Resting

Posted by: Kazama

Resting - 07/27/06 05:49 PM

It seems that even after a day of really hard training, I still wan't to go hard the next day, even though I know I need to rest. How do you guys convince yourself to reset?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Resting - 07/27/06 06:42 PM

I injure myself. Works every time.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Resting - 07/27/06 07:55 PM

Depends what I'm working out. If it is different muscles then okay but not the same muscles. In the beginning I could work out all of the time and even now sometimes I can but most times it will catch up to me ... especially with martial arts training during the week as well.

Then overtraining comes into play and that is followed by weakness, results going backwards, feeling ill, getting sick, and injuries ... and a whole lot of other effects that are not positive. If you can do so now then you need to ask yourself will it benefit you or not and then go from there. Everybody is different so what works for one won't work for another BUT if you lift smart you lift for life. You don't get too burned out as we all get this way one time or another.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Resting - 07/28/06 02:13 AM

Quote:

It seems that even after a day of really hard training, I still wan't to go hard the next day, even though I know I need to rest. How do you guys convince yourself to reset?

The key to this is understanding and accepting the simple fact that you get fitter and stronger when you rest not when you train. Training is the stimulus that tells the body it needs to change to be able to cope with this regular challenge. It needs rest time to go about making the changes happen.
You cant do a crossword whilst racing a car, and the body cant put energy and effort into physiological adaption whilst under the stress of exercise.

Work hard, rest well, improve.
Work hard, dont rest, burn out.

Doesnt get any simpler than that. train your body, not your ego.