Eric's Workout Log

Posted by: Eric4444

Eric's Workout Log - 06/21/06 06:23 PM

Well, after a few weeks of experimentation I've settled on a lot on a routine.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
**2x8 Dips

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Power Cleans
**2x8 Chin-ups

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Wednesday -Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

I started today with workout B. My current lifts are:

Squat: 140
Standing Military: 65
Power Cleans: Didn't do today, having a friend teach me them next week.

Every workout each lift is being upped 5 pounds. On Tuesday and Thursday I'll do cardio.

My diet will be:

Breakfast 9:00 AM
2 egg whites...60 calories....12 grams protein....0 grams fat… 2 grams carbs
1 cup oatmeal...300 calories....10 grams protein...3 grams fat…54 grams carbs
2 slices wheat toast....160 calories...4 grams protein....0 grams fat…26 grams carbs
1 cup milk....110 calories....8 grams protein....2.5 grams fat…13 grams carbs

Snack #1 11:00 PM
˝ cup oatmeal 150 calories….5 grams protein….1.5 grams fat….22 carbs
Plain Yogurt 1 cup....137 calories...14 grams protein....0 grams fat….17 grams carbs
Protein Shake....370 calories...55 grams protein (12 grams BCAA)....6 g. fat…3 grams carbs

GYM 12:00

Snack #21:00
Weight Gainer....845 calories...41 grams protein...7 grams fat….6 grams carbs
Banana….200 calories….2 grams protein….1 gram fat….30 grams carbs

Lunch 2:00 PM
Chicken Breast 8 oz....220 calories...50 grams protein....2 grams fat….0 grams carbs
Brown Rice 1 cups...60 calories...12 grams protein...0 grams fat….140 grams carbs
Green Beans 1 cup....44 calories...2 grams protein...0 grams fat…8 grams carbs
1 cup milk....110 calories...8 grams protein....2.5 grams fat….13 grams carbs

Dinner 5:00 PM
Mother's choice, usually something good, pork chops, two vegetables, etc.

Snack #3 7:00
Protein Shake....370 calories...55 grams protein (12 grams BCAA)....6 g. fat…3 grams carbs

Snack #4 9:00
Cottage Cheese….116 calories….14 grams protein….5 grams fat….3 grams carbs
Protein Shake....370 calories...55 grams protein (12 grams BCAA)....6 g. fat….3 grams carbs

NONE of these totals count dinner since it varies. Slight variations may be made from day to day. Weight Gainer might be replaced with turkey and tuna on wheat with milk, small things like that so I don’t get bored with my food every day. I take fish oil with every big meal and flaxseed. I also snack on walnuts/mixed nuts through out the day and drink 1-2 gallons of water.
Calories...3678
Protein.... 342
Fat....40
Carbs…360

I will update my progress after every workout.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/21/06 09:33 PM

Ditch the weight gainer and have your lunch after your workout.
You need 2 protein shakes in the evening like a hole in the head, ditch them and have the cottage cheese around 7.30 pm instead.

your training is geared towards strength/power, yet your diet is geared towards mass/hypertrophy. Choose the right tools for the job.

Even Ronnie Coleman would get by on the amount of protein you intend to shovel into your body. You cannot process that much. The workouts look OK, but the diet is largely unnecessary, and will lead to you flushing money, and unprocessed protein, down the toilet.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/21/06 09:36 PM

I agree with Cord. The workout routine looks pretty good, but I would recommend losing the protein shakes as well.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/21/06 11:31 PM

Well according to the book that the routine comes from you're suppose to eat 3000-4000 calories a day. I'm actually looking to put on size over speed and power, size is my biggest goal right now, this routine has been praised over and over for being the best routine to put size on beginners. It of course is also geared towards large strength gains. What the routine is said to do is help you gain maximum size while gaining maximum strength, then by the time you stop gaining muscle on this routine, your strength will be much higher allowing you to do a harder body building routine.

However, the diet I definetly needed help on. Thank you Cord, I will ditch the shakes, save some cash.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/22/06 10:08 AM

3000-4000 calories eh? see how you go. The pages of a book should not be followed blindly. 3000-4000 calories is fine if you have great genes and a high metabolism, but lets put it this way, I train 6 days a week, weigh a lean 218lbs, and if I ate 3-4 thousand calories a day, I would look like the pilsbury doughboy. Be honest with yourself on this plan, if you see you are smoothing out and putting on inches at the waist, not the chest, calm you food intake down.

As for the training, if mass is your goal, I would tweak the rep range of your workouts to 6-8, going to momenatary failure on each set. It will give you better results.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/22/06 03:46 PM

hehe over 300 grams of protein? That's a little excessive, most of us will grow on a gram per lb of bodyweight Your commitment is admirable but, to be honest, you're going to get very bored of that diet very quickly... Mix it up a bit, don't get anal, and as Cord says, calorie guidelines are silly. I'll eat 3500 cals a day, at a lean 154lbs (man it feels good to say that) , but I'm a 17 y/o mesomorph with a metabolism like a hummingbird on coke

As far as a strength routine, I think the workout looks good - but for hypertrophy, up the rep ranges as Cord suggests. However, as I'm forever trying to tell myself, increased strength = increased capacity for hypertrophy. Besides, you're new to this so you could grow on pretty much anything.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're doing cardio, then it's going to be harder to grow. I mean, nothing you can't deal with, but if you're relatively fit already, you could consider ditching the cardio for a couple of months, or at least cutting it down a bit. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of us 'eager' people overdo the intensity on the cardio and end up overtraining. I'm very careful now not to go too heavy on the anaerobic endurance, and to keep my CNS in one piece for lifting and plyometrics.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/22/06 05:42 PM

Well according to what I read anyone whose skinny, with under a year of training can put on about a pound a week on this routine. I figure I'm going to do this routine until I have added 100 pounds to each lift. From there I'm going to move on to more of a body building routine.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/22/06 06:17 PM

I posted this earlier and it may or may not help

NUTRITION:

Eating properly is also important. It has been recommended, and I follow this practice, to eat 5 to 6 meals a day. These are not big meals but smart meals. What you would normally eat “to be fit” in a day, break up into 5 to 6 smaller meals. I’ll try to explain the reasoning behind this.

Take an average person who is fit and eats 3 meals a day like the normal population. When they eat their body will use whatever it needs for energy at that time and then the rest will be stored for energy later on … in other words fat. They continue on like this but for many this little bit of fat become more of a problem especially when they get older and their metabolism slows down and they cannot burn this energy/fat as effectively so it becomes more noticeable. Now by breaking these 3 meals down into 5 or 6 meals, your body can only use what energy is given and if it needs more it will need to use the energy that it has in store … fat. This is why I would suggest for even the average person who wishes to loose a few pounds to try this instead of a diet; cut back what you eat but eat smarter.

