*Drumroll* Review my workout!

Posted by: Mr_Heretik

*Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/14/06 03:49 PM

Alright its about time I posted my workout, and got some comments on it. I don't think its anything special really, any comments would be appreciated(just please don't tell me to split my workout throughout the week, it feels incomplete whenever I tried it). Alright I'm 16 years old, 5'6", 121 lbs.

Ab Training
3 Circuits Before Every at-home workout
Traditional Crunch - MAX
Bent-Leg Knee Raise - MAX
Oblique V-UP - Alot - Both Sides(Usually around 30...I need a good oblique exercise that actually lets me FEEL tired)
Bridge - As long as I can hold it
Back Raises - MAX(I put my lower back exercise in my core workout, just makes sense to me)

Monday
Ab Workout + Strength Training- 25 lbs
Squat - 12(Nothing much really, thinking of maybe doing 50 for those)
Pushups - 10(4 seconds to go down, 4 to come back up)
Bent Over Row - 10
Military Press - 10(these really get me tired, love 'em)
Upright Row - 10
Triceps Kickback - 10-12(depends on how I feel)
Squat againt a wall - MAX
Biceps Curl - 10
Leg Curl -12(maybe should do 50lbs for these as well)

Note: Sorry I could use some better organization for my writing and workout I guess.

Tuesday - TKD Class for 1 Hour

Wednesday-Same as Monday + TKD Class(The Wednesday Classes are sparring ONLY, nothing else)

Thursday - Normal TKD Class

Friday
Ab Workout + Strength Training
Squat - 10-12
Pushups - 10
Bent Over Row - 10
Traveling Lunch - 10-12 per leg(again I'm thinking of doing 50)
Military Press - 10
Upright Row - 10
Step-Ups(SHUT UP!) - 10-12(again 50 lbs)
Triceps Kickback - 10-12
Squat Against Wall - MAX
Biceps Curl - 10
Leg Curl -10-12

Saturday
Ab Workout Followed by HIIT:
3-5 Minutes Warmup
2 minutes high intensity followed by 2 minutes low(repeat once)
30 seconds high followed by 30 low(repeat 4 times)
60 yard-sprint followed by 90 second rest(repeat 6-10 times)
3-5 minutes cooldown(slow-motion jogging really, heh)

Sunday
Watch TV, Diet Cheating Day

Final Thoughts: I used to do wrist curls and calf raises often, but somewhere along the way I just stopped dong them, perhaps make a seperate workout just for them? I'm thinking of doing 50 lbs for squats, lunges, step-ups, and other exercises similiar to those. If I weight 121 and am using 25 lb dumbbells, am I relatively "strong" for my weight?
Posted by: Cord

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/14/06 04:15 PM

I dont have anything hugely negative to say (makes a change ). Using the same weight for all exercises, it is likely that you are working harder on some than others. Example, i bet that 10 upright rows with 25lbs are harder than 10 bent over rows right? You need to make the level of effort you experience uniform, not the amount of weight you use. It will probably mean fiddling around adjusting the bar, but that part of the fun of training at home

Nothing wrong with weighted box step ups- providing you keep your hips stable and get a strong positive drive, they are very good.

With your push ups, have you slowed the movement because you can do more at normal pace, and want to maintain a low rep level of fatigue? If so, that is commendable, but training slow is not very good for power. instead, lower yourself slow, pause at the bottom of the movement, then drive up hard as possible and put a hand clap at the top. Repeat in that fashion.
You have a lot of exercises, but one lot of everything means that you are in no danger of overtraining, as you get fitter/stronger, you could probably go as high as 3 circuits, but no more than that without dropping some of the movements.

I like keeping your lower back withyour abs, that shows good understanding of the relationship between them, you could go further and put you hamstring curls with the core workout as well, but its up to you.

much more to like than dislike- just make sure you use the right weight for each exercise, not what is most convenient

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/14/06 04:28 PM

I've only done a full 3 circuits once, but I rested alot more than I should've and things got sloppy. You're right about using different weights for different muscle groups; The triceps kickback and military press are much harder than just about everything. What about the wrist curls and calf exercises? Should I work on those on saturday? Since those exercises don't get me too sore or tired anyay? And with those, should I go with 3 circuits to MAX as well? I also need help finding an oblique exercise that can actually make me feel tired, since I can't even tell when doing those oblique v-ups. As for the pushups, to me they're sort of a warm up for the bent-over row. I'm not sure why.

