my late 20's and early 30's I could get away with less rest but not now and why I always have to recheck what I'm doing and change things up and also take more breaks.

Everybody is different and some can get away with it more then others. I can't and I pay the price whether it is being tired, getting sick more often, strength goes down, energy levels go down, loss of appetite, fatigued during the day, etc.

The Thai fighter analogy while it may be true, Fileboy is correct and that there are far and few older Thai fighters plus they all will pay for it later in life.

As for the work analogy, that is work just like Cord explained it. I used to do manual labor while working in construction. I would shovel, jack-hammer, lift heavy stuff and the such all day for 8-10 hours. I would do this day in and day out. While this is stress on the body it is adaptable. It is not excessive stress say like when I weight lift where I'm putting the maximum of effort to get the most results in the shortest period of time. I'm working at higher levels then these hard workers which means I'm burning out faster and my body cannot get used to it like the steady pace they do.
Posted by: Bunny_Warrior

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 11:27 AM

Hmmm I train around 5 hours every day, 7 days a week. Basically I never take a break. And my body feels just fine. The only change that is happening to my body is that I'm getting stronger ^^

I don't believe that there's overtraning. You train as much as you can, that is, as much as your body can take. You set your own limits according to your physical and mental capabilities.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 11:28 AM

Ok.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 11:35 AM

Quote:

Hmmm I train around 5 hours every day, 7 days a week. Basically I never take a break. And my body feels just fine. The only change that is happening to my body is that I'm getting stronger ^^

I don't believe that there's overtraning. You train as much as you can, that is, as much as your body can take. You set your own limits according to your physical and mental capabilities.

If you are able to train for 5 hours a day, 7 days a week, then you are simply not training hard enough. When intensity is at the correct level, such duration of exertion is impossible.
Its like being pleased that you walked a marathon in 9 hours and seeing that as better than having run in it in 4

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 11:36 AM

Quote:

(Enter in Dereck shaking head here)

It seems you have all of the answers to life. That a proven fact doesn't seem to exist in your world so I guess it doesn't happen. You may be young and can get away with more then some but trust me it all catches up as you age, your metabolism slows down and your work load increases. You may not even being working out hard or with intensity; you may think you are but you many not be.

What is stronger? How do you know that you couldn't be stronger if you worked out smarter? What does your training entail? What do you do to recover? Supplements/food/water?

Please let us know your secret Superman.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 11:48 AM

Quote:

Hi

Could you describe your training?
I train once a day/ sometimes rarely twice.

6 days a week.

I trained for 30 minutes yesterday .
Weights.
Done pyramid fashion and some straigth sets including some heavy suff with very little rest between sets. Semi circuit training.
I had nothing left after 30 minutes.

Today I trained my bareknuckle punching/elbows/ and some open handed strikes etc makiwari/heavy bag
It took me 20 minutes. High intensity strikes get my breath back then back to it.

If I played/ messed about on the weights and bag talking and joking it would take longer. Then I could say I trained for an hour on the bag.
I would be kidding myself and I may as well join a class run by the "lets sell a b/s product to people" brigade.

I am sitting here typing after about an hours rest still feeling totaly knackered.

Later I will do some stretching.

How are you doing 5 hours?

Jude
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 11:51 AM

Quote:

don't believe that there's overtraning. You train as much as you can, that is, as much as your body can take. You set your own limits according to your physical and mental capabilities.

Just because I don't believe in Gravity doesn't change the fact that it exists.

When you train, you tear the body down, the body uses rest to repair itself. Once repaired you can train hard again then repeat the cyclce.

If you train before the body has fully repaired then you cannot train at the same level, meaning you will have reduced gains.

Imagine it like the battery on your cell phone, use it then charge it...don't get a full charge...you won't get as much use.

Finding where that is with you can be a challenge as there are alot of factors involved but the rule of thumb is muscle tearing type workouts (resistance training) you need about 48-72 hours, cardio vascular workouts you a 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off pattern is a good guide.

Again individuals will vary but I will say many people overtrain due to lack of understanding or ego, others just like to do it and don't really care if they are going too hard,as long as they can handle it.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 12:09 PM

Kimo: Yes I know, but I do train a lot and my body feels just fine. If I feel that my body has not recovered, I train less. For example I noticed on a few occasions my shoulders were hurting, so I gave up weight lifting weights for a week or so to let them rest. And it did the trick.

Don't worry about my ego my friend, I leave that at the doorstep when I go training I may love martial arts, but destroying my own body would be counter productive to my goal. If I notice that my body hasn't recovered I lessen the training. I've also been training for 13 years now so I know how much my body can take.

Also when I said I don't believe in overtraining, I didn't really mean that literally. What I meant to say is that I don't believe that there's a set limit, but rather that it varies with individuals. For some, 2 hours may be too much, for others it may be too little.

Jude33: I will post my training method a bit later, please bear with me. I've just had a death in the family, and I am busy arranging stuff for a trip (going abroad for a funeral), but I will try post it asap.

Since I'll be going abroad soon now, I'll just post a brief description of my training, so here it goes.

- I lift weights every other day, as for other exercises, I do them daily. I lift around 15.5 Kg in each hand, but I will increase that weight to around 17kg in a month or so.

Monday: weight lifting 1.5 hors (a lot of different exercises, I do the them all at home), running + stretching 1 hour, dojo training 1.5 hours, abs + push ups + horse riding stance (excellent workout for legs, try it) 1 hour
Tuesday: dojo training 1.5 hours, running + stretching 1 hour, abs + push ups + horse riding stance 1 hour, after this follows around 1.5 hours of cardiovascular exercises, more stretching, some kick/punch training
Wednesday: same as Monday
Thursday: same as Tuesday
Friday: same as Monday
Saturday: same as Tuesday, also have dojo training on Saturday
Sunday: same as Monday, except no dojo training, however, I do have my "dojo" training at home (I don't have a punching bag, so I must skip that part sadly, but for the most part it's the same)

That's about it, I know I didn't give much detail, but I'm in a hurry. Also note that I have had a minor surgery recently (nothing bad though, the wound will heal soon), so I am not training in the dojo at the moment, but I am having similar training at home, and will start dojo training again soon.

Oh and how do you mean you had nothing left after 30 minutes? o_O I mean there are a million good exercises you can do, how on earth can you have nothing left after 30 minutes? As for messing around, I train alone, so I don't have anyone to mess around with (the dojo doesn't count, because if we mess around, our trainer doesn't like it lol, messing around in the dojo is a big no no). And I don't know how to mess with myself so...

If you got any questions, just ask, and I'll answer when I am back from the trip.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 12:16 PM

Ok.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 12:35 PM

From reading your posts then yes, over-training is an issue even for you Bunny_Warrior and that you look for the signs and adapt to it by taking time off or training not as hard.

From looking at you list of what you do, with the exception of the weight lifting where you are using heavy resistance, over-training may not be as big of an issue for you. Stretching and stuff while it is a part of your training program, and an important one at that, I don't put that in the category as something you will have to worry about over-training in so your numbers for how many hours per day, 7 days a week, is grossly mis-represented when discussing over-training issues. If you would have wrote down that you weight lifted for 2-3 hours and did heavy martial arts for 4-5 hours a day then I would have called bull sh1t.

So after this, over-training is an issue for everybody. Some people can see the signs and will adapt by lessening the workout or taking time off. Others will continue to ignore the signs and continue on thus reaping the unnecessary rewards that come with over-training.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 12:42 PM

Well dereck, 2-3 hours of weight lifting would make me a body builder, which I am not, nor want to be. I do all my weight lifting at home, I don't go to the gym for that.

