Routine for 2 hours

Posted by: Alex89

Routine for 2 hours - 08/25/06 09:11 PM

Well, basically, I signed up for weight training in college (for phys. ed.), and the class lasts 2 hours! And my routine that I do at home usually lasts from 45 min to an hour, and if I did that in class I will be wasting 1 hour and probably lose marks. So I was wondering if you guys could give me a routine that lasts for about one hour and thirty minutes to 2 hours? I will be doing the two hours on mondays at school and I am planning to do 1 hour at home on fridays, so could you guys please help me with this and give me a routine for monday anmd friday (I would rather do squats and bench press at home).And how many minutes should I rest between sets? I'm looking to gain mass (I'm switiching for strength in December. Thanks in advance!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/25/06 10:18 PM

There is no way that a 2 hour weights routine is going to be anything less than counterproductive. After 45-60 mins of intense weight training, continuing beyond that becomes a downright hinderance to positive adaption.

If your phys ed teachers have not read any research on effective resistance training since 1968, that is there problem, but I am not going to give you a 2 hour routine that will lead to overtraining and injury.

The best advice I can give is to Pad out the time with a prolongued warm up, stretching, and a long cooldown and developmental stretching.

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/25/06 10:23 PM

Alright thanks Cord. I guess I will have to talk with my phys. ed. teacher about how more than one hour training is bad for you. I hope he doesn't get mad lol

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/27/06 09:37 AM

Telling your teacher they are wrong is seldom productive, i would not advise it. does the gym session include cardio machinery? if so, you could do 5 mins low intensity cardio between bodyparts as 'active recovery' (bit dull, but valid), this would pad out your 45 mins strength routine just fine, and avoid a showdown you are just not going to win.
if there is no cardio machinery, then inbetween bodyparts, do some ab work and deep stretching of the area you have just worked.

Pad it out and keep the peace
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/27/06 01:22 PM

Good suggestion Cord and I agree it would not be best to question your teacher. When I first started working out I had built myself up to doing stomach crunches in between my benches. Then at the end of my workout I would do a circuit of 4 of upper, lower, butt and obliques. My workouts ended up being 2 hours. Just be creative and you will be able to fill in the gaps with something. I agree, some type of cardio machine would be best though but do what you can.

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/27/06 03:15 PM

The active recovery sounds good, but do I have to do it between each set? Right now I'm aiming to gain mass, so my breaks between sets are 2 min. One more thing, active recovery is basically just jogging in a treadmill, right?

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/27/06 05:11 PM

You would be working too hard if you were jogging. Better to slow cycle or brisk walk for 4 mins between sets, the theory being that it helps clear lactic acid and allows full repayment of oxygen debt whilst preventing cooldown between sets.

Makes 5 sets of 5 on bench, squat and deads take around 1 hour 15 mins. Add some stretches and abs as warm up/cooldown and you will be up to an hour 40 mins easily.

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/27/06 06:58 PM

Would this still work for gaining mass( right now i'm doing the 5*8 routine), doing the 4 min slow cycling between each set? This is beside the question I just asked, but in my routine I do 5*8 reps for my smaller muscles, but for my squats and deadlifts I do 5*5 reps, so is this good for gaining mass while gaining strength?

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/28/06 02:46 AM

My bad, for mass 6-12 reps is preferable, and your rest period should be shorter.

For your active recovery do 8 mins low intensity cardio between bodyparts.

Going heavier on core compound movements is fine if you enjoy it, but by adding volume on top of a pure 5x5 system, you will not get the strength increase you could expect from doing it exclusively.

A good middle ground for mass and strength is 'pyramid training'.

Your first set of each exercise should be 12 reps with a weight you could do 15 reps all out with.

Over the next 3 sets you increase weight in moderate increments so that you final set is with the greatest weight (these 3 sets are all to failure)

It would be something like this:

1x12
1x8-10
1x6-8
1x4-6

If you keep good form this is a truly brutal way to train, and will give splendid increase in both size and strength when applied to compound lifts.
Posted by: Benjamin

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/28/06 07:36 AM

Cord's suggestion is not bad, although I wouldn't recommend stretching between sets as it weakens the muscle.

Another way of doing it longer could be supersetting with a twist.

Example:
Benchpress
some ab work in between or what they called active recovery
Rows
and so on so forth...
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/28/06 08:11 AM

Well, my physio having got me to do loads of stretching, I think you can easily pad out to 2 hours just by adding stretching. It's just pretty dull, but far more productive. I do roughly 45 min weight sesions, but my stretching takes an extra 45 mins to an hour. Here's how I structure my workout:

Dynamic Joint Mobility exercises - we're talking about light dynamic stretching; leg raises, arm circling, trunk twists, etc. 10-15 repetitions of each.