Now weight lifters will need to increase what they eat and one of the things you will need to increase is your protein intake. Now this can be done through foods or supplements but this will have to be your choice. You may find that the time to prepare something vs. the cost to purchase something goes one way or the other; you choose for you. I would also suggest after a heavy workout that immediately within an hour period that you take some protein and here is why.

The body has a built-in survival drug hormone called “cortisol”. Immediately following a high-intensity workout the body pumps this hormone whose function is to carry off protein to the liver where it converts it to glucose, which provides energy for the body. The longer and harder the workout the more cortisol is pumped. Why is this important to replenish protein? The largest supply of protein in your body is your muscles … so this is the first place attacked by the cortisol and why it is important to replenish the protein immediately. When the protein is destroyed in the muscles this is known as a “catabolic state”. Another reason that this is important is that our immune system is based on proteins and if this is attacked by the cortisol this can weaken our defense mechanisms.

Now how much protein does one need to take? The answer is not as much as you think you do. Non active people need .36 grams per pound of bodyweight per day. For an active person such as a weight lifter it is recommended that you need 0.6136 grams per pound of body weight per day. (i.e. 200 pound athlete would required 122.72 grams of protein per day). Remember more is not better when it comes to protein intake. In fact there are studies that show that excessive protein intake over extended periods of time can possibly seriously damage your liver or kidneys.

Here are some other factors of I have come up during my search for knowledge on weight lifting. This may vary from other sources and people but is a ”guideline”. Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for athletes. From 60-65% of your diet should be carbohydrates, 15-20% should be fats (yes fats … the good kind … such as Omega 3,6 and 9 which are essential) and 15-20% should be proteins.

How about calories? It is recommended that that in order to maintain ones body weight they should take their body weight in pounds and multiple it by 20. Therefore a 200 pound man would need 4000 calories to maintain his body weight. To build muscle, and thus gain weight, you need to increase your calories slightly by adding 400 to 600 more calories total. Taller, younger, heavier, and more active people generally require more calories per day then do shorter, older, lighter and less active people. Here is another guideline:

* 175 lbs or under; add 400 calories
* 176 – 200 lbs; add 500 calories
* 201 lbs or more; add 600 calories

If you are getting bigger and stronger without adding noticeable fat to your waist then you are okay. If you do notice that you are gaining extra weight here then cut back 100 calories until the fat disappears.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/22/06 06:50 PM

Quote:

Well according to what I read anyone whose skinny, with under a year of training can put on about a pound a week on this routine. I figure I'm going to do this routine until I have added 100 pounds to each lift. From there I'm going to move on to more of a body building routine.

Heh, with that diet, you will be lucky to get away with only putting on 1lb a week Weight gain means nothing, if I had my way, scales and BMI charts would be banned- they tell you nothing constructive about your progress. You simply will not put on 1lb per week of lean muscle, sorry. That potentialy, would be nearly 2 stone of muscle in 6 months- you would be unlikely to achieve that with a specific bodybuilding routine and the aid of amabolic steroids, let alone with a strength specific routine, and and basic good nutrition.

As for adding 100lbs across the board on all exercises, again, wishfull thinking. You will find you have 'good' and 'bad' exercises. ie. some you will absolutely beast, and the weights will creep up nicely. Others will fight you like a spoilt toddler at bedtime, just refusing to respond to your best efforts.

It sounds like you have bought a book that believes in itself, and is happy to sell a 'perfect world' dream. We would all like to live in that world, but be prepared for your 4000 cals to make you fat, and for some of your exercises not to progress nearly as well as it says on page 21.
Thats the truth. miserable isnt it? you wouldnt pay 20 bucks for a book full of it would you? Hence the 'optimism' of the author of your book

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/22/06 08:17 PM

The book btw, is Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/23/06 03:45 AM

The claims are simply false. i remember a 'guru' called John Parillo came on the scene a few years back advocating eating 10,000 calories a day and promising you would get lean in the process! He also came up with this crazy volume am/pm split system. His contention was that no one ever overtrained, they just under-ate. To me, he may as well have been saying steak comes from Cabbage plants
I then got to watch a guy in my local gym try to stick to the plan. He managed just over a week, before quitting because he felt ill, was bored of eating 'literally all day', and was knackered after the volume of work involved. He managed to put about 6 lbs in that week as i recall- and none of it was muscle.
Parillo didnt care, he had the cash from the book sale, and also from the 4 weeks worth of 'Parillo Performance products' supplements that my friend had bought in preparation for achieving his big ripped physique

The thing is, that the bodybuilding world is like the diet industry in reverse- full of desperate, unhappy, skinny youngsters looking for the 'magic' supplement or routine to turn them into Ronnie Coleman. Both industries spawn products that dont work, and companies who are happy to lie to sell them to you.
Did you know that the expensive 'cutting edge easy mix whey protein in delicious butterscotch flavour' in your local GNC comes from the exact same source as the own brand cheap stuff? There aren't hundreds of little high tech whey producers out there, there are a few massive industrial ones that sell to different companies, who then market, flavour, and price it as they see fit.

Dont believe the hype.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/23/06 01:15 PM

I guess you're right Cord....

This is an interview with Mark Rippetoe if you're interested.

http://www.readthecore.com/200507/trenches.htm

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/23/06 02:03 PM

He is on the same page as I regarding the training, like I said in my first post, I like the workout plan. Its the 'do this this and this and you will put on 30lbs' stuff that lets it down a bit. There is a world of difference between Standing in a state of the art lifting facility in Wichita, with a strength coach growling at you for one more perfect rep, and reading a book then heading off to your garage without a spotter. His 'old school' philosophy on eating also means that at no point does he state that the weight you gain is lean muscle. He is looking to create lifters and linebackers, not Adonis like visions of sculpture. Thats ok, i have never held a 6 pack as a major goal for myself either, but weight gain is weight gain, not pure muscle gain. You have to be clear on what you want, and what your training and eating routine is geared to achieve, and realistic about the results you expect.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/23/06 04:29 PM

Workout A today.

Squat: 145
Bench: 135
Deadlift: 155

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/30/06 09:30 PM

Dropped the weight, I started a little too high. You're suppose to start at 70% of your 5RM, I think I started around 90%.

