VashBlog - Krotty, Iron, & Stuff

Posted by: Stampede

VashBlog - Krotty, Iron, & Stuff - 11/20/06 10:47 PM

This is actually a continuation of my Front Squat PR thread, in that it's me training, I am going to get to the Sabaki Challenge in '07, and that I still front squat in place of the back squat.

Oh yeah, got my Ni Dan this past October. Tested under one of the 10th Dans in my system (Isshinryu Karate). 'twas an awesome experience.

Currently, Max Lifts:

Front Squat: 155x5, 190x1
Overhead Dumbbell Press: 50sx5
Neutral-Grip Pullups: 5x7 @ BW, 1x3 @ 90lbs Additional

I do several other lifts than the above mentioned, but I use these as the foundation tests, and they also comprise my "go-to" selections of my foundation training template. This template is used, with minor modifications, the bulk of the year, with six to 12 weeks between cycles (which last a minimum of 4 weeks and a maximum of 12 weeks).

On the Karate front, I have all but four of the kata which comprise my strain of Isshinryu. I doubt I will get more than two of these over the next year, and that's fine with me. Right now, I am focusing the bulk of my non-partnered training time on our kata.

My main goal currently is: adjusting the technique and basic flow of the forms to the performance of our new organization's head (the aforementioned 10th Dan under whom I tested). This performance is most readily seen in the 1966 videos of Sensei Tatsuo Shimabuku, Isshinryu's founder. Of course, we do not match the performance extactly, but it's a Rosetta Stone of sorts for the basic learning template.

I will begin updating this blog on a regular basis come Monday. This week, I have two training sessions, one karate, one weights. 'Tis the shopping season, and I am a salesman by trade.

Good training, and good night.

Also - 11/20/06 10:49 PM

I will be renewing my ISSA certification (CFT) and finishing off my collegiate career (degree in Exercise Science, minor in Behavioral Psych. [as relates to stress reactions]). The CFT cert. will be renewed in December, and the next-to-last semester starts January.

Better late in graduation than never.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: VashBlog - Krotty, Iron, & Stuff - 11/21/06 01:44 AM

Awesome stuff man I can't dumbbell press that much. I would say if you are in training for the Sabaki get in a much sparring as you can from now until then. I look forward to reading up on your progess.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: VashBlog - Krotty, Iron, & Stuff - 11/21/06 08:50 AM

Congrats on your 2nd dan, Stampede!

Re: VashBlog - Krotty, Iron, & Stuff - 11/21/06 12:15 PM

Quote:

Awesome stuff man I can't dumbbell press that much. I would say if you are in training for the Sabaki get in a much sparring as you can from now until then. I look forward to reading up on your progess.

Thanks!

You're 100% right, every opportunity I have, I'll be banging leather (or at least painted styrofoam) and bare fists/feet.

Re: VashBlog - Krotty, Iron, & Stuff - 11/21/06 12:16 PM

Quote:

Congrats on your 2nd dan, Stampede!

Thanks very much!

11:27.06 - 11/27/06 10:42 PM

Oi to the Ve'. FIrst lift in one week, first chiro visit in 4 days. EEEEEEEk.

Warmup is a constant:

Kusanku Sai (Isshinryu)
Tokumine no Kun
Bo/Bo Kumite Attacker/Defender Versions A & B (Four Forms)
Chizi kun Bo (Kimo Wall to Terry Reed version)

Mobility Drills:

Birddog Progression 1 - x5/side
Birddog Progression 2 - x5/side
Yoga Twist - 5/side
Bent-Leg Swing - 5/side
Prone Scorpion - 5/side
Toy Soldier - 5/side
X-Plane - 5/side
Lying Torso Twist - 5/side
Small Shoulder Circles - Forward/Back - 15sec each
Large Shoulder Circles - Forward/Back - 15sec each

[b/Lift
Front Squat: 1x5 @ bw, 2x5 @ bar, 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 115, 1x5 @ 125, 2x5 @ 135lbs

Somehow, on my 1st 135 squat, I was Good Mornin'ing the weight with my lumbar spine. Didn't activate the abs at all. Felt funky as heck.

Lunging Step-Up: 5x5 @ 25lbs

Felt myself pushing off with the outside of my quads (v.l.), a problem I've had off and on for a while. I blame it on the sciatic irritation from the chiro.

Angled-Bench Glute-Ham Raise: 2x5 @ 65, 2x5 @ 70, 1x5 @ 75

[Superset- 1 set chins followed by 1 set press]
Chins: 5x7 @ BW
Overhead Dumbbell Press: 1x5 @ 40, 4x5 @ 45

50lbs is my absolute limit on this lift. After a few weeks of working with my 5-rep max, I started having bad irritation and anterior rolling of my entire shoulder girdle. I will not be working at my max in this lift for a while

[Superset - One-Arm Horizontal Cable Press, then Row]
2x5 @ 60
2x5 @ 70

T8 irritation - bad cramps. Stopped after 2 sets of each.

Hanging Pike - 5x5 @ BW

One Arm Cable Cuban Rotations - 1x8 @ 30
One Arm Cable External Rotations - 1x8 @ 30

These two lifts are, for my shoulders, the KINGS of accessory rotator cuff work. They make a world of difference, especially with a cross-arm grip on Front Squats (I can't perform the Olympic grip correctly due to malformed let elbow)

15 Minutes, Upper and Lower Body Stretching

Diet - 11/27/06 11:05 PM

Here's a basic layout of my diet, followed by supplements:

Meal 1:

3 Omega-6 Eggs, 2 Pieces Toast, Surge (Pre-Post Workout Drink)

Meal 2:

Surge, 1/2during, 1/2 after workout, weights and karate

Meal 3:

Either half Whey, Half M.C. protein shake, or box of Ramen noodles, 3/4lbs hamburger, Greens+, Gatorade

Meal 4:

Same as 3

Meal 5:

Whey/M.C. shake

Meal 6:

Either shake or 1lbs chicken, 2 cups vegetables

Meal 7:

Full Micellar Casein Protein Drink

(note: all shakes made with 16oz of 2% milk)

Supplements - 11/27/06 11:13 PM

1st thing in the morning, I take for tablets of Biotest's BCAA. I also take four about 1.5hours after each meal.