I don't take time off though - I always train around 5 hours a day. For example, if I give up weight lifting on monday because my shoulders hurt a little bit, then those 1.5 hours that would be spent on weight lifting are spent on other things - I love doing abs, so mostly if I do not wanna lift weights, I do a lot more abs and other exercises. It's basically always 5 hours a day, and my body very rarely hurts after training. If it does hurt, then it's most probably the result of me straining a muscle, but usually my body doesn't hurt after training. The next day when I wake up, I have 100% of my strength back, and am ready for another 5 hours

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 12:46 PM

Hi

I could take a couple of hours for weight training if I took my time and played at it.
Ditto with the bag.
I dont realy count stretching/ slower running/ some dojo time spent in being taught techniques as hard training time.

Over training/ lack of recovery occurs with me during prolonged periods of heavy weights and intense training eg sprints or high intensity bagwork.
Or going nuts with grappling or sparring.
Havent done much going nuts for a few weeks so I feel ok.

After a good weigths session I ache.
I still ache from yesterday.
Why do you give up weigth training if your shoulder hurts?
leg extention/ leg curls/ leg press/ hyperextentions/
dont tend to bother the shoulder to much

Jude.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 01:09 PM

Quote:

Well dereck, 2-3 hours of weight lifting would make me a body builder, which I am not, nor want to be. I do all my weight lifting at home, I don't go to the gym for that.

I don't take time off though - I always train around 5 hours a day. For example, if I give up weight lifting on monday because my shoulders hurt a little bit, then those 1.5 hours that would be spent on weight lifting are spent on other things - I love doing abs, so mostly if I do not wanna lift weights, I do a lot more abs and other exercises. It's basically always 5 hours a day, and my body very rarely hurts after training. If it does hurt, then it's most probably the result of me straining a muscle, but usually my body doesn't hurt after training. The next day when I wake up, I have 100% of my strength back, and am ready for another 5 hours

Not many people are body builders. I tried my hand at it for many years and had great results and I tried carrying that mentality into martial arts and I found out the hard way that this is not possible and that I had to train differently. It was a big change and I still try to use that mentality; a glutton for punishment. Because of this I have seen over-training issues even when I have recognized the signs.

I do all of my weight lifting at home as well; I've done the gym thing and do from time to time with a body building friend but I prefer doing it on my own. I've invested enough money into proper equipment and have enough free weights to do any exercise needed.

I believe that everybody needs time off and every sports guru also believes this. A lot of science has gone into the fitness world for top athletes and to be their best then all need some time off; this is good for their bodies and their minds.

You love ab work and I used to do a lot as well but the abs are like every other muscle, they need to be worked with heavy weights and intensity and they need the time to recover. Doing countless hours of ab work is counter productive and serves no benefit other then to fill your enjoyment of doing them. The same results could be done with heavy weights and in 15 minutes giving you better results.

If your body does not hurt the next day at all whether you work with weights or martial arts training and you are always at a 100% then I question your intensity. I'm not trying to put you down and I don't know exactly what you are doing or how you train or what your goals are; plus your age if young may play an important factor in this. You don't necessarily have to "hurt" but there should be no way that you are 100%, your muscles cannot recover that fast. Perhaps you perceive they are 100% but they are not. Can you do the same weight lifting program the next day and still have the same results? Can you do this continually? If so then those are signs of lack of intensity.

From your earlier post I see hints of understanding of over-training as if your muscles are sore that you don't work them out and let them rest or you don't work as hard. Then I see stuff that makes me wondering if you are really being productive in some of your endeavors such as doing extra work on your abs or sitting in a horse stance that serves no real purpose other then to being able to sit in a horse stance which most people don't do. But I accept that we all don't train the same and that many people do things that don't make sense and that is just the way things are.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 02:05 PM

Quote:

Well dereck, 2-3 hours of weight lifting would make me a body builder

No it wouldnt. Bodybuilding style training carried out for over 60 mins is counterproductive to muscle growth. Most Pro level bodybuilders train no more than 45 mins per session, the rest of the time they spend resting the muscles to allow them to grow.

Quote:

I don't take time off though - I always train around 5 hours a day.

And you fit in time with friends and family where exactly?

Quote:

For example, if I give up weight lifting on monday because my shoulders hurt a little bit, then those 1.5 hours that would be spent on weight lifting are spent on other things - I love doing abs, so mostly if I do not wanna lift weights, I do a lot more abs and other exercises. It's basically always 5 hours a day, and my body very rarely hurts after training.

Sorry, but no way in hell are you working at the correct intensity if the above quote is true.

Quote:

The next day when I wake up, I have 100% of my strength back, and am ready for another 5 hours

You see, if you allowed recovery into your life, you would experience improvement, ie. you would over time increase your strength, not merely be able to perform at the same level every day.

All athletes cycle intensity on the run up to an event. A distance runner does not run the event distance every day of their life. They have track days, rest days, active recovery days, and their running schedule increases incrementaly to help achieve a 'peak' in performance for their event when the full distance will be covered.
If they did run the full event everyday, they would grind themselves to a halt with injury and fatigue.

Personaly, having worked with athletes of all levels and in a wide range of persuits, i am taking your claims with more than a pinch of salt, or should they be true, re-asserting the simple fact that you are wasting your time working with incorrect intensity.
Posted by: shills11

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 04:10 PM

I'm always shattered after training, the way it should work is the fitter and stronger you become the faster and harder you can hit/run/lift which in turn leads to the same results, i used to think I should train as much as i could but over time realised that I was more prone to colds and getting sick since youre body struggles with the minimal calorie intake.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/11/07 05:53 PM

Quote:

If you are able to train for 5 hours a day, 7 days a week, then you are simply not training hard enough. When intensity is at the correct level, such duration of exertion is impossible.
Its like being pleased that you walked a marathon in 9 hours and seeing that as better than having run in it in 4

It's true if it's only about weight training and cardio exercises. But there's much more to martial training than that. I heard that in some schools in thailand they forced begginers to walk in a thai stance for hours, just for them to get used to it and feel comfortable. Then light clinchwork (only technique, without power)... they can do it for hours as well. These are not really demanding exercises (they are more or less like a physical work), but they are very useful. So long training does not nessecerely mean bad training. That really depends on what you do and what you are trying to achieve.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 02:50 PM

Jude: I lift 15.5 Kg in each hand which is quite a lot I guess (for me at least) and most my exercises are done with my arms, and they put a strain on my shoulder, so it just hurts more and more.

I see everything as training though, that includes stretching, running, weight lifting, basically every exercise is training for me. But I guess we just see it differently though. Although I gotta tell that a dojo IS hard training, with the right trainer of course. Some will go easy on you, some won't. My trainer doesn't, and training is very good.

Dereck: Nice to hear there are more who lift weights at home, I have also invested some money into training equipment, so I can do most exercises I want.

As far as breaks go, I do have a break every once in a while, but that's rarely. Mostly when I have a break it's due to the fact that I can't train even if I want to (such as the recent surgery). I know very well that breaks can be VERY good, as I have experienced multiple times, and you are right, it does the mind especially good.

I do abs with weights sometimes, I think I should incorporate weights into my ab training permanently though, and save some.

Quote:

If your body does not hurt the next day at all whether you work with weights or martial arts training and you are always at a 100% then I question your intensity. I'm not trying to put you down and I don't know exactly what you are doing or how you train or what your goals are; plus your age if young may play an important factor in this. You don't necessarily have to "hurt" but there should be no way that you are 100%, your muscles cannot recover that fast. Perhaps you perceive they are 100% but they are not. Can you do the same weight lifting program the next day and still have the same results? Can you do this continually? If so then those are signs of lack of intensity.

Your body hurts every day after training? Are you sure? I think you should see a doctor about that. I'm 21 years old, and mostly, my body doesn't hurt after training, because I am used to it. After a good night's sleep I am ready for more. I'm not sure why your body hurts the next day but that doesn't sound good to me. The only instance in which your body should hurt, is if you stopped training for a few months and then started training again. In this case the body hurts a lot for a while because it's getting used to the training. If your body hurts every day after training, that is not a good sign if you ask me.