It's tough, I want to lift hard, and lifting those light weights, makes me want to slap on some more. I need to stick with the routine though. 70% of the weight, 5 pounds added on each workout, hit failure, drop 30 pounds, repeat.
Posted by: LiLJb72

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/30/06 10:26 PM

with a 3x5 on bench to see necessary improvement - do a warmup set with about 50% of what you plan on doing at the end - i.e. if you are comfortable doing 135 on 3x5 then take about 70 on the bar and do about 12 reps...take a break, then start...

Try starting at 135 instead of doing 135 all 3 sets...then go 135, 140, 145 (with a spotter, and this weight is only a guide, only do this if you can get up 4 reps on your own)...This way when you start moving up, you have done the weight before...

This has been a trick I've really enjoyed, once you start gaining, you'll be starting with the 145 in no time and be doing reps at 160...and you'll be thinking "145 is easy, ive done this tons of times before" and it will help you mentally to get it up. I am currently doing 3x8, 2x5 on the bench...i go from 185, 205, 225, 245, 265...Now that may seem far away - but just 4 months ago I was doing 165, 175, 185, 205...and struggling at 205...I have seen freakish gains doing this, and I really love benching now when i hadnt in the past...

Just some food for thought in your workouts...

p.s. I do this in every exercise now, squats, deadlifts, skull crushers....the only one i dont is standing military press, because it's my weakest gain and I just havent moved anywhere on it yet

I also am trying to put on size currently, our workouts are similar but I do a few more reps with each workout...my stats in the past 4 months look like this

Starting weight: 188
Current weight: 204
Height: 6'3

Starting bodyfat%: 11.74%
Current bodyfat%: 14.04%

Biggest maxout weight gain: 75lbs - bench press
least maxout weight gain: 5lbs - standing military press

Avg Calorie intake: 3400
Avg Protein intake: 240g ( cutting down a lot, was getting almost 350, but have cut down to around 200 even)
Avg Carb intake: 300g
Avg Fat intake: (again has changed, was eating close to 30g per day, but have started taking flaxseed oil and eating natural peanut butter and nuts to get me around 70g/day)

Cord helped me out with my workout alot and a little on the diet, cept he took away my favorite sandwich...but he knows his stuff, i've been on a "new and improved" Cord workout for about a week now and its goin pretty smooth...

Regardless, keep it up, seems like you are working that diet hard man, dont get too burned out with it, take an off day every now and again

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/30/06 10:30 PM

also - whats your -
height
weight

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 06/30/06 10:56 PM

height - 5'9
weight - 168
age - 18
waistline? - 13

Actually my warm ups usually go for bench 1x8 bar, 1x6 bar, 1x4 80, 1x2 145, 3x5 135. Well for now, I always add 5 pounds per workout. I also always try to do a couple reps higher weight before my working set to shock my muscles.
Standing military press is very hard for me. I can't gain on it at all, I can't do more than 60 or so without bending my back, so I usually do 50, I'd rather keep the weight low and have good form, keep my back straight. I can't drop this exercise, it's too good at building core strength. I had some bozo in the gym today tell me doing them would give me athritis. Then he tried to tell me I go to far down with my squats, never go down more than 95 degrees, I tried telling him about ATG Squats but he had never heard of them and insisted doing them would kill my knees.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/01/06 07:36 AM

Quote:

Standing military press is very hard for me. I can't gain on it at all, I can't do more than 60 or so without bending my back, so I usually do 50, I'd rather keep the weight low and have good form, keep my back straight. I can't drop this exercise, it's too good at building core strength.

Whilst I am all for 'good' technique, that does not consist of keeping the back perfectly straight during overhead press.

1.When the bar is in the 'catch position' either having been cleaned, or taken at shoulder height from a squat rack, you should have the shoulder blades tight, and have your head tilted up a bit.This will 'arch' the back more than usual, but providing you keep your abs tight,feet slightly wider than shoulder width and knees bent, you will displace the weight just fine.
2. This extra arch allows you to push the bar straight up, with no need to 'navigate' your chin. Keep the abs hard as you press, and as the bar clears your head, now straighten the back as you lock out squeezing the shoulder blades, together at the top so you finish with the bar DIRECTLY in line with the spine.

3. As you lower the bar, look up and lower the bar straight down to the start position- as the shoulder blades contract at the bottom, it feels more like you have lowered the bar to settle on the upper chest.

This is not extreme- its not limbo dancing, but it does allow a mechanicaly more powerful, and technicaly more efficient lift, whilst incorporating greater core stability.

Just staying up right regardless creates a horrible pressing arc as you use a weird energy sapping movement to avoid smacking yourself in the chin or taking your nose off as you drive the bar upward.

Hope this helps.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/01/06 11:46 AM

Well, that definetly helps, thank you Cord.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/03/06 12:43 AM

at 5'9 170 you are a pretty good size if you want to fight...you dont want to gain too much weight and get into the middle or light heavys because you are a little too short....As for that tho, it is hard to put on muscle and see improvements without putting on weight and you definitely need to get that bench squat and deadlift up in weight. But be careful how much you put on if you are looking to stay in your weightclass because you can only cut so much

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/04/06 09:36 PM

Monday's workout was ok. Not the best, I had a litle trouble with my bench, I think I'm making decent progress though. I don't plan on entering any fights LiLJb72, so I'm not worried about getting too heavy. I want to get my weight up to around 225 in the next 2 years.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/06/06 09:52 PM

55lbs in 2 years would be impressive given you're age, but not at all impossible....I joined the army at 6'3 168 and a year and a half later, I was 203...so not bad...but it took a lot of hard work and eating

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/07/06 10:16 PM

Ok, things are going good. I'm up 4 pounds, lifts are all going up quick. I put on a little bit of fat but that's only because I didn't have time for cardio this week with my grandfather and all.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/09/06 11:40 PM

In four weeks I'm going on a cruise, I wonder if I should stop bulking for that week and cut. I mean, I do have a little fat I'd like to drop, and eating 6 meals a day would be hard as hell on a cruise.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/10/06 09:53 AM

Not to mention the drinks. hehehe

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/10/06 11:16 PM

Squat was up to 160 today, felt a little heavy. I might wait until Friday to up it to 165 I haven't decided yet.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/12/06 10:02 PM

Will getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow inhibit my training on Friday?

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/13/06 01:02 AM

It effects everybody different. I had three removed in one day (why not the 4th?) and I was not stopped one bit from doing what I had planned that night. A little sore but not so bad. Others I have seen it put them on their back for days. I'm like this with a lot of operations whereas others don't recuperate fast or perseve they are worse off so play the part out.
Posted by: Al_Fernz

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/13/06 01:53 PM

Thats the opposite to me. When I had all four taken out, my mouth swelled to the size of a balloon. It was too painful to eat anything and I couldn't eat properly for about 4 days. The whole ordeal left me tired and feeling like cr4p for about a week and a half.

