My Workout, what do you think?

Posted by: Vunry

My Workout, what do you think? - 05/19/06 08:28 AM

What do you think of this workout, for strength and fitness.
It's a 5 day system, the fifth day being the rest day.

Day 1
#####

Chest
`````

Bench Press - 5 x 12, 10, 8, 6, 4
Incline Press - 4 x 12, 8, 6, 4
Dumb-Bell Flys - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 6
Dips - 2 x Maximum
Pullovers - 2 x 10

Biceps
``````

Bar-bell Curls - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 6
Incline Dumb-bell curls - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 6
Standing Cable Reverse grip - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 6

Abs
```

Situps - 4 x Maximum
Hanging Leg Raises - 4 x Maximum
Side Bends - 4 x Maximum
Cable Crunches - 4 x Maximum

Day 2
#####

Shoulders
`````````

Seated Dumb-bell press - 4 x 10
Lataral Raise - 4 x 10
Bent-Over Laterals - 4 x 10

Abs
```

Situps - 4 x Maximum
Side Bends - 4 x Maximum

Day 3
#####

Legs
````

Leg Extension - 5 x 15, 12, 10, 8, 6
Squats - 5 x 12, 10, 8, 6, 4
Leg Press - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4
Lying Leg Curls - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 6
Calf Raise - 4 x 10

Abs
```

Situps - 4 x Maximum
Side Bends - 4 x Maximum

Day 4
#####

Back
````

Wide-grip pull-ups - 5 x 10
Bent-over rows - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4
Seated Cable rows - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 6
Cable Pull-downs - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4

Triceps
```````

Cable push-downs - 4 x 12, 10, 8, 6
Close-grip bench press - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4
Lying Triceps Extention - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4
Tricep Kickbacks - 4 x 10, 8, 6, 6

Abs
```

Situps - 4 x Maximum
Side Bends - 4 x Maximum

Day 5
#####

FULL REST

Day 6
#####

Repeat Workout from day 1

If no-one has read my previous post, I'm 19 and pretty fit.
Any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

Ben
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/19/06 11:59 AM

Too much volume. Far too much. 10 sets for each body part, maximum, and the back and biceps, chest and triceps should be grouped together.

It looks like you want to do something similar to what I was doing one or two cycles ago... I'll have a hunt through my log and bring up the relevant workout.

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/19/06 12:09 PM

here we go:

Monday and Friday: Leg Day
----------------------------
Squat (5*6)
Ab Crunchy (5*8)
Calf Raise (4*8)

Tuesday and Saturday: Upper Body Day
-------------------------
Bench Press(4*8)
Tricep Dip(4*8)
Seated Row(4*8)
Bicep Curl(4*8)

Stuff I'd change? Well, I did change to something I still think was more effective:

Tue and Sat: Upper body day
Chest Press (5*6)
Weighted Chinup(5*8)
Twisting Ab Crunchy (5*8)

Mon and Fri: Lower Body Day
Squat(5*5)
Farmer's Walk + Lunges (4*8)

As you can see, the second workout is lower volume, but I prefered it, and still made good gains.

By the way, doing a 30 minute run *every* day seems like overkill... drop it to maybe 3 or 4 days a week. Your Martial Arts training should give you some cardio as well.

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/19/06 12:42 PM

So if you were to change this workout, what would you reduct from each day? Limit it to 2 to 3 diffrent exercises per body part?

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/19/06 12:56 PM

Quote:

So if you were to change this workout, what would you reduct from each day? Limit it to 2 to 3 diffrent exercises per body part?

Just 2 exercises per body part, and count tricep + chest as one 'body part', and bicep + back as another 'body part'. Get rid of the leg extension, it's dangerous and useless if you're squatting. For legs, I recommend squats and farmer's walk lunges - but you could always 'try' squats + deadlifts, although I guarantee that this will be horrific and nigh on impossible to do well.

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/19/06 01:05 PM

Quote:

Get rid of the leg extension, it's dangerous

Might I ask why? if so i'll gladly remove it.

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/19/06 01:12 PM

When you bring the leg up to the top of the movement, there is (dure to the pivoted nature of the movement) inevitably some momentum left on the weight, which means that when you stop lifting, the weight travels up a small amount above your leg. At the top points of the movement, a large amount of strain is placed on the knee joint as it is, but the extra momentum of the weight arm falling onto the knee can place a dangerous level of stress on the knee joint. Added to this, many people hyper-extend the knee, meaning the stress on the join is even greater. All in all, the knee is a complicated joint and you should avoid putting it in situations like this where it is placed under undue stress.

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/19/06 01:38 PM

So what would you change/remove/keep in that current workout? Keeping it at the 5 day rule?

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/19/06 06:07 PM

Well, I honestly don't have time to go through and systematically give you a new five-day workout... I'm guessing you might be interested in Chad Waterbury's HFT, which you can find here

I've never tried it before, but others I've spoken to have had decent results.

To be honest, I really don't understand why you need to be training 5 days a week... it seems totally like overkill. 4 times a week for strength training seems plenty - me and Dereck only train once every 3-4 days! The workout I posted above that I've done before has worked well for me on a 4-day cycle, so I'll recommend it to you as well.

Remember that training is highly individual - it's your body, and as you train more you'll understand what works well and what doesn't. Some people respond well to high frequencey (Arnold Schwarzenegger comes to mind) and some to low (Mike Mentzer and Calzaghe). You need to find exercises you like, and an order you like. Good luck!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/19/06 06:24 PM

Definitely design your workout to suit your needs. Chances are this will be one of many exercises you will try over the years. I've done 5 day and 6 day workouts where I worked different muscles groups or grouped muscle groups. I've tried numerous of workouts with some with okay results, some with great results and others with minimal or no results. It is all trial and error.

The one true thing I have found is that the harder you workout, and the time over the years that you have put into working out, you do not need to work out as often to maintain or get results. This would be one of the workouts that Tim was referring to that both of us are doing at the moment; HIT (High Intensity Training).

If you have fun doing a larger workout then do so and give it a try. Modify it to yourself and change little things here and there. Again, this workout won't be the one you stick with for the rest of your life. Have fun but don't be married to your workouts. Balance your life with family and friends ... but when you work out ... put your all into it and make the most of that time. Again like ab work ... Quality is better then Quantity.

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/20/06 07:26 AM

Ok, since am new to weight-training in general how about this for the first 2 months.

Workout

Tuesday/Thursday/Saterday

Chest: Bench press - 3 x 12
Back: Bent-over row - 3 x 12
Shoulders: Military press 3 x 12
Legs: Squat 3 x 12
Calf: Calf rasies 3 x 12
Biceps: Bar-bell curl 3 x 12
Tricepts: Cable push-down 3 x 12
Abs: Crunches 3 x maximum

Then step it up a notch after I built my base?

Ben

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/20/06 08:52 AM

Sounds fine, but weight the crunches.

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/20/06 11:40 AM

Quote:

Sounds fine, but weight the crunches.

So I weight them should I do normal sets like, 3 x 12?
Also I thought about doing a 3 mile run on tuesday/thursday and saterday what do you think?

ps: Training for the Royal Marine Commandos, so alot of running will be done once am there.

Ben

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/21/06 09:51 AM

yes to all those questions

Re: My Workout, what do you think? - 05/22/06 03:30 PM

Thanks for helping me out in this situation.

Ben