increasing the power of you punches

Posted by: kgizzle

increasing the power of you punches - 06/20/06 11:37 PM

i am lifting weights and was wondering what else would really help the power and speed of my punches, like what exercises would really help thank you in advance

edited to remove 'owned' emoticon. You 'owned' no one, and shouldnt attempt to if you want help.
Posted by: Cord

Re: increasing the power of you punches - 06/20/06 11:46 PM

Punching.
Posted by: Benjamin

Re: increasing the power of you punches - 06/20/06 11:54 PM

This topic has been discussed many times.
Posted by: Steel91

Re: increasing the power of you punches - 06/21/06 12:03 AM

Well, yeah Cord is right maybe using some wrist weights when you shadow box or punch a bag would help, but repition and technique is more important (Am I right this time Cord, lol)

Re: increasing the power of you punches - 06/21/06 12:07 AM

Quote:

(Am I right this time Cord, lol)

No, sorry. Wrist weights are useless. There is a thread on it further down the page.
Posted by: Steel91

Re: increasing the power of you punches - 06/21/06 05:14 PM

Darnit! I was so close this time, but I will keep training!
Posted by: matt_mcg

Re: increasing the power of you punches - 06/22/06 06:27 AM

It's pretty much all technique.

My savate instructor is fairly light and not particularly muscular. Her punches however are pretty powerful -- it's all in the speed and technique. Getting the bodyweight behind the punch in the correct way.

If the hip-rotation and body-movement isn't right then it's just not going to have the power -- no matter how strong the arm muscles.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: increasing the power of you punches - 06/22/06 06:49 AM

But being stronger will allow you take advantage of good technique all the better... A stronger core and back will allow you twist your body weight into a punch. Stronger legs will allow you to push off the ground and get your legs and whole body behind the punch. Increasing your strength will allow you to increase your power that way...

Re: increasing the power of you punches - 06/22/06 10:12 AM

agreed. but wrist weights are not the way to go. Squats and weighted core work will do more for your punches than bench press and bicep curls ever could.
Posted by: matt_mcg

Re: increasing the power of you punches - 06/22/06 01:30 PM

Yeah, core body strength and flexibility are bound to help.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: increasing the power of you punches - 06/27/06 06:13 AM

www.rossboxing.com

www.rosstraining.com

This guy has killer workouts!