Dudley32 Nationals training reg

Posted by: Dudley32

Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/06/06 09:39 PM

Well, I am down to my last month of training for my national taekwondo comp. So I figured I would post what I am doing for two reasons.

One, for critique. Now mind you, I am training for an AAU competition, so I am focusing mainly on cardio... So go light on me Cord and Dereck

Two, so I stay accountable.

Monday:
Morning; Upper Body: 2X3 min round Punching
Bag broke so had to fix it
2x3 min round punching
10 min. combo work
2x3 min rounds
2 mile run
Night; was gonna do my lower body workout which I have posted before, but got called to play paintball, can't turn that down

Matt

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/06/06 09:42 PM

Tuesday:
2 hour taekwnondo class.

was a good class, not overly tough because we had a guy who just started. did about a thirty min. workout, then worked self-defense and judo counters, then finished with some judo sparring. I also got to lead the kids class before that

Matt
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/06/06 11:26 PM

Well instead of fixing your punching bag, couldn't you just hit the kids? It'd be target practice since they'd all be running frantically. IMHO, that would be the best training for TKD Nationals.

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/07/06 08:04 PM

Nah, thats what my brother and sister are for...

Wednesday:

Morning; had a different sort of workout, I had to rip out a tree stump using a pick ax and sledhammer. So that was a fairly good upper body workout. Took something like an hour

Afternoon; Upper body
2x3 min rounds of punching
10 min combo work
10 min combo work

Evening; Lower body: I keep track of the kicks per round.
3x3 min round kicking- 170, 160, 160 kicks (going in order of rounds)
25 min on the bike
3x3 min kicking- 175,160,161
25 min on the bike
3x3 min kicking- 160,160,170

Notes; Fun day, seemed like I was doing something all throughout and was able to keep my stamina. I also got to give my mom a lesson in boxing!

Matt
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/08/06 07:08 AM

Hey Dudley,

I really like your training. Are you doing any pad work for you combos. I use muay thai shields and a windy body pad for combo work and its awesome for targeting and powerbuilding. Good luck on your AAU and hope you do very well. Send some vids!

Brandon

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/08/06 02:47 PM

I'll make sure I post vids... if I do well.jk

Actually I don't really use hand held pads to often because I don't usually have anyone to hold them for me

When I get the opportunity I like to. I usually use either kick targets or punching mits if I do. But other than in class, almost all of my punching and kicking is done on the heavy bag.

Matt

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/09/06 09:58 PM

Thursday
2 hour tkd class

wasn't the hardest class ever, but was still a good one. We did kicks for most of the adult class then finished with sparring.

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/09/06 09:59 PM

Friday

1 hour tkd class. basic 30 min workout then forms and sparring.

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/11/06 09:11 PM

Saturday and Sunday: Rest

Just worked and went to church.

Matt

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/12/06 08:56 PM

Monday;

Morning; went for a two mile jog. Nothing fast took about 18-20 min.

Kinda funny, this monday I didn't get to get my upper body in because my grandparents came and we went to play golf after I came in from jogging. We played 18 holes. At least I was moving.

Was gone for that about 6 hours including lunch, so got back and got busy on lower body.

Lower Body; 3x3 min rounds kicking- 160,161,160 K.P.R
5 min. stretch
25 min on bike
3x3 min rounds-177,160,160
5 min. stretch
25 min on bike
3x3 min rounds-165,164,161
12 min rest then started on technique perfection
20x Roundhouse full power (each leg on all these)
20x snap kick
20x backs side kick
20x regular side kick
20x lead leg roundhouse low
20x lead leg roundhouse high
20x lead leg roundhouse slow
Axe kick 20x

Notes; Rounds felt pretty junky today. felt like I was dragging my kicks at times. My main problem right now is mental exhaustion, all this training is just starting to drag on me. Any of you overworked muscleheads got any suggestions to overcome that?

Matt
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/13/06 05:10 AM

The only thing you really can do is take a break, get more sleep and make sure you're eating enough. Looks liek you're doing well though!

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/13/06 08:32 AM

Trust me I eat enough

I have been getting to bed a little late and on the days I do, it does seem to definitley effect my training. So I have been trying to get to bed on time.

As far as taking a break, I am going to take about 3 days off before my competition, but it's so close I can' t take anything like a week off.

Matt
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/13/06 09:21 AM

Ah, well you see there's your mistake: take the week before the competition off. Just do some technique work, make sure you spar a little, but don't push yourself physically. Believe me, a week off before competition will not lower your competition fitness, and will in fact raise it because your body will be fully recovered, and your mind will be ready.

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/14/06 08:10 PM

Tuesday; Got to lead warmup. I kept the pace up and got them sweating. It was a good time. I also got to spar my instructor and learned much from this, that I need to keep my stomach guarded better and need to practice with a body pad more often (man I hate those things!)

Matt

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/14/06 08:21 PM

Wednesday

morning- Upper body; 2x3 min round
3 min stretch
1 min knife hand- I averaged around 40 each hand per minute
1 min ridge hand
1 min backfist
1 min upset
1 min crescent
1 min elbow
1 min front punch
3 min rest
10 min combo
2x3 min round
2 mile jog
notes; this workout was not overly great, jog felt good, but my punches today felt awkward and off balance. I am somewhat relearning how I usually punch so it is a transition.

Evening- Lower body- 3x3 min rounds kicking-166,167,164
5 min stretch
25 min on bike
3x3 min rounds- 170, 161,160
5 min stretch
25 min on bike
3x3 min rounds-162,167,163

Notes; this was a good workout. I am becoming more versatile with both legs and discovering new combos. It made me happy after a junky workout this morning

Matt

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/15/06 09:13 PM

Thursday; 2 hour tkd class.

First class had a basic warmup and then the us black belts did judo throws for the majority of class, then sparred.

Second class did quite a bit of stomach strengthening, then worked some self defense and finished with sparring. After everyone sparred we did bull in the ring with me in the middle where each of them had 30 seconds to try to kill me It was fun having to fight a fresh opponent when I was already tired, then we finished class and I sparred my instructor and got kicked around

Matt

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/18/06 11:15 AM

Friday; hour judo class with my grandmaster. I can feel it now

Matt

Re: Dudley32 Nationals training reg - 06/18/06 11:16 AM

Saturday and sunday; work, church, and rest

Matt