THEGENERAL'S New Training Log

Posted by: THEGENERAL

THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/01/07 10:23 PM

Hey guys, I'm starting a log because I want to record myself and see my progress in numbers so it's easier to see where I need to improve and when I look back a few months from now I'll hopefully see a big difference.

Current Routine:

Day 1 - Upper Body:
1. Dumbbell Bench Press--- 4x6-8
2. Pull ups--- 4x6-8
3. Military Press(Barbell)--- 3x6-8
4. Shrugs(Barbell)--- 3x6-8

Day 2 - Legs & Core:
1. Front Squats--- 4x6-8
2. Deadlifts --- 4x6-8
3. Weighted Crunches --- 4x8-10

1-11-07
Upper Body.

I. Dumbbell Bench Press:
---a.8x46's
---b.8x50's
---c.7x56's
---d.5x56's
II. Pull ups
---a.8xBW
---b.7xBW
---c.6xBW
---d.6xBW
III. Military Press
---a.8x75lbs
---b.7x80lbs
---c.6x80lbs
IV. Shrugs
---a.8x170lbs
---b.8x180lbs
---c.8x190lbs
Reflection:
I am very satisfied with the DB bench press results so far. I could most likely do 4x8 on pull ups with a normal bar, but I do not have a pull up/chin-up bar and I use my soccer goal to do pull ups on. It is made out of wood and very difficult to grip. I've rolled up balls of paper towels and duct taped them to the top of the goal post to give me some grip. The problem is that once the tape gets wet from sweat or anything, it becomes impossible to grip and to dry it. I need to find an alternative and maybe make my own pull up station (doorway bars are crap and non-adjustable ones are a rip-off at $250) from the links online. I have dropped in weight on the military press since the last routine because I am so tight after doing pull ups and bench - not a bad thing as long as I go to failure. And shrugs are just shrugs .

Had a chicken sandwich(protein) and some cheerios(carbs) afterwards. Going to get some cereal with less sugar and more fiber (and less taste ).

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/04/07 09:52 PM

11-04-07
Lower Body.

I. Front Squats
--a. 8 x 115 lbs
--b. 8 x 125 lbs
--c. 8 x 135 lbs
--d. 7 x 135 lbs
II. Stiff Legged Deadlifts
--a. 8 x 115 lbs
--b. 8 x 140 lbs
--c. 8 x 155 lbs
--d. 7 x 170 lbs
III. Weighted Crunches
--a. 10 x 25 lbs
--b. 10 x 30 lbs
--c. 10 x 30 lbs
--d. 9 x 35 lbs

Reflection:
Still getting used to front squats and cleaning the bar first. At a low weight, but still a tough exercise:). Tried stiff legged deadlifts instead of conventional for a change. Haven't done this exercise in a while and I'm wondering if it would be a downgrade to conventional deadlifts...I felt it more in the posterior chain while doing SLDL but there is probably less emphasis on the quads. Would this be a fair trade or a down-grade? I've had conventional DL in all of my routine for the past 6 straight months, so I wanted to mix it up a bit.

Suggestions? Keep in mind that I my training is more geared towards muscle building than strength.
Posted by: Aesir

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/05/07 08:16 AM

Have you considered getting some gymnastics rings? You can do a multitude of exercises off these which are really good; pull ups being one of them.

I Got a pair about 2-3weeks ago but haven'tbeen able to use them much as I've been ill. But they're really good for upperbody exercises and quite cheap plus they can be set up almost anywhere.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/05/07 04:01 PM

Nope, never even thought of that. I could even do dips with them too...Maybe I'll look into it - thanks for the suggestion!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/05/07 04:45 PM

Do you have the link of the rings that you bought? The cheapest and almost only ones I found were $70 for elite rings.

What do you have to do to set them up?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/05/07 05:37 PM

Elite rings are what I have although mine cost me £45 I think but thats because im in the UK. I think it's a reasonable price for what you get.

I haven't heard of an instance where they have broken but they say that they will repalce them for you for free if they do.

They're very simple to set up you get each ring on a long strap which goes through the ring and loops over whatever you want it could go over your goal for example. They come with adjusters so you don't have to find something thats a particular height to fit them onto.

I can't recommend them enough if you want somehting to do pull ups on I would say these are the way to go. As you can work a multitude of other exercises off them aswell and it will force you to stabilise yourself.

For example people may do dips off a bench or on a dip machine and may never once utilise their lats to stabilise(sp?) themselves. however you can't do this on rings. Also you can do muscle ups on them which are incredibly hard for me anyway and use practicaly every muscle in your upperbody.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/06/07 12:01 AM

Rings sound like a good route for me. I could use them for pull-ups and weighted dips and other various exercises. I like the fact that they can be set to any height with the buckles and that each grip is free-moving (almost like a dumbbell version of pull-ups/dips). I will certainly look into them and try to find the best deal.

Thank you so much for the suggestion, Aesir

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/06/07 02:20 PM

No probs and credit to you if you can dips on them with weights I can't find it too hard for my puny body lol

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/07/07 02:39 PM

11/6/07

Upper-Body

I. DB Bench Press
--a.8 x 50 lbs.
--b.7 x 50 lbs.
--c.4 x 56 lbs.
--d.6 x 50 lbs.
II.Single-Arm Dumbbell Rows
--a.8 x 50 lbs.
--b.8 x 60 lbs.
--c.8 x 65 lbs.
--d.8 x 65 lbs.
III. Military Press
--a.8 x 75 lbs.
--b.7 x 80 lbs.
--c.6 x 80 lbs.

Reflection:
A bad workout. Right from the start I felt weak. I did much better last week with the DB press but this time I did horrible. Bent over rows went fine. During the military press I wasn't feeling too good and I got a bad headache, so I didn't do shrugs. I'll have to redeem myself next time.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/07/07 02:42 PM

For my leg workouts, I've been doing conventional deadlifts for the past 5-6 months. Would stiff-legged deadlifts be a substitute for a couple months? I highly enjoy the exercise and I would like to see if I could make improvements on my lower back/posterior chain...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/08/07 10:59 PM

11/8/07

Lower Body & Abs

I. Front squats
--a.8 x 115 lbs.
--b.8 x 115 lbs.
--c.7 x 125 lbs.
--c.7 x 125 lbs.
II.Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
--a.8 x 145 lbs.
--b.8 x 155 lbs.
--c.8 x 165 lbs.
--d.7 x 165 lbs.
III.Weighted Crunches
--a.10 x 26 lbs.
--b.10 x 30 lbs.
--c.10 x 30 lbs.
--d.9 x 36 lbs.

Reflection:
-Trying to front squat technique down again. The beginning, where I clean the bar up to myself is more of a challenge than the actual squats. I realized that I have to kind of pump myself up before each set to make sure that I follow through on the top of the lift(clean), or else I won't get the bar up. The weight is not so glorious, but I am getting great leg workouts and I know that once I perfect the technique, I will be putting on some poundage.
-As for stiff-legged deadlifts, I do not lock out my knees; I make sure that there is always a slight bend in them. I don't know if that makes the exercise a romanian deadlift or not, but I doubt that you're supposed to ever lock your knees out for any leg exercise(other than extentions).
-Crunches are sexy
-Loving the soreness from new exercises

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/12/07 10:31 AM

11/11/07

Upper Body

I. DB Bench Press
--a.8 x 50's
--b.8 x 50's
--c.7 x 50's
--d.5 x 56's
II. Single Arm Bent over Rows(reps are for each arm)
--a.(BW pull-ups) x 8
--b.8 x 56 lbs.
--c.8 x 60 lbs.
--d.8 x 70 lbs.
III. Military Press
--a.8 x 75 lbs.
--b.7 x 80 lbs.
--c.7 x 80 lbs.
IV. Shrugs.
--a.8 x 170 lbs.
--b.8 x 185 lbs.
--c.8 x 200 lbs.

Reflection:
Overall good workout. Trying to get the bench up to 56lb. DB's. I started doing pull-ups, but after the first set I couldn't grip the wood because my fingers were cold/wet. Then I counted that as one set for back and did 3 sets of rows, which went pretty well. Military press is so tough to do after doing back!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/15/07 10:34 PM

11/15/07

Lower Body

I. Front Squats
--a.8 x 115 lbs.
--b.6 x 125 lbs.
--c.7 x 135 lbs.
II. Conventional Deadlifts
--a.8 x 175 lbs.
--b.7 x 185 lbs.
--c.7 x 195 lbs.
III. Weighted Crunches
--a.10 x 20 lbs.
--b.10 x 30 lbs.
--c.10 x 30 lbs.

Reflection:
I have a cough/sore throat, so it was kind of tough to work out. If I exerted too much while grunting, my throat would hurt like hell. So I took it easier and dropped a set off of each exercise. The front squats went pretty well, my form improved so much today. Weight will come with time. Decided that I'm going to stick with conventional deadlifts because there is less of a risk of injury and they are most likely the best form of deadlifts. When I did them today, my form was the best it has ever been! BTW I hadn't worked out for about 5 days before this because I was very busy and the day that I wasn't, I had a bad headache.
Can't wait for my throat to feel better! Going to go drink some Airborne and then a glass of OJ right now.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/19/07 08:17 PM

I've been sick since Friday!@!#!$! I can't wait until I'm done coughing up a storm and can actually work out again. I'm aiming towards Wednesday or Thursday, before company comes over.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/21/07 05:04 PM

Man, my whole body is sore just from being sick. I really hope that I feel at least 75% tomorrow so that I can workout. Either way, I'll probably take it light and either just do chest/back or cut down the sets for each exercise. Don't have to overdo it after being sick for a week...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/29/07 10:25 PM

Haven't been recording my workouts lately, but I was pretty sick during the week of thanksgiving so I have only worked out 3 times since then. I did 2 upper body days and 1 leg day. I am just recovering and gaining my strength back now, and I am excited to be back on the saddle.

QUESTION: Do heavy dumbbell squats give the same results as heavy barbell squats? I have enough weight with my dumbbells and I would like the same benefits without a rack. (clean to front squats werent working with my lack of form with clean...will have to learn it from someone later)

Last time I did legs I did DB squats followed by DB romanian deadlifts. I still feel it in my hamstrings . Don't know if conventional or romanian is the way to go. Just trying to get the best two exercises for my leg day!

Today I did upper body. I had a great workout, and I took an exercise from a modded Rippetoe routine, called Pendlay Rows. I did DB bench press supersetted with this new exercise. I won't superset on a regular basis, but I felt it may help kick things back into gear for some reason. And man did it feel great! Pendlay rows feel so effective... Then I did military press followed by shrugs(not supersetted). Great workout!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/08/07 05:28 PM

Haven't been recording lately...here's an update:
Current Upper body routine:
-DB flat bench 4x6-8
-Pendlay Rows 4x6-8
-Military Press 3x6-8
-Shrugs 3x6-8

Lower Body:
-DB Squats 4x6-8
-Conventional Deadlifts 4x6-8
-Weighted Crunches 4x8-10

Had a bad cold for a while with a cough, sore throat and stuffy nose so I've been somewhat inconsistant. It's almost gone where now I just have a stuffy nose and a mild cough. Working out inside for now because when I work out in the cold I start coughing like crazy...

Going to do my leg workout right now

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/09/07 11:39 PM

12/09/07

Lower Body:

I. Clean to Front Squats (clean bar then squat then deload is one rep)
--a. 8 x 85lbs.
--b. 8 x 95lbs.
II. Conventional Deadlifts
--a. 8 x 165lbs.
--b. 8 x 180lbs.
--c. 7 x 195lbs.
--d. 7 x 195lbs.
III. Dumbbell Squats (weight for each DB)
--a. 7 x 60lbs.
--b. 7 x 60lbs.
IV. Weighted Crunches
--Didn't get to these - ran out of time. Will do tomorrow on rest day.

Overall great workout. I took jude's suggestion, which will help me improve on my clean form; light weight and deload each rep so that I do the clean many times. The two sets for this and the 2 sets of DB squats add up to 4 which compliments my deadlifts. Still have a cold so I was coughing and out of breath after each set, but thats okay, it should be gone in a few days. BTW I put plates over my toes while doing the DB squats as a temporary safety precaution, jude.
Posted by: jude33

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/10/07 10:43 AM

Jude
Posted by: MattJ

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/10/07 10:56 AM

Quote:

I. Clean to Front Squats (clean bar then squat then deload is one rep)

Great stuff. I have done those, as well as military press/squat. Very good full-body exercise.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/12/07 10:04 PM

12/12/07

Upper Body

I. DB Bench Press
--a.8 x 50's
--b.8 x 50's
--c.7 x 50's
--d.3 x 56's
II. Pendlay Rows (barbell rows where your torso is completely parallel to the ground and the bar is deloaded each rep)
--a.8 x 115lbs.
--b.8 x 115lbs.
--c.7 x 115lbs.
--d.6 x 125lbs.
III. Military Press
--a.8 x 75lbs.
--b.7 x 80lbs.
--c.8 x 80lbs.
IV. Shrugs
--a.10 x 170lbs.
--b.10 x 190lbs.
--c.8 x 210lbs.

Reflection:
Not a bad workout. I might do some dynamic training for DB press such as the floor press to get the weight up to 56lbs in each arm. Pendlay rows are tough! Will increase weight on rows and military next time.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/13/07 02:15 AM

looks good!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/13/07 02:12 PM

weighed myself the other day and I weighed in at 166lbs. I gained 8lbs since late july/early august...chest and legs are really filling out

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/16/07 07:22 PM

Quote:

weighed myself the other day and I weighed in at 166lbs. I gained 8lbs since late july/early august...chest and legs are really filling out

Excellent !

Jude

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/16/07 10:18 PM

12/16/07

Legs

I. Clean to squat(deload)
--a.8 x 85 lbs.
--b.8 x 95 lbs.
II. Deadlift
--a.8 x 165 lbs.
--b.8 x 180 lbs.
--c.8 x 195 lbs.
--d.8 x 210 lbs.

Reflection:
Didn't finish workout. I didn't feel like doing 2 sets of DB squats and totally forgot about situps, which I just remembered about now . Clean form is definitely coming along. The weight of the deadlifts and reps look high compared to my last leg day, but that is because I was watching a movie and had TOO much rest time between sets. I'm going to do weighted crunches tomorrow, on my rest day. Next leg workout will more accurately show my progress because I'll remember not to turn the TV on

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/17/07 03:31 AM

Coming along nicely man. Gonna be starting a routine from starting strength by Rippetoe when the book finally arrivies; been waiting like 2 or 3 weeks now-best be good. How are you teachong yourself to clean I gave it a few goes but I just can't seem to get it right.

Im thinking of attending an oly seminar or something.

I can't help but try and move the bar around me instead of moving my body around the bar it's confusing lol.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/17/07 08:19 AM

Quote:

Im thinking of attending an oly seminar or something.

I can't help but try and move the bar around me instead of moving my body around the bar it's confusing lol.

Yep. Attending one or better still look for any weight lifters retired or otherwise who live near you and politely ask.
Learn the movement by doing it and being corrected either by your self or someone else.
There is another way of breaking the lift down.

High pulls
http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/highpulls.html

Pull from the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFznMk35-EQ&feature=related

etc.

Jude

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/17/07 03:09 PM

[quoteHow are you teachong yourself to clean I gave it a few goes but I just can't seem to get it right.