Even if you do feel fine I'd ask the dentist for his opinion on it. Always safer to get a professionals opinion.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/13/06 06:54 PM

Can barely move.....swollen.....pain....ouch.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/14/06 12:40 PM

Right, so, I'm still in a lot of pain. One of my wisdom teeth had stopped a 12 year molar from every coming down. So, they also cut the gum around the molar so that it would come down faster, and for some reason, had to go so far over that they cut into the roof of my mouth. That hurts the most.
I think I'll wait until Monday to start lifting again, missing a coupole days won't hurt that much.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/16/06 01:14 AM

Starting a cycle of Green Bulge and White Blood on Wednesday. I know everyone here is against supplements though....

I'd really like to make gains in my quads, they're a little on the small size considering I wasn't able to do squats until about a month ago.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/506/Legs1July.jpg

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/16/06 08:53 AM

What the hell are green bulge and white blood!? sounds more like the name of punk Bands than supplements.

If you are going to do any form of supplementation, then go for a basic protein shake and one a day multi vit/min. At least that way you get some actual nutrition, and not just empty marketing.

Your quads are small because, a) you are a kid, and havent even begun your lifting life properly yet, and b) because you only started squating 4 weeks ago. No supplement in the world is going to give you 'magic' muscle growth.
You need to supplement you training with patience and an eye on the long term, not 'green bulge'.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/16/06 11:09 AM

Cord, I understand completely there is no magic pill out there that is going to shave off the years needed to form a decent body. I'm not buying something in hopes of gaining 30 pounds of muscle in a month. I know that impossible.
I already take a multi, protein shakes, fish oil, flaxseed, all the basics.
As I said, I know people here have negative feelings towards supplements, but White Blood and Green Bulge have had good reviews. We'll see how things go in 8 weeks while I'm on it. The company always offers a money back guarantee,which they do honor, so there's nothing really to worry about.
Like I said, I understand that mos
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/16/06 11:59 AM

http://www.buildingbrawn.com/index.php?SubvendorID=175&ProductID=5830&Cat=500

http://www.buildingbrawn.com/index.php?ProductID=5810

You could buy some nice chicken and tuna for $50/month.

To-May-Toe
To-Mah-Toe

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/16/06 12:48 PM

Well I already have plenty of chicken and tuna, don't worry.
Anways, I knew it was a mistake, everyone here hates anything but 100% all natural of course. I might as well forget about this log, no one gives a crap about it anyways. Unless I post something that someone wants to argue with me about I don't get any responses.
Posted by: Al_Fernz

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/16/06 01:52 PM

Just because people don't post doesn't mean they're not interested in how your workouts are going. Many people don't partcipate on the boards but just look at them.

Personally your log interests me because like me you seem to be relatively new to the strengthening/conditioning game. I would take into account all advice offered to you by the lads on this board. These guys have many years of solid strengthening experience and you'll find it hard to knock the advice they give because it's largely based on personal experience. Gains are not made overnight, they come after weeks and months of hard dedicated training. Just keep training hard and eating right and I'm sure you will get there in time. I know it's hard to stay motivated when you don't get instant results but your workout seems to be fine so just keep plugging away at it.

On the other hand if you want to try those supplements and as you say have nothing to lose, why not? It will be interesting to see the results.

Anyways, best of luck and keep letting us know how you get on!

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/16/06 02:04 PM

Well, at least someones interested.
The thing is I really do have nothing to lose by taking these, there have been a lot of good reviews on them, we'll see how things go.
Also, perhaps I'm being misunderstood, I'm not lacking any motivation at all. Infact, in the last few months, I've come to fall in love with weight lifting, when before I use to hate it. I know that I'm not going to see the changes I want until years and years of hard work. Thats fine with me. I have all the time in the world.
While I'm on this cycle I'm going to update this log even more. Exercises done, weight used, how I feel, size increases, everything.
I'm confident in my diet, I'm confident in my routine, and I'm confident this upcoming cycle will do good for me.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/16/06 04:40 PM

Eric, i am intensley interested in your progress, why else would I bother to voice my concerns? Am i trying to steer you on the right path out of apathy?

All supplements are able to provide at least a few good reviews. You know why?

Lets say that a 17 year old, lets call him Dave for sake of argument, has been training off and on for about 18 months in his garage with a bench and weights picked up second hand from the classifieds.
Dave has no formal training, and gets 'flex' and 'musclemag' religiously. he absorbs every article, puts Big Ronnie all over his walls, and has high hopes that he too will develop into an absolute beast.
Thing is, after over a year of hard work, Dave is far from where he wants to be. Sure, he has filled out, and his girlfriend thinks his 'guns' are big, but he is nowhere near that 'you can see my muscles through a sweater' look that he was hoping to at least be hinting at by now.
At this point, the supplement fixation kicks in. adverts promising increases in size, strength, definition- the lot. There are money back promises, before and after pictures, semi scientific names all ending in 'bol', or hardcore names like 'Mass Beast ZX' or 'Mega-ripped whey'.
Dave gets his wallet out and stocks up big style. His garage looks like a store room of a GNC, and his mum looks worried as handfulls of clourful pills and powders get shovelled down his throat.
One thing is constant in the small print of all these products: 'Will only give results in conjunction with appropriate training and diet'.
this is daves big chance- he cant go out, he is now broke, so has no distractions. All the stuff he is taking will last for about 6 weeks, so he decides- thats it. No more putting workouts off, no shortcuts on food, no slacking. For the 6 weeks of the supplementation he is going to live and breath training- he will be hyper focussed for every workout, push himself harder than ever before. He will dial his diet in tight- everything pre prepared, nothing left to chance- he is going to do everything he can to get the most from his supplements.

What do you know, 6 weeks later he feels stronger, and has filled out a bit- not a lot, but enough to convince him he spent his money wisely.

The truth is, the supplements merely provided the focus to allow Dave to break through his plateaus all on his own. If he had been able to find the momentum and dedication to eat and train with that much intensity without the supplements, he would have done just as well, and been 100 bucks richer.

Its placebo effect. If it is worth it to you then thats your choice, but if you can find your motivation within yourself, and not a tub of cr4p, you will be richer in mind and wallet.

i was 17 once myself you know.

Choose wisely.

