Strength Gain

Posted by: installer_swan

Strength Gain - 09/10/06 03:56 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting training, and am mainly looking forward to some strength gain and generally getting fitter before I join Taekwondo classes next in January. I've never seriously trained before although I used to do a lot of running. My main concern is upper body and arms. Right now I can barely manage around 10 push ups before giving out, and simply can't do a single one with my hands together. I wanted to know if this will just get better with some more practice and if so, roughly how long will it take? What would be the best exercise routine for me, if I can spare around an hour a day for working out?

Thank you very much for your help and advice
Posted by: crablord

Re: Strength Gain - 09/10/06 04:02 AM

hehe, about a year ago i could only manage 10. I find the best way to improve pushup capability is to do as many as you can twice a day, then each day add 5 more to that number, in about two months I could do 50. Try doing that.
Posted by: Benjamin

Re: Strength Gain - 09/10/06 06:23 AM

Yup. Your push-up count will get better with practise.

Your routine:
Do as many sets of push-ups until you get 30.
Do as many sets of crunches until you get 50.
Do as many sets of one-legged assisted squat until you get 15.

When you can do the above reps in one set, you should really start to consider joining a gym.

All the best.

Re: Strength Gain - 09/10/06 09:58 AM

Thanks Benjamin, and Crablord. I'll follow that routine and let you guys know when things improve.

Couple of questionsmore: Right now I suppose I should just do all these exercises daily and not bother too much about resting body parts and working out other parts etc, right? That's what I'm doing, I just want to be sure that that's ok.

I can do 50 crunches with my hands parallel to my body, but only 20 or so if I have my hands folded behind my head, so should I get better at doing it with my hands behind my head, or just try to keep getting more reps the other way?

I'm not sure if this last question belongs in this forum, but don't know where else it belong. Are there any specific exercise to improve speed, such as shadow boxing etc, any advice/links to simple instructions to exercises I can perform all by myself?

Thanks again
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Strength Gain - 09/10/06 10:26 AM

Here is an excellent, very comprehensive thread on Body weight excercises:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15833023/an/0/page/0#15833023

Most of the other training items you mentioned will be taken care of in class. A good instructor knows that many people start with little or no experience with MA or the conditioning training that goes with it.

It will all come with time, my friend.

Re: Strength Gain - 09/10/06 10:18 PM

Quote:

Couple of questionsmore: Right now I suppose I should just do all these exercises daily and not bother too much about resting body parts and working out other parts etc, right? That's what I'm doing, I just want to be sure that that's ok.

Nope, do a full-body workout every 1 or 2 days depending on your recovery rate. Since this is the first time you are doing conditioning, I am predicting DOMS after your first session. Enjoy! LOL.

Quote:

I can do 50 crunches with my hands parallel to my body, but only 20 or so if I have my hands folded behind my head, so should I get better at doing it with my hands behind my head, or just try to keep getting more reps the other way?

Always do the harder variation as that is what that taxes your body.

Quote:

I'm not sure if this last question belongs in this forum, but don't know where else it belong. Are there any specific exercise to improve speed, such as shadow boxing etc, any advice/links to simple instructions to exercises I can perform all by myself?

The speed will come by itself through martial arts training. The routine I suggested will give you the basic conditioning.

Eat well, rest well. With consistency and determination, you may be able to reach the goals within 1 month. Then, come here again, and we will give you a proper strength routine.

Re: Strength Gain - 09/11/06 04:56 AM

Quote:

I am predicting DOMS after your first session. Enjoy! LOL.

Had to google that, but yeah, that's there. Luckily I started with the crunches earlier so now thare's just some pain in the thighs and arms, but that's normal/fine I suppose.

Quote:

Eat well, rest well. With consistency and determination, you may be able to reach the goals within 1 month. Then, come here again, and we will give you a proper strength routine.

I hope, I'll be back for that advice soon.

Thanks y'all for all the advice, now I think the only thing is to keep at the training regularly.

Re: Strength Gain - 09/13/06 03:11 PM

I'm posting this in this thread, because I think it's better for me to not spam the forum with my newbie questions. I've been following the advice and roughly worked up to a point where I can do 12~13 pushups in good form and a couple more agonizingly to reach the 15, but One trouble is I think somehow, my right hand takes up more weight than the left, even when I keep my hands symmetrically about my body, and raise myself maintaining equal level the right side takes up more weight, and my right chest muscle feels slightly sore. Can I do anything to correct this imbalance, other than consciously trying to maintain equal weight on both arms? Is it natural to have one arm weaker than the other?

Thanks,

Re: Strength Gain - 09/13/06 10:59 PM

Workout in front of a mirror so you could watch your form. See that your body is parallel to the ground to prevent any limb from taking more weight.