I have seen tons of videos that explain how to do it and others that simply show people in competition doing the lift. I know my flaws and just work to correct them with light weight.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/18/07 10:51 PM

12/18/07

Upper Body (modified workout due to having to lift weights in different room today)

ALL WEIGHT IS FOR EACH DUMBBELL

I. Floor DB Press
--a.8 x 46 lbs.
--b.8 x 50 lbs.
--c.6 x 56 lbs.
--d.5 x 56 lbs.

II.Double arm DB Rows
--a.8 x 40 lbs.
--b.8 x 50 lbs.
--c.7 x 56 lbs.
--d.8 x 56 lbs.

III.Dumbbell Military Press(Seated - ceiling not high enough)
--a.7 x 36 lbs.
--b.6 x 36 lbs.
--c.5 x 36 lbs.

IV. DB Shrugs
--a.8 x 70 lbs.
--b.8 x 90 lbs.
--c.8 x 90 lbs.(couldn't fit any more on dumbbells )

Reflection:
Awesome workout. Much better with a barbell, but I still had a lot of success today. Definitely need a barbell for shrugs. And speaking of shrugs, I just started breathing in on the upward phase...silly me

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/21/07 05:22 PM

12/21/07

Leg Workout

I. Clean to front squats - deload(technique training)
--a.8 x 95 lbs.
--b.7 x 105 lbs.

II. Deadlifts
--a.8 x 165 lbs.
--b.8 x 180 lbs.
--c.8 x 195 lbs.
--d.8 x 215 lbs.

III. Romanian Deadlifts
--a.8 x 155 lbs.
--b.7 x 170 lbs.

Reflection: Set a new personal record for deadlifts; 8 x 215 lbs...The best I got was 3 reps for that weight. Form for squats and cleans weren't the greatest, I need to spend more time warming up next session. I will actually be happy to spend my money on more 25lb plates

BTW found out my scale was off and I'm really still 158...I believed in the 168 before because I looked and felt bigger. Oh well, I'd rather weigh the same and feel bigger than feel the same and weigh more...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/22/07 02:49 PM

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/23/07 05:43 PM

12/23/07

Upper body - at friend's house

I. DB Bench Press
--a.8 x 50's
--b.7 x 50's
--c.6 x 56's
--d.5 x 56's

II. Bent-over Barbell Rows (olympic bar)
--a.8 x 135 lbs.
--b.8 x 135 lbs.
--c.7 x 145 lbs.
--d.6 x 145 lbs.

III. Military Press
--a.10 x 70 lbs. - too many reps
--b.8 x 80 lbs.
--c.7 x 95 lbs.

IV. Shrugs (olympic bar)
--a.10 x 170 lbs.
--b.8 x 190 lbs.
--c.8 x 230 lbs.

Reflection: I was at my friend's house for this workout. Started barbell rows again, and I'm weak at it . I couldn't believe how much weight/reps I got out of military press. Before doing shrugs today, I knew that I could do a lot of weight. It's never really been hard to shrug it, but at 230 it was tough to keep my grip...maybe it was just his slippery bar. It feels like my strength has just soared in the past few weeks out of no where. I am probably going to go buy 2 or 4 more 25lb plates tomorrow, or at least within the week.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/24/07 05:21 PM

My sister gave me a pull-up/chin-up bar for christmas Now I can do pull-ups for back instead of bent over rows. When I used to do them I got the biggest pump in my whole upper body and my back felt great...Can't wait to set it up and use it

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/27/07 10:39 PM

12/27/07

Legs

I. Deadlifts
--a.8 x 175 lbs.
--b.8 x 190 lbs.
--c.8 x 205 lbs.
--d.8 x 220 lbs.

II. Romanian Deadlifts
--a.8 x 155 lbs.
--b.8 x 165 lbs.
--c.8 x 175 lbs.

Reflection: Had a little 4-day break out of Christmas spirit . Another great workout. I'm in deadlift heaven right now . I am searching for a squat rack on eBay, preferably a portable one to save space. This routine will stay until I get a rack. I will see how the next few sessions pan out to decide whether to add another set on romanian's. Going to start doing crunches and cardio starting tomorrow

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/30/07 03:01 AM

12/29/07

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips - was finally inovative enough to come up how to make a dips station
--a.10 x BW
--b.8 x +10 lbs.
--c.8 x +10 lbs.
--d.6 x +15 lbs.

II. Pull-ups/Chin-ups
--a.8 x BW (P)
--b.8 x BW (C)
--c.6 x BW (P)
--d.5 x BW (C)

III. Military Press
--a.8 x 85 lbs.
--b.7 x 95 lbs.
--c.7 x 95 lbs.

IV. Shrugs
--a.9 x 185 lbs.
--b.8 x 205 lbs.
--c.8 x 225 lbs.

Reflection: Finally bought more weight today - I now have about 280lbs. at my disposal. I made a dips station by putting two chairs together and stabilizing them with 75lbs on each chair. Dips took a lot out of me, and my whole upper body was pumped before even reaching pull-ups/chin-ups; once I get used to both(dips,pull&chin), I will be able to add more weight/reps to each exercise. My chest was twice as pumped after dips as it would have been after doing DB press. I am getting stronger and stronger in military press. Overall good workout.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/02/08 10:45 PM

01-02-08

Lower Body

I. Conventional Deadlifts
--A.8 x 180lbs.
--B.8 x 195lbs.
--C.8 x 210lbs.
--D.7 x 230lbs.

II. Romanian Deadlifts
--A.8 x 160lbs.
--B.8 x 170lbs.
--C.8 x 180lbs.

Reflection: I'm pushing myself and seeing results. Hope this strength, (and hopefully growth), spurt lasts for a very long time. I'm improving every single workout, in every single exercise.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/05/08 10:58 PM

01-05-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--a.8 x 10 lbs.
--b.8 x 13 lbs.
--c.8 x 15 lbs.
--d.8 x 18 lbs.

II. Chin-ups (bar not wide enough for pull-ups)
--a.8 x BW
--b.8 x BW
--c.6 x BW
--d.5 x BW

III. Military Press
--a.8 x 90 lbs.
--b.7 x 95 lbs.
--c.4 x 100 lbs.

IV. Shrugs
--a.8 x 200 lbs.
--b.8 x 215 lbs.
--c.8 x 230 lbs.

Reflection: Great job on dips and chins - feel I'm improving. Upped weight on all sets of military press; I'll get 6 reps for 100lbs. next time. Chins are very hard to do after dips...but I can still see myself shooting up in weight in weighted dips and being ready to do weighted chins soon to come.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/11/08 06:05 PM

01-09-08

Lower body

--A.8 x 190lbs.
--B.8 x 205lbs.
--c.8 x 220lbs.
--d.8 x 235lbs

II. Romanian Deadlifts
--A.8 x 165lbs.
--B.8 x 175lbs.
--C.8 x 185lbs. (too much rest before set)

Reflection: Pretty intense workout. Note the date is not incorrect, I had this log written down in my notebook but hadn't gotten around to posting it here until now.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/11/08 08:22 PM

1-11-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.10 x 13lbs.
--B.8 x 16lbs.
--C.8 x 19lbs.
--D.7 x 22lbs

II. Chin-ups
--A.8 x BW
--B.8 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.3+1+1 x BW (about 5-10s rest to get more reps)

III. Military Press (stopped using legs)
--A.8 x 85lbs.
--B.6 x 85lbs.
--C.6 x 85lbs.

IV. Shrugs
--A.8 x 205lbs.
--B.8 x 220lbs.
--C.8 x 235lbs.

Reflection: Dips went well. Chins are very hard, but its a skill that I have to build up. I faced the music and lowered the weight of military press. I don't feel that I'm advanced enough to be using my legs for that little extra push, and I feel as though I am better off not doing so at this point. It is probably good for plateau breaking, though.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/12/08 03:56 AM

Goodwork on the chins. When I first started doing pull ups and chin up I would have one session where I did 3 rounds with heavy weights on me to the extent I could only knock out 5-8 reps in a set before failing.

But then when I next came to do them in another workout I would do 3 sets of BW and go to failure. I picked this up from somewhere else but it is a great way to increase the amount of pull/chin ups you can do.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/14/08 11:01 PM

1-14-08

Lower Body

w-up: 2 sets of 165lbs
--A.8 x 195lbs.
--B.8 x 210lbs.
--C.8 x 225lbs.
--D.6 x 240lbs.

II. Romanian Deadlifts
--A.8 x 170lbs.
--B.8 x 180lbs.
--C.8 x 190lbs.

Reflection: Nice workout. I'll get 8 reps on 240 next time

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/17/08 06:22 PM

01-16-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.8 x 15lbs.
--B.8 x 18lbs.
--C.8 x 21lbs.
--D.8 x 25lbs.

II. Chin-ups
--A.8 x BW (pronated grip)
--B.8 x BW (supinated grip)
--C.7 x BW (pro)
--D.6 x BW (sup)

III. Military Press (seated - didn't feel like going outside)
--A.8 x 85lbs.
--B.8 x 85lbs.
--C.4 x 90lbs.

IV. Shrugs
--A.9 x 210lbs.
--B.8 x 225lbs.
--C.8 x 240lbs.

Reflection: Pretty good workout. Dips and chins are coming along. Would have done better on military press but I was sitting - dumb not to go outside but it was cold(pu$$). Increased ROM on shrugs.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/19/08 12:00 PM

01-17-08

Lower Body

--A.8 x 200lbs.
--B.8 x 215lbs.
--C.8 x 230lbs.
--D.6 x 240lbs.

II. Romanian Deadlifts
--A.8 x 175lbs.
--B.8 x 185lbs.
--C.8 x 195lbs.

Comments: Not a bad workout. I know I could've done better; I wasn't completely focused because I was at my friend's house and his basement ceiling is too low for me to stand up straight. I had to find specific spots to be able to stand up straight, which I was paranoid about. I'll definitely get more than 6 reps for 240 next time

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/24/08 06:14 PM

01-21-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.8 x 18lbs.
--B.8 x 23lbs.
--C.8 x 25lbs.
--D.8 x 28lbs.

II. Chin-ups
--A.6 x BW+10lbs. (supinated grip)
--B.5 x BW (sup)
--C.5 x BW (pro)
--D.5.5 x BW (sup)

III. Military Press (standing, no leg boost)
--A.8 x 85lbs.
--B.7 x 90lbs.
--C.6 x 90lbs.

IV. Shrugs
--A.9 x 215lbs.
--B.8 x 230lbs.
--C.7 x 245lbs.

Reflection: Good workout. Tried adding resistance to chin-ups to improve on them quicker, which resulted in less reps . Found that I like supine better on my bar.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/24/08 06:16 PM

01-23-08

Lower Body

--A.10 x 200lbs.
--B.9 x 215lbs.
--C.8 x 230lbs.
--D.8 x 240lbs.

II. Romanian Deadlifts
--A.10 x 175lbs.
--B.8 x 185lbs.
--C.8 x 195lbs.

Reflection: Great workout! New 8-rep record for conventional deadlifts . Weight increase for first few sets next time.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/26/08 06:33 PM

01-26-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.8 x 20lbs.
--B.10 x 23lbs.
--C.9 x 28lbs.
--D.8 x 33lbs.

II. Chin-ups
--A.8 x BW
--B.8 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.6 x BW

III. Standing DB Press (weight for each DB)
--A.10 x 30lbs.
--B.8 x 36lbs.
--C.6 x 36lbs.

IV. Shrugs
--A.10 x 225lbs.
--B.8 x 235lbs.
--C.8 x 245lbs.

Reflection: Awesome workout . Used handles that came with bar for chin-ups.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/27/08 05:55 AM

Good stuff. I wanna be able to lift that heavy lol. ill be there soon...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/28/08 05:23 PM

Lol, thanks Aesir . Just set short term goals for every week or every workout. Personally, my goals consist of either getting a rep or two more on each set or increasing each set by 5 lbs. The weight adds up faster than you would think. Key: The higher the intensity, the better the results. Many times I up the weight with doubt in my mind that I could complete the set. Usually, your body is able to do more than you believe it can.
Posted by: wiggy

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/28/08 05:51 PM

Good work... I like the fact that you changed up some of your routine from last month... That is the key to strength training (alternating your exercises)... I like the use of your body weight as resistance but would like to suggest use of dumbbells instead of barbells when able. It tends to work the core stabilizing muscle groups a lot better and carry over into function more than use of barbells....

Keep it up!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/28/08 07:04 PM

Hey Carl, nice to see you pop back in the Strengthening forum.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/29/08 01:36 PM

Sorry for the 'vacation'. I've been real busy at work over the last 8 months... I checked in from time to time but have not seen anything I could comment on with conviction until now.... I'll try and be a better member... I promise.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/29/08 03:33 PM

Quote:

Good work... I like the fact that you changed up some of your routine from last month... That is the key to strength training (alternating your exercises)... I like the use of your body weight as resistance but would like to suggest use of dumbbells instead of barbells when able. It tends to work the core stabilizing muscle groups a lot better and carry over into function more than use of barbells....

Keep it up!

I also like to use dumbbells over barbells in most cases. I've tried using DB's for romanian deadlifts and shrugs before, but I don't like how bulky the dumbbells are when doing these exercises (I would be using 25lb plates, which are quite large for dumbbells).

Thanks for the posts guys. I was starting to think that no one would ever comment of give suggestions

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/29/08 03:44 PM

could be a sign that your doing everything right lol

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/29/08 03:56 PM

Haha, I doubt that . I need to start eating a little cleaner and not missing days. I'd also like to eat more in the mornings, but my class schedule kind of ruins that. I'll look for a solution in these next couple of days...

Going to my friend's house later to do a leg workout; he needs my help to spot him today. Kinda sucks how his basement ceiling is so low that I have to duck my head as I walk. I find small gaps to stand up straight to do deadlifts, but I get paranoid that I'm going to hit my head as I come up, which hindered my performance last time I was there. I'll make sure to find a nice spot today and try to leave my worries at the door. Trying 245 conv. DL today . With an increase of 5 lbs, I'm pretty sure the only thing that would hold me back would be my mind.

Goal: 7 reps Ideal: 8 reps

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/29/08 04:38 PM

"I also like to use dumbbells over barbells in most cases. I've tried using DB's for romanian deadlifts and shrugs before, but I don't like how bulky the dumbbells are when doing these exercises "... I understand and agree they can be cumbersome... The other component to your training (use of body weight) addresses some of these issues.

Another consideration is to use Lou Ferigno's (spelling?) approach which was light weight and extremely slow movement.... WOW WHAT SORENESS!!!!

Keep it going but know when you have reached your target as strength training will improve your strength but eventually lose your flexibility if not monitored.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/29/08 09:06 PM

01-29-08

Lower Body

Conventional Deadlifts
--A.9 x 205lbs.
--B.8 x 220lbs.
--C.8 x 235lbs.
--D.9 x 245lbs.

Romanian Deadlifts
--A.8 x 180lbs.
--B.8 x 190lbs.
--C.9 x 200lbs.

Reflection: Miscounted on both final sets . It worked out for the better as I got more reps. Maybe that tells me that I'm not pushing myself as hard as I could on the first few sets...