As for my training and all, who knows - I am not perfect, and there may be something bad about my training, but so far my training has only helped me grow stronger. I am 175 cm tall, and weigh 77 kg. MY brother is almost 190 cm tall, weighs 103 kg, and when we arm wrestle, he uses both hands, and can't beat me. So as far as I am concerned, my training works. The horse riding stance strengthens your legs, I'm not talking about the stance you learn in TKD. The stance has the same name and I picked it up from a book about kung fu. The book calls it the horse riding stance, and it's an exercise for strengthening legs. And from personal experience, I can tell you it works wonders.

Quote:

No it wouldnt. Bodybuilding style training carried out for over 60 mins is counterproductive to muscle growth. Most Pro level bodybuilders train no more than 45 mins per session, the rest of the time they spend resting the muscles to allow them to grow.

Ah right. Well good thing I'm not a body builder then I guess. I guess they lift a lot of weight at once so it would counter productive for them. I myself lift less weight though, but over a longer period of time, so I'm not counter productive, thankfully ^^

Quote:

And you fit in time with friends and family where exactly?

Well my family lives with me so it's not like I never see them. As far as relatives go, all of my relatives live abroad, and we go there like maybe twice a year so I see them then. So it's not like I can see them any time. As far as my friends go, I see them on weekends, where we just hang out and play some D&D since we all have time to spare. SO as far as friends and family go, there's no problem at all.

Quote:

Sorry, but no way in hell are you working at the correct intensity if the above quote is true.

Sorry, I should have clarified that a bit. When I said my body doesn't hurt after training, I mean it doesn't hurt the next day, after I have had a good night's sleep. As far as directly after training goes, I am always tired as hell after that, of course.

Quote:

You see, if you allowed recovery into your life, you would experience improvement, ie. you would over time increase your strength, not merely be able to perform at the same level every day.

My strength DID increase over time. I started with a lousy 3 kg (or so) of weight at the age of 15, and today I am at 15.5 kg in each hand (Soon increasing to 17 kg). So how can you say I am performing at the same level every day? I get stronger every single day, and every now and then I increase the weight I lift.

I developed my own method of training. If I do 100 abs every day, I don't do 100 because it's my maximum, I do it because it's my method. I can do more, but if I power out myself to the max with abs, how will I do the other exercises? If I run for 2 hours and kill myself from running, how do I do the rest of my training?

Quote:

What mad_dog said. Not all exercises will tire you out very fast, and not all are that demanding.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 04:31 PM

Quote:

I myself lift less weight though, but over a longer period of time, so I'm not counter productive, thankfully ^^

oh good grief, where to begin?....

Quote:

My strength DID increase over time. I started with a lousy 3 kg (or so) of weight at the age of 15, and today I am at 15.5 kg in each hand (Soon increasing to 17 kg). So how can you say I am performing at the same level every day? I get stronger every single day, and every now and then I increase the weight I lift.

So, over 13 years you have increased the weight you use from 3kg to 15kg per hand.
With a properly balanced routine, I would have expected you to increase your weight many times more than this in 5-6 months, let alone 13 years. Also, you are using the same weight for all movements, and only working your upper body with weights. You are seriously doing things badly wrong. i say this not to be mean, but because all your determination and hardwork is being wasted, and I think thats a real shame. Before you get defensive, please understand that I want to help you, not criticise without contructive purpose. I started training people professionaly when you were 7 years old, so if you want to at least entertain the idea of a new approach, then i may be able to point you in the right direction.

Quote:

I developed my own method of training. If I do 100 abs every day, I don't do 100 because it's my maximum, I do it because it's my method. I can do more, but if I power out myself to the max with abs, how will I do the other exercises? If I run for 2 hours and kill myself from running, how do I do the rest of my training?

Let me put this in a D&D context. When you role a character, and set out on a quest, you tend to have certain attributes that improve along the way right? So by beating a troll you might improve your melee stats, but not your mana, whilst spellcasting against a mage will increase your mana, but not your stamina. The point being that you dont use all your skills in any one given scenario, rather, are called upon to use them in a concentrated and specific action, and then benefit from this.

Your body is just like that. It simply cant improve all your attributes every day. You need to focus, with high intensity on one 'troll' at a time, let the body improve in the aftermath, and face another foe the next day that will test another of your attributes.

Life aint nothin but an adventure buddy

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 04:52 PM

Quote:

oh good grief, where to begin?....

What did I do wrong now?

Quote:

So, over 13 years you have increased the weight you use from 3kg to 15kg per hand.
With a properly balanced routine, I would have expected you to increase your weight many times more than this in 5-6 months, let alone 13 years. Also, you are using the same weight for all movements, and only working your upper body with weights. You are seriously doing things badly wrong. i say this not to be mean, but because all your determination and hardwork is being wasted, and I think thats a real shame. Before you get defensive, please understand that I want to help you, not criticise without contructive purpose. I started training people professionaly when you were 7 years old, so if you want to at least entertain the idea of a new approach, then i may be able to point you in the right direction.

I think you should read a bit better. I've been training for 13 years total, and I already said (multiple times, if I recall) that I have been lifting weights for 5-6 years. I'm 21 years old, started training at the age of 8, trained 13 years, 5-6 of which I have been lifting weights, I started lifting them at the age of 15

I don't intend to get defensive, don't worry, I take it as constructive criticism, I know I don't know everything about training, so whatever help you can offer me, you're more than welcome to do so

Quote:

Let me put this in a D&D context. When you role a character, and set out on a quest, you tend to have certain attributes that improve along the way right? So by beating a troll you might improve your melee stats, but not your mana, whilst spellcasting against a mage will increase your mana, but not your stamina. The point being that you dont use all your skills in any one given scenario, rather, are called upon to use them in a concentrated and specific action, and then benefit from this.

Your body is just like that. It simply cant improve all your attributes every day. You need to focus, with high intensity on one 'troll' at a time, let the body improve in the aftermath, and face another foe the next day that will test another of your attributes.

Life aint nothin but an adventure buddy

I don't play that much D&D but I am pretty sure there's no mana there

Also, thank you for the advice

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 05:16 PM

Thanks for sharing as this give us a better incite.

You are young Bunny_Warrior which is a tool for sure. I do however think that you could get more positive results if some more productive training was implementing but that you can learn over time if you train with some experienced people; which I found to be a positive in my own training and helping me to the next levels. I don't think you have tapped into what you can do and I believe it may be due to some of your training methods. That you are training is a positive for sure and good for you, don't let anybody take that away from you, however with some direction and change to your methods you could see so much more.

Take for instance, and don't read anything into this as this is not bragging or anything, but we are of similar heights and stuff so I see that you do have more potential in you. Currently at 39 I am 174 cm (5'8.5") tall and weigh 87 kilograms (191 lbs). I am currently under weight for what I usually am due to the month of November I took off time from weight lifting to focus on my martial arts training and also I reduced my food intake, not to mention the months before my focus in weight lifting and martial arts was at a very big decline. At my best for strength and size, at the age of 34 I was 94 kilogram (207 lbs). At the age of 21 without weight lifting but very active I was 73 kilograms (160 lbs). I do this to show you how similar in weights and heights that we are and what you may be capable of and maybe even more.

You said most of your exercises are done with your arms but I hope I'm misreading this and you work our whole body including your legs? As well the amount of ab exercises is most certainly overboard and yes, working with weights will be more beneficial for results plus not stealing that excise time away from you.

As for myself, at the age of 39 and lifting for 10 years straight, I admit that I do hurt but that is from a lot of abuse over the years from sports, stupidity, training stupid, training hard and suffering multiple injuries with ones that still plague me such as torn right hamstring, torn right distal bicep tendon, crushed vertebrae in neck (C6/C7), severed my left ACL that that had surgery with my patellar tendon almost a year ago to the day (December 15th to be exact) and very sore shoulders. But with these I adapt to that I can still workout and I still work out with decent amounts of weight. And I push myself with intensity within 45 minutes to 90 minutes per weight lifting workout 2 to 3 days a week on my current program, with martial arts 2 to 3 days a week. I don't always have the DOM affect but I thoroughly enjoy it when I do have it.