Dave.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/16/06 05:06 PM

I know what you're saying, and believe it or not I do agree with pretty much all of it.
The two supplements I bought could turn out to be crap and total garbage, i know that's more probably than them actually working. However, for the last, I'm not even sure how many weeks now, maybe 5, I have been pushing myself as hard as possible in the gym, and making sure my diet is perfect, 100% clean. I have carefully monitored my progress and results during that period and I will carefully monitor my progress and results while I'm on these two supplements. If I do a little better, even if its just from some extra motivation, I'll be satisfied, if I don't see any extra results, well, lesson learned from that. I'm prepared for both scenarios.
However, I do see one way these supplements could definetly help me out. I'm getting some extra exercise as well as a nice tan from all the extra yard work I've been doing. Gotta suck up quick to my mom, that 60 dollar credit card bill is coming soon.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/17/06 12:28 AM

Eric, I've been reading this, as I read all things in the Strengthening Forum. I started out like most people with limited knowledge and I had to gain it over the years ... and to be honest I'm still learning and don't know much myself. I worked out for years much like Cord's "Dave" character but I was already dialed in and was making good gains but they probably could have been better. It was many years before I actually tried supplements and only did so after a body building friend of mine introduced me to many and I did spend the money to get them, though I make enough that it would not really phase me. The thing with me is I keep a complete log and I was able see where I was before, during and after and there really wasn't any change so opted not to take supplements. Protein I had the best results with but I could have got this from foods but I'm lazy that way and actually when I start training this week on my new plan I will again start taking it.

The thing is, it is your work out and if you want to spend the money then do so. The others are just trying to give you feed back from their experience but to be honest, I probably would have bought them regardless to try for myself to see if they worked. I would record everything as I do and if I am seeing results then I would try variations in my workout and supplement intake to determine if it was my hard work or the supplements that were helping. Knowing this then I would proceed in my best interest. In other words, find out for yourself what works for you as sometimes we have to learn from making mistakes to know 100% in our minds one way or another. No sense leaving that portion of your training with "what ifs" ... find out for sure for you and then you will be the wiser. Maybe it will do something for your and maybe it won't but you will have to be the judge of that, but just make sure you factor in everything and be honest when making that decision.

Good luck to you Eric in your training and I look forward to hearing your results.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/17/06 01:03 AM

I have the tendancy to sometimes take things a little to personally, I also have a pretty quick temper sometimes, and those two things combined can sometimes make me seem, well not seem, act very rude. So firstly I would like to apologize for a couple of my previous posts.
Now, I should be getting Green Bulge and White blood on Wednesday.
What I have posted here, is a very vague log compared to personal one. Once my cycle is over, I can compare things, and see if there really was a difference.
I know I may not respond at all to these, but I figured, with all the good reviews, it's worth a shot. $60 was a lot of me to spend, considering I don't currently have a job, but I'm starting one in very early September, and have a decent chunk saved up currently, so it wasn't that bad.
You know, I'm sure no one here wants to spend the money, but I think it would be interesting if someone else wanted to pick up these two supps. and run them for a cycle so we could compare results.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/506/UnflexedJuly.jpg
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/506/BiJuly.jpg
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/506/BackBiJuly.jpg

Well anyways, those are the pictures I'm going to use to compare with in 8 weeks.

Measurements
Chest - 38 inches
Arm - 14.3
Quads - 22.5
Calves - 16

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/17/06 02:49 AM

Eric, i have no problem with anyone defending their point of view/decisions, dont sweat it- i can be far ruder than you have been as I am sure I have shown on here from time to time
I can well understand the need to make your own discoveries on things, its good not to be spoon fed info- a questioning mind is the most powerfull tool in the world.

Please bare in mind however, that you have been keeping a detailed log, and applying yourself with full intensity for 5 weeks. Thats not even a complete adaptive cycle.

I agree that comparing results and constant evaluation is a good thing- but you are not giving yourself enough control data with which to make an accurate comparison.

At your age, you are reaching full maturity and at the highpont of your development potential. I would suggest riding the crest of that wave for a full 6 months, good eating, hard training and mother nature. In that time, research supplements exhaustively- find user sights, not product controlled endorsements/claims for unbiased feedback on others experiences. Also, in that 6 months, save your wages, get a supplement fund in place, and then set yourself a 6 month schedule of structured supplement use, and see how the two periods compare.

That is the way to accurately evaluate and compare. '5 weeks of this and 4 weeks of that' simply wont give you the data that you need.

Your green and white stuff will have an expiry date in excess of 5 months, I respectfully suggest holding off till you have done 6 months of raw foundation training.

Good luck in whatever you decide

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/18/06 05:04 PM

Well, I think it's safe to say I probably won't hit my goals. 15 inch arms and 40 inch chest by the start of college. I still have half an inch to go on my arms and TWO inches to go on my chest.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/18/06 08:29 PM

It'll come Eric, just give it time. Too many people are in such as rush that they either quit or turn to drugs. With time you will get what you are looking for, remember you are young and you have years of training ahead of you.

Just remember when measuring to measure at rest. And I also think measuring yourself at the same time each day is best, much like when weighing yourself.

Just keep working at it and don't get hung up on numbers ... though I do sometimes too. And don't compare yourself to anybody else as they will have different genetics then you. Some people you will be bigger then and others you won't, it is a fact of life. Just keep training.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/18/06 08:49 PM

Oh I know, it's not that big of a deal for me, I'm only upset really because usually when I set a goal I reach it. I started this 6 months ago, so I had thought I might make it, but, better luck next time I guess.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/19/06 09:19 PM

First workout in almost two weeks.
It was one of those workouts that make you say "Why the hell do I bother."

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/20/06 01:18 AM

Bad days will happen Eric, don't get yourself down. When I have these days I tell myself that at least I did something. Too many people are doing nothing so I'm still a head of the game. It may have felt like crap but who knows, perhaps even being bad it still did your body good. Just mentally turn that around to a positive and then build on it.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/21/06 07:11 PM

Today was a very good day.
My squat was back up to 160, last week I took it down to 150 since I was still feeling tired after the surgery.
My bench dropped down a little, but I haven't done it in over two weeks so it's understandable, it was at 115, down from 125. I should have it back up in no time though.
Deadlift, I was very happy with that today. I did 145, and felt like I could have pushed it to about 165 but decided to play it safe.
Today as Friday, and every Friday I do a little extra assistance work. I aimed for 2x8 on dips, but only manged 8, then 6. I did crunches, 3x8, weighted with 45 pounds. Then I did one set of 25 calf raises, 175 pounds.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/22/06 04:04 AM

always nice when you follow a bad one with a good one
Nice going.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/22/06 10:11 AM

Thanks Cord.
I think I'm going to shoot for a 250 pound deadlift by Christmas time.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/24/06 08:11 PM

Another good workout today. Lifted the most ever on the standing shoulder press, 85 pounds. Nothing spectacular but not too shabby I don't think.
My arms seem to be lagging behind everything else, I can't seem to break the 14 inch mark, I've been stuck for almost two months.
What I'm going to do, is replace the the chin ups in my workout B with 2x8 barbell curls. Well, not going to, I did, today. Curled 80 pounds with no problem the first set, only made it to six on the second, so I may drop to 70 pounds.

