Psyching yourself up for a better set

Posted by: THEGENERAL

Psyching yourself up for a better set - 07/09/07 09:47 PM

This afternoon I watched some clips of Ronnie Coleman working out (800lb deadlift, 800 lb squat, 2300lb leg press, etc) and obviously when you watch those clips you can't miss how he screams and tells himself "LIGHTWEIGHT" before a big set (it's actually pretty funny-type in "Ronnie Coleman 800lb deadlift spoof" on youtube).

So tonight when I did my workout session during benching I tried this and pictured myself lifting the weights up very easily and explosively and it worked VERY well. Thanks Ronnie and remember to never underestimate the mind. TRY IT!
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Psyching yourself up for a better set - 07/09/07 09:52 PM

Thats pretty cool.
Another tip just for better weightlifting is listen to music.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Psyching yourself up for a better set - 07/10/07 01:45 AM

The mind is a strong tool for sure. Some other things I've found is counting backwards to ensure I get the full reps I'm striving for. Or when I'm down to my last one and it is difficult, if you concentrate on your strong side only the weak side will always follow. Or if you want to find out your actual maximum that you can lift for one rep, lift a greater weight first that you know you can't, wait a minute and then attempt the larger weight you can. Your body will perceive it being a lighter weight thus making it easier.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Psyching yourself up for a better set - 07/10/07 05:31 PM

Another trick I've used is to pick out someone in the gym - it can be anyone, but hot girls or blokes I don't like work well for me - and lift *for them*. ie., do your reps as if they are watching and judging you. Does wonders for range of motion and intensity.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Psyching yourself up for a better set - 07/10/07 10:07 PM

hott girls i can relate to thinking about them. not so good with the guys