Lifting session - the usual hardcore shizzle!

Snack - don't forget your PWO snack; get it in before stretching so you can refuel your starving body.

Stretching - we're talking about relatively light static stretching. If 1 is no pain and 10 is horrific, think about 5. Hold each position for 40 seconds and do sets on them. For instance, this is what I'm currently doing (sets are for each leg where applicable):

(sets*seconds)
3*40 Standing Quad Stretch
3*40 Sitting Ham Stretch
3*40 Hip Strech
3*40 Glute Strech
3*40 Standing back stretch
3*40 arm/upper back stretch
4*40 step calf stretch
3*40 chest stretch

That takes about 25-30 mins, often more because of changing position.
Then, if you don't walk home, get 5 minutes at a very light pace on a cross-trainer for a full-body cool down.

I know it's not comprehensive, but hope it helps

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/28/06 10:55 AM

Quote:

Cord's suggestion is not bad, although I wouldn't recommend stretching between sets as it weakens the muscle.

thats a new one on me, but i am old and things move on

Deep Stretching is an old bodybuilding trick to develop the fascia of the muscle in the hope of aiding overall development. The guys in the 60's and 70's used to use gymnastic stretches like 'skin the cat' inbetween sets of chest work to increase the 'pump' and 'broaden' the chest. in hindsight, all it did was prevent tightness in the shoulders and promote good posture, but either way, it helped.
Try getting a bodybuilder to do a 'proper' cooldown or stetching for 'wellbeing'- not going to happen.

put a spin on it, add the magic words 'mass' and 'increase' and voila, deep fascia stretching all over the place.

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/28/06 05:46 PM

How much time should I rest between the pyramid sets? And for the non-compound exercises would the 5 *8 apply? One more thing, if I switched to pure 5*5 do you think that I will pack on some mass? And if I did do abs between my sets, wouldn't that overwork them? Sorry for asking so much questions, but the more and more I do weights, the more I get confused

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/29/06 04:58 AM

Quote:

How much time should I rest between the pyramid sets?

90-120 seconds

Quote:

And for the non-compound exercises would the 5 *8 apply?

it depends on volume and frequency of training. If you do a body split where a bodypart gets worked only once a week, then 8-12 sets total is about right. If you train the whole body in one workout 2-3 times per week, then you decrease the volume accordingly (ie. a 4 set pyramid would be enough on its own, with no further exercises required)

Quote:

One more thing, if I switched to pure 5*5 do you think that I will pack on some mass?

No. 5x5 is a system designed to stimulate and promote strength and power increase. any mass increase is incidental, and not the primary goal of the training.

Training to failure with reps between 6 and 12 is a system designed to stimulate and promote muscle growth. any strength increase is incidental, and not the primary goal of the training.

are powerlifters muscular? yes. Would they care if they weren't. No, they would prefer to be as light as possible.

Are bodybuilders strong? yes. Would they care if they werent? No, if tiny little weights built muscle they would use them.

you get the point?

Quote:

And if I did do abs between my sets, wouldn't that overwork them?

If you ony did a slow 15 crunches it would add 30-40 seconds between sets without putting great strain on your abs- you are looking to pad out a 2 hour weights workout here remember, so none of this is ideal. Ideal would be 45 mins hard intense training, then getting credit for eating recovery foods and having a 30 min 'power nap' in the remaining hour and 15 mins

Quote:

Sorry for asking so much questions, but the more and more I do weights, the more I get confused

Welcome to the world of training. There are thousands of theories, routines, rep ranges, and exercises out there.

There are strip sets, supersets, giant sets, pre-exhaustion, point of flexion, 21's, forced reps, negatives, forced negatives, superslow, partials, reverse pyramid, cheat reps, and more.

Then there are macro cycles, micro cycles, am/pm splits, total body workouts through to 6 day splits.

Then add to this the choice of compound, isolation, machine, free weight, and bodyweight exercises.

That is a very simplified list of the potential variations you will encounter, and all those variations will have worked for somebody

The simple common thread running through it all is a comforting one: If you eat well and lift weights in any way at all, you will most likely get stronger and more muscular. How you find what works best for you is largely down to trial and error and listening to your body. That is why you must have patience and enjoy the training for itself, not purely the results.

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/29/06 06:06 PM

Thanks a bunch for helping me!
Posted by: Benjamin

Re: Routine for 2 hours - 08/29/06 10:27 PM

By stretching, I mean static stretching. Static stretching forces target muscle to relax, temporarily making it weaker. It also reduces bloodflow to muscle as well as central nervous system activity.

Here's the deal. Do static stretching anytime, but before and during a workout.