Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 08:12 AM

Interesting to see...

This one is from early 1900's:
http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Moss/Free/freeintro.htm
(there is a clickable index into the book at the bottom of first page)
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 08:17 AM

Some of those old-style excercises are scary!
Posted by: crablord

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 09:22 AM

"it has brought my strength, health and development to absolute perfection" - He looks like a big tub of lard to me
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 09:29 AM

OMGWTF! Are you talking about the picture on the bottom of that page? That guy is HUGE! And we're talking WAY before steroids. He would crush you like a grape!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 09:30 AM

Quote:

He looks like a big tub of lard to me

This from the guy who cant see his abs

Early lifts involved a huge amount of core engagement, so if you look at the picture you will see that he has a very thick, but very defined torso. He also displays trap development out of proportion with delts- again, this is more due to the amount of lifting from the ground that early movements emphasised.
The modern day My Olympia trophy is called 'the sandow' and is a sculpted representation of the man himself.

Old school can teach you a lot of 'new tricks'

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 10:13 AM

look at the bum! hes got abs like a mile wide and these tiny pecks... no shoulders.. bad back by the looks..retarded thighs.. he may be strong, but I wouldn't like to look like that. Ill stick with my 2 pack (you can see the top 2 )
Quote:

This from the guy who cant see his abs

can YOU see your abs? thats what I thought, bignose

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 10:22 AM

As it happens, yes. Not in a 'Mens health' ultra ripped way, but they are there for all to see. give me another 3 weeks or so to undo the damage done at christmas and they will be even better.
Crab,say what you like, but we have seen you sparring in a t-vest, and you would clearly chew your thumb off to look like the guy you are criticising.

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 10:30 AM

Im serious, id rather stay a skinny little harmless 15 year old than turn into some out of proportion doofus with the worst haircut ive ever seen. give me 6 months man, and ill make this dude look like tinkleberry

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 11:58 AM

I will put cold hard cash on the fact that in 6 months you wont be even close to the level of development of that guy, no matter what proportions you strive for, but if the attempt gives you focus to get your butt in gear then go for it

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 06:15 PM

Was joking, lol

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 07:15 PM

i know mate Train hard you little toe rag, I have no doubt you will do great when you decide to apply yourself
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/20/07 11:29 PM

Only thing Crabby can appl himself to is chatting online and watching tv ha ha.
Posted by: speedschool93

Re: Vintage weight lifting/fitness resources - 01/24/07 08:19 PM

Check out the picture on pg 39. Even in b/w you can see his huge vein on the right bicep. This guy has tons of functional strength. If you want to read some cool old muscle books then get some Earle Liederman stuff and enjoy.