Weight Gain

Posted by: EvilKi

Weight Gain - 08/01/06 12:58 AM

Hey guys first let me apoligize if this is somewhat noobish of a post. However I have a few questions and after reading the advice to use the search function I came up with a lot of nothing. I am 19 and I weigh 140lbs. My question is are there any ways that I can substantially gain weight/muscle without the use of free weights/gym. I cant currently afford a gym membership as college is very expensive. My doctor tells me I have a very fast metabolism and am know as a hard gainer. Does anyone on the forums have a similar body type, and if so do you have any suggestions on how to gain some serious weight, roughly 15-20 lbs would be ideal without just packing on a belly. I understand that free weights can substantially help, but as of right now they are just out of the question. So any reccomendations at all to my endless babling, just done countless hours of research and continually come up with nothing. Again guys thank you very much for your time, in reading such a long post.
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: Weight Gain - 08/01/06 02:01 AM

If you're not lifting weights you're just going to gain fat.
Posted by: Landus

Re: Weight Gain - 08/01/06 07:27 AM

Hehe this post reminds me hugely of myself. There are 3 different bodytypes Evil, we are of the same (we both have a high metabolism rate).

From what I have learnt;

1. Eat enough calories
This is like one of the most effective ways to get bigger providing you mix it with good exercise. Start eating small meals every 2-3 hours.

2. PROTEIN
Totally important. Eat enough protein; chicken breast, cheese, peanut butter throughout your life and make sure you eat enough protein (but don't cram it in) before and after workouts.

If you can't go to the gym or get weights then use your bodyweight. There's a great post above this one about bodyweight exercises. But your going to need a suitable workout timetable. I'm sure everyone else has loads more info for you but I tried by best, goodluck.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Weight Gain - 08/01/06 08:28 AM

Evil -

Did you check these:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15833023/an/0/page/0#15833023

Re: Weight Gain - 08/01/06 06:05 PM

Thank you guys, I am sure I just missed the body weight post on account of my eyes were on fire from so much research yesterday. MattJ thank you for bringing it to my atention, definitely gives me a good place to start. Landus I must say thank you for the advice, I have posted on a few diff fitness sites only to get flamed and people saying your always going to be skinny deal with it, instead of offering any real constructive advice. So again Landus let me say thank you, I currently weigh 135-140 im 5'7 19 years old, Landus by some chance could you give me a rough est of how many calories I should be at to start gaining?:J%

Again Thanks guys, nice to be on a site were people offer help instead of hindrance.
Posted by: opt123

Re: Weight Gain - 08/21/06 08:42 AM

I would say around 2500.

Maybe this link will help you.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek25.htm
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Weight Gain - 08/23/06 03:56 PM

Quote:

Landus by some chance could you give me a rough est of how many calories I should be at to start gaining?:J%

I'll just jump in here and state plainly that there is no way for us to know, without meeting you and running tests. Internet forms only work up to a point, and are generally useless as they lack the accuracy required to actually be of any real use.

If you want to gain weight, eat more. It really is that simple. 90% of 'hardgainers' I talk to just don't eat enough. If you eat enough, you will grow. People like Frank Zane are what would be classed 'hardgainer' body types, yet look at the guy - he ate plenty, trained hard and (with the *ahem* 'aid' of modern medicine) gained muscle mass. Eat more than you burn, you'll grow. The only thing stopping you here is your willingless to actually sit down and swallow that food down. I sound like a broken record, so I'll stop .

Just don't expect great advances with bodyweight. Sure, you can make progress, but resistance is resistance and there comes a point at which the resistance your body provides just ain't enough.

Re: Weight Gain - 08/29/06 02:24 AM

Tim I appreciate your response thank you, and that was far from rambling. I understand what your saying, and it sucks about body weight and only going so far as I enjoy it more then free weight, and body weight doesnt cost me anything, being a broke college student. About the eating thing, I eat alot, my mom thinks there is something wrong with me by how much i eat, my friends think I am messed in the head saying i need to gain weight when they see me eat two full meals and most cant even eat half of their plate...

thanks again Tim, I think I'll take your advice as you have the same first name as me and eat more lmao.

Anyways thanks again Tim.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Weight Gain - 08/29/06 04:19 AM

The most important thing here is not so much how much you eat, but what you eat. if you are a naturaly skinny guy (the one who gets through a big christmas and comes out the other side on the same hole in your belt), then you need regular intake of complex carbohydrates and 'good' fatty acids, along with ample (but not excessive) protein.
invest in a big bottle of flax or olive oil, and as much rice as you can fit in your cupboard. Cook up 600gramms of rice per day and devide it into 4 150 gram portions. To each portion add a tablespoon of oil and a source of protein (if money is a problem, go with tinned tuna or hard boiled eggs). Thats 4 meals ready to go. Eat one every 3 hours along with some fruit (go for banana's- lots of energy in em).

this will provide a constant stream of nutrients throughout the day, making it unnecessary for your body to burn muscle as fuel (catabolism).

Your results will be slow, and not helped by your not using weights. Ideally you should be lifting big and basic 2-3 times per week to see some muscle growth.