MA specific conditioning drills

Posted by: Cord

MA specific conditioning drills - 11/22/06 05:39 PM

Here follows a link to an article by a guy who is on the same page as me in regards to fight conditioning and dynamic strength training.
Anyone who really thinks that 1000 push ups and sit ups a day make you literally 'fighting fit', read on and think again.
All credit to T-nation for the link, copy and paste and get inspired people.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=77EAA8B28B7C4B419FD4B8090D95ACFF.hydra?id=1343138
Posted by: MattJ

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 11/22/06 06:18 PM

Excellent article! Great find, Cord.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 11/23/06 01:42 AM

This is the kind of functional training I am trying to preach at my gym that I train at. The old school guys don't want to hear it but when they see my tone and definition not to mention my edurance it speaks for it self.

When people ask me how do I work out, my answer is I train for body effiency so my body can withstand high stress levels weather its my grappling or my kickboxing/karate and boxing. Functional training is the way to go and this article is great for opening eyes to this form of training.

Brandon
Posted by: Dereck

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 11/23/06 09:28 AM

If you think it is good information then it is good enough for me. I will certainly give it a good read later and give you my thoughts.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 11/23/06 12:15 PM

I enjoyed the article Cord, I wouldn't agree with everything, but there was a lot of very good info in there. I particularly liked the advice on sprinting and the sled stuff. However, I'm sure that HIT is just as effective as calisthenics in circuits for high intesity endurance. It certainly seems like a great way of doing things if you like the great outdoors, however I certainly don't have enough space for a nice big tyre in my back garden. Still I see where the chaps coming from: the irregular shapes require a far more "total body" apoproach to lifting.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 12/02/06 09:14 PM

Especially form the stabilizer muscles. Those objects are awkward and unbalanced. I was a granite worker for a few works and had to move some crazy big pieces and it was tough. Very hard.
Posted by: vgnpwr801

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 03/15/07 04:41 PM

If you were to find a gym in a city that trains like this, what exactly would you type in in google? Core builing?
Posted by: Cord

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 03/16/07 03:55 AM

Quote:

If you were to find a gym in a city that trains like this, what exactly would you type in in google? Core builing?

A search for 'Core gym' would probably lead to the website in my link, as that is what the gym is called. For gyms in your area, you should look for 'functional strength training' or any gym that supports or offers 'crossfit' training. They are still few and far between sadly. Far more people doing this sort of stuff in garages and on parkland, than in gym facilites.
Posted by: vgnpwr801

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 03/16/07 11:42 AM

I found a gym called Gym Jones. www.gymjones.com

Its actually the gym that trained the men in 300 the movie.

Look at the website and their philosophy, its amazing. But, you can only join if your invited, or if they accept you and your goals.
Posted by: Sveninja

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 05/06/07 09:49 AM

I like the sledgehammer thing, I can see how that can get tough real fast. And I agree, jogging accomplishes very little, unles you have some great need to run away. I'm more concerned with quick bursts of speed to close the gap faster. Now I SO wish I had a huge tire to train with. ANy suggestions on alternatives?
Posted by: muaythaiguy

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 07/16/07 11:46 PM

I always just use whatever I can when training like this. I made myself a 100 lb. sandbag a while back and it is a priceless training tool of mine. No matter how many times I train with it, it's still hard to try to control a constantly shifting mass. Just try to keep it moving for at least 3 minutes at a time.
Posted by: FitnessFreak

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 07/20/07 07:05 AM

Definitely going to use the barbell complexes at some point - maybe work it in every 2nd week or something.

Several exercises in a row without ever putting the bar down ... usually consists of six to ten exercises ... each exercise is usually done for six reps, explosively, with no rest between exercises.

What would be the best 6 to choose from for overall development?
I'm thinking (in no particular order):

Rear Delt Row - Compound
(Shoulders, Biceps, Lats)

Clean And Press - Compound
(Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps, Lower Back, Traps, Hamstrings, Calves, Abdominals, Shoulders, Glutes)

Barbell Full Squat - Compound
(Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Calves, Glutes)

Upright Barbell Row - Compound
(Traps, Biceps, Shoulders)

Drag Curl - Isolation
(Biceps, Forearms)
or
Reverse BB Curl
(Biceps, Forearms)

end with:

Front Raise And Pullover - Compound
(Chest, Triceps, Shoulders)

Posted by: Mandolynn

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 09/06/07 02:36 AM

Great article. I feel in better shape already:)

Those sled drill look especially great.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 09/06/07 03:10 PM

After reading this article again (Today). It got me thinking on doing the tire flip. But my question is where would I find those BIG ARSE tires?

I did find this website: http://www.tiretown.com/rearfarm.htm

But what size tire is good? And they ship which is cool because I can't see fitting one of those tires in my expedition. lol
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 09/06/07 03:22 PM

Great question. I was thinking the same thing. If you live in the city, where would you get one? The junkyard, maybe? And how would you get it home or where you train? My apartment's too small I think.

We used to do a modified version of this on the mat flipping the heaviest bag we have end over end. I'm pretty much stuck on the tire thing too though.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 09/06/07 03:42 PM

I think these kinds of exercises are based in availability and money conservation. If you live near or on a farm where they have an old tire you can use, use it. But any similarly awkward sized, heavy thing will work. I'm big on trying not to spend for something you can have for free. Use a heavy bag as I mentioned, tie 2 together to make it heavier, etc. Use what you have. I like the exercise but I'm not going to spend that kind of cash on tractor tire that's not even going on a tractor. ( if you get my point )

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 10/04/07 04:32 PM

I just filled a backpack with about 75-80 lbs. and have been doing squats and shoulding (floor to should lifting) with it and I'll tell ya, thats the heaviest 70 lbs. I ever moved. For wrestling I'll use a backpack with 15-20 lbs. or hold a couple 35's and practice my shots. Good stuff. Very hard.

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 10/04/07 05:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_gUaW5z864&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKTMoEsyViM&mode=related&search=

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 05/29/08 06:02 PM

I great exercise is filling up a wheelbarrow with a bunch of bricks or cinder blocks and pushing it uphill on a back road or if you want to be savage then fill it up with a coupleh undred pounds and have maybe 3 or 4 people attach some ropes to it, one guy on the handles and push it crosscountry up a good sized foothill. Did that a couple years a go and it was punishing but also the best exercise I'd gotten in awhile.
Posted by: Shorinjiryumike

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 09/08/08 04:02 PM

Gym Jones is a CrossFit breakaway!
Posted by: Antalerico

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 07/02/15 02:16 PM

great article but like Sveninja, quick burst explosive speed movements are key, any suggestions?
Posted by: ThomasParker34

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 04/17/18 12:56 PM

That was a good article. But I think consistency is the most important thing in being fighting fit. You have to keep at it regardless of what you are doing. Some training programs if done consistently will be better than anything than people do only half heatedly. Not enough people stick with it as much as they should.
Posted by: kickbutt

Re: MA specific conditioning drills - 09/21/18 10:14 PM

Fast twitch muscle development + practical cardio is my advice based on 13 years of training and competing.

Plyometrics like box jumps, burpees and other high intensity drills.

Standard cardio (jogging, skipping, swimming) but more importantly practical cardio - like shadow boxing and bag/pad work. Sometimes, I can be at the top of my game in running but gas out in the ring.

That's my advice. Good thread - because all the technique in the world may let you down if you can't win the fight in the first few moves and gas out.