By the way, Wiggy, I train mainly for hypertrophy, not strength. The reps are high enough for hypertrophy, but are also low enough for a person with a fast metabolism, at only 160 lbs at 6' 2"

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/30/08 01:15 PM

"I train mainly for hypertrophy, not strength"

I don't want to tell you how to train as your body knows you better than I do. But it doesn't look like you are optimally training for Hypertrophy. For that you would do 1-6 reps with max weight... Regardless, monitor your flexibility and have a good spotter!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/30/08 02:53 PM

Cord gave me the rep scheme and training program when I asked for a mass-building regime. I am still very flexible, even after my hamstrings are sore as hell after romanian deadlifts

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 01/31/08 07:44 AM

Well Cord does know his stuff. So if it is working well for you, just ignore me while I go back to my corner.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/01/08 06:18 PM

01-31-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.8 x 25lbs.
--B.8 x 28lbs.
--C.9 x 30lbs.
--D.7 x 35lbs.

II. Chin-ups (supinated grip)
--A.8 x BW
--B.8 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.6 x BW

III. Standing DB Press
--A.8 x 35's
--B.6 x 35's
--C.5 x 35's

Reflection: Running late on time and was pumped like crazy so I skipped shrugs today. I was so pumped after dips/chin-ups that I could hardly lock out on DB press and could not touch my shoulder with the same arm. OKAY workout...better next time. Dips are coming along nicely

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/03/08 10:46 PM

02-3-08

Lower Body

I.Conventional Deadlifts
--A.10 x 210lbs.
--B.9 x 225lbs.
--C.8 x 240lbs.
--D.7 x 255lbs.

Reflection: Nice deadlift work! I was watching the Giants win as I worked out...Didn't do romanian's because I was wiped. I need to get back into better habits: start sleeping/eating more, doing cardio/abs, working out every other day, etc. From now on my habits change.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/13/08 06:13 PM

02-3-08

Lower Body

--A.10 x 210lbs.
--B.9 x 225lbs.
--C.8 x 240lbs.
--D.7 x 255lbs.

Comments: Tired, so didn't do romanian DL's. Need to get into better sleeping/eating habits and work out like I used to.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/13/08 06:15 PM

02-4-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.9 x 25lbs.
--B.8 x 28lbs.
--C.8 x 33lbs.
--D.8 x 35lbs.

II. Chin-Ups(supinated)
--A.10 x BW
--B.8 x BW
--C.7 x BW
--D.5 x BW

Comments: Felt as though I pulled a muscle in my back, near my shoulder blades. Played it safe and stopped.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/13/08 06:18 PM

02-9-08

Lower Body

--A.8 x 215lbs.
--B.8 x 230lbs.
--C.8 x 245lbs.
--D.7 x 255lbs.

Comments: Nice work on DL's. Tries lunges, but my knees felt as though they would pop. Going to find an alternative because I don't think that Romanian deadlifts are good enough. Worst comes to worst, I'll go back to doing them.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/13/08 06:24 PM

02-12-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.10 x 25lbs.
--B.9 x 30lbs.
--C.9 x 35lbs.
--D.8 x 40lbs.

II. Chin-ups(sup)
--A.9 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.7 x BW
--D.6 x BW

III. DB Military Press
--A.8 x 36lbs.
--B.6 x 36lbs.
--C.7 x 30lbs.

IV. Shrugs
--A.10 x 225lbs.
--B.8 x 240lbs.
--C.8 x 255lbs.

Comments: Nice workout. On last set of military press, I concentrated on not locking out and keeping my shoulder blades tight so that I would not engage my triceps and would only be using my shoulders.

BTW I took so many days off between my last upper body workout and my lower body because I hurt my hand and my back was still tight from 02-4-08. It's all good now.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/14/08 11:17 PM

Today I noticed that my conventional deadlift form was incorrect. Since I am using a standard bar, the plates are not as big as olympic sized plates, therefore the bar is lower to the ground, which results in me rounding my upper back. Being 6'2" doesn't help the situation either...

Since I now cannot do deadlifts, and do not have a squat rack, I need a solution. I was thinking about either going to my school gym on leg days on my one day off of work a week. This plan has its flaws though, because when school is out for extended periods of time, and when I have 2 leg days a week, meaning I'd be doing one leg day on the weekend, I'd have no access to the school gym. I'm considering joining a real gym, but I'm not so sure as of now because I know that I will pretty much be doing the same routine as I am now, just with different exercises on my leg days. The accessability also changes, as I have been spoiled with the luxury of being able to work out at home whenever I please. I feel as though I can focus more by myself, but I am willing to join a gym if I have no other option. Oh, and it also costs $$$, which I've never had to pay for at my own home

Before I decide, I am going to see if I can be innovative and create some leverage with wood(?) where the plates would sit on. Please do not bash this as a "safety issue," as I know that safety comes before anything. All of my other innovations have been safe (ex. two chairs side by side for dips; they each have 95lbs. of weight on them and are very, very sturdy)

But as for now, I tried a different routine today. I did 4 sets of romanian deadlifts and then 2 sets of barbell lunges. I worked on my lunge form, and I would have done more sets, but my glutes/hamstrings were so tight that I couldn't do anymore. It really hit my legs, but I'm not sure the routine hits my quads enough. I'll post the workout tomorrow - notebook is downstairs and it's late

Suggestions???
Posted by: Cord

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/15/08 08:57 AM

Quote:

Suggestions???

To be honest, it is not the lack of olympic plates that is the problem, but the lack of flexibility in your body that is forcing your back to round out with your current set up.

If you can set up a sturdy block/platform to raise the bar, then thats fine, but make sure it is very stable, and the correct height. Another option id to widen your stance, adjust your grip, and work on sumo deadlifts as an alternative.

Outside of that, you should really look at improving your soleus, gluteus, and hamstring flexibility so that your back does not 'tuck under' no matter what ROM you are lifting through.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/15/08 03:08 PM

Thanks, Cord. I'll try your suggestions and maybe start doing some daily stretching to get to that ROM. But in the meantime (if I can't build anything to raise the bar), should I do what I did last night, or just work on sumo DL's/wider stance on my leg days? I ask this because I think that the romanian DL's will give me more intensity/a better leg workout.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/15/08 05:52 PM

Romanians or sumo, once you reduce the ROM through the knee joints, you are removing workload from the legs.
i would be tempted to move on to heavy dumbell lunges instead and lay off deadlifts till you can get your rom sorted out.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/15/08 06:35 PM

So only do heavy lunges? No other exercise? I have a leg curl on my bench that I could use if there aren't and free weight exercises you can think of...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/16/08 04:02 AM

Heavy lunges work your hamstrings just fine, they also force an increase in calve flexibility, and help open up the hip ROM- good for working toward your deadlift technique.

Outside of those, work on your flexibility. Make it a priority, because if your posterior chain is too tight, then you are limiting your potential power generation, performance, and risking your postural integrity.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/19/08 01:04 PM

I've been looking around for stretching exercises...any suggestions for exercises and when to do the stretching?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/19/08 06:44 PM

02-17-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.8 x 30lbs
--B.8 x 35lbs.
--C.9 x 38lbs.
--D.6 x 43lbs.

II. Chin-ups, DB Military Press Superset(30-60sec rest each exercise)
--A.9 x BW --A.10 x 30's
--B.7 x BW --B.7 x 36's
--C.7 x BW --C.7 x 36's
--D.6 x BW --D.6 x 36's

Reflection: Skipped shrugs, was running late. Superset was crazy , couldn't feel my arms or forearms after.
Posted by: bwhite55

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/20/08 05:24 PM

i was gonna ask if you don't do any pulling, then i saw chins, but what about horizontal pulling like inverted rows or bent rows.

and what about horizontal pushing?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/20/08 05:30 PM

I don't know, Cord gave me this routine haha

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/20/08 06:30 PM

cord, could you explain the lack of horizontal movements, or is it just in a diff workout?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/20/08 09:55 PM

02-20-08

Lower Body/Abs

I. DB Lunges
--A.10 x 25lbs (each leg, dumbbell)
--B.10 x 30lbs
--C.9 x 36lbs
--D.8 x 36lbs

II. Stretching
--A.Right, Left, Mid(lean on right foot and touch ground, same with left, feet together for mid) - 10 seconds each
--B.Kick heights(kick to waist level 3x, then go up a foot) - 3rd height each leg (about 2 feet above waist)
--C.Body Squat/DL(kind of like a sumo deadlift, as I touch the ground between my legs with both hands, keeping my shoulders back) - 15 reps
--Repeat each exercise once more

III. Weighted Crunches
--A.13 x 20lbs.
--B.13 x 20lbs.
--C.12 x 26lbs.

IV. Stretching
--Same as before

Comments: Good workout. Kept weight shifted forward on lunges - only technique that is comfortable. Need help with stretching, but tonight's was a nice start.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/23/08 04:25 PM

02-22-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.9 x 30lbs.
--B.8 x 35lbs.
--C.9 x 38lbs.
--D.8 x 43lbs.
*superset* 1min rest between exercises
II. Pull-ups(pronated)
--A.8 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.8 x BW
--D.7 x BW

III. Dumbbell Military Press(weight for each hand)
--A.9 x 30lbs.
--B.7 x 36lbs.
--C.7 x 36lbs.

IV. Shrugs
--A.10 x 225lbs.
--B.9 x 240lbs.
--C.8 x 255lbs.

Reflection: Good workout. Had to split it into two sessions (military and shrugs later that night) because I was running late again . Going to stop doing that...

Question(s):
-Is it because I'm not warming up sufficiently that I sometimes get more reps on later sets? I don't think it's my intensity because I burn out every set...
-Can someone give me suggestions for stretching: How often to do it and what exercises, etc. Look at most recent leg day to see.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/23/08 04:56 PM

you can stretch every day. instead of laying in your lazy boy while watching tv, get on the ground and do basic stretches, ie v-sits, toe touches, etc. mountain climbers and groiners can both be great stretches as well.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/26/08 06:35 PM

I was thinking about trying barbell hack squats. They are pretty much deadlifts with the bar behind your feet. I'm pretty sure that the exercise would force my torso to remain more upright in the bottom position. I don't see how it could be a dangerous exercise if kept under control...I have never dropped the bar in any exercise, so the possibility of it dropping on my achilles tendons is the same possibility of the bar dropping and bouncing up and hitting my shins during a deadlift.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/26/08 08:48 PM

Nevermind that post, I'm just having withdrawals from deadlifts . Training hasn't really been my priority in the past few months. Starting tomorrow I'm going to really hit it heavy and not miss any days. I think my lack of sleep may have something to do with my lack of motivation. I'm going to look into making a platform as a temporary solution to deadlifts. PLEASE HELP WITH STRETCHING! A general stretching routine would be very appreciated.

The problem with my flexibility doesn't lie in my hamstrings - I get about 30+cm on the sit and reach test. It has to do with extreme pressure on my knees when my stance is too narrow. I'm only comfortable squatting down when my feet are pointed more outwards than most people and when my heels are about 18in apart from eachother. Maybe if I got used to a wide grip I could do deadlifts, though my hands would literally be about 3-3.5 feet apart...hmm...sumo + lunges? Or maybe its time to find somewhere to squat.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/27/08 11:33 PM

Practiced deadlift form. Was perfect with 165 lbs and 185 lbs, but then when I got to 205, I couldn't keep my legs underneath me. I think my knees were going too far over my feet and that I wasn't pushing completely through my heels. It's lack of glute and outer hip(?) flexibility.

Good news though: I was talking to my friend and he said that I could have his metal attachments that attach to bench presses. They are extra long and used for squats! I'm picking them up tomorrow and going to do a leg workout which consists of squats, lunges, weighted crunches, and stretching. I am still going to work towards becoming flexible enough so that I can do deadlifts to replace with lunges. Hopefully the attachments fit my bench press

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/28/08 02:38 PM

errr, what attachments? do you mean they fit the bar or they fit the bench? if they fit the bar, do they make it more closely resemble a cambered bar, or do they go on the bench for a spot rack?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/28/08 02:59 PM

Nevermind, they didn't fit anyway. They replaced the hooks of a bench - they are longer, enabling you to use them as a squat rack.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/28/08 03:04 PM

Going to take Cord's advice and just stick to lunges and stretching. No shortcuts here. I think I'm going to use a barbell for lunges, though, because I think I balance it better. Thinking about doing some overhead squats along with lunges. My form is pretty good now(I'd practice for fun random times)

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/29/08 07:20 AM

are you talking about OH lunges, or lunges w/ the bar on your back? if you can do OH lunges, they are far superior, IMO.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 02/29/08 03:28 PM

Quote:

are you talking about OH lunges, or lunges w/ the bar on your back? if you can do OH lunges, they are far superior, IMO.

Lunges with bar on my back. Then a separate exercise with bar over head and squat down. I did my leg workout yesterday and I just did split squats(basically standing in lunge position and squating down instead of walking forward), weighted crunches, and LOTS of stretching. I'll post it later since I'm not home.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/01/08 11:32 PM

02-28-08

Lower Body

I. Split squats(lunge position, no lunge)-rep each leg
--A.8 x 65lbs
--B.10 x 65lbs
--C.12 x 70lbs
--D.10 x 70lbs

II. Stretching
--A.Right, left, middle - 10sec
--B.Kick heights - 3rd height
--C.Deadlift form pose - 15sec
--D.R,L,M
--E.Kick heights - all same volume
--F.Deadlift form pose

III. Weighted crunches - 10sec V-sits in between sets(only rest)
--A.10 x 25lbs
--B.12 x 20lbs
--C.10 x 20lbs
--D.10 x 20lbs

IV. Stretching
--A.Deadlift form pose - 15sec
--B.1-leg forward bend down - 10sec
--C.R,L,M - 10sec
--D.DL pose form
--E.1-leg forward
--F.R,L,M

Comments: Very nice. For 1-legged stretch: Standing, put one leg forward and bend down and touch foot(leg straight). Keep back foot flat to stretch calves. Finger tips were about 3in past feet during v-sits . To see explanation of stretches, go back to previous leg day.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/01/08 11:39 PM

03-1-08

Upper Body

I. Dips
--A.9 x 33lbs
--B.8 x 38lbs
--C.8 x 43lbs
--D.6 x 45lbs

II. Chin-ups - supinated, chest to bar
--A.10 x BW
--B.8 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.4 x BW

III. Overhead DB Press
--A.8 x 36's
--B.7 x 36's
--C.5 x 36's

IV. Shrugs
--A.12 x 235lbs
--B.8 x 250lbs
--C.8 x 260lbs

Comments: Awesome workout , chest to bar on chin-ups is amazing!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/14/08 06:09 PM

03-6-08

Lower Body

I. Walking Lunges(BB)
--A.10 x 70lbs. (each leg)
--B.10 x 75lbs.
--C.8 x 80lbs.
--D.8 x 85lbs.

II. Stretching
--A.R,L,M - 10sec
--B.Kick heights - 3rd height
--C.Deadlift pose - 15sec
--Repeat A,B,C

III. Weighted Crunches with V-sits(10sec each side) as rest
--A.15 x 20lbs.
--B.10 x 26lbs.
--C.12 x 30lbs.
--D.11 x 30lbs.

Comments: Great job on lunges. Bar in clean position forced my torso to keep upright throughout movement.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/14/08 06:15 PM

03-9-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.8 x 35lbs.
--B.9 x 38lbs.
--C.8 x 43lbs.
--D.7 x 45lbs.