I use Biotest's Flameout fish oil, two tablet with my 2nd and fourth solid meal of the day.

I also use the Biotest ZMA supplement at night. Works wonders for my sleep (I have reoccuring bouts of insomnia, as well as shallow sleep).

[Note: I don't work for Biotest. Promise. I've just found most of their products to be excellent. Just drink the T-Nation Kool-Aide with a few pounds of salt.]

As a multi-vitamin, I use Animal Pak. Now, don't scoff, I don't drop $70 on this. In fact, I pay about $16 for a 44 pak serving. Use bestpricenutrition.com for that. I got into these vitamins from an ex-girlfriend who worked in a nursery across the street from one of the largest hospitals in Little Rock, Arkansas. She was NEVER sick, and most of the kids she ended up working with were. Just don't take the whole serving (10 tablets) at once. I tend to take three of them with every solid meal. Being as I work with the public, as well as teaching the kid's karate classes, and workout in a gym often used by the elderly, these are essentials.

I use the Wal-Mart brand Glucosamine, and take 3 grams a day.

I have used creatine monohydrate in the past, but it causes my lips to chap severely. Nothing wrong with creatine, it's just not fit for me. I recommend to every one of my clients, though.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Supplements - 11/27/06 11:35 PM

How much protien are you getting? Seems like a huge number.

Seems like a dead-set diet that would get boring very quickly, have you been doing this for long?

I think you spend as much on supplements as I do on my mortgage.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Diet - 11/28/06 04:54 AM

Stampede, I could tell long before you got to the supplementation that you were a T-Nation guy .

Points to consider:

1.If you lose form on an exercise at 50lbs, then you are not doing that exercise at 50lbs. therefore your max is 45lbs at that specific lift. Dont kid yourself. Its good that you have reigned in the weight in favour of form.

2.Your supplementation programme is heavy. i agree with you that biotest turn out some good stuff (Mag-10 RIP), and I have used Tribex gold for its muscle sparing qualities with some success, but i also found Hot Rox to be terrible and mess my systems up completely. The trouble with 'stacking' supplements is not the expense (your money, your business), but rather the question of what is working and what isn't. With patience, and cycling supplements individualy, you can decide if they give you an effect, and if so, know that they are worth putting in a stack in the future. If no benefit is noticed, you know you can save your cash.
You may have already gone through this process, if so fair enough, if not, its worth considering.

3. Your training routine is geared for pure functional strength which can then be applied to your MA, yet you are eating like a bodybuilder- and a big one at that. If your goal was hypertrophy, or even if your weekly strength work was of higher volume and duration with 'strongman' type work and a slightly more complex split cycle, I would say the elevated protein could be justified, but you simply dont, and it simply isnt.

i notice that you, like so many others are a little 'phobic' of carbs. I dont care what T-nation say, good natural complex carbohydrates, and the energy they provide can not be adequately replaced by energy drinks and shakes.

I like your training outlook, and know where you are coming from with your goals and methods, I just think you need to reign everything in a little and apply a more judicious approach to your eating and supplementation.
Efficiency applies to all aspects of your training- not just exercise. throwing supplements down your neck with no way of evaluating their effects is not efficient.

Cord.

Re: Supplements - 11/28/06 01:39 PM

Quote:

How much protien are you getting? Seems like a huge number.

Usually around 250g.

Quote:

Seems like a dead-set diet that would get boring very quickly, have you been doing this for long?

It's not as locked in as it seems. Keeping with eating as much non-fastfood as possible, the diet I outlined gives me enough flexibility to keep things interesting.

Quote:

Only around $250 a month

Re: Diet - 11/28/06 02:08 PM

Quote:

Stampede, I could tell long before you got to the supplementation that you were a T-Nation guy .

What gave me away?

Quote:

Points to consider:

1.If you lose form on an exercise at 50lbs, then you are not doing that exercise at 50lbs. therefore your max is 45lbs at that specific lift. Dont kid yourself. Its good that you have reigned in the weight in favour of form.

I apologize for not being clear. The shoulder rolling and pain did not occur during the lift. Two days after the last workout using the 50lbs DBs, I began having a grinding sensation in my left shoulder and noticed my posture was not exactly kosher. This had not been occurring previous to the workout, so I felt that lift at that weight was the cause. (I have slight vertebral damage at T2,3)

Quote:

2.Your supplementation programme is heavy. i agree with you that biotest turn out some good stuff (Mag-10 RIP), and I have used Tribex gold for its muscle sparing qualities with some success, but i also found Hot Rox to be terrible and mess my systems up completely. The trouble with 'stacking' supplements is not the expense (your money, your business), but rather the question of what is working and what isn't. With patience, and cycling supplements individualy, you can decide if they give you an effect, and if so, know that they are worth putting in a stack in the future. If no benefit is noticed, you know you can save your cash.
You may have already gone through this process, if so fair enough, if not, its worth considering.

I agree with you here. I have tried each on a case by case basis, and have stuck with the ones that work. The fish oil I have taken for some time as it helps alleviate some of the problems which come from my collection of damaged nerves and young(er) stupidity.

Quote:

3. Your training routine is geared for pure functional strength which can then be applied to your MA, yet you are eating like a bodybuilder- and a big one at that. If your goal was hypertrophy, or even if your weekly strength work was of higher volume and duration with 'strongman' type work and a slightly more complex split cycle, I would say the elevated protein could be justified, but you simply dont, and it simply isnt.

Currently, yes. I use the 5x5 as my go-to program, and after it tend to go to strength-hypertrophy cycle, then back to strength. Pure hypertrophy workouts have only ever caused me problems.

Quote:

i notice that you, like so many others are a little 'phobic' of carbs. I dont care what T-nation say, good natural complex carbohydrates, and the energy they provide can not be adequately replaced by energy drinks and shakes.

The heavy protein intake and somewhat lower carb intake is due to a problem I have with carbs. I can tolerate carbs coming from milk and vegetables, and can tolerate starches sometimes. Depending on the alignment of the planets, I can have breakouts of rashes and blisters, insomnia, elevated heart rate, profuse sweating, and the like, concurrent with a "normal" carbohydrate intake.

