Help with training

Posted by: Mucus

Help with training - 07/29/06 01:32 PM

Hey! It's Mike.
I'm 21 years old and weigh right around 185.
I would like to have a lot more development in my chest, abs, and legs.
As far as what I do now is machines(lats, biceps, triceps, abs, chest, quads, etc) at a gym as well as treadmills and cross-trainers.
I would like to use free weights, I am just afraid that since I have not had really ANY training in them I will get myself hurt.
Can anybody help?
~Mike
Posted by: Kazama

Re: Help with training - 07/29/06 01:57 PM

With freeweights, as long as you use proper form you don't need to worry. Plus, there better for functional strength. Go to the gym and find some sort of trainer to spot you and correct your form. He/She can probably answer all your questions about your problem areas.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Help with training - 07/29/06 03:05 PM

Injury from free weights is generally the cause of one of two things, too much weight, and momentum.

Having to use momentum to get a lift started or to finish it is really a consequence of too much weight, so while it is best to have an experienced partner, if you can't just make sure you don't try more than you can handle.

as far as working out the spots you mentioned, there are tons of exercises but it will all come back to squats, bench and deadlift. get good at those.

a quick note about free weights. when you first start, you will mostly be limited by very small stabilization muscles as opposed to the major muscles. With machines only, these muscles are not engaged like they will be with free range of motion. For example your squat will be limited by untrained core muscles and your form will be very wobbly and shaky. Your legs wont fully get into the game until your form become perfect. The same is true if you try dumbbell chest presses. The little muscles that stabilize your arms will not be up for the task so your arms will teeter all over the place. Make sure to use low weight until your form is rock solid. Be patient and work on form first and the rest will be easy on down the road

good luck, and remember bench squats deadlift, bench squats deadlift, bench squats deadlift

Re: Help with training - 07/29/06 03:33 PM

Quote:

Plus, there better for functional strength.

There is a place.
They're means they are.
(I'm a grammar freak, please take no offense)

Anyhoo, as long as I don't push myself too hard and I don't let the weights control me I should be in good shape, yes?
Cool thanks!

How about push-ups, crunches, etc? I do some as it is, but should I do more?
~Mike
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Help with training - 07/29/06 04:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Plus, there better for functional strength.

There is a place.
They're means they are.
(I'm a grammar freak, please take no offense)
~Mike

Actually, 'there' isn't a place, it's a word denoting relative ostensive definition.

Re: Help with training - 07/29/06 05:18 PM

Thank you Tim.
Posted by: Landus

Re: Help with training - 08/07/06 03:33 PM

After a lengthy search of about 10 minutes, I have decided that if I ever get to call a place something, it will be 'There'.

"Hey look over there! it's there! There!" or something like that.

So for all that care, there will finally be a place for us as in There as a place, not that I want a place for us?! hahahahaha

there.