II. Chin-ups (supinated, chest to bar)
--A.10 x BW
--B.6 x BW
--C.7 x BW
--D.4 x BW

III. Standing DB Press
--A.9 x 36's
--B.7 x 36's
--C.4 x 36's

IV. Shrugs
--A.10 x 240lbs.
--B.8 x 250lbs.
--C.7 x 260lbs.

Comments: Lowered rest time to 60-90 seconds(used to be around 90-120). Lost energy by last sets of chins and overhead press...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/14/08 06:21 PM

03-13-08

Lower Body

I. Walking Lunges
--A.10 x 75lbs. (each leg)
--B.9 x 80lbs.
--C.8 x 85lbs.
--D.8 x 90lbs.

II. Stretching
--A.R,L,M - 10sec
--B.Kick heights - 4th height
--C.Deadlift pose - 10sec
--Repeat A,B,C

III. Weighted Crunches
--A.12 x 26lbs.
--B.10 x 30lbs.
--C.10 x 30lbs.
--D.10 x 36lbs.

Comments: Nice workout. Crunches were 10x easier; same technique and everything...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/21/08 12:14 AM

Update: I've had some symptoms of a cold lingering on at around the time of my last post. I have another workout from last saturday or sunday, which I'll post later. This whole week I've had a bad cold and was so drained and didn't really feel well at all. From my past experiences, for me, when I work out when sick it just makes it worse. I'm going to work out tomorrow since all I have is a runny nose

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/21/08 06:41 PM

Hey General,
What is your fighting 'style/system'.
I'm just wondering because I am trying to get an idea of whether you need to work on proximal muscles for throwing/grappling, or if you need to work on more strength in arms and legs for kicking/punching.
Just curious.
C-

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/21/08 10:45 PM

Quote:

Hey General,
What is your fighting 'style/system'.
I'm just wondering because I am trying to get an idea of whether you need to work on proximal muscles for throwing/grappling, or if you need to work on more strength in arms and legs for kicking/punching.
Just curious.
C-

I'm not involved in any form of martial arts. I joined this forum because I was attracted to the knowledge of the people here and how everyone helps eachother out. Maybe I'll get into MA one day; if I was going to I would probably do boxing or kickboxing...
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/22/08 03:12 PM

Quote:

I'm not involved in any form of martial arts. I joined this forum because I was attracted to the knowledge of the people here and how everyone helps eachother out. Maybe I'll get into MA one day; if I was going to I would probably do boxing or kickboxing...

That's good to know, I feel the same way about the members of this forum. I guess that's why I'm still here.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/23/08 08:02 PM

03-15-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.8 x 38lbs.
--B.8 x 40lbs.
--C.8 x 45lbs.
--D.5 x 48lbs.

II. Chin-ups(supinated)
--A.10 x BW
--B.8 X BW
--C.5 X BW
--D.5 X BW

III. Standing DB Press
--A.8 X 36's
--B.6 x 36's
--C.5 x 36's

Comments: Diet before workout was bad - didn't eat enough, so I was drained after chins(why I skipped shrugs). Not a bad workout...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/23/08 08:11 PM

03-23-08

Lower Body

I. Speed Jope - 10min with 1 break inbetween

II. Walking Lunges(reps for each leg)
--A.10 x 80lbs.
--B.8 x 80lbs.
--C.8 x 85lbs.
--D.8 x 85lbs.

III. Stretching(if you don't understand, refer to previous pages)
--A. R,L,M - 10sec
--B. Kick heights - 4th height
--C. Deadlift pose - 15sec
--D. Repeat ABC

IV. Weighted Crunches with first 2 sets supersetted with medicine ball push-ups
--A.12 x 26lbs. | 10x right, left
--B.10 x 30lbs. | 10x right, left
--C.11 x 36lbs.
--D.10 x 36lbs.

V. V-sits - 10sec each position, 2 sets

Comments: Form on lunges was bad until last set - this is why I kept it light...Last set I made bigger lunges and my right side felt more comfortable/balanced. Going to start stretching every day

BTW, not really sick anymore and I felt great doing this workout tonight, even while doing lunges/speed rope outside And HAPPY EASTER!@!, I didn't hold back from pigging out because I was so worried about it, but because I just don't like to anymore. While I had a cold/didn't feel well I naturally got thinner and I liked the way I looked. I know its because I didn't eat as much because my appetite from being all stuffed up and feeling sick. Even thinner people have to watch out for over-eating...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/24/08 07:29 PM

03-24-08

Cardio & Stretching

I. Speed Rope
--A. 10-15min total; about 10 burn-out sets of ranging from 45-60seconds, most times starting at a mod. pace and working up to full speed.

II. Stretching - 3 sets
--A. V-sits - 10sec each
--B. R,L,M - 10sec each
--C. Kick heights - 4th height
--D. Leg Pull - 15-20sec each

Comments: Liked new leg pull stretch. It's where you lay on your back and pull one leg toward your stomach using your arms to pull/stretch it as much as possible.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/25/08 03:55 PM

I've been thinking about joining a gym lately. My upper body workout is 10x more intense than my leg workout, which will never give me great results. Maybe I'll join a gym so I can do squats and never have to worry about setting up equipment such as adjusting dumbbells, weighting chairs to do dips, balancing a heavy barbell on my bench to do shrugs, going outside in the cold weather to do certain exercises, etc.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 03/25/08 09:49 PM

Going to check my deadlift form next leg workout. I'll use some heavy poundage, because you can't really tell if your form is going to be good when you lift heavy if you only check your form when you're using hardly any weight...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/01/08 03:24 PM

I've come up with a more effective leg day workout:

I. Clean to front squat (1 clean, 2 front squats, deload, repeat) - the extra cleans are to improve form.

II. Barbell overhead squats - might do same thing but with snatches. Think I should

III. Weighted Crunches

IV. Stretching

Is this a good idea? I think this will target my legs better than lunges, which were not the best for me in terms of balance and stiffness in my right knee. Squats feel 10x more natural - much more balanced and puts hardly any pressure on the knees. The only problem I see is using too much upperbody by practicing extra cleans/snatches - I'd wait until the weight became moderate/heavy with no form flaws to stop the extra cleans/snatches, which could be a while...

Cord, I know it seems like I never stick to your advice all the way through, but I feel as though I could be doing more effective exercises, such as these, while working on my stretching to become more flexible.

BTW I will post about 3 workout that I have yet to in a few hours.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/09/08 05:24 PM

I'm going to post the workouts I have written down in my notebook later tonight. I haven't been doing so since I usually just leave it downstairs, where I work out. I haven't really been keeping up with my weight lifting for the past couple months; I got lazy. I am extremely anxious to start working out consistantly, eating cleaner, and making gains. I worked out my legs last night and felt great and I'm going to work out again tonight since I'm going to the Mets game tomorrow and won't have time to work out. Can't wait

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/20/08 06:26 PM

03-27-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips/Chin-ups superset
--A.9 x 35lbs. | BW x 8 (6 pronated, 2 sup)
--B.8 x 40lbs. | BW x 7 (sup)
--C.7 x 45lbs. | BW x 7 (sup)
--D.6 x 45lbs. | BW x 5 (sup)

II. Standing Military Press
--A.8 x 75lbs.
--B.5 x 80lbs.
--C.5 x 80lbs.

III. Shrugs
--A.12 x 225lbs
--B.10 x 240lbs
--C.8 x 255lbs.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/20/08 06:28 PM

03-31-08

Lower Body

I. Clean & Front Squat (1 clean, 2 squats - repeat)
--A.10 x 75lbs
--B.10 x 75lbs
--C.10 x 85lbs
--D.8 x 85lbs

Comments: Practiced form with light weight. Would like this to be leg workout along with overhead squats

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/20/08 06:31 PM

04-3-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.8 x 35lbs
--B.8 x 40lbs
--C.8 x 43lbs
--D.7 x 45lbs

II. Chin-ups(supinated)
--A.10 x BW
--B.6 x BW
--C.4 x BW

III. DB Overhead Press
--A.10 x 30's
--B.6 x 36's
--C.6 x 36's

IV. 1-Armed DB Shrugs
--A.10 x 80's (each arm)
--B.8 x 90's
--C.8 x 90's

Comments: Burned out on chin-ups because I haven't been working out consistantly. Mediocre workout...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/20/08 06:35 PM

04-8-08

Lower Body

I. Clean to front squat (1xclean, 2xsquat) superset w/ weighted crunches
--A.10 x 85lbs | 15 x 20lbs
--B.10 x 90lbs | 15 x 26lbs
--C.10 x 95lbs | 15 x 26lbs
--D.10 x 105lbs | 15 x 30lbs

II. Overhead Squats
--A.8 x 75lbs
--B.8 x 75lbs
--C.8 x 75lbs

Comments: Form got a little sloppy on 4th set of clean/squat.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/20/08 06:41 PM

04-11-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.8 x 35lbs
--B.7 x 38lbs
--C.6 x 38lbs
--D.6 x 40lbs

II. Chin-ups(sup)
--A.10 x BW
--B.5 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.8 x BW (negatives)

III. Overhead Barbell Press
--A.8 x 75lbs
--B.8 x 75lbs
--C.5 x 75lbs

IV. DB Shrugs
--A.12 x 80's
--B.10 x 90's
--C.10 x 90's

Comments: Burned out quickly. Should have seen it coming with inconsistancy. I'll be back to where I was soon.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/20/08 06:45 PM

04-14-08

Lower Body

I. Clean to Front Squats (1xclean, 3x squat)
--A.9 x 95lbs
--B.9 x 95lbs
--C.9 x 105lbs
--D.9 x 105lbs

II. Overhead Squats
--A.7 x 55lbs
--B.8 x 55lbs
--C.9 x 55lbs
--D.8 x 65lbs

Comments: Clean form improving. Need to follow through on upward phase when rotating arms. OH squats are tough to balance. Starting very light to get it right.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/20/08 06:48 PM

04-16-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.10 x 30lbs
--B.7 x 35lbs
--C.8 x 35lbs - some mean last rep adrenaline!
--D.6 x 40lbs

II. Chin-ups (supinated grip)
--A.9 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.4 + 3 x BW (broken set)
--D.8 x BW (3 regular, 5 negatives)

III. Barbell Military Press
--A.8 x 75lbs
--B.8 x 75lbs
--C.8 x 75lbs

Comments: Trying to build back up!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/20/08 06:52 PM

04-17-08

Lower Body

I. Front Squats (rack)
--A.8 x 155lbs
--B.7 x 155lbs
--C.7 x 155lbs
--D.5 x 165lbs

II. Overhead Squats
--A.8 x 75lbs
--B.9 x 75lbs
--C.8 x 85lbs
--D.9 x 85lbs

III. Weighted Crunches
--A.15 x 25lbs
--B.15 x 30lbs
--C.12 x 30lbs

Comments: Did workout at Powerhouse's house. Used his rack for squats. Need to reach further back into "seat" when squatting. OH squats were VERY nice - form is vastly improving.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/20/08 06:57 PM

04-20-8

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.9 x 35lbs
--B.7 x 40lbs
--C.7 x 43lbs
--D.5 x 45lbs

II. Chin-Ups
--A.10 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.4 + 1 x BW (broken set)
--D.5 x BW

III. Standing Military Press
--A.8 x 75lbs
--B.6 x 80lbs
--C.6 x 80lbs

IV. Single Arm DB Shrugs
--A.10 x 80lbs (each arm)
--B.8 x 90lbs
--C.10 x 100lbs

Comments: Overall good progress. Plyo squat position for shrugs. Remember to look at ceiling when doing chin-ups to make it easier and touch chest to bar.

-UPDATED ALL WORKOUTS

Feels like I'm getting back on track, boys

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/25/08 09:26 PM

04-23-08

Lower Body

I. Clean to Front Squat
--A.9 x 95lbs
--B.10 x 105lbs
--C.10 x 115lbs
--D.8 x 125lbs

II. Overhead Squats
--A.8 x 75lbs
--B.8 x 75lbs
--C.8 x 85lbs

Comments: Good progress. Forms are coming along nicely.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/25/08 09:38 PM

04-25-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.9 x 38lbs
--B.8 x 43lbs
--C.7 x 45lbs
--D.6 x 48lbs

II. Chin-ups(sup)
--A.9 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.5 x BW
--D.3 x BW + 5 negatives

III. Military Press
--A.8 x 80lbs
--B.7 x 80lbs
--C.8 x 85lbs (narrower grip)

IV. Single Arm DB Shrugs
--A.8 x 100lbs (each)
--B.8 x 110lbs (straps)
--C.8 x 110lbs (straps)

Comments: Good workout. Forearms gave out before the rest of my muscles during chin-ups. Going to need to go back to barbell shrugs - only reason I switched was because it's a pain in the ass to set up the barbell; I have to take all of my weights outside into my garage and then balance it on my bench because I don't want to hurt myself incorrectly deadlifting that heavy load. But I may start doing my dips outside as well as all my other exercises, so that little issue will no longer remain.

I feel good about my recent progress/consistancy

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/03/08 12:28 PM

04-28-08

Lower Body

I. Clean to Front Squats
--A.8 x 115lbs
--B.8 x 115lbs
--C.8 x 115lbs
--D.8 x 125lbs

II. Overhead Squats
--A.8 x 65lbs
--B.8 x 75lbs
--C.8 x 85lbs
--D.8 x 95lbs

Comments: Clean form was great, but front squat form wasn't the greatest today, so I kept the weight low. Overhead squats went well. Started drinking met-rx protein plus again for conveinience reasons.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/03/08 12:35 PM

05-1-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips & Chin-Up Superset
--A.8 x 40lbs | 8 x BW
--B.8 x 43lbs | 7 x BW
--C.7 x 45lbs | 6 x BW
--D.7 x 50lbs | 6 x BW

II. Barbell Military Press
--A.8 x 80lbs
--B.6 x 85lbs
--C.7 x 85lbs

III. Single arm T-bar Shrugs
--A.10,10 x 95lbs
--B.10,10 x 115lbs
--C.9,9 x 100lbs

Comments: Great workout! Superset couldn't have gone better. Shrugs were a mess though because I mistakenly held the very end of the barbell for the first 2 sets. I'm going to start working out in my garage again and doing regular shrugs by elevating the bar with my bench.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/03/08 06:31 PM

05-3-08

Lower Body

I. Clean to Front Squats
--A.9 x 115lbs - Perfect Form
--B.10 x 120lbs - Perfect Form
--C.9 x 125lbs - Perfect Form
--D.8 x 130lbs - Almost Perfect Form

II. Overhead Squats
--A.8 x 75lbs - Decent Form
--B.9 x 75lbs - Perfect Form
--C.7 x 85lbs - Sloppy on last 2 reps
--D.8 x 85lbs - Almost Perfect Form

Note: Remember to use semi-wide stance and focus on sitting back into an imaginary chair. Also remember to close stance after last rep and bend at hips to deload bar to prevent back pain.

Comments: Warmed up extra to find comfortable squat form. I just focused on sitting back into an imaginary seat rather than bending at the knees. On OH squats, I focused on pinching shoulder blades together and flexing traps.