Also, I tend to drop weight (water, fat and muscle) when I eat less than 3500kcal, and have severe headaches when I don't have around 190+ grams of protein a day for three or more days.

And yes, I write down EVERYTHING I eat, and anything related to my training and general health.

Quote:

I like your training outlook, and know where you are coming from with your goals and methods, I just think you need to reign everything in a little and apply a more judicious approach to your eating and supplementation.
Efficiency applies to all aspects of your training- not just exercise. throwing supplements down your neck with no way of evaluating their effects is not efficient.

Cord.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read through my log, and for sharing your experience. I am not trying to second-guess you in the above quotes, and appreciate any and all suggestions. I will be reevaluating my diet and training, and will see what I could change to improve the efficiency and safety of my overall program.

Again, thanks.

Edit: Fixed quotes
Posted by: Cord

Re: Diet - 11/28/06 05:40 PM

It sounds like you have adapted what you need in accordance with your experiences. If you have found what works for you, then thats awesome. I was merely concerned that you had bought into the more extreme end of the advise on t-nation without exploring less supplement heavy avenues. A lot of people would try and walk on water if that site said one of their tablets could make them do it, and whilst I rate them, many of the articles and theories do have a linked agenda with their supplements.

This is clearly not the case, so keep going buddy, i like the routine FWIW.

Re: Diet - 11/28/06 09:41 PM

Quote:

It sounds like you have adapted what you need in accordance with your experiences. If you have found what works for you, then thats awesome. I was merely concerned that you had bought into the more extreme end of the advise on t-nation without exploring less supplement heavy avenues. A lot of people would try and walk on water if that site said one of their tablets could make them do it, and whilst I rate them, many of the articles and theories do have a linked agenda with their supplements.

This is clearly not the case, so keep going buddy, i like the routine FWIW.

I definetly appreciate the feedback; I know it may not seem like it, but I do have the ability to empty my cup, so if you see anything you think should be addressed in my training, I will definetly appreciate your letting me know.

That's one of the reasons I've decided to go with a public log; so I can grow.

Karate 11:28 - 11/28/06 09:47 PM

My warmup is the same for weights, with the addition of:

Two-Man Basics (attacker and defender)
Seisan Bunkai (another two-man drill using Isshinryu's Seisan kata as a building block)

Workout
15 Upper Body Basics (5 techs/side)
10 Lower Body Basics (5 techs right/6 left)

Seisan
Seiunchin
Sanchin (Note: I do not do dynamic tension, with the exception of those weeks when I am not doing any assisted resistance training)
Naihanchi
Wansu
Chinto
Kusanku
Sunsu

Normally at this point, I do four kata, each eight times, working on a specific technical aspect; flow, focus, imagined application potential, or technique-based cardio conditioning. Today being my break-in week after my respite, I did only Kusanku no Sai eight times, focusing on decent technique at a medium pace.

Cooldown

Upper and Lower Body Stretching
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Supplements - 11/29/06 07:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Only around $250 a month

You are definitely in a different tax bracket than I.

It'll be nice to see your training methods, good luck with the training and log.

God Bless Hot Water - 11/30/06 12:52 AM

Just got out of a tub filled with VERY hot water - heals most wounds.

Workout Today:

Same Warmup, Workout as yesterday, add:

Sunsu x 8 - steady flow, working on finding "sections" which seems to be setup-engage-disengage, as well as kinetic energy flow

Naihanchi x 4 - same as above

Chinto x 4 - Same as above

Naihanchi/Chinto x 4 -flow from the end of Naihanchi into Chinto, repeat. Working on taking the implied twisting and spinning motion of Naihanchi, transferring it to Chinto, and back.

Upper and Lower body stretching

Tomorrow is weights, and I don't get my 8 hours of sleep. Teh sadness.

Re: Supplements - 11/30/06 12:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Only around $250 a month

You are definitely in a different tax bracket than I.

It'll be nice to see your training methods, good luck with the training and log.

That was a bit of embellishment. I spend no more than $150 a month, mainly on protein and vegetable powder. I'm a student, and love 20 minutes from anything, so I often have my food on the go. Protein and vegetable powder are excellent for the road warriors among us.

As far as the training, I'm fairly kata-centric, though I love working all points of the force continuum.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Supplements - 11/30/06 05:42 AM

Quote:

I spend no more than $150 a month

that all?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Supplements - 11/30/06 10:24 AM

For myself on supplements, $65 every 4-5 months; protein.

Re: Supplements - 11/30/06 02:50 PM

Quote:

For myself on supplements, $65 every 4-5 months; protein.

Where do you buy from?

Re: Supplements - 11/30/06 02:59 PM

I buy my protein supplement from Popeye's.

http://www.popeyescanada.com/

I actually go into the store to pick it up as Edmonton, AB has quite a few locations. However I have a body building buddy who orders it on-line and gets it mailed out to him and surprisingly he winds up getting things cheaper. Also when you purchase, at least in the store, you get Popeye bucks which you can use against your next purchase. I've gone in and got it free due to the amount of Popeye bucks I would save up.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Supplements - 11/30/06 04:02 PM

For myself: £0.00 . Yes, I really am skint I just eat plenty and that seems to be fine.

It looks like a nice workout plan, I'm liking the focus on O'head Pressing, I hate how instructors often neglect the overhead lifts for fear of damaging the back. I'm doing a couple of 25kgers at the moment (is that 50lbs?) and loving it

Re: Supplements - 11/30/06 04:14 PM

25 Kilograms = 55.12 Pounds (conversion of 2.2046)

Re: Supplements - 11/30/06 11:30 PM

Quote:

For myself: £0.00 . Yes, I really am skint I just eat plenty and that seems to be fine.

It looks like a nice workout plan, I'm liking the focus on O'head Pressing, I hate how instructors often neglect the overhead lifts for fear of damaging the back. I'm doing a couple of 25kgers at the moment (is that 50lbs?) and loving it

Awesome. Keep it up!

Lifties - 11/30/06 11:34 PM

Warm-up and most of the workout was the same as monday.

Because of the form breakdown I had on my Monday lift, I kept the weight the same to see exactly where and when I was messing up. Kept my abs tight on all sets of squats, and that seemed to fix me there. I think my mind wandered Monday . . .