You know what I really hate? Watching people curl, and swing the bar up, throwing themselves back. Don't they realize they would have much better results if they lowered the weight and only used their biceps to lift it? Seems like common sense to me.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/26/06 08:50 PM

Excellent workout today, best in a long time, I feel great.
I had a 150 pound deadlift.
Unfortunetly my bench is still stuck around 125.

I have a question, that I really need help with.
As you can see I don't work my traps directly, well my left one is growing out of proportion with my right...and I'm right handed.
Not only are they out of proportion normally, but I CAN'T flex my right trap, at all...it's just as strong, but I can't flex the muscle. I asked my docter about it, and he blew me off saying he doesn't know what it is.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/Eric4321/IMG_0374.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/Eric4321/IMG_0372.jpg

Those pictures are about two months old. Since them my left has gotten even bigger and no gains on my right.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/27/06 01:17 AM

Eric I think you will find that many of us have one muscle larger then the other. For myself my right bicep is 1/2" larger then my left, and even though I'm right handed, my left is as strong if not stronger then my right (weird eh?). Also my left peck is larger then my right peck. I'm sure there are other things as well but these are the two things I notice.

I have tried many things to try to balance myself better and with my biceps I worked out my left more hoping that it would increase itself to balance them out more. In fact this wasn't the case and one of the biggest reasons that I believe my left arm is stronger then my right now. I also tried exercises that concentrated more on my right peck hoping to balance it out and this made no difference as well. Perhaps this is genetics as we all have one larger body part then the other ... we are just designed this way.

Now for yourself this could be the case as well. Or perhaps the exercises you are doing have some incorrect form that is working one muscle more then the other. You may wish to visit a gym and discuss this with a qualified instructor who can watch you work these muscles and then give you his opinion and possible some corrective action. One thing I would do for sure is before doing that exercise use a "light" weight and do the movement over and over and concentrate on that side more. Get a feel for what you are doing and then when you actual lift your set weight, do the same thing ... concentrate on that muscle. Concentrate on it hard and try not to think of anything else ... of course while keeping good form but by concentrating on this side your mind and body should work this side more. Over time perhaps it will grow larger ... maybe not as large as the otherside, but it will grow large enough that you will be the only one that notices.

Just to add, watch a WWE show and pay particular attention to the wrestlers and I think if you look hard enough you will find many of these guys also have offset muscles. In fact I have noticed this on many UFC fighters as well. You are no different that many of us ... though that may not fix the problem but at least you know you are not alone in this.

Give what I said and try and see if that helps over time. Really concentrate on that muscle and start with a light weight. Visiting a professional will also help if you get a chance. And perhaps others on here will have tips that may help you out further.

Good luck and keep up the working out.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/27/06 01:21 AM

Thank you very much Dereck for your reply.

My problem is slightly different though. One side isn't just bigger, the problem is I am physically unable to flex my right trap. No matter how hard I try, I can't even get it to flinch.
i guess it could be something to do with genetics like you said, I just find it odd that I can't move it.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/27/06 01:25 AM

Are you trying to move it just by flexing it by itself or with a weight. Try flexing it with a light weight and see if you feel anything.

If you can't flex it at all perhaps you may want to visit a sports doctor or possible a chiropractor. I'm not a big fan of these people but possibly you have a pinched nerve that you are not aware of limiting this. Have you had any trauma to this area in the past that you can remember? Also, when you do an exercise are you able to use the exact same weight for both sides?

Just some things to think about.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/27/06 01:31 AM

I've tried flexing it by itself, I've tried flexing it with weight, everything.
My lifts are identical for both sides, it's just as strong it just doesn't grow at all.
I guess I'll have to find a sports doctor. Like I said, I saw my regular doctor for a check up yesterday and asked him about it and he just said "I don't know" and changed the subject.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/27/06 01:40 AM

If it is as strong as the other side then it all may be genetics. Always get a second opinion from a professional that knows what he is talking about.

My own doctor has been no help when it comes to problems. When I had a bone spur in my left elbow that punctured the bursa sack I advised my doctor that I was having problems lifting and he told me to stop lifting. UHH ... NO!! I then visited a sports doctor, Dr. Randy Gregg, who is a former NHL player and Stanley Cup Champion when with the Edmonton Oilers. He completely understood and I was booked with a specialist that also works with the Oilers. He fixed my elbow up good and I was back at it. Also with Dr. Gregg's help I am booked with the same specialist to do my ACL ... I just happen to be on the waiting list. Also when I crushed the vertebrea in my neck my doctor could not even diagnose this even after x-rays. Dr. Gregg knew immediately and I had a MRI, physio and all of that stuff and then given my options ... which I had to choose to live with as the alternate was surgery and I could be worse off.

Doctors are great for the field they have trained in. Anything to do with sports many if not most GP (General Practitioners) have limited knowledge and why you need to seek professionals who specialize in these fields.

Hope things work out for you Eric.

EDIT: As a note, if you cannot find a sports doctor on your own ask your regular doctor. Remember they work for you and in order for them to take you seriously then you sometimes have to push things. Let them know your concerns and that you want them dealt with. Perhaps he/she can direct you in the right direction.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/27/06 06:45 AM

When you say you cant 'flex' the trap, do you mean as in doing a 'most muscular' pose, or do you mean contracting the muscle to raise the shoulder in a shrugging motion?

If it is the former, dont worry- that is not flexing the upper traps, that is actually stretching them in such a way as to display them, and has no functional repurcussions at all. it probably means that you cannot articulate the shoulder capsule in such a way as to get the angle of stretch necessary.

If you physicaly cannot shrug, or squeeze both shoulderblades together, then you need to worry and take things further. If your pulling exercises feel even on both sides, and you are getting good 'squeeze' in the lats and traps with your back work, then dont worry about it, as the muscle is functioning correctly.

another thing is to look at yourself side on in the mirror- compare both side profiles for postural problems. i would hazard a guess that the side you can 'flex' the trap on, is also the side you sleep on. Am I right?
If so, you may notice that in your side profile this shoulder appears more rounded than the other. Gravity is giving the trap an assisted stretch during sleep if that is the case. If i am right about this, switch preferred sleeping sides.