Any results that I've had I couldn’t have done by myself. Like you I was making progress but it wasn't till I started reading more, coming online and getting information from others plus working with a body building buddy of my that my small gains became larger gains. I think that you are on the right track and you can reach for so much more. 15.5 kilograms (34 lbs) per hand can blossom to 38 kilograms (84 lbs) per hand or more with the right workout, with time and with intensity; I've been there myself. And you could do it without working out as much as you are and will then have more time for other things in your life.

What Cord was trying to get across to you is that you have to have a life and though 5 hours a day doesn't seem like much, that does eat up a lot of time. I know for myself with weight lifting and martial arts I got very selfish many years ago that almost ended my marriage and I had to make some better choices because when it all comes to a head, the only thing that really matters is the people around you. Whether you are fit or not those relationships will mean much more in the long run and should never be put aside for training. You can do both for sure but there needs to be a balance and from your workout there is no balance. I can certainly understand you love for working out but just think that if you worked out smarter in less time that you would get more benefits plus would have more time for other things in your life.

These are just ideas and in no way am I telling you to make changes, that is something that you have to come to realize yourself. If you are making progress that you are satisfied with and you are enjoying what you are doing then please by all means continue. But keep in mind that as you get older what you can do now you won't be able to do … I can speak from experience.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 05:31 PM

Quote:

You said most of your exercises are done with your arms but I hope I'm misreading this and you work our whole body including your legs? As well the amount of ab exercises is most certainly overboard and yes, working with weights will be more beneficial for results plus not stealing that excise time away from you.

Actually, I do exercise legs a lot too. Running helps me a lot there, as well as a lot of cardiovascular exercises, plus others. I train my legs and my arms, in other words, the *entire* body, not just parts of it.

Also, dereck, thank you for sharing this all with me. However, I just wanna clear up the weight lifting thing - I know very well that I could lift MUCH more with some other exercises, and I do know some people who can show me how to to turn the 17kg into 38kg, as you said. However, this would build a lot of muscle mass, which I want to avoid. You see, the reason why I lift only 15.5 atm and work out with weights for 1.5 hours is because I don't wanna increase my weight. To achieve that purpose, I lift less, but for a longer time. This way, I don't increase muscle mass, but still build a lot of strength, which is my goal.

I also know what you mean when you say I should pay more attention to people around me, and I do know this. I have a little cousin, she's 11 years old now, and she adores me, always hugs me when I visit etc, and I love spending time with her, she's a load of fun But it's like I said, my relatives live abroad and I see them only rarely, but I always love to see them.

I realize that, with professional help, I could do a *lot* more when it comes to weights, I know a guy who can show me how to do it, he has his own gym, so that's no problem. But I don't want professional work out, I wanna lift less because I don't want muscle mass.

I will do abs with weights, I wanted to start that but just never remembered to try it. I did do it quite some times, and I always loved it. It's an excellent workout.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 05:44 PM

We all have our own goals and I wish you the best in your endeavors. Out of curiosity, why don't you want to increase your muscle mass? Is it due to you are trying to keep your weight in a category that you compete in? Or is it that you think that muscle mass will slow you down?

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 05:53 PM

Quote:

We all have our own goals and I wish you the best in your endeavors. Out of curiosity, why don't you want to increase your muscle mass? Is it due to you are trying to keep your weight in a category that you compete in? Or is it that you think that muscle mass will slow you down?

Thank you Dereck, same to you

Basically yes, I believe it will slow me down. I want to keep my current weight and speed, but still build a lot of strength. I guess I am succeeding, according to what other people tell me. I guess you could say I want to have the best of both worlds

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 05:59 PM

If I told you that you can gain mass and be faster would you believe me? If I told you that it was scientifically proven would you think differently?

Trust me when I tell you this that you can gain muscle strength and muscle mass and be faster then you are now. All top athletes train with weights as it has been scientifically proven to be beneficial. It is all in how you work out. If you are a body builder you are working out to build muscle mass so you work by lowering and lifting slow to get more muscle tearing. Also realize that strength comes with this as well however you can work on a strengthening routine that will give you more strength with added mass though not the mass like a body builder. You are as you train and what I suggest doing is lifting "explosively" with heavy weights. Things should be controlled with good form and technique at all times but you will reap far more benefits and be bigger, faster and stronger then you have ever been. You can for real have the best of both worlds.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 06:07 PM

Yes I would believe you. I do know that big people can also be fast, but it's simply my personal preference to keep my weight as it is.

Although, if I lift explosively, as you put it, how much would my muscle mass increase? I'm around 77kg atm, and 175 cm, if that matters. I might give it a try, I usually lift slowly, but lifting explosively seems interesting, I have never tried that.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 08:09 PM

@ Bunny_warrior

I really recommend you to do some research before starting any exercise program. There's a lot of info available. Look in the books section. I am absolutely sure you will find exactly what you need there. There are books with exercises written by and for martial artists. They are written by professionals who know what they are talking about. There's a lot of info on the net about it as well.

And believe me weight training won't make you slower (or heavier if you don't want it). For example I participate in competitions, so I have to keep my weight under 75 kg. Still I am training with weights (in fact I've been doing it since I was 15). Normally I have 2 weight trainings a week (plus one exclusively for plyometrics before competitions or important fight). And, indeed, I became much stronger (for example I could do dumbell snatch with 14kg for 10 repetitions when I started. Now after 5 years I can do it with 34 kg dumbell), but didn't gain mass (well, almost... not more than 3 kg, since I am still below 75).

Re: Overtraining... - 12/13/07 11:29 PM

Quote:

As far as my friends go, I see them on weekends, where we just hang out and play some D&D since we all have time to spare.

Quote:

I don't play that much D&D

'mana' is a term used in some roleplaying systems for magic power, that aside, it is the meaning of the analogy, not the terminology that is important.

Basically, you have ZERO idea of how the body works. Sorry, but its true. You say yourself that you have taught yourself, based on understandings created from your own perceptions. The trouble with that is that physiological reaction to training is counter-intuitive, ie. what feels like common sense, is often wrong.

There is a lot of work to get you on the right track, but lets start with 3 basic foundation statements that are true, and you will have to accept if you are to improve your training plan, and increase your improvement.

1. You improve when at rest, not when you are training
2. Strength and size both require use of heavy weights, yet are seperate and independant goals.
3. training the legs with weights is the most important aspect of conditioning for all power generation, and will not slow you one nanosecond.

These are not things that you would think of- that resting could make you fitter than training, that lifting heavy will not make you muscular, that strong legs will make you punch harder. Doesnt stop it all being absolutely true though.

If you can accept this, then your re-education has begun. If you cant, then you will remain one of the many thousands who's hard work will sadly never tap your true potential.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/14/07 05:01 AM

Mad_dog: thanks I will do that Although you say you gained almost 3 kg of weight, but I myself haven't gained any weight whatsoever through my training, which was my goal.

Cord: I haven't taught myself, my dad taught me how to lift weights, and he has also been lifting weights for quite some time when he was young. As far as all other exercises go, I learned them from my TKD trainers mostly.

I also know that I improve when I rest, I know very well that the body becomes stronger during res, not training.

The one thing I didn't know is that I won't gain muscle mass by lifting heavy stuff.

But I'm open minded when it comes to learning from others. I guess you could teach me quite a few things when it comes to training, so by all means, please do If you can give me a link or something for better weight lifting exercises that won't increase muscle mass at all, I'll be sure to change my training and try to improve it.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/14/07 08:28 AM

Quote:

Mad_dog: thanks I will do that Although you say you gained almost 3 kg of weight, but I myself haven't gained any weight whatsoever through my training, which was my goal.

But I'm open minded when it comes to learning from others. I guess you could teach me quite a few things when it comes to training, so by all means, please do If you can give me a link or something for better weight lifting exercises that won't increase muscle mass at all, I'll be sure to change my training and try to improve it.

1. I gained those few kgs during first 2 years (from 15 to 17), which is probably related to the fact that I was still growing.

