How to: Make a $5 medicine ball

Posted by: AndrewGreen

How to: Make a $5 medicine ball - 09/25/06 02:09 PM

Medicine balls are a great addition to any workout, esspecially in the martial arts. I imagine just about every boxing gym has a bunch of them lieing around, but martial arts clubs often lack them. They are great for ab work, plyometric training, and general next morning soreness inducing. Problem is, they can get pretty pricey, so here is a easy, cheap alternative that makse a good, sturdy medicine ball.

http://innovativema.ca/forum/view.php?pg=buildamedicineball
Posted by: MattJ

Re: How to: Make a $5 medicine ball - 09/25/06 03:13 PM

Great post Andrew. I must confess I have never used one. Is there a particular routine you like with them?
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: How to: Make a $5 medicine ball - 09/25/06 03:54 PM

I made one like this before but it broke. It was great for throwing around and doing russian twists.
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: How to: Make a $5 medicine ball - 09/25/06 04:29 PM

No particular routine, just a lot of different things. All of which get met with grumbles

Not sure I can explain many in text alone, perhaps I'll get the camera out and shoot some pictures, but here is a few things to try:

Lie down on your back, ball above your head, arms straight. Keep your arms straight above your head and stand up. Lie back down keeping them up there. Repeat.

Situps - Have someone pass you the ball, go down, throw it back to them on the way up.

Play catch. Straight from the chest push off, pass back and forth.

Make a circle, facing in or out. Don't move your feet, pass the ball around. Add enough balls to keep the pace quick

One person in the middle, facing forward, one on each side. Have the side people pass the ball in, middle person twists to catch, twists all the way to the other side, and then back throwing it back to the same person. Don't move your arms, throw entirely from the twist and the legs simulating a hook. Other person throws the ball in as soon as the first one is thrown out.

One hand on the ball, pushups, jump back and forth between which hand is on the ball.

Both hands on the ball pushups.

Squat jumps.

Lots of fun things, be creative, but make sure it's not something that will do harm
Posted by: Borrek

Re: How to: Make a $5 medicine ball - 09/25/06 08:13 PM

Quote:

Great post Andrew. I must confess I have never used one. Is there a particular routine you like with them?

My personal favorite is to do pushups with the ball under one hand. It makes for better balance and coordination, as well as being a real butt kicker on the pecs. I usually do it at the end of my workout and can only barely squeak out 5 pushups with each side,
Posted by: Crash

Re: How to: Make a $5 medicine ball - 09/25/06 08:35 PM

Good post! Our club has lot's of these homemade medicine balls, a full sized basketball will make up to a 25lbs medicine ball. Ours are completely wrapped with a couple layers of duct tape so they can be dropped,thrown etc.
Posted by: crablord

Re: How to: Make a $5 medicine ball - 09/26/06 11:37 AM

I never understood what medicine balls did, they always make us pass them to eachoher at boxing as well as other bizzare exercises.. but what does basketball style passsing do for you ???
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: How to: Make a $5 medicine ball - 09/26/06 12:31 PM

lol
u can use them for anything, working specific muscles conditioning the body

here u go crablord enjoy and i hope u have a read

medicine ball
Posted by: crablord

Re: How to: Make a $5 medicine ball - 09/26/06 12:44 PM

k that explains it