Damn good workout

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/11/08 08:24 PM

05-7-08

Upper Body

I. Weighted Dips
--A.7 x 35lbs
--B.6 x 35lbs
--C.7 x 35lbs
--D.4 x 38lbs

II. Chin-Ups
--A.9 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.4 x BW

III. Military Press
--A.8 x 85lbs
--B.7 x 85lbs
--C.4 x 90lbs

IV. Barbell Shrugs
--A.8 x 225lbs
--B.8 x 240lbs
--C.8 x 255lbs

Comments: Used better technique for dips; leaned forward more. Went slower on chin-ups. Should do better next workout

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/11/08 08:29 PM

05-10-08

Lower Body

I. Clean to Front Squats
--A.9 x 125lbs Perfect Form(squat)
--B.8 x 135lbs Perfect Form
--C.8 x 145lbs Almost Perfect Form
--D.7 x 155lbs Almost Perfect Form, sloppy clean form

II. Overhead Squats/Weighted Crunches Superset
--A.10 x 70lbs | 12 x 26lbs
--B.8 x 80lbs | 12 x 30lbs
--C.8 x 90lbs | 10 x 36lbs
--D.8 x 100lbs | 10 x 40lbs

Comments: Great improvements on everything. Clean form was a little sloppy today. Consistancy was off this week because of lack of sleep and I was pretty busy. Going to keep consistant though.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/13/08 09:55 PM

05-13-08

Upper Body

I. Incline Dumbbell Press
--A.10 x 40's
--B.9 x 46's
--C.8 x 50's
--D.5 x 50's

II. Chin-Ups
--A.8 x BW (pronated)
--B.7 x BW (supinated)
--C.7 x BW (pronated)
--D.5 + 1 x BW (supinated)

III. Barbell Military Press
--A.9 x 85lbs
--B.6 x 90lbs
--C.5 x 90lbs

IV. Shrugs
--A.10 x 235lbs
--B.9 x 245lbs
--C.8 x 255lbs

V. Cool Down
--A. Jump rope for a few minutes

Comments: Great workout! Changed to incline press out of boredom. It had also been 5 months since I did any type of bench press. Did great on everything. Cooled down to prevent aches/pains/injuries

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/15/08 10:58 PM

Looking back, I'm very disappointed with my behavior over the past several months. I have limited my potential by being lazy and inconsistant, and I won't allow myself to do this any longer. I've had mediocre gains since early last fall because of this, and I'm not going to let myself become this "occasional lifter."

While still maintaining a normal lifestyle, I am going to train as hard and focused as I did last summer, if not even more intense. However, this time around, I won't give up after the summer. I'm mature enough to be committed to something and stick with a schedule, and I remember how much I used to look forward to and enjoy my workouts. I'm definitely sure that I can start to feel this way again with my current routine, and that is sure as hell what I'm going to do. I'm ready to prove to myself, and whoever's watching here , that I can go above and beyond, reaching any goals I reach for.

No more lolly-gagging around anymore.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/17/08 07:00 PM

After almost hurting my wrists during clean to front squats today, I'm now certain that I need to join a gym. I'm going to look around for the one most suitable for me and buy a 2-months subscription tomorrow. I'll only need 2 months because I'm going away to college late August and they have a few nice, big facilities that I'll be using most of next year.

If for some reason anyone knows of any really good gyms in Suffolk, Long Island, please post here

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/18/08 02:13 PM

05-17-08

Lower Body

I. Clean to Front Squats
--A.9 x 135lbs
--B.7 x 145lbs
--C.7 x 150lbs

II. Overhead Squats
--A.8 x 90lbs
--B.8 x 95lbs
--C.8 x 100lbs
--D.6 x 105lbs

III. Weighted Crunches (decline)
--A.12 x 30lbs
--B.10 x 36lbs
--C.10 x 36lbs
--D.8 x 40lbs

Comments: This was the last straw, making me realize I need to join a gym immediately. There's too much risk in trying to barbell clean without proper training from an instructor. OH squats and crunches were nice, though

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/18/08 02:18 PM

My brother has a membership to a local gym, called Energy. I'm going to pay him for 2 months and I already called the gym and they said that I can simply transfer the membership into my name when I go down there. I'm going to go there today and transfer the membership and do my upper body workout.

Cord, banking on the fact that the gym has everything any other no-nonsense gym would have, which I will confirm later after I go there, would barbell back squats, overhead squats, and weighted crunches be good exercises for my leg day?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/18/08 02:49 PM

Went there today and there was only one girl there, who was unable to do the transaction, but I left my info and I'm going to do it tomorrow.

I could've worked out there, but they were closing in 30 mins . It was small, but from the looks of it, it looked pretty good. I saw the large dumbbell rack, some power racks, benches, etc.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/19/08 09:51 PM

05-19-08

Upper Body

--A.10 x 45's
--B.9 x 50's
--C.8 x 55's
--D.5 x 55's

II. Chin-ups
--A.9 x BW (pronated)
--B.7 x BW (supine)
--C.5 x BW (hammer)

III. Standing Barbell Military Press
--A.8 x 85lbs
--B.6 x 90lbs
--C.4 x 90lbs

IV. Shrugs
--A.10 x 245lbs
--B.8 x 255lbs
--C.8 x 265lbs

Comments: Joined Energy Fitness Gym today. I went around 8:00pm and finished around 8:45pm, which is unusual for me. It's a really small gym, but it has everything I could need, as I don't use machines at all. It only took me 45mins total, and I was new to the gym and had to sign up first. The convienience of the equipment compared to my home setup is 10x better; I can just pick up any pair of dumbbells I like, which I should hardly ever have a problem with waiting for a pair, since mostly older people who don't use the heavy weights I do go there. There's only one power rack, along with a separate smith machine, but I didn't have to wait for it to do my military press and shrugs. If I wanted to, I could set the safety bars to the bottom pin, which would fix my deadlift problem.

It wasn't crowded at all, and being a monday night, how much more crowded can it get on a weekday? I'm thinking of only working out during the week so that I won't have to worry about it being crowded during the shorter weekend hours.

Overall it's a nice gym with a friendly atmosphere and I'm glad I joined. I swear 75% of the people were 35+ years old and had a trainer teaching them isolation movements.

I should start to improve on chin-ups and military press soon

BTW, Cord , please read a few posts back asking about my leg day...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/21/08 09:15 PM

05-21-08

Lower Body

I. Front Squats
--A.8 x 135lbs
--B.8 x 145lbs
--C.7 x 155lbs
--C.7 x 160lbs

II. Overhead Squats
--A.8 x 95lbs
--B.8 x 95lbs
--C.5 x 95lbs (drop)

III. Weighted Crunches (decline)
--A.10 x 35lbs
--B.8 x 40lbs
--C.8 x 40lbs
--D.8 x 40lbs

Comments: Great form on front squats! First time using a rack besides at Powerhouses' house. Felt great and can't wait to up the poundage! Overhead squats were a different story...wasn't used to the larger width of the bar, and I didn't bring gloves, so it was tough to grip - I'm used to using a standard bar. Next time I'll remember to bring gloves or look for a standard bar.

I really like the gym so far. It has a great feeling to it and it's never crowded when I go; mainly because I go late, around 7:45pm.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/24/08 06:17 PM

05-24-08

Upper Body

I. Incline DB Press
--A.9 x 50's
--B.9 x 55's
--C.7 x 55's
--D.4 x 60's

II. Chin-ups
--A.8 x BW (pronated)
--B.7 x BW (pronated)
--C.6 x BW (supinated)
--D.5 x BW (supinated)

III. Military Press
--A.8 x 85lbs
--B.8 x 85lbs
--C.5 x 95lbs

IV. Shrugs
--A.8 x 250lbs
--B.8 x 260lbs
--C.7 x 270lbs

Comments: Good workout, keeping up the pace. Grip was failing on end of 3rd shrug set.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/31/08 05:10 PM

05-26-08

Lower Body

I. Romanian Deadlifts
--A.8 x 165lbs
--B.8 x 175lbs
--C.8 x 185lbs

II. Weighted Crunches
--A.12 x 35lbs
--B.10 x 40lbs
--C.10 x 40lbs
--D.8 x 45lbs

Comments: Gym closed at 3pm today because of the holiday and I didn't get to make it there. Kept it easy in my garage.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/31/08 05:14 PM

05-29-08

Upper Body

--A.8 x 55's
--B.6 x 55's
--C.6 x 55's
--D.2 x 60's

II. Chin-ups (supinated with a wider grip)
--A.10 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.5 x BW

III. Seated DB Overhead Press
--A.10 x 35's
--B.7 x 40's
--C.6 x 40's

IV. Shrugs
--A.8 x 255lbs
--B.7 x 265lbs
--C.5 + 3 x 275lbs

Comments: Good workout. On the last set of incline bench press it took so much out of me just to get the first rep up which set me up for a failed set. Next time I'll remember to use my momentum for the first rep and just not count it. Chin-up grip felt great. OH press was nice and I feel more comfortable sitting down. I was losing my grip on shrugs so on the last set I put the weight down and quickly picked it back up to finish the set.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/03/08 10:07 PM

06-3-08

Lower Body

I. Front Squats
--A.8 x 145lbs
--B.8 x 155lbs
--C.6 x 165lbs
--D.5 x 165lbs

II. Leg Press
--A.6 x 270lbs
--B.8 x 230lbs
--C.8 x 230lbs
--D.8 x 240lbs

III. Weighted Crunches
--A.12 x 35lbs
--B.10 x 40lbs
--C.10 x 45lbs
--D.9 x 45lbs

Comments: Legs were cramping during front squats...it affected my performance. Next time I'll warm up on a bike before doing legs. I wanted a more powerful secondary to my front squats, something that would make me really feel my legs bulging, like the squats do for me, so I decided on the leg press. Had to find a comfortable spot, so I lowered the weight after the first set.

Is front squats + leg press overkill? I know they are essentially the same exercise but one lacks the core stability, but aren't all leg exercises besides curls/extentions pretty much the same movements?
-Leave your thoughts

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/07/08 12:47 AM

06-3-08

Lower Body

I. Front Squats
--A.8 x 145lbs
--B.8 x 155lbs
--C.6 x 165lbs
--D.5 x 165lbs

II. Leg Press (only counting plates added. Is there added weight like a barbell has that you calculate?
--A.6 x 270lbs
--B.8 x 230lbs
--C.8 x 230lbs
--D.8 x 240lbs

III. Weighted Crunches
--A.12 x 35lbs
--B.10 x 40lbs
--C.10 x 45lbs
--D.9 x 45lbs

Comments: Legs were cramping duing squats - I'll warm up beforehand next time. Wanted a bigger leg exercise after squats, so I decided to try the leg press, which I enjoyed. I know that the leg press is just like squats w/o the core stability needed; is it alright to do squats then leg press?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/07/08 12:51 AM

06-5-08

Upper Body

I. Incline DB Press
--A.9 x 55's
--B.8 x 55's
--C.6 x 60's
--D.4 x 60's

II. Chin-ups (supinated, wide grip)
--A.10 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.5 x BW
--D.4 x BW

III. Seated Military Press
--A.10 x 35's
--B.8 x 40's
--C.3 x 45's

IV. Shrugs
--A.8 x 255lbs
--B.8 x 265lbs
--C.8 x 275lbs

Comments: Improving on everything BUT chin-ups. Is there anything I can do to improve on them? Should I try adding more resistance to try and break that plateau?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/07/08 11:57 AM

Quote:

06-3-08

Lower Body

I. Front Squats
--A.8 x 145lbs
--B.8 x 155lbs
--C.6 x 165lbs
--D.5 x 165lbs

II. Leg Press (only counting plates added. Is there added weight like a barbell has that you calculate?
--A.6 x 270lbs
--B.8 x 230lbs
--C.8 x 230lbs
--D.8 x 240lbs

III. Weighted Crunches
--A.12 x 35lbs
--B.10 x 40lbs
--C.10 x 45lbs
--D.9 x 45lbs

Comments: Legs were cramping duing squats - I'll warm up beforehand next time. Wanted a bigger leg exercise after squats, so I decided to try the leg press, which I enjoyed. I know that the leg press is just like squats w/o the core stability needed; is it alright to do squats then leg press?

Oops! Forgot that I already posted this lol. Oh well

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/08/08 05:04 PM

06-8-08

Lower Body

I. Front Squats
--A.8 x 145lbs
--B.8 x 155lbs
--C.6 x 165lbs
--D.6 x 170lbs

II. Leg Press
--A.8 x 230lbs
--B.8 x 235lbs
--C.8 x 240lbs
--D.8 x 245lbs

Comments: No time for crunches - gym was closing. Did this workout in 25-30 minutes . Legs feel good afterwards

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/12/08 11:21 PM

06-10-08

Upper Body

I. Flat DB Press (the good incline bench was taken)
--A.9 x 55's
--B.6 x 60's
--C.4 x 60's
--D.3 x 60's

II. Chin-ups - Pronated
--A.8 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.5 x BW
--D.4 x BW

--A.9 x 40's
--B.5 x 45's
--C.4 x 45's

IV. Shrugs
--A.8 x 260lbs
--B.8 x 270lbs
--C.8 x 280lbs

Comments: Decent workout. Raised the weight for everything, so I got let reps in. Hopefully they'll be there next time. Only thing that's lacking out of my whole upper/lower routine is chin-ups. Suggestions?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/12/08 11:24 PM

06-12-08

Lower Body

I. Back Squats
--A.10 x 150lbs
--B.8 x 160lbs
--C.8 x 170lbs
--D.8 x 180lbs

II. Leg Press
--A.8 x 235lbs
--B.8 x 245lbs
--C.8 x 255lbs
--D.8 x 265lbs

III. Weighted Crunches
--A.10 x 40lbs
--B.10 x 40lbs
--C.10 x 45lbs
--D.8 x 45lbs

Comments: Tried back squats for the first time ever today. They felt a lot more natural than front squats, so I think I'll stick with them. No flaws in leg workout

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/14/08 09:56 AM

Maybe your getting heavier so reps are harder now than they were before?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/14/08 02:21 PM

Quote:

Maybe your getting heavier so reps are harder now than they were before?

I have gotten heavier, I'm between 162lbs - 164lbs, but that isn't too much heavier...