2.I can recommend you some really good resources, but the advertisement on this site is not allowed...
I post some links anyway:
http://www.rosstraining.com/
http://www.rossboxing.com/
And look in the books section. I posted some info on one of Ross's book. Hope you will be able to find it (because I believe it's the best resource available). Other books should be great as well and much easier to find.
And a video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57pv_1j4dH0&eurl=http://www.rosstraining.com/

Re: Overtraining... - 12/14/07 08:35 AM

Ah yes of course, I see. I assumed you were older and not growing anymore, and that you gained that weight due to the weight lifting.

Thanks a lot for the links I will check them out

Re: Overtraining... - 12/14/07 08:51 AM

Quote:

I developed my own method of training.

Quote:

Cord: I haven't taught myself, my dad taught me how to lift weights, and he has also been lifting weights for quite some time when he was young. As far as all other exercises go, I learned them from my TKD trainers mostly.

(again)

The accuracy of response you get is dictated entirely by the acuracy of information you offer.

no disrespect to your Father, but there are plenty of people who lift weights for many years that do so ineficiently, or based on concepts of training that are either misguided from the outset, or outdated in relation to the continued increase in understanding of exercise science. Trust me, it is hard work to keep up with, and filter through, the research as it becomes available- probably one of the fastest moving branches of science we have.
As for TKD instructors, well as I have said previously, you wouldnt go to a sports scientist for MA instruction, and you shouldnt go to an MAist for reliable exercise advice.

Quote:

I also know that I improve when I rest, I know very well that the body becomes stronger during res, not training.

So why on earth are you ignoring what you accept as fact in your own schedule!?

'rest' is not getting your breath back, or 8 hours sleep. You are talking about giving the body time to literaly change your physiology- to increase surface area of alveoli, to increase capilliarisation in muscle tissue, to mend muscle fibres, to increase density of bone. This isnt stuff that just happens in time-lapse. You need a proper regime that allows you to recover and improve.

The gains in strength you have made in 6-7 years, I would have expected one of my clients to exceed in under 6 months.

Think about it, but I suspect that whilst your post says you will change your routine, your heart will tell you to carry on regardless. I hope I am wrong, because your 20's are a fabulous era for forging foundation strength for your whole adult life. They are also the years where your career and love life tend to develop into something serious. Be a shame to miss out on that for nothing.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/14/07 05:30 PM

Perhaps you're not understanding what I am trying to say. I learned the individual exercises from other people, while my training method basically consists of a bunch of those individual exercises. So basically, the method is mine, and is basically a combination of many different exercises I learned from others. That's what I was trying to say

Oh and it's 5-6 years, not 6-7

Also, I am willing to change my routing, I already said I am open to new exercises. I am no expert on weight lifting, that much I know, and I know I could benefit from learning from other people, such as yourself.

So tell you what Cord, why don't you give me your training method and exercises, tell me how to lift weights, how much to lift, how much rest between reps, etc etc, basically give me a training method that you give to your clients, and I will do it, and change my routine. After all, I wanna learn more, I gotta learn some things by myself, but others I gotta learn from others.

So if you could give me the training program that you give to your clients/ students, I will try it right away

Just so you know, I tried the dumbell snatch with 30+ kg and it was easy, quite easy actually. I am very sure I could do it with 35+ kg easily.

But as I said, I'm here and I am willing to learn, give me your method and I'll start right tomorrow

Re: Overtraining... - 12/14/07 05:52 PM

Quote:

So tell you what Cord, why don't you give me your training method and exercises, tell me how to lift weights, how much to lift, how much rest between reps, etc etc, basically give me a training method that you give to your clients, and I will do it, and change my routine. After all, I wanna learn more, I gotta learn some things by myself, but others I gotta learn from others.

Its not that simple sadly. Its not 'a' workout that everyone does, everyone gets an individual workout based around personal goals.
Also, I cant teach you how to lift correctly over the internet, anymore than I can assess your existing technique to ensure its correct. Also, there is no standardised weight that you should lift, that is down to your level of strength and ability.
What I can say is that now is the time for you to talk to your gym owner friend and get a membership there. For strength training you are going to need access to a squat rack and/or a power rack, and a spotter (training partner to check technique and assist with racking of the bar).

Also, whilst you have outlined your regime on here, you have not given details ie. 1.5 hours of weights- what exact exercises and how many sets/reps. 1.5 hours of cardio- running? cycling? rowing? what?

Along with this, how much of your technique work is done in a MA class, and how much at home? the structure of your conditioning work will be dependant on what days you have MA classes.

I am now moving this thread to the strength forum.
Posted by: THEGENERAL

Re: Overtraining... - 12/14/07 06:56 PM

Lifting the same weight over a long period of time will NOT give you strength. EVERYONE who wants to improve their body by weight lifting aka RESISTANCE training needs to use resistance that are heavy enough to challenge them.

I am 17 and have been weight lifting for 3 years and I am still a n00b. I started weight lifting at 15 and was at 129 lbs. Now, with similar body fat(about 7), I weigh in at 166-168 lbs. Now I couldn't have done this at ALL without mass amounts of assistance from peers. Not until I started researching online or met a now-good friend of mine did I become semi-knowledgable about weight lifting. Take advice and use it to your advantage, don't bark back with small, irrelevant details.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/15/07 06:25 AM

Cord: Here's my weight lifting in detail. I am now officially on 17kg weight in each hand.

Bench press 35kg, 6 sets of 8 reps (I can lift way more than 35kg, but keeping it that way so I can do a lot of them)
Flat dumbell press, 6 sets of 8 reps, 17kg
Flat dumbell flys, 6 sets of 6 reps, 17 kg
Flat overhead dumbell, 6 sets of 6 reps, 17kg
Sitting dumbell curls, 6 sets of 6 reps, 17kg
Overhead tricpes extensions, 6 sets of 8 reps, 17 kg
Overhead dubmell press, 6 sets of8 reps, 17kg
The last exercise is a leg exercise with the same weight I use for bench presses, 35 kg, 6 sets of 8 reps, I put the bar on my shoulders (behind), and then do squats

That's about it.

As for cardio, I do other exercises with those, running, a lot of jumping, abs, push ups, I usually don't do a set number of those, and always try to do as much as I can, which is quite a lot in the end. I also stretch a lot, this is very important to me.

As for my MA training, atm I am not a member of any dojo, but will start training karate after xmas. I guess it will 1.5 hours of MA training every day, but if I can do more than 1.5 per day, I think I may do that. Usually around 30 minutes of MA exercises I do at home. Not a lot, but then again, with 1.5 hours each day, it's enough I think.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/15/07 07:51 AM

Quote:

Bench press 35kg, 6 sets of 8 reps (I can lift way more than 35kg, but keeping it that way so I can do a lot of them)
Flat dumbell press, 6 sets of 8 reps, 17kg
Flat dumbell flys, 6 sets of 6 reps, 17 kg
Flat overhead dumbell, 6 sets of 6 reps, 17kg
Sitting dumbell curls, 6 sets of 6 reps, 17kg
Overhead tricpes extensions, 6 sets of 8 reps, 17 kg
Overhead dubmell press, 6 sets of8 reps, 17kg
The last exercise is a leg exercise with the same weight I use for bench presses, 35 kg, 6 sets of 8 reps, I put the bar on my shoulders (behind), and then do squats

As for cardio, I do other exercises with those, running, a lot of jumping, abs, push ups, I usually don't do a set number of those, and always try to do as much as I can, which is quite a lot in the end. I also stretch a lot, this is very important to me.

As for my MA training, atm I am not a member of any dojo, but will start training karate after xmas. I guess it will 1.5 hours of MA training every day, but if I can do more than 1.5 per day, I think I may do that. Usually around 30 minutes of MA exercises I do at home. Not a lot, but then again, with 1.5 hours each day, it's enough I think.

