My Work-out - Is It Good?

Posted by: kyokushinkai

My Work-out - Is It Good? - 06/18/06 04:56 PM

Monday - Weights ( bench press, Pull-ups, Squats, Sit-ups )
Tuesday - HIIT/Heavybag
Wednesday - Pylometrics, or steady state cardio
Thursday - HIIT/Heavybag
Friday - Weights ( same as monday )

weekend - recovery.

any constructive criticism is appreciated.
Posted by: Steel91

Re: My Work-out - Is It Good? - 06/18/06 07:06 PM

It's pretty good, only I would ad more variety to the weights, like some curls, calf raises, tricep extensions and dead lifts, or any other workout to work your back, bicep, and calf muscles, strong calf muscles help in explosivenes, which would come in very handy with sparring and training.
Posted by: Cord

Re: My Work-out - Is It Good? - 06/19/06 05:09 AM

perfect

please dont spoil this routine with bicep curls and tricep extensions.

I presume that in your HIIT/Plyo work you have some leaping/jumping movements, and that should do nicely for explosive power. Never a bad idea to have a box/platform to jump onto or over to help focus quality in each exertion, and to help guage improvement.

Watch out for shin splints as HIIT/plyo can be hard on the joints/bones. If this looks like being a problem, make one of your HIIT sessions cycling or swimming based.

Good stuff
Posted by: Steel91

Re: My Work-out - Is It Good? - 06/19/06 01:36 PM

Plyometrics help explosiveness, oh sorry I don't know what plyometrics are, could someone please explain what to me what they are? sorry to be off subject.
Posted by: Cord

Re: My Work-out - Is It Good? - 06/19/06 08:39 PM

plyometric work is where the muscles have to contract with enough speed and power to make your body overcome gravity- essentialy its jumping movements. Box jumps, bounding sprints, hand clap push ups, hand clap chin ups (yes they can be done),split jumps, bunny hops, burpees etc.

All that kind of explosive dynamic activity will equate to better power transfer and utilisation.
Posted by: kyokushinkai

Re: My Work-out - Is It Good? - 06/20/06 01:07 PM

Quote:

plyometric work is where the muscles have to contract with enough speed and power to make your body overcome gravity- essentialy its jumping movements. Box jumps, bounding sprints, hand clap push ups, hand clap chin ups (yes they can be done),split jumps, bunny hops, burpees etc.

All that kind of explosive dynamic activity will equate to better power transfer and utilisation.

Pull-ups with a clap? I was wondering how to get a Plyometric exercise for my back, without a medicine ball, but the thing I do pull ups on is like 10x10 inch around so I can't get a good grip on it.. I doubt I could do pull-ups with a clap anyway.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: My Work-out - Is It Good? - 06/27/06 06:12 AM

You should also think of putting a rest day in the middle of the week and not back to back. I noticed if I do weekends off its much more time for me to think of what bad foods I can eat and get out of my routine. I decided to train 6 days a week and take Sundays off but I have goals to meet so thats my pref.

Brandon