Well its good to "hear" that my workout is good, I guess that'll give me some more motivation. Thanks alot.

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/14/06 05:27 PM

i wouldnt bother with the wrist curls, and instead of calve raises, get a skip rope and incorporate it into your HIIT.

as for obliques, you could try weighted side crunches, or uneven weighted barbell twists

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/14/06 09:42 PM

A skip rope in my HIIT routine, thats a great idea. I'm glad I thought of that . For obliques, any GOOD exercise that combines the use of Rectus abdominis and obliques? Most of them only make me feel the upper and lower abs tired, is it even possible to have your obliques feel that way? Cord, I've noticed on more than one occasion that you don't really support the use of wrist curls, are they just not H4RDC0R3 enough for you?

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/15/06 04:45 AM

Name me one instance in real life where being strong in the range of motion of a wrist curl will be of benefit. The only one I can think of is arm wrestling,and then its by far the least important component of a very specific voluntary pastime.

wrist curls for forearm strength are simply not as effective as functional heavy grip exercises. Heavy shrugs, heavy rowing or pulldown movements, deadlifts, and farmers walk all work your forearms more effectively than isolating them. Its nothing to do with 'hardcore', its everything to do with not wasting your time doing less effective exercises.
Popeye is who you think of when you think big forearms right? Popeye is a charecature of an old time sailor. Sailors/trawlermen were reknowned for the strength of their grip and the thickness of their arms-why? Was it because they took dumbells to sea with them and spent their rest time doing wrist curls? or was it because they spent their time hauling nets out of the sea by hand, climbing rigging, using pulleys to raise heavy sails, and hanging on to guide ropes during violent storms?
Think about it.

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/15/06 10:49 PM

Okay you win on that one, heh.
Posted by: Al_Fernz

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/16/06 04:01 AM

Im wondering why you would do your ab training before you do your strenghtening work? You use your abs doing things like squats etc. Fatiguing them beforehand may cause you to carry out some of your other exercises with bad form. I would suggest you do them after your strenghening work.

Oh and another tip for doing the "bridge" is to set yourself a time to beat rather than just going until your tired. Setting a time goal will motivate you to stay in position longer.

Good luck!

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/16/06 05:28 AM

He devotes a whole workout to training his core and posterior chain, and addresses his big compound movements in a seperate workout. Nothing wrong with that, ask the fellas at Westside Barbell
Posted by: Al_Fernz

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/16/06 11:00 AM

Quote:

He devotes a whole workout to training his core and posterior chain, and addresses his big compound movements in a seperate workout. Nothing wrong with that, ask the fellas at Westside Barbell

My bad, I see that now. I thought he was doing the whole lot on top of one another.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/16/06 12:13 PM

Quote:

Go Westside! I love their training concepts/articles, really interesting stuff. I may try their bench workout next year, after I've given Waterbury's HFT a try

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/16/06 10:28 PM

Well I used to have the ab workout and the strength workout in a giant circuit, but on my second circuit I'd spend so much time doing the ab exercises that I felt I ended up resting everything else for too long, didn't feel as intense. For a while I went with it and then decided to tamper and make them seperate, and making the ab workout go to maximum, rather than just a big number.

Another questions, lets say 25lbs becomes too easy for me and I'm able to pull off all 3 circuits with it, should I stick with the 25 till all my muscles can deal with it? My triceps have a much harder time than the rest of my body, so should I stick with the 25lbs until all my muscles "find it" easy so I have a balance? I know this might slow the progress of my other muscle groups, but I think it'd be worth spending a little extra time in order to be balanced.

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/18/06 12:35 AM

Update, Upright Rows have started to become easy. This is what I was talking about, once alot of the exercises become too easy for the other muscle groups and not the triceps, should I stick with the weight until its easy for all muscle groups?

Re: *Drumroll* Review my workout! - 05/21/06 11:01 PM

Woah I was digging through a closet and came across my mom's old swiss ball.

Can I use it for bench(swiss?) presses? If so, should I do a lighter weight so until I get used to it? I tried sitting on it and it was difficult trying to balance.