I dont know many MA clubs that run multiple sessions 7 days a week, so again, when you find out what days you are to attend class let me know. Also, you are going to have to offset the cost of classes against that gym membership that, having seen your routine, you need desperately

That routine is awful. You are not doing anything for your back whatsoever, and this amount of anterior dominant work will destroy your posture and cause real health problems through muscle imbalance.

Can you confirm for me before I continue that you will be joining a gym, giving you access to wider range of facilities and in person assistance from qualified staff?

Re: Overtraining... - 12/15/07 08:03 AM

Well in my previous TKD club, we had a separate dojo (a smaller one) in which my trainer would train with me on Sundays and Saturdays, along with 4-5 other students. I probably won't be doing that in my new club though, but if it's possible, I will try.

Yes, I will be joining a gym soon after xmas.

Also, could you explain why my workout is so bad please?

I would like to lift weights and all, but I don't wanna gain muscle mass while doing it, so basically I want my body weight to remain the same. It's not that muscle mass is bad, but it's simply my personal preference to keep my weight as it is This is why I avoided the gym in the first place.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/15/07 08:33 AM

Quote:

Yes, I will be joining a gym soon after xmas.

Good.

Quote:

Also, could you explain why my workout is so bad please?

"That routine is awful. You are not doing anything for your back whatsoever, and this amount of anterior dominant work will destroy your posture and cause real health problems through muscle imbalance."

For every 'pushing' motion, you need at least the same volume of 'pulling' movements. Your skeleton is in a constant 'tug of war' between directly oposing muscle systems. You have to keep oposing muscles in balance with one another to keep the skeleton in proper alignment. If your chest and shoulders and abs get stronger and stronger, whilst the back does not, your anterior structures (muscle of the front of the body) will pull the skeleton out of line- creating kyphosis (hunching of the back and rounding of the shoulders). This is not only painful and debilatating, but from a dedicated MAists point of view, ruins your body mechanics and ability to perform your art effectively.

Quote:

I would like to lift weights and all, but I don't wanna gain muscle mass while doing it, so basically I want my body weight to remain the same. It's not that muscle mass is bad, but it's simply my personal preference to keep my weight as it is This is why I avoided the gym in the first place.

just joining a gym will not by default make you big you doofus Its what you do in the gym that is important and determines your results.
To give you an idea, you will be dropping from 90 mins 7 days a week of lifting to 40 mins x3 times a week of lifting. Prepare for a culture shock

As for your cardio work, am I right that you sort of create 'exercise stew' with bits of cardio mixed in with bits and pieces of ab work and other things along the way to break up the time?
If so, that is now a thing of the past. Please clarify.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/15/07 08:40 AM

Very well then. I'll be joining a gym. Also, I only lift weights every other day for 1.5 hours, not every day of the week

What exactly do you mean by "breaking up the time" though?

Oh btw, should I ask the instructor to basically show me exercises to increase my strength but not muscle mass or what? A tiny bit of muscle mass (1kg of gain or so) is ok, but I don't want more than that.

What I want from muscles is to gain strength, to become harder and as defined as possible.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/15/07 11:25 AM

Oh and btw Cord, I forgot to mention that I do weight lifting for my back too (which you said lacks). I accidentally left that one out.

I do 6 sets of 10 reps, with 35kg. I'm not sure what the exercises is called though. I basically put my feet at about shoulder width, holding the bar in both hands, lowering it close to the ground (but not on the ground), then pulling it all the way up to my chest, and repeat 10 times. My legs are not bent, they are straight. And of course, my upper body is bent forward, parallel with the floor.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/15/07 12:13 PM

@ Cord

Hmm.. Can you analyze my current program as well?

I train with weights 2 days a week.

Usually I do 3 sets of about 8 repetitions (with 1-1.5 minute rest between exercises). I do a normal warm-up before starting training (includes light 800m jogging and some standart warmup exercises and little bit stretching).

day 1
1. dumbell snatch (or clean press)
2. squat press (starting in squat position with dumbells on shoulders and then raise dumbells up with arms)
3. Upright rows
4. Biceps Curls (usually I do 2 sets with bar and 2 sets with dumbells)
5. Bench Press with close grip (for triceps muscles)
6. Triceps extension (pulling a special bar from my back)
7. skipping 3-5 rounds of 3 minutes
8. Cool down (light jogging)

day 2
1. Bench press on flat bench
2. Bench press on inclined bench (up or down)
3. Dumbell pull apart
4. Pull-ups (with weight)
5. Another exercise for the back (don't know how it's called though)
6. Squats with bar (followed by squat jumps without weight)
7. skipping 3-5 rounds of 3 minutes
8. Cool down (light jogging)

Sometimes I also do plyometrics separately (usually when I skip MA training for some reason)
1. Squat jumps with light dumbells
2. One arm push-ups
3. Push-ups with clap (or push-ups with ball - from one to other side)
4. Ax swing (with dumbell)
5. Heavy bag push

I also have 3 MA trainings a week (1-2 sparring sessions). I also run in the mornings (3-4 times a week).
1. jog
2. uphill sprints
3. jogging with short sprints (about 10-15 minutes)

Do you recommend me to change anything? (My goal is to keep my mass the same and increase strength. Although, probably, there is a limit, when I won't be able to increase strength without increasing mass.)

Re: Overtraining... - 12/15/07 02:56 PM

Quote:

Oh and btw Cord, I forgot to mention that I do weight lifting for my back too (which you said lacks). I accidentally left that one out.

I do 6 sets of 10 reps, with 35kg. I'm not sure what the exercises is called though. I basically put my feet at about shoulder width, holding the bar in both hands, lowering it close to the ground (but not on the ground), then pulling it all the way up to my chest, and repeat 10 times. My legs are not bent, they are straight. And of course, my upper body is bent forward, parallel with the floor.

This is called a bent over row, although you are doing them wrong. The knees should always be slightly bent (around 15-20 degrees so you 'sit back' into the position), the body should not be parallel to the floor, and the bar should be pulled to the upper abs/sternum keeping the elbows running close to the body, not flared out to the sides. The way you are doing it is very dangerous to your lower back.
In your current routine this is still nowhere near enough to balance out anterior dominance.

Quote:

Oh btw, should I ask the instructor to basically show me exercises to increase my strength but not muscle mass or what? A tiny bit of muscle mass (1kg of gain or so) is ok, but I don't want more than that.

There are no 'strength' exercises, and no 'size' exercises, its how you do any exercise that determines what result you gain from it. Also, dont get too hung up on your weight when you step on the scales- heavy lifting may well cause an increase in density of muscle over the first couple of months and also density of bones, but not 'size' of muscle, so any weight increase does not equate with increased 'bulk'. Besides, your body weight fluctuates up to 8lbs a day (3.5 kg) dependant on hydration and ingestion of food, so the scales really dont mean much anyway. Better to go with how you feel and how you look in the mirror.

You said previously that you do 1.5 hours of cardio, but that you 'break it up' with abs and stuff. Please be clearer on what you mean by this (tell me what you actually do would be the best).

We are getting there, but I really need you to be clear and complete in telling me what you do so I can put something together for you.

Mad Dog, I will have a look for you, but Bunny is a rebuild from the ground up, and with work and christmas, I am sure you appreciate that time is not easy to come by this month, so bear with me Off the top of my head, again, for someone purely looking for strength, you are training like a bodybuilder in regards to your resistance work. I will do what I can, when I can for you both.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/15/07 04:40 PM

Alright then, firstly cord, I wanna thank you for your assistance in this, I always wanna learn new things, I am aware that I do not do all exercises correctly. I am no pro, as I said.

I'll take the advice on the bent over row, thanks

As for cardio, I don't break it up, what I meant is that I first do some cardio, then after that is finished come the abs, then the squats, then the push ups, then some stretching to finish it.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/17/07 06:40 AM

Quote:

Mad Dog, I will have a look for you, but Bunny is a rebuild from the ground up, and with work and christmas, I am sure you appreciate that time is not easy to come by this month, so bear with me Off the top of my head, again, for someone purely looking for strength, you are training like a bodybuilder in regards to your resistance work. I will do what I can, when I can for you both.