Overhead presses: 5x5 @ 45s w/2 second hold at top position. I was feeling "funky" in my elbow extension Monday, and wanted to see where I was breaking down here. Did not happen, so I was happy.

Friday - 12/01/06 10:32 PM

No karate today. Right shoulder area sore, stiff. I think it's irritation from the horizontal push/pulls on cables. Next week, they're out of the cycle so I can diagnose my malfunction.

Uber-Hot-Tub in my future.

Saturday - 12/03/06 12:40 AM

Thankfully, I don't think the problem with my shoulder is due to inflammation or injury - it's my upper back. I have a series of problem areas which, though they cause mild to severe pain and cramping, do not have surgical fix. More often than not, the pain is tolerable, as is the cramping. Today and yesterday, though, it was enough to cut my workout.

I'm thinking about trying a Beta-Alanine supplement to help with the muscular fatigue caused by the nigh-constant cramping. yay. More money to flush down the drain.

Bah. I go to chiro Monday morning, be made moderately better. That will have to do for now.

Dag Gummit.

Monday Lifties - 12/04/06 10:08 PM

Saw chiro, helped. I think my weight gain (up to 190lbs) is the direct cause of my back problems. Dang. Oh well, 180-185 isn't so bad. I'm just a little weirded out at how 5lbs can make such a difference in my overall health and functioning.

Anyway, workout:

(regular warmup + squat warmup: 3x5 BW front squat position, 3x5 w/bar)

Front Squat: 5x5 - 95, 115, 135, 140, 145
Lunging Step-Up: 5x5 @ 30
Angled Glute-Ham: 5x5 - 65, 70, 70, 75, 75

[Superset]
Chins: 5x7 -BW
Overhead Dumbbell Press: 5x5 - 45s, 45s, 50s, 45s, 50s
[/Superset]

Didn't have the same problem w/the 50s as last time - direct correlation to back treatment.

Kneeling Cable Crunch: 5x5 - 70, 80, 90, 90, 100

Cable Cuban Rotation: 1x8 - 30lbs

Didn't do much in this vein d/t upper back issues

Stretch, ROM movements

Diet Mods - 12/04/06 10:12 PM

Because of my need to get to and stay at 180-185, I will be modifying my diet. The framework is thus:

Meal 1: 3 Eggs (w/2 cups veggies in omelat, + one whole tomato), 2 pieces toast, Surge

Meal 2: Surge

Meal 3: Either Ramen Noodles, dried veggies & 2 Cans Tuna or Whey/MC Shake

Meal 4: Same as 3

Meal 5: Either 8-10oz Chicken breast + veggies & Rice, or shake

Meal 6: From Meal 5, whichever I didn't eat

Meal 7: MC shake

Re: Diet Mods - 12/04/06 10:18 PM

I'd like to make a clarification on my diet . . .

I avoid most starches/carbs due to the reasons listed earlier in the thread (anxiety, reactions, etc). These reasons are not unique to me, but they are not the most common. So, if there is anyone looking for diet advice, and they happen upon my posts, remember that my experiences are just that - mine. It works for me, but I don't recommend it for my clients for the most part. Except when working with kids under 12 - they are usually unfamiliar with non-fast food or junk food, so any shift of macronutrient type is favorable.

Also, vegetables or fruits are taken with each of my meals - usually dehydrated in my Ron Popeel thingie, or in the form of Greens+ or More than Greens. When I am not on the road (work, school, etc) I get my veggies whole and hydrated. I think, though, that anything is better than nothing in my case.

Tuesday - 12/05/06 12:22 PM

Barely got through my warmup today - severe cramping. Coupled with life stressors, I decided to call it a day before I ended up doing something stupid.

Bah.

Re: Tuesday - 12/05/06 12:30 PM

Good call.

Thursday - 12/07/06 10:46 PM

Didn't train at all yesterday - got to see my youngest brother bowl at the Arkansas State Special Olympics. Did great - his team ended up with 2nd (out of 20 groups).

Lifts today were pretty much the same as Monday, just finished 5 minutes faster - 81 minutes from beginning of warm-up to end of stretching.

Did get 155x5 on my last set of front squats. That was nice. Aside from that, poundages remained the same, just made an effort to shorten the breaks between each set.

Monday - 12/11/06 02:32 PM

My program for this 6 week block is thus:

2 Weeks - 5x5
1 Week - 3x8
2 Weeks - 5x5
1 Week - 4x8

I just finished the first 5x5 block, and today was my first 3x8. This is a cycle I like to run, as I can garner decent strength gains during the 4 5x5 weeks, and use the 4x8 to help with hypertrophy and muscular endurance.

I didn't think this 3x8 would be so challenging, but boy, it whipped my hind quarters. It follows . . .

1 Arm Dumbbell Snatch: 3x8 (1x8 per arm = 1 set) 30, 35, 45

45 seconds between sets

Lunging Step-Up: 3x8 (1x8 each leg = 1 set) - 30, 30, 30

45 seconds between sets

Angled Glute-Ham Raise: 3x8 - 65, 70, 70

45 seconds between sets

[superset]
Chins: 3x8
Overhead Dumbbell Press: 3x8 - 40, 40, 40
[/superset]

[superset]
1 Arm Horizontal Cable Press: 2x8 - 60, 70
Row:70, 80
[/superset]

Pikes: 2x8 (almost threw up)

[superset]
External Cable Rotations: 1x8 - 30
Cable Cuban Rotation: 1x8 - 30
[/superset]

I promply went home and passed out on the floor.

Tuesday - 12/12/06 06:46 PM

Wow. My inner thighs are sore. I blame the Snatches.

Anyway.

Warmup
Kusanku Sai
Chatan Yara no Sai (1st sequence)
Tokumine no Kun
4 Bo/Bo Drills
Chizi kun Bo
Seisan Bunkai
Two Man - Attacker, Defender
Mobility Drills, Glute Activation Work

Workout
Seisan
Seiunchin
Sanchin
Naihanchi
Wansu
Chinto
Kusanku
Sunsu

Kusanku Sai - 2x4
Sunsu - 2x4
Naihanchi - 1x4
Chinto - 1x4
Naihanchi/Chinto (bleed together) - 1x4

Regular workout for Tues/Fri.