For now on I'm going to keep the same grip/ grip width for every workout.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/18/08 06:05 PM

06-15-08

Upper Body(@ home)

I. Incline DB Press
--A.7 x 55's
--B.5 x 55's
--C.5 x 55's
--D.3 x 55's

II. Chin-Ups - Supine Grip
--A.9 x BW
--B.8 x BW
--C.7 x BW
--D.6 x BW

--A.8 x 40's
--B.7 x 40's
--C.2 x 45's

Comments: Worked out at home because I couldn't make it to the gym before it closed. Weights are definitely heavier at home, so I didn't get the same numbers than I would've at the gym.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/18/08 06:07 PM

06-17-08

Lower Body

I. Back Squats
--A.8 x 160lbs
--B.8 x 170lbs
--C.8 x 180lbs
--D.8 x 190lbs

II. Leg Press
--A.8 x 240lbs
--B.8 x 250lbs
--C.8 x 260lbs
--D.8 x 270lbs

III. Weighted Crunches
--A.10 x 45lbs
--B.10 x 45lbs
--C.8 x 50lbs
--D.9 x 50lbs

Comments: Awesome workout! Loving back squats so far.
Posted by: Rottotloorm

Buy Viagra On Line - 06/19/08 04:13 AM

Martial artists are virile, and stud-like. We are all blessed with the testosterone from Chuck Norris's beard upon recieving our first rank, and have no need of your undergarment-stretching chemicals. Be gone, peddler of smut enablement.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/19/08 05:13 AM

troll aren't only startin new threads for this [Email]cr@p[/Email] they are leaching onto exisiting ones...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/19/08 01:54 PM

Lol I guess my log makes people want to sell me viagra!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/30/08 11:28 AM

I'm going to update later. I slacked off a little during the week of prom/graduation, but school's all over with, so I'll be good from now on. I am increasing on every exercise on my leg days(back squats, leg press, weighted crunches), which is great. I'm up to 210 on squats, 300 on leg press, and 55 on weighted crunches . Can't wait to get squats up there

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/09/08 03:13 PM

06-20-08

Upper Body

I. Incline DB Press
--A.8 x 55's
--B.8 x 55's
--C.5 x 60's
--D.3 x 60's

II. Chin-ups (Pronated)
--A.9 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.5 x BW

III. Seated DB Military Press
--A.8 x 45's
--B.6 x 45's
--C.4 x 45's

IV. Shrugs
--A.10 x 265lbs
--B.8 x 275lbs
--C.8 x 285lbs

Comments: Reps will come, keep the weights

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/09/08 03:16 PM

06-23-08

Lower Body

I. Squats
--A.10 x 165lbs
--B.9 x 175lbs
--C.8 x 185lbs
--D.7 x 195lbs

II. Leg Press
--A.8 x 255lbs
--B.8 x 265lbs
--C.8 x 275lbs
--D.8 x 285lbs

III. Weighted Crunches
--A.12 x 45lbs
--B.10 x 50lbs
--C.9 x 50lbs
--D.10 x 50lbs

Comments: Calculated weight for leg press incorrectly - pushed me to do more. Squats were OKAY, Crunches were great.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/09/08 03:19 PM

06-27-08

Upper Body

I. Incline DB Press
--A.9 x 55's
--B.7 x 55's
--C.6 x 55's
--D.5 x 55's

II. Chin-Ups (Pronated)
--A.9 x BW
--B.6 x BW
--C.7 x BW
--D.5 x BW

III. Seated DB Press
--A.8 x 45's
--B.6 x 45's
--C.4 x 45's

IV. Shrugs
--A.8 x 270lbs
--B.8 x 280lbs
--C.6 x 290lbs (grip slipping)

Comments: Haven't been consistant. Done with school, so I should be good from now on...bad workout

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/09/08 03:22 PM

06-29-08

Lower Body

I. Squats
--A.8 x 180lbs
--B.9 x 190lbs
--C.8 x 200lbs
--D.7 x 210lbs

II. Leg Press supersetted with Weighted Crunches
--A.8 x 255lbs | 12 x 45lbs
--B.8 x 270lbs | 12 x 50lbs
--C.8 x 285lbs | 10 x 55lbs
--D.8 x 300lbs | 10 x 55lbs

Comments: Great workout! Increased in everything. First 300lb exercise ever!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/09/08 03:25 PM

07-1-08

Upper Body

I. Incline DB Press
--A.10 x 50's oops! wrong set of DB's!
--B.8 x 55's
--C.8 x 55's
--D.5 x 60's

II. Chin-Ups (pronated)
--A.8 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.5 x BW

III. Seated DB Military Press (same as seated DB press)
--A.9 x 45's
--B.5 x 50's
--C.3 x 50's

IV. Shrugs
--A.8 x 275lbs
--B.8 x 285lbs
--C.8 x 295lbs

Comments: Good workout, keep it up!

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/09/08 03:27 PM

07-5-08

Lower Body

I. Squats
--A.8 x 185lbs
--B.8 x 195lbs
--C.8 x 205lbs
--D.6 x 215lbs

II. Leg Press
--A.8 x 260lbs
--B.8 x 275lbs
--C.8 x 290lbs
--D.8 x 305lbs

III. Weighted Crunches
--A.10 x 50lbs
--B.12 x 50lbs
--C.10 x 55lbs
--D.10 x 55lbs

Comments: Good workout.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/09/08 03:30 PM

07-7-08

Upper Body

I. Incline DB Press
--A.10 x 55's
--B.7 x 60's
--C.5 x 60's
--D.5 x 60's

II. Chin-ups (pronated grip)
--A.9 x BW
--B.6 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.4 x BW

III. Seated DB Press
--A.7 x 50's
--B.4 x 50's
--C.4 x 50's

IV. Shrugs
--A.8 x 280lbs
--B.6 x 290lbs
--C.5 x 290lbs

Comments: Not a great workout. Wanted more reps on every exercise. Grip kept slipping on shrugs...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/10/08 10:13 PM

07-10-08

Workout A

I. Sumo Deadlifts (first because squat rack was occupied)
--A.6 x 225lbs
--B.4 x 205lbs
--C.6 x 205lbs

II. Squats
--A.8 x 165lbs
--B.7 x 175lbs
--C.7 x 175lbs
--D.6 x 185lbs

III. Shrugs
--A.8 x 265lbs
--B.8 x 265lbs
--C.6 x 275lbs
--D.6 x 275lbs

IV. E-Z Bar Curls
--A.8 x 75lbs
--B.6 x 75lbs
--C.5 x 75lbs
--D.4 x 75lbs

Comments: I tried sumo deadlifts for the first time...major leg scrape-age . I was having trouble with the weight and my torso/hips were not working as one, so I stopped after 3 sets. I probably should have just lowered the weight and sucked it up, but it's too late for that now . Then I tried doing squats afterwards, since the rack was free. I put on 190lbs and did one rep and was like..."not happening," lol. Next time I'll just wait for the rack by doing some more cardio warm-up so that I don't tire myself before squats. Shrugs were fine and curls were refreshing as I hadn't done any in 12 months.

I talked to a trainer after my workout about my deadlift form. He said that he always watches my form when I do squats and such and he was watching my DL form (it's a very small gym) and he said that my form for both were fine. My shoulders/back were in line and everything. We got into a 5 minute conversation about working out in general and he said that a lot of physical therapists said that romanian deadlifts are one of the best exercises for posterior work. I'm actually tempted to do these instead of sumo deadlifts, as I remember how sore my glutes/hams used to get when I was doing a conventional/romanian deadlifts workout routine for legs(before I joined gym). Cord, would this suffice for deadlifts? Sumo better? I don't believe that my shoulders will stay in the correct alignment with conventional deadlifts.

He also made sure to tell me about switching up types of exercises and workouts to keep injury free. He said every once in a while (4 months) its good to throw in some unilateral work(correct term?), like 1-legged deadlifts, cable crossovers for shoulders, 1-armed chest press, snatches, clean and press, etc. Anything to keep the body guessing and injury free. He said that the gym is actually getting kettlebells soon - I'll be sure to let you guys know when so maybe you can suggest some exercises involving those. And also, he said that he too used to use a mixed grip for shrugs and deadlifts, but then a physical therapist he knows said that many power/olympic lifters don't use that grip any more because it makes you prone to a bicep injury or imbalance with the hand that is supinated during the grip...is this true? Help me sort the good and bad/inexperienced advice of this guy I talked to . BTW I would love to do romanian deadlifts(shoulders would never droop forward because you don't touch the ground every rep) for deads and 1-armed snatches for shoulders(I can do correct form on snatch, not cleans because there is no rotation of the elbows in the snatch - that's where I had trouble with the exercise...and I'm more comfortable with dumbbells if I were to snatch).

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/11/08 11:20 AM

If you can perform romanian DL's well, and feel comfortable with them, then go for it.

Split grip in deadlift will only cause inbalance if you 'split' the same way all the time. I alternate which hand is 'over' and which 'under' every set, and have never experienced any problem. Same with the bicep tear- as long as you dont use STRAPS, then you will not push your body beyond its limits as a whole.

I dont count cable crossovers as unilateral work for the shoulders- they are still an adduction movement, and as such will primarily rely on the chest.

Unilateral work is good stuff, a nice way of increasing core engagement and coordination, but I dont think that, in its very essence, it makes you less prone to injury- for example, if all you ever did was unilateral work, then you would change up for some bi-lateral work for further adaption.

Snatches are great- uni or bi lateral, but remember that you are training for hypertrophy, so treating them as a shoulder builder may not be the best plan, as they are a full body movement.

How about this?
Squat x4
uni-lateral dumbell snatch x8 (4 sets each side, alternatng set by set)
Shrug x4
Curls x4

This negates the need for any form of deadlift, as the basic power generation in the snatches comes from the same hip drive.

Then you keep the upperbody routine the same (with the pressess) and you have a very powerful dynamic routine, that also encourages shoulder mobility/stability.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/11/08 12:18 PM

Good ideas about incorporating more uni-lateral stuff. I will try to work that in, when my arm gets better.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/11/08 01:29 PM

Thanks for your help, and I think I'm going to move up quickly with this routine .

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/14/08 10:47 PM

07-12-08

Workout B

I. Flat Dumbbell Press
--A.8 x 50's
--B.7 x 55's
--C.6 x 55's
--D.4 x 55's

II. Chin-Ups - Supine
--A.10 x BW
--B.7 x BW
--C.6 x BW
--D.5 x BW

III. Arnold Press(is this okay?)
--A.8 x 30's
--B.8 x 30's
--C.6 x 35's
--D.5 x 35's

IV. Skull Crushers
--A.8 x 65lbs
--B.5 x 70lbs
--C.6 x 70lbs
--D.7 x 65lbs

Comments: Worked out at home - weights are heavier compared to gym's. Good workout, low weight for skull crushers felt like a ton - probably because I hadn't done them in forever and because I did 3 exercises previous to them...but I could care less about the weight for my arm exercises.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/14/08 10:56 PM

07-14-08

Workout A

I. Squats
--A.10 x 175lbs
--B.8 x 190lbs
--C.7 x 205lbs
--D.6 x 215lbs

II. Uni-lateral Dumbbell Snatch
--A.8,7 x 45lbs
--B.8,8 x 45lbs
--C.8,8 x 50lbs
--D.6,6 x 55lbs

III. Shrugs
--A.8 x 275lbs
--B.8 x 275lbs
--C.6 x 275lbs
--D.5 x 275lbs

IV. Barbell Curls
--A.7 x 70lbs
--B.7 x 70lbs
--C.4 x 70lbs

Comments: Did well on squats and snatches. The snatches really gave me a workout and I felt it in my hips, shoulders, and forearms. After a couple sets I realized that it was better to focus on explosive hip force from the bottom of the lift instead of the shrugging of the weight to get it overhead. Shrugs didn't feel too well, I'll most likely drop the weight a bit and work on a perfect ROM and maybe even try them with the trap bar instead of a barbell. I rushed curls because it was past close time at the gym so I didn't want to keep the girl working there waiting if she was ready to leave, plus I was tired as hell anyways. That's why I didn't do the last set and why the reps were low on the 3rd set - I didn't give myself hardly enough rest time between sets. Oh well, still a great workout

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/15/08 06:08 AM

Sounds like your making good progress. I love/hate snatches they make you hurt.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/20/08 06:59 PM

07-17-08

Workout B

I. Flat DB Press
--A.8 x 55's
--B.7 x 60's
--C.6 x 60's
--D.5 x 60's

II. Chin-Ups (pronated)
--A.8 x BW+10lbs
--B.6 x BW+10lbs
--C.5 x BW
--D.5 x BW (supine)

III. Arnold Press
--A.10 x 30's
--B.8 x 35's
--C.7 x 40's
--D.6 x 40's

IV. Skull Crushers
--A.8 x 65lbs
--B.8 x 70lbs
--C.5 x 70lbs
--D.3 x 70lbs

Comments: Good workout. The trainer said that the E-Z curl bar weighed 15lbs, but I'm not sure if he's right. I'll weigh is sometime. Are standing overhead extentions fine instead of skull crushers, because I'd rather use a dumbbell and it's hard to use a heavy dumbbell for skull crushers without hitting your head...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/20/08 07:03 PM

07-19-08

Workout A

I.Squats
--A.9 x 180lbs
--B.8 x 195lbs
--C.7 x 210lbs
--D.4 x 220lbs

II. Dumbbell Snatches
--A.8,8 x 50lbs
--B.8,8 x 55lbs
--C.8,8 x 55lbs
--D.6,6 x 60lbs

III. Shrugs (trap bar)
--A.8 x 255lbs
--B.8 x 255lbs
--C.8 x 255lbs
--D.8 x 255lbs

IV. Seated Dumbbell Curls
--A.9 x 30lbs
--B.7 x 35lbs
--C.7 x 35lbs
--D.5 x 35lbs

Comments: Using a barbell for shrugs next time - didn't feel safe having to deadlift the trap bar for each set. Afraid to get stuck in the hole during squats, so I'm going to ask someone to spot me during last set or two. I like the variation of curls I did today, and I'll do them for now on.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/23/08 04:33 PM

Reminder: for next squat session, do 190, 200, 210, 220 as weight the sets.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/23/08 10:38 PM

07-23-08

Upper Body

I. Flat Barbell Bench Press
--A.8 x 135lbs
--B.6 x 135lbs
--C.5 x 135lbs
--D.7 x 125lbs

II. Weighted Chin-ups (Supine)
--A.7 x 20lbs
--B.4 x 20lbs
--C.6 x BW
--D.2 x BW

III. Arnold Press
--A.9 x 35's
--B.8 x 40's
--C.7 x 40's
--D.5 x 40's

IV. Skull Crushers (E-Z Curl Bar)
--A.8 x 55lbs
--B.8 x 55lbs
--C.7 x 60lbs
--D.6 x 60lbs

Comments: Good workout. Used rack to do bench press. Bench is weak right now, hopefully I'll move up quickly - haven't done barbell press in about a year. I was burned out by the 4th set of chin-ups because I did 2 sets of weighted chin-ups and I was giving myself less time in between sets than usual. Good job on arnold press and skull crushers

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/30/08 09:38 AM

How is the training going? What sort of gains are you seeing?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/31/08 05:58 PM

07-25-08

Lower Body

I. Back Squats
--A.8 x 190lbs
--B.8 x 200lbs
--C.7 x 210lbs
--D.5 x 220lbs

II. Dumbbell Snatches
--A.8,8 x 55lbs
--B.8,8 x 55lbs
--C.7,7 x 60lbs
--D.7,7 x 60lbs

III. Shrugs (smith machine)
--A.8 x 260lbs
--B.8 x 270lbs
--C.7 x 275lbs
--D.8 x 275lbs

IV. Cable Curls
--A.10 x 90lbs
--B.9 x 110lbs
--C.8 x 120lbs
--D.6 x 130lbs

Comments: Great job on everything. I'll get 6th rep on final set of squats next time. Not sure how to calculate the weight on the smith machine(rack was taken), so the weight I posted is as if the machine with no weight on it was 45lbs.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/31/08 06:03 PM

07-29-08

Upper Body

I. Barbell Bench Press
--A.8 x 135lbs
--B.5 x 135lbs
--C.5 x 135lbs
--D.4 x 135lbs

II. Weighted Chin-Ups (supine)
--A.7 x 20lbs
--B.4 x 20lbs
--C.4 x 10lbs
--D.6 x BW

III. Arnold Press
--A.8 x 40's
--B.7 x 45's
--C.5 x 45's
--D.4 x 45's

IV. Skull Crushers
--A.10 x 55lbs
--B.7 x 60lbs
--C.7 x 60lbs
--D.7 x 60lbs

Comments: I always tell myself after a set where I don't hit at least 5 reps to keep the weight and that I'll find it in myself to hit 6 reps next set...which obviously doesn't always happen. It's an optimistic attitude, but next time I find myself not hitting the rep target, I should just lower the weight regardless and then re-raise it if I go above 8 reps on that lower weight.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/31/08 06:09 PM

07-31-08

Lower Body

I. Leg Press (squat rack occupied)
--A.8 x 270lbs
--B.8 x 280lbs
--C.8 x 290lbs
--D.8 x 300lbs

II. Dumbbell Snatches
--A.8,8 x 55lbs
--B.8,8 x 60lbs
--C.7,7 x 65lbs

III. Shrugs supersetted with barbell curls
--A.8 x 260lbs | 10 x 60lbs
--B.8 x 270lbs | 7 x 70lbs
--C.8 x 280lbs | 6 x 70lbs

Comments: Rushed workout and cut sets because I had plans. Didn't have enough time to wait for squat rack, so I just used the leg press. On the shrugs my grip felt much, much stronger and so did my traps. When I get to the last 2 sets of snatches, I really find it in myself to use explosive power in my legs to get that weight up, and I hardly feel it in my upper body. I'll try to get the same explosiveness on my earlier sets.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/31/08 06:13 PM

Quote:

How is the training going? What sort of gains are you seeing?