OK. Thanks a lot. Your help will be truly appriciated.

And, yeah... I know that my program looks almost the same as a bodybuilders, but the problem is that I couldn't find proper "pure strength" exercises (except dumbell snatch and clean and press). Anyway I am trying to do most of these exercises in explosive maner (although it's not always possible...)
Posted by: jasperdaman

Re: Overtraining... - 12/17/07 07:04 AM

There are no 'pure strength' exercises, it is the way you lift the weights that determines if u are lifting for strength or mass. You can do say bench press for both body building and strength training its just the amount of sets,reps and recovery time that determines how your body reacts to to the technique.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/17/07 07:23 AM

So how do you actually lift weight in order to gain pure strength and not muscle mass. Do you do the exercises slowly or fast or what? And how long should your breaks be actually?

Re: Overtraining... - 12/17/07 12:40 PM

From what I've heard/read you have to do them fast with minimum rest between sets and low repetition quantity. So... about 6-8 reps with rest of 1 minute between sets. But... Cord said it's still more bodybuilding than strength routine. So, I am not sure.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/17/07 03:23 PM

Strength training is about recruiting and creating neuromuscular coordination, not fatiguing muscle. Strength training is more about training the nervous system than muscle fibres. Thats a very fundamental difference between strength lifting and other resistance work.

The most effective core exercises for strength work that are easiest to learn are the 3 power lifts: Squat, Bench press and deadlift.

Movements like snatch, clean and jerk and other weightlifting variations are great, but you have to have an experienced instructor to teach you the techniques- self taught you have about a 20,000-1 chance of getting it right, and getting it wrong scrambles your coordination and causes injury.

So, a power rack and an experienced spotting partner are what you are searching for.

When it comes to the weight you use, you need to use resistance that you can lift explosively, but with control, for 5 reps without burn out. You are looking to use what would be your 6 rep max for 5 reps, leaving one in the bank to prevent lactic acid build up- remember, you are not training your muscles per se, you are using the muscles to gain strength- there is a difference.

Tempo of the reps is to do the negative motion under control, but not overly slowly, and then 'POW!!' drive the weight up as hard as you can. An old friend of mine used to describe it as almost 'throwing' the bar away from you as far as possible- its that sensation. Of course the bar will be too heavy to leave your grip, and may well travel slowly (its resistance training, remember?), but the effort is explosive.

After 5 explosive reps, if you kept going longer, the muscles would tire, and you would no longer be working for strength, and you would hamper your recovery, so you stop, and rest for a much longer time than you may think. 3-5 minutes! That feels like forever, but you need to recover fully for the next set- you are not trying to fatigue the muscles, you are trying to strengthen them.
Personaly, I think 5 mins is excessive and can lead to problems with cooling down, so 3 mins id better for most people.

So 5 reps, 3 mins rest, repeated for 5 sets (found to be the optimal volume of stimulus for the nervous system). That works out at around 18 mins for 5 sets, only 3 mins of which are actually spent lifting! Weird huh?

Now, you wouldnt do all 3 big lifts in the one workout because that would be too much for your body to adapt to, so the trick is to do one of the big 3 in each workout, along with complimentary exercises that can strengthen the biomechanic systems of power generation and aid in your performance on the big lifts (working weak links- stay with me kids )

So, lets look at a basic 3 day split, purely for strength.

Monday.
Squat 5x5
Weighted Chins 5x5

Wednesday.
Bench Press 5x5
Glute/Ham Raise 5x5

Friday.
Deadlift 5x5
Close grip Bench 5x5

That works out as 40- 45 mins per session, with only 6-7 mins of lifting per session!

That is an extremely concentrated stimulus, alowing you to work at near maximum potential for every rep- no burnouts, no failures or forced reps, just synaptic improvement and lots of real recovery.

Aside from making you stronger, this kind of low volume work means that you have more time to devote to your technique training and cardio work, with much less chance of overtraining and RSI injuries.

So on tues, thurs and sat you have time to dedicate to sprints, or bag work or to be nice and fresh for class. If time permits, you can even fit in a scondary workout on weights days- though steady state work only, not sprints of plyometric work- you have done your maximal work on those days already.

That workout should be OK for both you guys btw, providing you have access to a power rack and good instruction/experienced spotter. To be honest, if you are not willing or able to join a dedicated lifting gym, then you strength training will never be al it should be, and that will reflect in your results.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/17/07 03:55 PM

Alright Cord, thanks a lot for your help there!

I'll make sure I join a gym after xmas, and will also make sure I get my friend to teach me the proper workout method for each exercise.

One last question - this kind of workout will increase my strength, but not my muscle mass right? If it increases muscle mass a bit that's quite ok by me, as long as I do some exercises that will make me lose body fat, and replace the lost fat by muscle mass

Re: Overtraining... - 12/17/07 04:05 PM

Quote:

One last question - this kind of workout will increase my strength, but not my muscle mass right? If it increases muscle mass a bit that's quite ok by me, as long as I do some exercises that will make me lose body fat, and replace the lost fat by muscle mass

From a previous post:
Quote:

dont get too hung up on your weight when you step on the scales- heavy lifting may well cause an increase in density of muscle over the first couple of months and also density of bones, but not 'size' of muscle, so any weight increase does not equate with increased 'bulk'. Besides, your body weight fluctuates up to 8lbs a day (3.5 kg) dependant on hydration and ingestion of food, so the scales really dont mean much anyway. Better to go with how you feel and how you look in the mirror.

You know, besides the above info, even if you wanted to put on muscle, and trained and ate to do so on purpose, its a very difficult and slow process- its not like you pick up a barbell and start growing as you watch in the mirror!

Training for strength does not stimulate muscle hypertrophy as a direct response. If you look at a weightlifter in comparison to a bodybuilder, they are very different physiques, and weighlifters try and keep as light as possible in order to get better totals in competition, when its all about strength to weight ratio.

Muscle mass does not appear by accident, and in the unlikely event that it did, it is the easiest thing in the world to lose.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/17/07 05:53 PM

Of course I know that you only gain muscle mass slowly and fast. But yeah I guess you're right.

I will try to burn the rest of my fat and turn my body into pure muscle. That is my goal for now (of course in addition to serious martial arts training). I don't have a lot of body fat, so it should be easy to get rid of it.

Thanks

Oh btw Cord, how much weight should I lift though, when performing the exercises mentioned above? Or should I just experiment with it?
Posted by: THEGENERAL

Re: Overtraining... - 12/17/07 06:10 PM

Work with weights that enable you to complete the desired number of reps, however you should not be able to do any more than that number. You will most likely need to use a different amount weight for each exercise.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/17/07 09:29 PM

Thank you for an answer Cord.
But I still have a few questions...

The first question is about these exercises: dumbell snatch, power clean, squat push press. I am not really sure if am making them absolutely correctly, but I've been doing them for about 4 years (with gaps, though) and didn't have any injuries so far. I learnt them from a video, not completely by myself. Besides I keep increasing weight (almost every month in the beggining... now much slower). And I'd really like to continue performing them... In fact I can't even imagine weight training without them. These are really my favorite exercises.

Another thing is... I'd really like to start doing plyometrics on a regular basis. I heard that some athletes add plyometric exercises to their weight training. If it's not a good choice, then I will probably do them in the morning before easier MA class.

And the last question is. What about running, skipping, shadowboxing and bodyweight drills (sadly I don't have an access to the heavy bag right now... only in MA school which is quite far). When would you recommend me to do this stuff? Basically I can devote to my trainings about one hour in the morning and about 2 hours in the evening (except 3 evenings when I have MA classes and one day of a complete rest from any kind of physical activity).
Usually I do skipping right after weight training. Shadowboxing and running - only in the mornings. Also sometimes I add a few bodyweight exercises to my running program as well (only to interval training). Or sometimes I just do bodyweight drills at home instead of running.