Wednesday - 12/14/06 11:30 PM

Warmup
Kusanku Sai
Chatan Yara no Sai (1st sequence)
Tokumine no Kun
4 Bo/Bo Drills
Chizi kun Bo
Seisan Bunkai
Two Man - Attacker, Defender
Mobility Drills, Glute Activation Work

Workout
Seisan
Seiunchin
Sanchin
Naihanchi
Wansu
Chinto
Kusanku
Sunsu

Kusanku Sai - 2x4
Sunsu - 2x4
Naihanchi/Chinto (bleed together) - 1x8

3 rounds x 3 min bagwork.

There were some . . . less than aged/intelligent people in the dojo today . . . despite the whole sign saying "karate students only" (it's sectioned off from a weight lifting gym). Need to talk to the owner.

Anyway.

Thursday - 12/14/06 11:32 PM

Did 3x8 on DB Snatches today, and that was it.

Sciatic nerve was hella irritated from playing an hour's worth of two-hand touch football last night at RadioShack. We played in the parking lot.

Lots of running. Lots of stopping.

Lots of my female boss handing me my ass.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Thursday - 12/14/06 11:41 PM

haha lucky it wasnt tackle, she woulda put you on ur ass lol

Re: Thursday - 12/15/06 12:49 AM

Quote:

haha lucky it wasnt tackle, she woulda put you on ur ass lol

Indeed. She's a very physical old lady (28,9). Very cool boss. I was on the clock, making about $4 more than minimum wage.

My life is, for the most part, teh roxors.

Friday, and plan - 12/15/06 01:23 PM

Did my usual, with the second part of my workout consisting of Kusanku Sai for 4 run-thourhg.s

I think I'm moving the focus away from the sai right now, so the four kata I focus on for the next while will be Sunsu, Naihanchi/Chinto, and alternating between Sanchin and Seisan.

Will also be adding in a 15 minute drill period for a technique of choice from one of my focus kata.

Re: Friday, and plan - 12/23/06 01:22 AM

Have been a bit too busy to update my blog. Fear not, though, I'm still in the gym and the dojo. Will update soon as I get a chance.

Monday - 01/08/07 10:35 PM

Finally, FINALLY, first full workout since the 26th.

I've started going through all of my karate forms and drills previous to my weight days. As opposed to cut'n'paste'n' all that here, I'll just say: it's ever'thin', 'cept repetition (not counting basics) bagwork, footwork. Just a cover of the syllabus.

After that, lifties:

Front Squat:

2xbw, 2xbar, 1x5 - 95, 105, 115, 125, 125

Lunging Step-Ups: 5x5 @ 25

Shoulder-width glute ham raise: 1x5 - 60, 60, 65, 65, 65

(my feet are placed as wide as the station allows. I've noticed much more inner thigh activation, as well as inclusion of the glutes in the movement. Doing it in this fashion has also made a big difference in my lower back pain/sciatic nerve irritation. I've also noticed a difference in the VMO - I can actually feel it. After years and years of a major imbalance there, it's nice.)

[superset]
Chins: 5x7
Overhead Dumbbell Press: 5x5 - 40s, 45s, 40s, 45s, 45s
[/superset]

[superset]
One Arm horizontal cable press: 3x5 - 50, 60, 60
Row: 3x5 - 60, 70, 80
[/superset]

Kneeling Cable Crunch: 4x5 - 80, 90, 100, 100

Cable Cuban Rotation: 1x8 - 30lbs
External Cable Rotation: 1x8 - 30lbs

Went lighter than normal today to save my back the cramps generally associated with getting back in the gym after missing two or more resistance workouts. However, the pain and cramping is no where near what I expected. I feel that the combination of the fish oil, my chiropractic care, and changes in resistance and karate programming have aided in this.

Full workout tomorrow, none Wednesday - inventory repeat - 20hours in the RadioShack of Doom!

Re: Monday - 01/15/07 10:04 PM

I actually lifted today!

Warmup:

Karate & Kobudo

Front Squat:

2xbw, 2xbar, 1x5 - 95, 115, 135, 155, 155x8

Shoulder-width glute ham raise: 1x5 - 60, 60, 65, 65, 70

[superset]
Chins: 5x7
Overhead Dumbbell Press: 5x5 - 40s, 45s, 50s, 45s, 45s
[/superset]

[superset]
One Arm Low to High cable Fly: 3x5 - 30, 30, 30
One Arm Low to High cable Reverse Fly: 3x5 - 30, 30, 30
[/superset]

Pike: 4x5 - 80, 90, 100, 100

Tuesday - 01/16/07 02:04 PM

Saw the chiro beforehand - feelin' good. Still sore from lack of movement, lifting, so intensity not 100%.

Warmup:

Seisan Bunkai
Two-Man (both sides)
Mobility Drills - Hips, Knees, Torso
15 Upper Body Basics
10 Lower

Seisan through Sunsu
Chatan Yara no Sai (partial)
Kusanku no Sai
Bo/Bo Kumite (four drills)
Tokumine no Kun

Kusanku no Sai x 8
Naihanchi x 8
Wansu x 8
Sunsu x 8

Stretching

Thursday - 01/19/07 09:01 AM

Still some soreness from my sciatic area - stiff and sore. Oh, well. iPod Shuffle makes some of it go away.

Tuesday, in addition to the karate, I did kid's class and adults. Kids we went over stances, basics, there first non-drill kata (Seisan). Adults, 10 minutes of stretch (I don't participate in this because of issues my body has with the "accepted" stretching), 15 minutes of 1 to 4 step drills, 35 min. random and group sparring. Got man-handled by our 3rd Dan.

Thursday lifties . . .

All karate & kobudo beforehand, then

Front Squat: 5x5 - 95, 115, 135, 155, 155
A. Glute-Ham Raise: 5x5 - 60, 60, 65, 65, 70

[superset]
Chinups: 5x7 - BW
Overhead Dumbbell Press: 5x5 - 40s, 45s, 50s, 45s, 50s
[/superset]
[superset]
1 Arm Cable Low-High Fly: 3x5 - 30
1 Arm Cable Low-High Reverse Fly: 3x5 -30
[/superset]

Kneeling Cable Crunch: 5x5 (5 left, 5 right)- 80, 90, 100, 110, 110

Cable Cuban Rotation: 1x8 - 30
External Cable Rotation: 1x8 - 40

Stretching

Overall, happy with progress.