Switch to dumbell work for your back and traps for 4 months just to be on the safe side, always make sure you do the lifts in front of a mirror to check your form as well.

Thats all I got.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/29/06 07:49 PM

Power Clean was at 85 pounds yesterday, not sure if that's considered good or not.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 07/31/06 10:25 PM

I don't feel my chest getting hit during the bench press at all. I'm pretty sure my form is good, and I'm using a very wide grip, I just don't feel it in my chest.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/01/06 12:34 AM

To be honest Eric, sometimes I don't feel it either. In those cases I will lift something light first to get the motion and feel the movement and then lift and concentrate only on my chest and nothing else. I may not feel it then but a day or so later I will then feel it. Just that concentration can make a difference. When pressing upwards I should mention to keep your elbows in closer and you should probably feel it more in your chest then if your elbows are flared out. Even try it now without weights sitting reading this.

If that fails try some dumbbell presses as each pec will be hit separately so you may feel them then.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/01/06 10:43 PM

Quick outline of my future plans.

I'll be changing my current routine in December. Around that time I'm starting Bill Starr's 5x5 which I plan on working on for 15 weeks, then following that up with Max O-T.
That will take me to next summer pretty much.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/02/06 10:25 PM

Standing Military Press.
Definetly my weakest lift.
I lifted 70 pounds today, very difficult. I think I'm going to drop down to just the bar, and then start working my way up again.
One thing I find very difficult is keeping the bar straight, no matter what the weight, I need to go slower from now on, make sure I keep everything steady.
Oh, and something that made me excited, 185 pound squat today. However, it wsa difficult as well, I almost failed. I'll probably do 185 again Friday, then for monday, drop down to 150.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/03/06 04:34 PM

Oh and I don't know if I mentioned this but I'm leaving for a cruise this Sunday.
I haven't been on a single cruise where I didn't come back 10-15 pounds heavier. But hey, that's not always a bad thing.
Besides, when you can get free pizza 24/7, you can't deny yourself. Every single night of my last cruise, I'd get 5 slices of pizza and 5 cups of milk around 2am, then relax in bed eating and watching tv for an hour.
That's the life.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/03/06 04:56 PM

Dang I wanna go on a cruise. I have heard nothing but good things from people I know that have been on them.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/03/06 05:23 PM

I've been on more than a few, and they never lose their fun. I would highly recommend going on one for your next vacation.
We always go on Royal Caribbean, but this December I'm going on Princess to take advantage of one of their 13 night Polynesian ones. My only wish is their Asian ones weren't only in October/November, I can't take that time out of school.
Really though, for your first cruise check out Royal Caribbean and MAKE SURE it's an Adventure Class ship.
Their newest ship, The Freedom, is a little more expensive than the others, but it's beautiful.
The money is worth it because there is so much stuff to experience.
On this upcoming cruise, I'm going horseback riding in Barbados, sailing on a pirate ship and then mountain biking down a volcano in St. Lucia, parasailing in St. Thomas, and that's all I can think of right now, but there's 3 more islands I'm doing stuff on.
Also, you will never have a better dinner in your life. The most delicious food ever, and as much as you want because it's included in the price.
Like I said before too, pizza, sandwhiches, baked goods, coffee, milk, beer, wine, all of it is offered 24/7 and for free.

Here are pictures of The Freedom.
http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogalle..._serialNumber=1
http://www.brainfuel.tv/postimages/freedom_seas_2.jpg
(That second pic, shows the onboard surfing machine, it generates a constant wave.)
http://www.cruisemates.com/images/RCI/Freedom/freedom-tubs.jpg
(See through bottom on the hot tub....11 floors up.)
http://www.wdr-foto.de/data/media/25/IMG_8630.jpg

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/20/06 12:53 PM

Four months, 14 pounds.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/Eric4321/IMG_0218.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/Eric4321/IMG_0775.jpg

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/20/06 01:22 PM

Ah the internet, where people are happy to pose in their pants for public scrutiny

nice new tan

looks like most of the mass has gone on your legs- thats a good thing. chest and arms have come up a bit too.

that is good tangible progress in 1/4 of a year. Much respect, i like to see hard work be rewarded with results

Remember, most cruise liners have kick a$$ gyms on them these days, so NO SLACKING PIZZA BOY!!!!

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/20/06 01:26 PM

I'm already back lol.
The gym was ok, no free weights, just machines.
I was pretty proud of myself when i used the leg press could do 15 reps with the entire stack of weight.
Although 400 pounds isn't much on a leg press for people who have been at it for a long time, I've never been able to say "I did 400 pounds on the xxx the other day"

Oh, and posing in underwear is nothing after being on Orient Beach in St. Maarten. I'm not sure if I enjoyed that though....got me a nice all over tan, but....many memories I wish to leave behind
Anyways, thank you Cord, this is just a quater of one year with many more ahead of me.
I have a new goal of coming home from college in May and making people say "Holy Crap."
Maybe my goal is a little vain but, we're only human after all.

EDIT: In the second pic you can see what I meant about uneven traps.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/20/06 01:31 PM

now post a pic of you post 'pizza on the poop deck' if you dare

Good work on the leg press, but as you say, pulley machines make the weight a lot less than if it were on a barbell on your shoulders.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/20/06 01:40 PM

I know that, I only squat half that lol.
It doesn't matter though lifting an entire stack of weight on a machine is an accomplishment to me haha.
And for your information that last picture is post cruise lol.
And I averaged 10 slices a day thank you very much.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/20/06 01:47 PM

Stacking a machine is always a great feeling- training the ego is not a bad thing in moderation

You must have trained well to hit the all you can eat everyday and still break even on the waistline- good job buddy

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/20/06 09:39 PM

Thank you, thank you. Lol.

Just wanted to post a close up of my legs lol. I really think they're my best feature. I sort of want to get a bathing suit like Daniel Craig wears in the new James Bond movie now hahaha. You know what I'm talking about right Cord? I've only ever seen people from the UK wearing them.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/Eric4321/IMG_0786.jpg

And here's a shot of the back just for fun.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/Eric4321/IMG_0782.jpg

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/21/06 01:14 AM

In your second picture you could see part of your face and could tell you were really tensing up for the pictures. I hope you did not crap yourself and why you were wearing different shorts in the other two pictures.

