Is this how abs are supposed to come in?

Posted by: Leonine

Is this how abs are supposed to come in? - 01/22/07 06:06 PM

Well I finally got some abs showing through (fairly predominently when I flex) however, it's only the top part that shows through (it looks like I'll have an 8 pack). I have a layer of fat, spare tire if you will, that just seems to be clinging to my gut (and my pecs, but a different story) and I'm just wondering if this is how abs usually show through, or maybe if I've done something wrong like not working my bottom abs enough? I also eat and work-out to get my body fat lower too.

Thanks (yes I just want it to be pretty, I admit it)
Posted by: Cord

Re: Is this how abs are supposed to come in? - 01/22/07 07:02 PM

The fact that you are gaining some definition is a good sign that you are on track. unfortunately, there is no way to target fat loss from specific areas (ie. 1000's of sit ups do not guarantee fat loss from your stomach). you just have to take what improvements you see positively, and apply patience as your bodyfat levels continue to drop, eventualy having a positive effect on your lower abs and pec areas (geneticaly, areas that men are prone to storing fat in, and also the most stubborn to shift it from).
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Is this how abs are supposed to come in? - 01/23/07 06:39 AM

By the way, sit ups only burn very little fat, cardio is what burns fat.
The only way sit ups will help fat loss is tat the muscle absorbs the fat for maintenence and development, so if you want better abs, get running, skipping, etc.

dcm
Posted by: Cord

Re: Is this how abs are supposed to come in? - 01/23/07 08:18 AM

Quote:

The only way sit ups will help fat loss is tat the muscle absorbs the fat for maintenence and development

No it doesn't. Look, fat is stored energy. All physical activity from breathing to base jumping requires energy. If the body requires more energy in a day than it recieves from food, it will utilise fat stores to bridge the gap. The problem comes in where the body also actually likes to store bodyfat as a survival tool in times of famine, hence extreme diets make the body reluctant to use fat as energy because it gets nervous about the possibility of running out of energy and resultant death that would occur from starvation.
The body does not care what it looks like, it cares about staying alive. dont make your physiology panick and all will be well.
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Is this how abs are supposed to come in? - 01/23/07 08:34 AM

Thankyou for your correction, oh wise sage...

dcm