Friday - 01/19/07 11:11 PM

Standard karate workout, as previous.

Started doing A. G-H Raises after my workouts - makes a HUGE difference in my lower back/legs feeling and cramping. Without the knee flexion, I find the movement to be nearly identical to a reverse hyper. Good stuff. Going to start 2x10 reps of this before and after all workouts.

Re: Friday - 01/22/07 01:52 PM

Tried deadlifting today. Weight and stance not the issue - the specific motion causes problems. Oh, well. No harm, no foul.

Aside from them;

Angled Glute-Hams -5x5: 65s
BW Reverse Hypers: 2x10 before deads, 1x10 after AGH, 1x10 after workout

[[ss]]
Chins: 4x7, 1x8
Overhead DB Press
[[/ss]
[[ss]]
1 arm cable low-high fly: 3x5 - 30
row: 3x5 - 30
[[ss]]

hanging Pike: 5x5

Cable Cuban ROtation: 1x8 - 30
External Cable Rotation: 1x8 - 40

Tuesday - 01/23/07 02:40 PM

1x10, 1x5 bw reverse hypers. Back was perfect through my full workout. *knocks on wood*

Did all basics, drills, kata, then:

Seiunchin x 8
Seisan
Sunsu x 8
Naihanchi x 8

Re: Tuesday - 01/29/07 08:08 PM

Didn't miss a workout last week. On weights, everything was normal, except my front squats:

5x5 - 95, 115, 135, 155, 160

Monday:

1 Arm Dumbbell Snatch: 3x8 (1 set per arm) 35, 40, 50
Lunging Step-Up: 3x8 - 30
Glute-Ham Raise: 3x8 BW, 65, 70

Chins: 8x5
Face Pull: 3x8 - 50, 50, 50
Incline Pushups Ups: 3x8

Pike: 3x8

No morning karate tomorrow. get to drive to a RadioShack meeting. Hopefully, will make it to teach kids, participate in adults.

Born on a Monday - 01/31/07 10:25 AM

Got teh sickness. Light cold, with any luck. Sore throat, light body ache, slight fever, no energy.

*grabs case of Ny-Quil*

Re: Born on a Monday - 01/31/07 01:27 PM

Hope you get better so you can continue training. Ensure you rest adequately as working out when sick will just lower your immune system more. Thought I'd pop in here to say I am one that is reading your thread.

Re: Born on a Monday - 01/31/07 09:54 PM

I haven't got the strength to work out. I barely made it through work today. Don't "feel" bad, just sore to the touch, feverish, slight runny nose, uber sore throat.

Taking my multi, drinking my Gatorade, getting in adequate proteins and veggies (downed a gallon of V8 today), trying not to die.

Thanks for the support! Knowing there's someone actually watching keeps me in line.

Bah. - 02/01/07 03:30 PM

Still worse for wear. Eating a lot of Ramen Noodle Chow Mein meals. Those Thai Peanut flavor packages are absolutely FTW.

Gatorade + Ramen = Survival

Re: Bah. - 02/03/07 10:21 AM

Surviving. Still light sore throat, runny nose. No fever, no weakness.

Re: Bah. - 02/03/07 10:23 AM

Take it easy and get better soon.

Re: Bah. - 02/03/07 12:17 PM

You'll be up and at them in no time. Just a delay but not to fret, lots of hours, days, weeks, months and years a head of you and that this is just a minor set back.

Re: Bah. - 02/04/07 12:36 AM

Thanks for the support!

I'm not down at all. It's just a few days to rest, recover, and do other stuff.

I was crippled for 15 months and eight days. This doesn't even rate as a drop in the bucket next to that.

'course, the Ny-Quil helps.

Lifties - 02/05/07 09:55 PM

Reverse Hyper - 2x10, Karate and Kobudo as warmup

1 Arm Dumbbell Snatch: 4x3 - 30# (warmup - first three sets fast pulls, not snatch)

3x8 - 40, 50, 50

Grip killed on this - amazing feeling. Whole body on fire.

Lunging Step Up: 3x8 - 30

Noticed when I mimic the stepping motion in reverse with the non-loaded leg, my form is much, MUCH better, feel activation in my glutes, at the VMO, and there's almost no lateral leaning or bucking. Felt much better.

Angled Glute-Ham Raise: 3x8 - 65, 65, 70

Changed my mental focus [squeezing glutes, digging in and lifting with heels], felt a huge difference in my glutes and inner thigh. Uber-bad burn. Love it.

Chin-Up: 8x6

Alternating Overhead Wide Dumbbell Press: 2x8, 1x7 - 30s, 35s, 40s

Elbows pinned to sides, raising up. Normally do them to the front [ala Sanchin position], mimicking close-grip chin-ups. Felt very, very weak. Focused on keeping scapula pointed down and in. Had ZERO familiarity with the movement, felt it much in my traps. Very weird. Love it.

Cable Face Pull: 3x8 - 50

Same scapular focus as with presses. Felt muscles in my upper back I didn't know I had. At least I'm addressing my whole shoulder instability thing now, before I ego'd more weight on more standard lifts.

Kneeling Cable Crunch: 3x8 - 80lbs

Set the pin high, focused on keeping my pelvis tilted forward and locked, flexing to midway. Felt very different. Much weaker, but felt more "stable."

Cooldown: Stretching

I can feel the soreness already.

Re: Lifties - 02/06/07 09:38 AM

I am sore in every way it is possible to be sore.

Eating my egg sammich with a glass of V8, Spike Shooter to follow. Then, to karate!

Tuesday - 02/06/07 01:13 PM

Standard workout. All drills, kata, etc.

No additional after the one each. Super sore.

Didn't see chiro, but no pain, stiffness. No complaints about that.

Not the best workout in the world, but I'll take what I can get.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Tuesday - 02/06/07 11:51 PM

So the Sabaki Challenge is coming up soon... Are you still going? Just wondering I have been following this thread weekly and wanted to see if you were still going.

Sabaki - 02/07/07 12:08 AM

I'm still planning on it. I'm not getting NEAR the sparring I want and need, though. With work and family the way it is now, I may only have kata and some bagwork to get me through. I suppose that makes me a paper tiger of sorts, but okay.

