cramping problem

Posted by: formless

cramping problem - 06/27/06 09:30 PM

heya guys,
latley ive been having a problem when im doing my cardio workout. i used to be able to jump rope around 400 times then jog for about 5 minutes etc etc. but lately i get real bad cramping in my entire midsection around the abs so badly that i have to stop. now, usually around the 200th time i jump rope i have to stop. cant even get to my running. i stretch well and make sure not to drink too much water and never drink any cold water. have i hit a wall i need to work through?does this mean i shud never do cardio ever again??!?!?!?!?
lol thanks for the anticipated fast responses
bob
Posted by: MattJ

Re: cramping problem - 06/28/06 10:46 AM

Hi Bob.

Cramping problems can be caused by many different things. Nutritional deficiencies (potassium, etc), not drinking enough water, improper warmup, and so on.

Have you changed anything about your routine that may coincide with the cramping problem? It is unlikely that your cardio is getting worse if you are working out regularly.

Check with your doctor if you are in doubt, or the problem persists.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: cramping problem - 06/28/06 11:39 AM

I would sometimes get cramps that would completely incapacitate me. My legs would lock in position and refuse to unlock because of the cramped muscle. I am not talking charlie horse, but cramps so large and so knotted, it felt like there was a stone the size of a grapefruit in my leg.

The only thing that has limited their occurrence has been making sure I drank enough water. I need to drink at least 40-64 ounces of water on any day I was going to push myself physically. If not, cramps. It was that simple for me. I hope you find the cause of yours and a method for dealing with them because I know how painful mine are and I would not wish them on anyone else.

Scottie
Posted by: kyokushinkai

Re: cramping problem - 06/28/06 03:21 PM

Quote:

I would sometimes get cramps that would completely incapacitate me. My legs would lock in position and refuse to unlock because of the cramped muscle. I am not talking charlie horse, but cramps so large and so knotted, it felt like there was a stone the size of a grapefruit in my leg.

The only thing that has limited their occurrence has been making sure I drank enough water. I need to drink at least 40-64 ounces of water on any day I was going to push myself physically. If not, cramps. It was that simple for me. I hope you find the cause of yours and a method for dealing with them because I know how painful mine are and I would not wish them on anyone else.

Scottie

I get a cramp like that almost every morning in my left calf muscle. It kind of locks my ankle in a downward position and I just sit their in pain for 10 or 15 minutes until I manage to pull it back up or get to the floor and put all my weight on it to unconstrict my calf. It's extremely annoying because it hurts the rest of the day.

It started a month or two ago and I asked my grandfather about it one day and he said he use to get them when he was younger to. Is it just some thing I'm going through or do I need to drink more water?
Posted by: Cord

Re: cramping problem - 06/28/06 05:10 PM

Hydrate well. Ensure you have 100% rda of calcium in your diet. Stretch well before your workout. Get your posture checked when skipping- impact work places postural strain on your core. Poor posture, poor sharing of workload between muscles, premature fatigue ensues.

Feel all over your abdominal wall, look for lumps and bumps- you may have the beginning of a small hernia.

If things persist, or you find a lump, go to your doc.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: cramping problem - 06/29/06 01:17 AM

Speaking of cramps...Almost everyday I get a cramp in the bottom of my left foot where the arch is. I stretch it out as best I can prior to my MA, drink plenty of water, have a great diet, yet it still persists. In my MA class another person has the same problem and just as consistant. He had it looked at years back and said some sort of medical term for it. He said there is basically nothing I can do other then stretch it out as best I can. He has been doing MA for years and still has this problem almost on a daily basis when he trains. Is there something that you guys recommend that maybe we dont know about? Do any of you know of that medical term?
Posted by: Cord

Re: cramping problem - 06/29/06 03:54 AM

Problems with the arch in the foot are common, especially amongst those who are active and do a fair bit of impact work. Go to your doc and let them have a look. It may be that you need inserts for your shoes to alleviate the problem and maintain the arch without your foot trying to maintain it through excessive muscle tension.
Also, when running/sparring/skipping, ensure you 'relax' your foot and maintain a natural footfall. Its easy to make 'fists' with your feet during such exercise, putting negative strain on the muscles of the foot.
Posted by: schanne

Re: cramping problem - 06/29/06 01:21 PM

I used to race motorcross way back and it was know remedy that we all drank penty of water and bananas before the race. The constant standing on the pegs and suspension pounding if you were not in shape would put your thighs in a real doozy of a cramp.