muscles used

Posted by: peter123

muscles used - 05/02/07 11:07 PM

hey i know its not the greatest exercise but does anyone know the muscles used on a pec dec using the vertical and horizontal hand grips? besides the chest, thanks alot
Posted by: Cord

Re: muscles used - 05/03/07 09:50 AM

Pec dec works the pecs (obviously) and anterior deltoids on the positive portion of the movement, with biceps/triceps stabilising the elbow joint and maintaining the fixed position of the arms. You get some ancilliary engagement of traps and rhomboids during the negative phase, and the rotator cuffs are engaged throughout the motion.

I would sooner poke forks in my eyes than waste my time with this exercise, but thats not what you asked.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: muscles used - 05/03/07 11:32 AM

I have one myself collecting dust in the corner. I didn't so much mind it in the beginning but when I tore my rotator cuff and also my bicep this was very painful using. Not only that because it is a machine, even though I have to put weight plates on mine, I had to put quite a bit of weight on it to make it useful. Unfortunately the most I could fit on mine was 450 lbs which makes you puff your chest thinking you can move all of that weight but in actually fact I am no where near this amount in an actual bench press, though one can dream because that is all it would be.

I agree with Cord, there are much better exercises that can be done but in the gym this is used quite a bit by people. Just like mine would appear you can move a lot of weight, I love being told by so many people how much they can bench when they aren't even benching but using the Pec-Deck.
Posted by: peter123

Re: muscles used - 05/03/07 08:38 PM

yeh i agree with you guys its not a good exercise anyway thanks for your advice