I'm gaining weight but I'm also staying lean. My chest has gotten a bit bigger and my stomach is more cut. I'm also getting stronger...weighted chin-ups! And my thighs are always growing; every few months I notice that they grew bigger . I think age has a lot to do with it - my body is developing and I'm helping to shape it the way I want by working out.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/07/08 06:59 PM

08-3-08

Upper Body

I. Barbell Bench Press supersetted with Weighted Chin-ups
--A.9 x 125lbs | 7 x 20lbs
--B.7 x 135lbs | 6 x 20lbs
--C.6 x 135lbs | 8 x BW
--D.6 x 135bls | 8 x BW

II. Arnold Press supersetted with Skull Crushers
--A.8 x 36's | 10 x 55lbs
--B.8 x 36's | 7 x 60lbs
--C.5 x 36's | 6 x 60lbs

Comments: Worked out at home

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/07/08 07:02 PM

08-5-08

Lower Body

I. Barbell Squats
--A.8 x 190lbs
--B.8 x 200lbs
--C.7 x 210lbs
--D.4 x 225lbs

II. Dumbbell Snatches
--A.8,8 x 60lbs
--B.7,7 x 60lbs
--C.7,7 x 60lbs
--D.6,6 x 60lbs

III. Shrugs supersetted with Barbell Curls
--A.8 x 265lbs | 7 x 70lbs
--B.8 x 275lbs | 8 x 70lbs
--C.8 x 280lbs | 7 x 70lbs
--D.7 x 285lbs | 6 x 70lbs

Comments: Good workout. Wished I did better on snatches and maybe a little better one squats. Weight will come soon...hopefully

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/23/08 02:04 AM

08-9-08

Upper Body

I. Barbell Bench Press
--A.8 x 125lbs
--B.7 x 135lbs
--C.4 x 145lbs
--D.5 x 135lbs

II. Weighted Chin-ups
--A.8 x 20lbs
--B.4 x 20lbs
--C.6 x BW
--D.4 x BW

III. Arnold Press
--A.9 x 40's
--B.6 x 45's
--C.4 x 45's
--D.6 x 40's

IV. Skull Crushers
--A.8 x 60lbs
--B.8 x 60lbs
--C.6 x 60lbs

Comments: Did especially poor on chin-ups.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/23/08 02:08 AM

08-11-08

Lower Body

I. Front Squats
--A.8 x 155lbs
--B.6 x 165lbs
Back Squats
--C.7 x 200lbs
--D.6 x 200lbs

II. One-Armed Dumbbell Snatch
--A.7,7 x 60lbs
--B.6,6 x 60lbs

III. Barbell Curls
--A.8 x 70lbs
--B.6 x 80lbs
--C.3+2 x 80lbs
--D.6 x 70lbs

Comments: Front squats gave me a headache. Didn't finish snatches because they just made me feel worse.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/23/08 02:12 AM

08-14-08

Upper Body

I. Barbell Bench Press
--A.9 x 130lbs
--B.6 x 135lbs
--C.5 x 135lbs
--D.4 x 135lbs

II. Weighted Chin-ups
--A.7 x 25lbs
--B.6 x 20lbs
--C.6 x 10lbs
--D.6 x BW

III. Arnold Press
--A.8 x 40's
--B.7 x 45's
--C.6 x 45's
--D.6 x 45's

IV. Skull Crushers
--A.8 x 60lbs
--B.5 x 65lbs
--C.6 x 65lbs
--D.6 x 65lbs

Comments: Pretty good workout. Perfect job on weighted chins and arnold press. First 2 sets I tried on an incline because I heard that they give you more stability...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/23/08 02:15 AM

08-16-08

Lower Body

I. Squats
--A.8 x 190lbs
--B.8 x 200lbs
--C.7 x 210lbs
--D.6 x 220lbs

II. One-Armed Dumbbell Snatches
--A.8,8 x 60lbs
--B.7,7 x 60lbs
--C.6,6 x 60lbs
--D.6,6 x 60lbs

II. Barbell Curls
--A.8 x 70lbs
--B.8 x 70lbs
--C.7 x 75lbs
--D.6 x 75lbs

Comments: Gym closed so I finished workout in garage. Didn't feel like setting up shrugs because they take just as long to set up as they do to perform. Good workout.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/23/08 02:19 AM

08-19-08

I. Barbell Bench Press
--A.7 x 135lbs
--B.6 x 135lbs
--C.4 x 135lbs
--D.5 x 135lbs

II. Weighted Chin-ups(Supine)
--A.5 x 25lbs
--B.5 x 20lbs
--C.5 x 15lbs
--D.6 x BW

III. Dumbbell Overhead Press
--A.9 x 40's
--B.7 x 45's
--C.7 x 45's
--D.5 x 45's

IV. Overhead Dumbbell Extensions
--A.7 x 40lbs
--B.7 x 45lbs
--C.7 x 45lbs
--D.7 x 45lbs

Comments: Bad day for chin-ups. Switched up exercises a bit. I don't really like the barbell bench press; it is not as natural as the dumbbell press. May switch next workout.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/23/08 02:23 AM

08-21-08

Lower Body

I. Barbell Squats
--A.8 x 195lbs
--B.8 x 205lbs
--C.4 x 215lbs
--D.4 x 215lbs

II. One-Armed Dumbbell Snatches
--A.7,7 x 60lbs
--B.8,8 x 60lbs
--C.8,8 x 60lbs
--D.6,6 x 65lbs

III. Shrugs supersetted with Barbell Curls
--A.8 x 265lbs | 7 x 70lbs
--B.8 x 275lbs | 7 x 70lbs
--C.7 x 275lbs | 7 x 70lbs

Comments: Great job on snatches. Not bad on shrugs and curls besides the lack of a final superset. Squats started well and ended poorly.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 09/12/08 01:59 AM

Hey guys, just posting an update for now. I'm now away at college, SUNY Cortland, and I've still been working out regularly for the most part. I've changed around some exercises due to plateaus, involving weighted dips instead of bench press, barbell military press rather than DB military press, and the saddest of all, lunges instead of squats. The week before I got here, I started to decline in squats. Before I was at 220x6 and now it's tough for me to do 200lbs.

Idk what it is, but I have the same sleep habits, but my eating has worsened a bit. Actually, I'm hardly snacking like I used to at home, but my main meals aren't as clean. I need to start eating more wraps and eggs and tuna sandwiches . I just switched these exercises the past couple of workouts, but I'm already improving on dips and my lunge technique/poundage looks muuuuuch better than before, with a nice, full ROM and 40lbs each hand for the first workout doing them. I'm not sure why, but when I step with my left foot, my technique couldn't be better, but I really have to focus for my right step to be correct...and I'm a righty lol

Suggestions?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 10/29/08 05:30 PM

As you can see, I haven't been posting my workouts here since I arrived at college. I'm still working out, but not as consistantly as I should; there's no excuse, but I was kind of surprised at my workload when I got here and haven't really found the best way to balance my time yet. I've been swapping exercises around to experiment in the past 2 months; I'll post what exercises I'm using now.

Day 1

I. Barbell Back Squats 4x6-8 (tried lunges for a while, then front squats, then back to back squats. form is very good now)

II. One-Armed Snatches 4x6-8(switched to deadlifts for a bit - scraped up my legs and made me bleed in the gym once so I switched back)

III. Shrugs 4x6-8

IV. Barbell Curls 4x6-8

Day 2

I. Flat Dumbbell Press 4x6-8 (went from barbell bench to weighted dips to these)

II. Cable Rows 4x6-8( tried a bunch of different exercises including weighted pull-ups, DB rows, to plate rows which I couldn't balance. Wondering if cable rows are efficient enough or if I should do something else. I think that weighted pull-ups were hurting my potential in the shoulder exercise.

III. Military Press 4x6-8 (doing pretty well with these...back up to 95lbs)

IV. Overhead Extensions 4x6-8 (skull crushers didn't feel natural so I started using a single dumbbell in the past month - not bad)

SO, all in all I know which exercises I choose to stick with aren't that important, but that I actually pick them and consistantly work on them. Consistancy is key. After my volleyball games tonight(45mins each) I might only do some light cardio at the gym instead of a workout because I have sharp pains in my throat when I swallow. I think light cardio would better direct me towards recovery rather than an intense weightlifting workout.

Maybe I'll start posting my workouts...can't promise anything. I'll update more frequently though. If you want to make some suggestions in favor of cable rows or DB rows or weighted pullups, be my guest.
Posted by: KevinMQ

music therapy and labor 0 - 10/30/08 03:46 AM

downloadsjj cale music online
music recording systems
<a href=http://vvijja.freehostia.com/music6732.html> fenton film music</a>
http://fftroklo.freehostia.com/music5038.html acadamy of music
http://tome-obr.tripod.com/music6339.html music univercity
http://mmnetre.freehostia.com/music5685.html free music clip download

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/06/08 01:35 AM

This is what I've decided to stick with:

Day 1

Barbell Back Squats 4x6-8
One-Armed Dumbbell Snatches 4x6-8
Shrugs 4x6-8
Alternating Dumbbell Curls 4x6-8

Day 2

Flat Dumbbell Bench Press 4x6-8
Chin-ups 4x6-8
Military Press 4x6-8
Laying One-Armed Dumbbell Extensions 4x6-8

The past 3-4 workouts I've left my notebook at my dorm room because I think rest more when I use it. Don't ask why, I think I just hold it for extra time and don't focus on keeping up the intensity when I have it. I might start using it again though to make sure to improve every workout. I'll just have to be extra keen on my intensity.

On intensity, I wonder about it during my workouts. I have actually been finishing my workouts quicker, but I still don't feel like my intensity is where it should be. For example, when doing snatches I'll usually rest between each arm for a minute or two because it takes me so out of breath. I don't think I rest more for any other exercise. And another thing, with squats, I think I might go a rep or two less than I need to for absolute failure because I'm worried of getting stuck in the bottom position. And I also take a breath between each rep because I'd be doing much less reps...am I supposed to go right from the top position to the bottom, in one fluid motion? Either way, I guess I gotta start asking for a spot from random people...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/06/08 05:47 AM

Go all the way down and all the way up for the full benefit of squats. Push your knees out as you go down, think about pulling your toes off the floor so the weight stays centerd on your heals and your not leg pressing the weight up.

When you get to a point below parallel you will feel a sort of bounce in your groin area and a faint one in your hamstrings, this is when you start going back up. Remember to drive your hips up, not out or forwards but up.

Imagine someone has a hook attached to the waistband of your butt area and is pulling it directly up. If your hips go straight up everything else falls into place.

Also make sure to look at a spot 6-8ft infront of you to keep your spine in alignment. And not up at the ceiling which has to be one of the worst practices ever. Hold your breath for the whole set aswell if you can as this will help keep your core string and tight(its more technical than that but I can't rememkber why) Only do it if you can though you don't want to pass out under the bar.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/06/08 07:33 AM

To clarify a spot 6-8ft on the floor infront of you. And the breathing technique is called the valsalva technique. Do squats in a power cage, you cannot effectivley spot a squat its too dangerous. Set the bar low enough in the rack so that if you cant get back up you can just drop the bar and it rests on the safety bar and doesn't roll all down your back to the floor and crush you .

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/08/08 06:45 PM

Thanks for your response, Aesir, but what I was asking is if I should stop at the top and take a breath between each rep or keep in motion and go directly back down once I get up.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/09/08 09:31 AM

Quote:

Hold your breath for the whole set aswell if you can as this will help keep your core string and tight(its more technical than that but I can't rememkber why) Only do it if you can though you don't want to pass out under the bar.

Quote:

And the breathing technique is called the valsalva technique.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 11/09/08 08:35 PM

I don't think it's ever good to hold your breath during weightlifting; only if you're a professional lifter...

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/05/08 10:11 PM

Just an update on what I'm doing:

Day1:

Flat dumbbell press (55's and 60's)
Chin-ups or seated rows (110lbs)
Barbell military press (95lbs)
Seated dumbbell curls (32.5's and 35's)

Day2:

Barbell squats (185-195lbs)
Romanian Deadlifts (185lbs)
Shrugs (245+)
Cable pushdowns with rope (80-90lbs)

I've been pretty consistant lately, and feel better about my exercising. In the parenthesis are my most recent lifts for 6-8reps. They'll be higher soon.
Posted by: Ilove2Hit

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/08/08 03:29 PM

2 days. u just do these 2 days each week? in what distances? monday friday?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/09/08 12:12 PM

Quote:

2 days. u just do these 2 days each week? in what distances? monday friday?

No I do 1 day on, 1 off, 1 on, 2 off...so basically 3-4.

I should have posted that...
Posted by: Ilove2Hit

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/09/08 05:17 PM

i see, nice program. thx for the information

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/27/08 07:08 PM

I joined another gym at home, since I'm now commuting to college and needed to sign up for the year. I joined Powerhouse gym for $360 for the year - this was the cheapest I could find and it has all new equipment.

My weekly routine consists of the following:

-4 sets of each exercise

Day1:

Superset of DB benchpress and pullups 6-8reps
Superset of military press and cable rope pushdowns

Day2:

Superset of Squats and romanian deadlifts
Superset of shrugs and curls

Cycle:

DayA
Running(20-30mins)
DayB
Running
Rest

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/07/09 02:21 AM

Hey guys, it's been a while! I'm practically using the same routine:

Day 1:
-Dumbbell Bench Press (60's)
-Seated Cable Rows (150lbs)
-Dumbbell Military Press (45's)
-Cable Pushdowns (120lbs)

Day 2:
-Back Squats (215lbs)
-Romanian Deadlifts (195lbs)
-Shrugs (230lbs + machine weight?)
-Alternating Dumbbell Curls (40's)

Note: All exercises 4 sets of 6-8. Numbers in parenthesis is the weight I use in either the last or 3rd set (as I sometimes bring the weight back down to reach target reps).

With that being said, I have been vastly gaining strength in the past month. I had seen hardly any progress in the past few months before this (probably due to inconsistancy and a poor diet/sleep schedule), and now I've been increasing in either weight or reps EVERY lifting session. However, I would like opinions on a new routine for when I plateau, as I have been using slight variations of the same routine for about a year now.