All joking aside, keep at it Eric and good for you.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/21/06 01:59 AM

Lmao, I tried not too.
Speaking of which....
http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/08/karate-guy-craps-pants.html

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 08/21/06 09:14 AM

Thanks Eric, I was eating my breakfast.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 09/02/06 09:53 PM

Hey Eric, thats some nice genetics with the leg bulking. Im the opposite, it take me a long time to get bulk on my legs. My body started with the back and shoulders.

Good work lad!

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 09/08/06 01:49 PM

It's been three weeks since my last workout.
College is hard, I'm studying a lot, but I did manage to make time during my days to workout.
However, I have not made it to one planned workout session!
I have not been able to sleep at all.
I think I'm suffering from insomnia.
I try to get 8 hours, going to bed at 11 everynight.
I usually fall asleep at around 3ish, then my roommate wakes me up every night around 4 when he comes in from partying.
I feel really upset with myself, like all the hardwork I put in over the summer is being wasted.
Getting the proper nutrition is hard as well, but I'm putting in extra effort in that area since I can't exercise.
I think I might make an appointment with the campus doctor to see if I can get perscribed something to help me sleep.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 09/08/06 03:53 PM

It sounds very stressful Eric. Careful with sleeping aids as this could turn into an addiction which you won't need and will screw you up for later. Is it possible to ask for a transfer to another room ... or to have you room mate transferred? Or perhaps when he is trying to sleep start blaring the music and when he says something pop the retard in the face repeatedly until he gets "it". (Just kiddin' )

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 09/08/06 10:34 PM

Lol. Well the thing is he's a good room mate honestly, I don't think I'd want to switch, because believe me, I could and probably would get stuck with someone ALOT worse.
I've asked him to be a little more quiet at night and he's agreed, and I'm sure he'll stand by that.
I see advertisements all the time on TV for that sleep aid, what's it called, Lunesta? It says non habit forming, but I don't know.
I went to GNC and picked up a bottle of an all natural sleep aid, but that didn't do anything for me.
I don't know what I'm going to do.
Not being able to fall asleep is great for getting through books and magazines, but not so good for getting to 8:30 classes everyday and paying attention and then studying.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 09/09/06 08:04 AM

I find getting difficult philosophical/historical books (which you may be able to handle during the day) good for late at night when you can't sleep. Scientific stuff you don't quite understand is good too. I know it's a cliche but it does work... Oh, and working out should fix most of your problems, it'll tire you out more. I know that since I started traing 18 months ago, my sleep problems have almost totally disappeared.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 09/09/06 12:07 PM

Or you could be screwed like me and just have poor sleeping habits that are more internal then external. And for myself, I am a part of a small percentage that sleeping pills have the opposite affect ... keep you awake and alert. Good luck Eric.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 09/22/06 04:25 PM

Sleeping has gotten better, but my diet and workouts have gotten worse.
My routine is three workouts per week, the most I've gotten in the last month is one per week.
My diet ranges from decent days to terrible days.
I do sleep though, mainly because I'm constantly dead.
Between classes, reading, homework, studying, and working, the few hours a day I have to workout, I find myself just laying around.
My diet sucks because my classes hit the main meal times in the caf. So when I'm not in class, all they serve are snacks. There's a store on campus that sells snacks and frozen dinners, so that's mainly what I eat. I try to get to the grocery store for healthy stuff, but I only have a tiny fridge to store stuff and a little microwave to cook it.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 09/22/06 05:21 PM

You will probably need to take some time to make up a schedule and then stick to it. The beginning will be hard until you get used to it but you will benefit from it if you do. Premake things to eat and base those on your limited storage; is it possible to get more storage space, a supplementary fridge? Possibly you will end up having to do grocery shopping more often ... but again once you get into the habit of doing this then it won't feel as much like a chore, especially when you see the benefit.

Tough life for sure Eric, all new surroundings, bigger responsibilities ... I don't envy you with the exception of you have the opportunity for a good education. It is still early and I suspect you haven't settled totally into things so give it some more time ... and make a schedule ... do it now ... while you are reading this ... quit wasting your time on the forum.

Have fun and good luck.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 10/09/06 02:29 PM

Today was the day.
I woke up and said it all starts now.
I'm doing my routine without cutting out any lifts, 3 days a week just like in the summer.
I'm going running, swimming, and getting in at least a half an hour of bag work a couple days a week.

I start working out and gym staff stops me.
Sorry they say, Olympic lifts are prohibited.
Free weights are only for curls and bench press, you're not allowed to squat unless it's with the smith machine, no power cleans, deadlifts, etc.
I was told though that they have "plenty of machines that do the same thing."
Yeah....right.

So, now I'm [censored]. Luckily I remembered my vow to make sure I get a lot of bag work. It's been a long time, so I start off slow.
"Woah woah buddy!!! This big bag is only for punching, if you want to kick you have to use the smaller one in the corner, and you can't have your shoes off while kicking put them back on!!"

Ok, even more [censored]. I get to the bag in the corner, front snap kick, medium power, "Woah woah!!! You're going to put a hole in the wall! Light contact to the bag only!"

This is the part where there's 20 different curse words wanting to come out.

I stormed out of the gym.
I can't afford an off campus gym and I have no car anyways.
So much for getting any decent training in.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 10/10/06 01:38 AM

Frustrating but you will have to adapt Eric. Change up the routine and use what you can. Use the machines if you have to and just put your all into it, that is all you can ask of yourself ... their house, their rules. Any workout is better then no workout and once you get into a routine you will be the better for it.

Good luck to you Eric.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 10/17/06 06:00 PM

Ok, so in my routine I've replaced power cleans with bent over rows.
I'm still [censored] though, power cleans are so great....
Tuesday and Thursday at 7 in the morning I go to a Flowing Yoga class. Wednesday and Friday I go to a Power Yoga class in the evening and I also do Pilates on Wednesday.
Tuesdays and Thursdays I swim in the afternoon and on Saturday and Sunday evenings I go running.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 10/18/06 03:10 AM

Getting into a routine yet? Schooling not so much over whelming now? Good luck to you in your studies and training Eric.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 10/18/06 10:16 AM

Things are getting better. I dropped my accounting class. It was just too much. Besides, I never really wanted to be a business major, I pretended I did because I wanted to make money, but I just wouldn't have been happy. I'm changing my major to History and Creative Writing.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 10/18/06 08:37 PM

Oh and I found an Aikido school I plan on joining.
I'm going to watch a class on Friday.
It should be very interesting. The instructor's instructor was a direct student of O Sensei for 10 years.

Re: Eric's Workout Log - 10/19/06 03:05 AM

Hope it is something you will enjoy Eric.