So... I'll just show you the routine I came up with. If you can (and will have time for that) tell me what to change here

Monday
1). rest after sunday
2). MA

Tuesday
1).light jog, shadowboxing, plyometrics (?)
2).MA

Wednesday
1).Fartlek, shadowboxing
2).Weight training
-Squats 5x5 (can I make squat push press instead?)
-Weighted chins 5x5(hmm... I can't always add weight. Maybe I can do this exercise on a trainer with the same movement instead?)
-Skipping

Thursday
1).Just light shadowboxing
2).Weight training
-Power Clean Press 5x5(afterall it involves part of the deadlift movement)
-Close grip bench 5x5

Friday
1). not going to do anything before sparrings
2). MA (sparrings)

Saturtday - REST

Sunday
1). Interval running, bodyweight drills, shadowboxing
2).
Weight training
-Bench Press 5x5 (How about 3 repetitions on a flat and 2 on inclined?)
-Dumbell Snatch 3x5 (maybe at least 3 sets?)
-Glute/Ham Raise 5x5 (should I do it with heavy weight as well?)
-some skipping

Re: Overtraining... - 12/18/07 05:58 AM

Quote:

The first question is about these exercises: dumbell snatch, power clean, squat push press. I am not really sure if am making them absolutely correctly, but I've been doing them for about 4 years (with gaps, though) and didn't have any injuries so far. I learnt them from a video, not completely by myself. Besides I keep increasing weight (almost every month in the beggining... now much slower). And I'd really like to continue performing them... In fact I can't even imagine weight training without them. These are really my favorite exercises.

Well, i cannot say if you are doing them right or wrong, all I would point out is that even world class weightlifters, who have been cleaning weight for many years, train with a coach to ensure they dont slip into bad habits and to ensure good technique. I would seek out a qualified weight lifting coach at somepoint in your life for an assessment of your technique. In the meantime, if these lifts are your faves, then incorporate them by all means.

Quote:

Another thing is... I'd really like to start doing plyometrics on a regular basis. I heard that some athletes add plyometric exercises to their weight training. If it's not a good choice, then I will probably do them in the morning before easier MA class.

Plyometrics are a seperate session if you are to get anything from them, and they should not be done to burnout either, if you are looking to increase explosive power with them. A good plyo session should be submaximal, and no longer than 10-15 mins.

Quote:

And the last question is. What about running, skipping, shadowboxing and bodyweight drills (sadly I don't have an access to the heavy bag right now... only in MA school which is quite far). When would you recommend me to do this stuff? Basically I can devote to my trainings about one hour in the morning and about 2 hours in the evening (except 3 evenings when I have MA classes and one day of a complete rest from any kind of physical activity).
Usually I do skipping right after weight training. Shadowboxing and running - only in the mornings. Also sometimes I add a few bodyweight exercises to my running program as well (only to interval training). Or sometimes I just do bodyweight drills at home instead of running.

Dont add bodyweight work- with all the lifting and plyo work, you need extra push ups like a hole in the head. What about develomental stretching? what about posture work like a session of basic pilates movements and yoga stances? No one wants to do the unglamourous yet vital fine tuning that the body needs.

Quote:

Monday
1). rest after sunday
2). MA

Fine.

Quote:

Tuesday
1).light jog, shadowboxing, plyometrics (?)
2).MA

light jog and shadow boxing, or Plyometrics. Choose.

Quote:

Wednesday
1).Fartlek, shadowboxing
2).Weight training
-Squats 5x5 (can I make squat push press instead?)
-Weighted chins 5x5(hmm... I can't always add weight. Maybe I can do this exercise on a trainer with the same movement instead?)
-Skipping

If you cant do 5 full pull ups with you own bodyweight, work on this as a goal- dont add weight, merely use the 5x5 principle, and your chin up volume will increase quickly.
You will never be able to squat-press what you can just squat. Providing you have a proper rack, then pure squat is the king. Its simply the single best exercise there is for power development.
Skipping after is overkill. Why not incorporate skipping into your fartlek work? Instead of jog/run/jog, do steady state run/1 min double unders/steady run.

Quote:

Thursday
1).Just light shadowboxing
2).Weight training
-Power Clean Press 5x5(afterall it involves part of the deadlift movement)
-Close grip bench 5x5

Lose the close grip bench. Clean and press is a perfectly balanced chain movement, dont spoil it.

Quote:

Friday
1). not going to do anything before sparrings
2). MA (sparrings)

Fine.

Quote:

Saturtday - REST

Yes. (stretching session?)

Quote:

Sunday
1). Interval running, bodyweight drills, shadowboxing
2).
Weight training
-Bench Press 5x5 (How about 3 repetitions on a flat and 2 on inclined?)
-Dumbell Snatch 3x5 (maybe at least 3 sets?)
-Glute/Ham Raise 5x5 (should I do it with heavy weight as well?)
-some skipping

Steady state run/shadowboxing/skipping.No bodyweight drills.
Either Bench or Snatch. Alternate each week.Glute ham raise weight should be judged on 5x5 criteria I listed in previous post. To be honest, most people find the movement very hard with just bodyweight. If you dont have access to a GH raise machine, ensure whatever you hook your heels under is secure, and that you are not resting on your kneecaps as the body extends forwards- the lower legs are 'clamped' from heel to upper shin, allowing body to come forward with no direct pressure on moving joints.

Thats it.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/18/07 06:01 PM

I got a question about this exercise routine you put up for me (and which I am thankful or). Can this exercise give me the best "bang for the buck", so to speak? Basically, will my strength be developing to its fullest with this routine?

It's not that important really, I'd like to know out of curiosity

Re: Overtraining... - 12/18/07 06:21 PM

Thank you very much Cord.
Although there is still one (såme) question left. About those chin-ups. Actually I can do about 20 with my bodyweight. The problem is that I don't always have an acess to equipment for weighted chin-ups. Although I have acess to a machine (something like that http://www.incredibody.com/images/powerlinelatmachine.jpg). Basically the movement is the same...
Oh.. and I do stretching all the time (a little bit during each warm-up and a lot before MA trainings). So I think it should be allright.
And about skipping. Probably I won't do that after squats, but on other days after weightlifting (just because I don't have an acess to a track or gym in the mornings). And if I will skip on the pavement (I tryed already) I will have to buy a new rope every week
And probably you are right about bodyweight exercises. I guess I'll stop doing them (except plyometrics and burpees).

OK. Thanks again for help and advice Cord. I really appreciate that. Probably I will start training with this program in the beggining of January (when the gym will start working full time).

Re: Overtraining... - 12/19/07 06:13 PM

Quote:

I got a question about this exercise routine you put up for me (and which I am thankful or). Can this exercise give me the best "bang for the buck", so to speak? Basically, will my strength be developing to its fullest with this routine?

Yes. What you have been doing is nothing at all directly geared towards improving your strength, and I mean NOTHING. By adopting a programme specificaly geared for nothing but strength, your improvements in relation to what you have experienced thus far will be phenomenal.

Mad Dog, what do you mean 'equipment' for weighted chins? All you need is a pull up bar and a dumbell that you can hold between your feet. If you want to make it more convenient, you can put weights in a backpack and wear that whilst you chin. Either way you dont need anything fancy.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/19/07 07:22 PM

Wear the back pack on the front not on your back; proper weight distribution.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/20/07 05:41 AM

Alright then, thanks for the answer Cord

Re: Overtraining... - 12/20/07 10:50 AM

Just to address a question I missed:

Quote:

Oh btw Cord, how much weight should I lift though, when performing the exercises mentioned above? Or should I just experiment with it?

From my initial post,

Quote:

When it comes to the weight you use, you need to use resistance that you can lift explosively, but with control, for 5 reps without burn out. You are looking to use what would be your 6 rep max for 5 reps, leaving one in the bank to prevent lactic acid build up- remember, you are not training your muscles per se, you are using the muscles to gain strength- there is a difference.

Re: Overtraining... - 12/21/07 09:01 AM

Alright, then I'll experiment with the weight and see what I can do, thank you.