Routine Tweak

Posted by: JoelM

Routine Tweak - 10/31/06 10:05 AM

Not changing things up really, I just want to set a more(or less) solid schedule for myself.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Sunday-weights (deadlift/squat/overhead press/pullup)
Monday-technique/bagwork/forms (low-med intensity)
Tuesday-cardio (bagwork, HIIT, not sure yet)
Wednesday-weights
Thursday-technique
Friday-cardio
Saturday-rest

Optional to take off one cardio session per week depending on how I feel. Trying to put in stretching/yoga most days to work on flexibility as well.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here. What say you?
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Routine Tweak - 10/31/06 02:29 PM

You're doing deadlift and squat on the same day? Good luck with that
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Routine Tweak - 10/31/06 07:59 PM

Not impossible Joel but you may burn out with that or may not get a quality enough workout on the next lift. What you may wish to do is alternate one day with Deadlifts and have the other day with Squats ... that way your workouts are slightly different each time. Also I've found that doing too much every day starts to eat at you even if it is only for an hour or so. What I'd suggest, and you make the call, but try to make sure you have "2 full days" to yourself without having to do anything. Your body as you get older will thank you and you will enjoy the time off.

Re: Routine Tweak - 10/31/06 11:03 PM

I can alternate the squats and deads during the week if that will be better.
Should I do two completely different routines, or just alternate the one leg lift? Also, should I add something else in since I'm taking out one lift each day?

I thought about having only 1 rest day as well. I think I'm going to try it that way for a while, but not be completely strict about it. If I need a day off, I'll take it. If I start taking a lot of days off I'll just cut back to 5 days per week. I think if I eat right and get enough sleep I'll be fine with 6 days.

Speaking of sleep....

Re: Routine Tweak - 11/01/06 11:19 AM

Another possibility, two completely different weight routines once a week?

They could work the same muscles, but different lifts. Or split the muscle groups?

Re: Routine Tweak - 11/01/06 01:48 PM

That is certainly an idea and I've used it before. Less likely for your muscles to adapt and by doing something different the other day you won't get bored as fast.

Re: Routine Tweak - 11/01/06 10:46 PM

Any ideas to help me out? I'm a big n00b when it comes to lifting.

Re: Routine Tweak - 11/02/06 01:55 AM

It depends what you are looking for Joel and how much time you want to put into it. Are you seeing results with this workout? If you are don't really change too much right now. If your body can handle the Deadlifts and the Squats and you feel good with it then go with the flow. Try it and then compare it to just doing the Squat or the Deadlift. If you notice a difference then make the necessary change but you make the call on facts. And if you want to alternate the Deadlifts one day and the Squats the other then this is a viable solution. Keep things simple and just change out this exercise and hold on to the rest. Later when you are not making any progress then think about changing things then. Basically keep it simple, work till no progress and then change things up. Hope that helps and if not throw up your questions and lets re-review and get things sorted out.

Re: Routine Tweak - 11/02/06 08:36 AM

Well I've only been back at it for 2 weeks since my break due to moving. I guess I'll give it some more time. I'm basically at where I left off before then. I'll probably try just squats and just deadlifts on different days next week and see how it goes. I've been feeling pretty good with doing them together up until now.

I've also been trying to think of a different cardio/HIIT routine, but I'm going to go back to what I was doing beforehand. I'm a little gunshy because of what happened to my foot (plus it's just a dang hard workout!!), but I'll either wear shoes or just suck it up.

Thanks, Dereck.

Re: Routine Tweak - 11/03/06 01:09 PM

Or....I've been thinking. What about sqitching the jump-rope portion of my HIIT for sprints? I've got a yard now, also a sidewalk along the road.

Anybody?

Re: Routine Tweak - 11/03/06 01:17 PM

No expert when it comes to this but sprinting is definitely a good routine. Cord will most certainly have more to say and will add on things to make the sprinting more beneficial. Perhaps sprinting to the length of your yard and then jog back and do this 10 times. Or perhaps divide up your yard into section and do lines. Run to the first one and run back, run to the next one and run back ... continue till you are all of the way to the end and run back and repeat for how many you can do.

These are many things we do for warming up in class. We will also throw in when you get back to the start you have to do clapping push ups, v-ups, monkey jumps, squat thrusts or a combination of all or some just to make things more difficult.

Just some ideas but perhaps wait for the big guy to chime in.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Routine Tweak - 11/03/06 04:28 PM

Sunday-weights (squat and overhead press)
Monday-technique/forms (low-med intensity)
Tuesday-cardio (HIIT)
Wednesday-Technique or full rest
Thursday-Weights
Friday-cardio (steady 30-50 mins)
Saturday-rest

I dont see a problem with the above, but would change the volume a little to allow for the 6 day frequency. HIIT is great, but i can understand you being nervous of hurting your little piggies again when going at full speed

You could always combine some compound work and bag work into a HIIT routine. This would free up some time for rest and ensure you had energy left to devote to your forms/technique work on other days. having done one HIIT session in the week, you could work some steady state jogging/cycling for your second cardio session of the week

HIIT session:
1.Deadlift Burpees- put a weight that you can get 12-15 deadlifts with on your barbell. Take an overhand grip slightly wider than shoulder width. Now kick your feet out behind you into a push up position, push up chest to bar and back, then hop into the address position and deadlift the weight up. thats one rep. You need to keep going to burnout, keeping good continuous pace with crisp technique.
4 sets with 60-90 seconds recovery should be fine
2.Bag work: 1 minute rounds- full power, good guard, full speed one minute all out bursts, punches, kicks, whatever you want, just make sure its all out ball$ to the wall exertion 6-8x 1 minute rounds with 60 seconds rest between sets.

Thats it. HIIT in a small space.

Weights

You do overhead squat, so it makes sense to group these with your shoulder press, if you can get the bar up safely, then 5x5 for the squat, if not, then as heavy and as low number of full deep reps as you can do safely for 5 sets.
Shoulder press 5x5

second weights workout will be deadlift and pullups, again, 5x5 if possible, adapt where necessary.

Overview
What your initial week plan ends up looking like is this:

Sunday-weights (squat and overhead press)
Monday-technique/forms (low-med intensity)
Tuesday-cardio (HIIT)
Wednesday-Technique or full rest
Thursday-Weights
Friday-cardio (steady 30-50 mins)
Saturday-rest

that is my take on it, but as always, just a suggestion, there is nothing wrong with how you had it in the first place

Re: Routine Tweak - 11/03/06 05:07 PM

That sounds pretty good, Cord. The 2-lift workouts will be weird. I guess it'll let me work on stretching and warming up a little more. I'll give this a go starting Sunday!! woo-hoo