P.S. Age:19 Height:6'2" Bodyweight:163lbs

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/20/09 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: THEGENERAL
Hey guys, it's been a while! I'm practically using the same routine

However, I would like opinions on a new routine for when I plateau, as I have been using slight variations of the same routine for about a year now.

Bump. Would this be a good routine, or is it too similar to my last one?

Day 1: Push
-Squats
-Bench Press
-Military Press
-Tricep Extensions

Day 2: Pull
-One Armed Dumbbell Snatches
-Rows
-Shrugs
-Curls

Suggestions? Opinions? LOOK AT PREVIOUS POST PLEASE =P

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/27/09 01:39 AM

suggestions??

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/27/09 05:03 AM

Bump. Would this be a good routine, or is it too similar to my last one?

Day 1: Push
-Squats
-Bench Press
-Military Press
-Tricep Extensions

Day 2: Pull
-One Armed Dumbbell Snatches
-Rows
-Shrugs
-Curls

Suggestions? Opinions? LOOK AT PREVIOUS POST PLEASE =P

There is nothing wrong with the above, but you could try grouping things differently for a change.

Rather than have a 'push day' and a 'pull day' , as you have for so long, you could mix function each workout, meaning that exercises you have come to with agonists already fatigued, now get a chance to have a full tank of gas. Also, lets have a 3rd day, where you work elements you are currently missing, whilst also hitting the arms in a functional way.

Day 1.
Squat
Bench
Shrug

Day 2.
Snatch
Military Press
Rows

Day 3.
High Cable woodchoppers
Alternate side dumbell deadlift
Close Grip Bench
Close, underhand grip pull ups (weighted if necessary)

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/27/09 03:00 PM

hmm...I really like this, but what exactly are alternate side dumbbell deadlifts? And how do you suggest I break up the week - Mon, Wed, Fri?

Is this the deadlift you are talking about? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/DBOneArmStraightLegDeadlift.html

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/27/09 04:04 PM

hmm...I really like this, but what exactly are alternate side dumbbell deadlifts? And how do you suggest I break up the week - Mon, Wed, Fri?

Is this the deadlift you are talking about? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/DBOneArmStraightLegDeadlift.html

Mon , wed, Fri would be spot on. As for that eg. of the deadlift, no way!!

These are the babies : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE41ZCdb-mI&feature=related

You dont have to swap arms each rep, you can do 8 per side, with a 20 second 'mini rest' within each set. Every week, switch which side you lead with, ie: Week 1 - Left x 8, then R x 8. Week 2 - Right x8 , then L x 8

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/28/09 12:58 AM

I gotcha, sounds great! Thanks for everything, Cord

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/28/09 03:40 AM

You meant high-to-low woodchoppers I'm guessing? For obliques, right? And is this all in the correct order, because I would think that rows would be done before military press...unless you don't want me to be drained from rows before doing military press, whereas the military press wouldn't affect my performance on rows too much.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/28/09 07:02 AM

You meant high-to-low woodchoppers I'm guessing? For obliques, right?

Yes and no. Yes the woodchoppers are high to low, no, they are not for the obliques- they involve the whole body, you are getting work through your entire core, your whole back, your hips, the works. Thinking of muscles in isolation makes you body weak. To paraphrase the bard 'no muscle is an island'. Learning and understanding how the anatomy works together, and maximising that concept in your training is how you get strong.

Quote:
And is this all in the correct order, because I would think that rows would be done before military press...unless you don't want me to be drained from rows before doing military press, whereas the military press wouldn't affect my performance on rows too much.

Why would overhead press fatigue your performance in a seated row? Biomechanicaly different actions, so it shouldnt make any difference.
The reason it is in the order listed, is because the dumbell snatch fatigues your grip, and your back muscles, whilst it merely mobilises your shoulders. This means that you go into the military press with activated, but primed delts, and by the end of those, your back and grip have recovered enough to do justice to the rows.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/29/09 01:04 AM

Thanks for clearing everything up. BTW, I asked if the reason military press was before rows was because you wouldn't want me to be fatigued for military press if I did rows beforehand. Don't worry though, I now see your exact reasoning.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/29/09 06:12 AM

No worries smile Give it a couple of weeks, and let me know how its going, we can tweak stuff as you go if needs be.
Good luck smile

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/31/09 12:36 AM

Thanks again, by the way, for the dumbbell deadlifts, should I raise the dumbbell off the ground a bit or just lift from the floor? I obviously don't have the special handle in the video haha

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 07/31/09 10:01 AM

If your hips and calves allow you to keep good technique from ground, then go from ground. If not, use a platform of 8-12 inches in height. Its not really designed to have value as a deadlift per se, the idea is that your core has to engage to keep the body central while dealing with a unilateral load. If you find your torso 'leaning' or your shoulder coming forward/torso rotating at any point in the rep, then you are going too heavy.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/10/09 07:36 PM

The new routine has been going very well. Today, although sick with a bad cold, I had a great workout. On squats, I guess so that I didn't exhaust myself(?), I came out of the bottom position just as slowly as I went into it. It was almost as if I was lifting nothing; like all I had to do was engage on the transition and then let my CNS do the rest of the work. It was the smoothest lift ever - no grunting or any signs of struggle, which couldn't be said about last week's session when I was lifting the same weight.

EDIT: My friend (powerlifter) thinks that the weight was too heavy for me if I was coming out of the bottom slowly...is that correct?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/12/09 08:37 AM

Whilst your movement 'in the basement' may be slow, that is only because you are fighting the resistance. The muscles are still firing fast. If you were using a lighter weight, and purposefully lifting slow to fatigue the muscles (a bodybuilding technique), then, from a Power lifting perspective, you would be doing it wrong.

If thr weight 'felt like nothing' however, you do have to ask yourself why that first stage or ascent in the rep was such a grind?

Every positive movement in a rep should be just that - positive. Strong, controlled and full. If the rep happens in 2 stages (small move to sticking point, grind through that, then finish strong), there is a case for lightening the load to create a single strong movement.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/04/09 02:47 AM

I want to start incorporating deadlifts into my workout. I also like front squats because it stresses form, even on a heavier set.

Currently, the only improvements I'm making is with the shoulder press, everything else has pretty much come to a standstill. This isn't my most favorite routine, but my lack of strength/mass results is definitely due in part to an infrequent diet. Should I keep the routine and just up the food intake? I kind of want to start another with a clean slate and take better care of my diet - for morale.

Sick of snatches, ready for something new/exciting

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/04/09 09:16 AM

On the 7th July, you wrote:
Quote:
I had seen hardly any progress in the past few months before this (probably due to inconsistancy and a poor diet/sleep schedule)

May I ask, why is rest and eating properly so problematic for you? Is it work? is it psychological? or other?

Remember, no matter what your workout, its only 1 of 24 hours in each day, and the other 23 hours count MASSIVELY towards your goal.

Back to the workout, if you are bored, then it is time to change, no question you have to be motivated and inspired to give it your best.

Where do you stand regarding MA training, number of days you can lift, and primary goal these days?

Recap, and a fresh start is yours smile

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/05/09 02:27 AM

I don't do any MA, my goal is just strength/hypertrophy. School, work and hanging out with friends doesn't leave me much time at home, which attributes to a not-so-great diet. My sleeping patterns aren't too bad anymore. In my opinion, it's my diet (not eating frequently enough + a little too much junk food). Trying to consciously change that, mostly by preparing meals ahead of time.

I can pretty much train anyday of the week.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/05/09 05:57 AM

Fair enough smile

How about a bit of pre-exhaustion supersetting for a change of pace?

3 day split.

Monday: Chest/Back

Incline Dumbell Flyes (12) to Press (4-6) x 4
Flat Bench or weighted Dips 4x6-8
Rear Delt flyes (12) to Barbell Rows (4-6)x4
Seated Row or Wide Chins 4x6-8

Wednesday: Legs and core
Leg extension (12) to Deadlift (6-8)x3
Leg Curl(12)to front squat (6-8) x3
Leg Press 4x8-10
Plank (30-60s) to Weighted hypers (8-10)x4

Friday: Shoulders and Arms
Lateral Raise (12) to Dumbell Press (4-6)x4
Upright Rows or shrugs 4x6-8
Barbell or Concentration Curls 5x8-10
Pushdowns or Kickbacks 5x8-10

Let me know what you think.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/05/09 12:49 PM

I like it a lot, however, I might have some problems in the gym if I'm using two sets of equipment at one time, especially the squat rack. I'll just have to go earlier so that the gym is empty and no one will mind.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 12/05/09 06:14 PM

It depends on what sort of gym it is - if its mainstream, then yeah, many will just go and try and claim your space, but if its a b-building gym, then most all in there will know the deal re. supersets, and should cut you slack as you will inevitably do for them when they use the technique.

See how you get on, but if its not viable, then we can work around it for the legs, upper body shouldnt be a prob, as you can usually secure 2 sets of 'bells at a time.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 04/25/10 03:25 AM

Update: Things have been going pretty well lately. I'm still increasing in weight on the majority of the exercises, little by little. I switched things around a bit; instead of flat bench, I'm doing weighted dips; instead of barbell rows, I'm doing single-armed dumbbell rows; and instead of front squats I'm doing back squats.

Haven't been on this forum in quite some time...seems pretty dead.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/21/10 02:11 PM

Still adding a little weight to the bar. Should I keep the routine 'til I'm no longer adding weight or change it up after almost 6 months?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/21/10 04:38 PM

Change is always good. That said, injury and boredom are the two biggest factors in routine changes for me.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 05/28/10 11:33 PM

Yeah I think now would be a great time to start something new. It's the start of the summer and it would make me 10x more enthusiastic about hitting the gym hard this summer.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/04/10 02:11 AM

How would this be for a routine:

Day 1:
-Deadlifts
-Bench
-Shrugs
-Curls

Day 2:
-Squats
-Rows
-Shoulder press
-Pushdowns

Day 3: Full Body
-????

Help?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/04/10 11:02 PM

Maybe throw in a set of Tabata protocol? I used to do routines on the heavy bag, and occasionally did them with weights, too. Or maybe some plyometric jumps and pushups? Toss a heavy bag or medicine ball? Your routine looks pretty good to me, just spitballin' here.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/05/10 02:20 AM

Yeah I'm just looking to mix it up, I'm open for all suggestions. I'm kind of tired of superset; at least before the big exercises.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/06/10 11:48 AM

Any suggestions for a new routine, Cord? wink

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/08/10 10:00 AM

Any suggestions for a new routine, Cord? wink

I can do that, but what I would suggest is, after 3 years of consistent logging and discussion of your training with myself and others, that you have a go at devising your own workout, based on what you have learned not only about exercise, but also about what has worked for you over this time.

You have the knowledge and the experience, so now you need to find the confidence, and also the ability to put it all into practice.

Post what you come up with, and I will happily have a look at it for you smile

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/08/10 05:43 PM

Workout 1:
Day 1:
-Back Squats
-Dumbbell Rows OR Weighted pull-ups
-Chest Flyes
-Rope Pushdowns

Day 2:
-Deadlifts
-Flat Dumbbell Press
-Face Pulls
-Hammer Curls

Day 3:
-Snatches
-Leg Press
-Standing Shoulder Press
-Shrugs

Workout 2: Full Body
Day 1:
-Deadlifts
-DB Rows
-DB Flat Bench
-Standing Shoulder Press/Shrug superset
-Hammer Curls/Rope Pushdown superset

Day 2:
-Squats
-Weighted Pull-ups
-Weighted Dips
-Front/side raise superset
-Close-grip Bench/Barbell Curls superset

Day 3:
Curcuit of the following:
-Pull-ups
-Push-ups
-Snatches
-Sit-ups
-Cable Woodchoppers
(first set in this order, next starting w/ push-ups and ending w/ pull-ups, etc. until complete cycle)

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/09/10 04:45 AM

Looks pretty good buddy cool

Couple of things to watch for in week 2.

Supersetting shoulder press with shrugs can be problematic, as fatigued traps can compromise shoulder alignment and joint stability in the press.

Having already done weighted dips, close grip bench on the same day might be overkill, and see your performance limited. I would suggest skull crushers as an alternative.

The circuit is fine, but as an alternative to pull ups/push ups as the tried and tested, why not consider renegade rows with push ups incorporated into the set? Very challenging, more core engagement, and completely different to anything already visited in previous workouts, so keeps with the ethos of the cycle.

Just suggestions, there is nothing wrong with it as it is smile

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/09/10 06:37 PM

Okay great, I'll take those things into consideration. And you think it's fine to alternate the weeks like that?

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/10/10 12:51 AM

Its not ideal, but if its what keeps you motivated, then it will work better than a more traditional adaptive strategy that you dont commit to with as much enthusiasm.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/10/10 02:00 AM

It was actually meant to be two separate suggestions but then when you referred to workout 2 as "week 2" I thought, "hmm...that's actually pretty cool." But if doing one or the other would be more beneficial, I'm okay with choosing one.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 06/10/10 02:45 AM

In that case maybe do 6 week cycles of each workout.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/19/10 05:00 AM

Update: Finishing up the 2nd routine (did full body first, other second); I have about 2 weeks left. They were both great - I found the full body routine to be good all around and the other to allow me to gain strength a little faster considering the lower volume. I'm thinking about doing a 4-day routine once I'm done with my current one. I would like to get a little more volume in to focus on gaining muscle mass for this next routine and then maybe switch back to a lower volume routine for strength.

Here's an outline of it:

1. Front squats/smaller leg exercise(s)

2. Back/shoulders

3. Deadlifts/smaller leg exercise(s)

4. Chest/arms

When I say "smaller leg exercises," I mean exercises that wouldn't require much weight (i.e. overhead squats) or isolation exercises.

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/29/10 01:46 AM

I want to focus on legs/muscle mass. How's this for a workout, guys:

Monday:
-Deadlifts (deciding on Romanian/regular)
-Step-ups w/ Dumbbells
-Overhead Squats
-Calve Raises

Tuesday:
-Dumbbell Rows
-Standing Barbell Press
-Pull-ups
-Seated Arnold Press

Thursday:
-Front Squats
-Leg Press
-Leg Extensions
-Leg Curls

Friday:
-Incline Barbell Press
-Weighted Dips
-Barbell Curls
-Tricep Pushbacks

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/29/10 10:14 AM

I see where you are going with this, but I am not sure that you are going to give yourself enough recovery time for your legs. Overtrained legs dont improve. If you are dead set on a 2 leg workout week, you need to reign in the volume

As an alternative, I would suggest this.

Monday: Back and legs(1)
Full deads
Dumbell Rows
Chins
Stiff leg/Romanian Deads

Tues: Chest and Tri's
Incline Barbell press
Weighted Dips
Close Grip Bench
EZ Skullcrushers

Thurs: Legs (2)
Front or back squat
Overhead squat or box steps.
Calve raise.

Friday: Shoulders and Bi's
Standing barbell press
Lateral raise
Dumbell Shrugs
Standing dumbell or barbell curls

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/29/10 08:13 PM

Looks good to me, thank you sir

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/30/10 04:47 AM

you're welcome, and please call me dave or cord, I feel old enough without being called 'sir' grin

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/30/10 11:29 PM

Haha will do, I say sir to everyone though...its not out of politeness (although I'm not trying to be an ass), its kind of a friendly thing...it doesn't translate well in text

Re: THEGENERAL'S New Training Log - 08/31/10 02:03 AM

I was brought up to use it formally, and still do, yet never got to grips with someone using it to me - just never felt grown up enough to warrant it wink