So yeah, plans are in place to go. Just have to get doctor's o.k. (that's going to be interesting).

I do have contingency plans, though. If I can't make it to the Sabaki, either because of work, doctor, or the fact that Stuff Happens, I would like to make it to the kung fu centric Tai Ji Legacy. The sparring is continuous as opposed to full contact, there's no ground work ( ), or strikes to the leg. Sucks, but that's why it's my second choice, venue-wise.

Friday - 02/09/07 09:22 AM

haven't missed the gym this week, haven't gone to the chiro but twice.

My karate workouts have been short - fatigue from Monday's session. Looks like:

Two-Man
Seisan Bunkai
Basics
Kata

Weights yesterday, still fatigued. DId one set of everything, back to back, no rest periods. Got a set of 10 on chins, got 40lbs DB on my wide grip alternating overhead dumbbell press.

Karate (feeling fine today, so at least the usual, plus 2x5 on Sunsu), probably more Saturday.

God es teh r0x0rz.

Re: Friday - 02/09/07 10:20 PM

Seisan bunkai
Two-Man
15 Upper Body Basics
10 Lower Body Basics

Seisan
Seiunchin
Sanchin
Naihanchi
Wansu
Chinto
Kusanku
Sunsu

Chizi kun bo
Kusanku Sai

Bo/Bo (four total drills, two attacker, two defender)
Tokumine no Kun

plus

2x5 - Sunsu - various speeds, focus, etc

2x5 - Naihanchi - various speeds, stepping & "sweeping" methods, etc

30 minutes footwork. Shuffle, skip, shuffle-shuffle-crescent, crescent, triangle footwork, circle-walking, Wansu-inspired movement.

Re: Friday - 02/15/07 06:49 PM

nothing saturday - lot's to do.

Monday:

Regular Warmup, then

1Arm DB Snatch (1ADBS): 5x5 - 35, 40, 45, 50, 50

Lunging Step-Up (LSU): 5x5 - 30 (5x5 on left leg, 5x8 on right. Noticed a muscular and strength difference. Increasing volume to compensate)

Angled Glute-Ham Raise (Hyper): 5x5 - 60, 65, 70, 70, 70

[superset]
Chinups: 4x5 , 5x5 (superset 5x5 w/below, 1st 4 sets single)

Overhead Dumbbell Press: 3x5 , 2x5 - 40s, 35s, 45s, 35s, 50s (lighter sets used shoulder-width pressing motion)
[/superset]

1 Arm Cable Rip-Down (To Anatomical Position): 3x5 - 40

Pike: 5x5

Tuesday - 02/15/07 06:54 PM

2x10 Reverse Hypers, then

Seisan Bunkai
Two-Man

15 Upper Body Basics (2 Forward, 2 Back - each side)
10 Lower (4 kicks right, 2 left)

Seisan
Seiunchin
Sanchin
Naihanchi
Wansu
Chinto
Kusanku
Sunsu

Chizi kun bo
Kusanku Sai

Sunsu - 2x4
Naihanchi - 2x4

Wednesday - 02/15/07 06:57 PM

Same as yesterday, but 2x5 on Sunsu, and that's it.

Thursday - 02/15/07 07:00 PM

Same as Monday, but with 35 DB on LSU.

Friday - 02/16/07 11:32 PM

2x10 Reverse Hypers, then

Seisan Bunkai
Two-Man

Seisan
Seiunchin
Sanchin
Naihanchi
Wansu
Chinto
Kusanku
Sunsu

Chizi kun bo
Kusanku Sai

Sunsu - 2
Naihanchi - 2
Sunsu - 2
Naihanchi - 2

Stance Transition & Hold: 2 Minutes Each

Ready Position, ==>
Left Forward Seisan, ==>
Right Forward Seisan, ==>
[step back to]Shiko Dachi [hold 5 Minutes], ==>
Naihanchi, ==>
Left Forward Sanchin, ==>
Right Forward Sanchin, ==>
Left Forward Zenkutsu, ==>
Right Forward Zenkutsu, ==>
[step back to] Ready Position

Sunsu - 2x4
Naihanchi - 2x4

30 Minutes Footwork Drills - Long Walk [Across Dojo]

Crescent/Seisan Stepping
Shuffle [in Forward Seisan, then Side]
Skip
Shuffle-Shuffle-Crescent
Forward/Back Movement
Wansu-Inspired
Triangle, Circle against Bag

Stretch

Got a wild hair today. 'twas awesome fun.

Saturday - 02/17/07 10:08 PM

Same as yesterday. Noticed my karate sessions are taking less total time. This, for me, is good and bad. Good in that I am improving in my conditioning along with technique. Bad in that I feel best with around 10 hours ish [2 hours a day, 5 days a week] karate weekly.

So, I will be adding in a tiny bit more kata training, plus bringing a much bigger focus to studying the breakdown of the kata.

Re: Saturday - 02/18/07 01:42 PM

Question, are you training Karate on your own?

Re: Saturday - 02/18/07 10:50 PM

Quote:

Question, are you training Karate on your own?

Nah. I am still under my instructor, and get to work out with he, my assistant instructor, and my peers on a semi-regular basis.

I don't include those classes (Tues & Thurs nights, 7 to 8) in my blog as I don't really record them on my own.

Monday - 02/19/07 10:31 PM

Regular Warmup, then

1Arm DB Snatch (1ADBS): 5x5 - 40, 45, 50, 50, 55

Lunging Step-Up (LSU): 5x5 - 35 (5x5 on left leg, 5x8 on right)

Angled Glute-Ham Raise (Hyper): 5x5 - 60, 65, 70, 75, 75

[superset]
Chinups: 5x5 , 5x5 (superset 5x5 w/below, 1st 5 sets single)

Overhead Dumbbell Press: 5x5 - 40s, 45s, 50s, 50s, 50s

1 Arm Cable Rip-Down (To Anatomical Position): 3x5 - 40

Kneeling Cable Crunch: 5x5 - 80, 90, 100, 110, 110

Last Week + Monday - 02/26/07 10:36 PM

Had to work a 12 hour shist today, so had to be quick but effective.

1Arm DB Snatch (1ADBS): 5x5 - 40, 45, 50, 55, 55

[superset]

Got all my workouts last week, just too lazy to post them.

Hopefully, the same this week.

Time to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday - 03/01/07 05:02 PM

2x10 Reverse Hypers

Seisan Bunkai
Two-Man

Seisan
Seiunchin
Sanchin
Naihanchi
Wansu
Chinto
Kusanku
Sunsu

Chizi kun bo
Kusanku Sai

Sunsu - 2x5, 1x10
Naihanchi - 2x5, 1x10

Stance Transition & Hold: 2 Minutes Each

Ready Position, ==>
Left Forward Seisan, ==>
Right Forward Seisan, ==>
[step back to]Shiko Dachi [hold 5 Minutes], ==>
Naihanchi, ==>
Left Forward Sanchin, ==>
Right Forward Sanchin, ==>
Left Forward Zenkutsu, ==>
Right Forward Zenkutsu, ==>
[step back to] Ready Position

Sunsu - 2x4
Naihanchi - 2x4

Footwork Drills -

Crescent/Seisan Stepping
Shuffle [in Forward Seisan, then Side]
Skip
Shuffle-Shuffle-Crescent
Forward/Back Movement
Wansu-Inspired
Triangle, Circle against Bag

Stretch

Wednesday - 03/01/07 05:03 PM

Everything from Tuesday, but no second run on Sunsu or Naihanchi - had to get to work.

Thursday - 03/01/07 05:06 PM

1Arm DB Snatch (1ADBS): 5x5 - 40, 45, 50, 55, 55

[superset]

Tried to stay somewhat lighter than normal this week, WRT weights.

Next week, will have a 3rd movement for upper and lower body, And one additional ab movement.

For karate, will be starting more in-depth kata study. Taking my least favorite sections from Sunsu and a few of the other forms, and working them in different ways. First, will focus on overall flow, then application, application against manual resistance, then will work the concepts and technical movements in with my in-class sparring.

Re: Thursday - 03/02/07 01:55 AM

Keep at it.

Friday, Sat, all this week - 03/09/07 10:01 PM

Fri and Sat, standard stuff. Good workouts, felt like I'm making technical and conditioning improvements.

This week, figured out that the Lunging Step-Ups, regular step-ups, etc, are causing my some severe back irritation. Sadness, as I love single-leg work. Hopefully, should be able to get back to these in a few weeks.

Re: Friday, Sat, all this week - 03/17/07 11:45 AM

Three of six sessions this week - two karate, one lift. Trying to get my back up to par.

Nutrition-wise, I've been lowering total protein intake, increasing carbs. I'm stopping this. Have noted an increase in back pain, headaches, and decrease in energy. Will be back up to 200g of protein, about 50-60g of carbs, both by monday.

Monday - 03/27/07 10:15 PM

Finally in the gym again.

Regular Warmup, then

1Arm DB Snatch (1ADBS): 5x5 - 40, 45, 50, 50, 55
Angled Glute-Ham Raise (Hyper): 5x5 - 60, 65, 70, 70, 70

[superset]
Chinups: 5x6 , 5x6 (superset 5x5 w/below, 1st 5 sets single)

Alternating Overhead Dumbbell Press: 5x5 - 40s, 40s, 45s, 45s, 45s

Kneeling Cable Crunch: 5x5 - 90, 100, 100, 110, 110

Stretching

Overall, was good for taking the time off I did.

Little irritation in my back.

Tuesday and Wednesday - 03/28/07 11:49 PM

Just my standard warmup tues. Back felt great, but was uber-fatigued from monday.

Wed, nothing. Felt sick all day. Back still good.

Hope for the best on Thursday. Hopefully, I'll get to teach the kid's again. I miss being the center of attention.

Re: Tuesday and Wednesday - 03/29/07 11:33 AM

Been fighting a stomach type of flue that seems to only affect me in the mornings. Hope you get better Stampede.

Re: Tuesday and Wednesday - 03/29/07 02:20 PM

Sorry to hear you're still sick, Stampede. I know the feeling. I just got back from a doctor's visit, and the bronchitis I thought I had was actually pertussis (whooping cough). Symptoms is adults typically last 3 months.

Joy!

Take it easy and get better.

Ugh. - 04/05/07 10:01 PM

Many thanks for the support!

I've been chaoticly scheduled lately. In the past two weeks, I've missed five or so workouts because of my back. Severe cramping and associated muscular fatigue made walking a tiring experience.

I have been informed I will NOT be competing in the Sabaki. Impact training (bagwork primarily) is to be done no more than once a week. No taking throws or takedowns. Sparring is fine, so long as I don't hit the floor. Grappling is, of course, scratched.

Fun fun.

Can't stop, though. I might be a paper tiger for a little while, but only 'til this back stuff gets straightened out (pun intended).

Will start daily updates again on Monday. Going to try my Fri and Sat workouts this week.

Monday - 04/09/07 10:36 PM

Decent warm-up, then

Dumbbell Pull and Catch: 5x5 - 30, 40, 45, 50, 55
Reverse Glute-Ham Raise: 5x5 - BW, 60, 65, 70, 70

Chin-Ups: 5x6 [superset w/AODBP], 5x6
Alternating Overhead DB Press: 5x5 - 40s, 45s, 50s, 50s, 45s

Stretch

Cable crunches caused irritation in my back, so I'm moving off them for right now. Thursday, will try hanging leg raises.

Tuesday - 04/10/07 10:26 PM

Good stuff today.

Seisan Bunkai
Two Man (Both Sides)

15 Upper Body Basics
10 Lower Body Basics (4 right, 2 left)

Seisan
Seiunchin
Sanchin
Naihanchi
Wansu
Chinto
Kusanku
Sunsu

Chizi Kun Bo
Kusanku Sai

Bo-Bo Kumite (Four Drills)
Tokumine no Kun

Sunsu - 2x5, 1x10 - Different Speeds, focus areas.
Naihanchi - 2x10 - Different Speeds, focus areas.

Kusanku Sai

Stretching

No complaints.

I Still Live - 05/03/07 08:07 PM

Had to cut intensity, duration, and frequency of my workouts for a few weeks. Getting back to my general conditioning. Changed lifties days to wednesday and saturday for more fatigue-free karate days.