Some Questions!

Posted by: nicegi

Some Questions! - 05/09/06 08:27 AM

Hey, i have some questions and i know you guys always have something good to say so here goes:

1. If you are a 'skinny' guy, will you gain the same muscle as a normal weight guy?
2. Is there an exercise that broadens the width of your waist i.e. from inside left forearm to inside right? (I didn't think there would be but thought i should ask seeing as there are muscles there)
3. What is the name of the weight lift that broadens your shoulders (you know the one where you pull up at either side)?
4. Heres a controversial one: what is the evidence that stunted growth through weight training is 100% myth? Is it just that there is no evidence for the counter arguement or what?
5. If, by the end of a work out, you dont feel completely worn out but just "phew, that was good" then feel relatively normal after 10 minutes, should you add more reps/weight or stay the same?
6. Is it wise to do weight training for the legs after running or something like badminton?
7. Is it true that you should only do weights for a certain area every second day so you can rebuild and repair on alternate days (the legend Tony Buzan recommends this)?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Some Questions! - 05/09/06 10:39 AM

Quote:

1. If you are a 'skinny' guy, will you gain the same muscle as a normal weight guy?

There really is no "normal", and weight does not have much to do with being a "hard gainer" or not. Weight lifting will help you build as much muscle as your body allows.

Quote:

2. Is there an exercise that broadens the width of your waist i.e. from inside left forearm to inside right? (I didn't think there would be but thought i should ask seeing as there are muscles there)

Broaden your waist? LOL. Eating!

Quote:

3. What is the name of the weight lift that broadens your shoulders (you know the one where you pull up at either side)?

Pullups or chinups? I am not sure what you are talking about. Many excercises will work the shoulders including military press, deadlift, power cleans, and shrugs.

Quote:

4. Heres a controversial one: what is the evidence that stunted growth through weight training is 100% myth? Is it just that there is no evidence for the counter arguement or what?

Myth in my experience.

Quote:

5. If, by the end of a work out, you dont feel completely worn out but just "phew, that was good" then feel relatively normal after 10 minutes, should you add more reps/weight or stay the same?

Personally, I don't beleive in shredding your body on every single workout. Recovery is just as important as the workout, IMHO.

Quote:

6. Is it wise to do weight training for the legs after running or something like badminton?

I would assume you would want to do weights BEFORE cardio, so as not to minimize the weight that you would be able to lift.

Quote:

7. Is it true that you should only do weights for a certain area every second day so you can rebuild and repair on alternate days (the legend Tony Buzan recommends this)?

Yes, recovery is very important.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Some Questions! - 05/09/06 11:16 AM

Quote:

You can do so, but you will have to be much more exacting with the supply of quality nutrition, and also make sure you get lots of rest.
Quote:

If you have a slim waist then enjoy it. Not many do As long as you have strong abs, then increased size should not be something you aim for. At his best, Arnie competed with a 28inch waist, and a 54inch chest! Make your chest as big as you like, but keep your waist as small as possible.
Quote:

Lateral raise, but overhead press is much better for beefing up the shoulders than laterals.
Quote:

Its not controversial at all. Weight training/lifting has no effect on the bodies growth plates. it wont stunt your growth, anymore than hanging from a door frame will make you taller Your adult height is decided in your genes- thats scientific fact, only extreme malnutrition or severe trauma (and subsequent physiological malfunction) can change this outcome.

Quote:

A good workout should be hard work and challenging, but 10 mins after it you should feel energised and 'up', not wiped out or nauseous. Listen to your body, push hard, but respect your limitations, and dont be afraid to have rest days if you feel rundown.

Quote:

If you are crosstraining for general fitness, then weights after cardio is fine. If you are training with muscle and/or strength gain as goals, then you will do much better by doing weights and cardio on different days

Quote:

You can go longer than 48 hours between workouts for specific bodyparts. Most bodybuilders train each bodypart only once per week. i have known power lifters to do the same with squat deadlift and bench- once per week for each.
Recovery is everything, especially if you are naturaly skinny.

Now I have a question. Who the heck is tony Buzan?
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Some Questions! - 05/09/06 12:05 PM

Quote:

Now I have a question. Who the heck is tony Buzan?

He's an educational psychologist/ self-help bloke who brought 'mind mapping' (brainstorms or spider-webs) back into fashion in the teaching profession. Clever guy, and his methods are very useful - I should know, I've got the first of my AS exams on Monday
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Some Questions! - 05/09/06 12:52 PM

Quote:

How much muscle you put on depends on a multitude of factors. The answer to your question is maybe.

Quote:

See the recent thread in this forum titled 'strengthening the waist'

Quote:

Thomas Kurz, a man who certainly knows his stuff when it comes to training, says that "Children 13 to 14 years old should refrain from lifting more than 50% of their body weight", and "Children as young as 7 or 8 year can work with resistance that can be overcome 12 to 15 times per set". So perhaps there is a case against very heavy, maximal strength training for prepubescent children.

Quote:

It depends on your goals. For pure strength training, you should feel stronger, livelier and more energetic walking out of the gym than you did walking in.

Quote:

Lifting beforehand or on seperate days would be better, as you need to be fresh for strength training.

Quote:

Again, this depends on too many confounding factors to permit a straight answer. If you're lifting half your max for one rep, then you can train several times a day without overtraining. If you're completely exhausting yourself with drop sets to failure, you might have to wait a week to recover. Highly conditioned athletes can handle more training than the average guy. The dominant Bulgarian weightlifting team train three times a day, seven days a week, with 90% of their maximum loads. Diet, hydrotherapy, meditation, stretching, massage, sleep, stress, your activity between weight training sessions and even laughter all play a role in how fast you recover.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Some Questions! - 05/09/06 02:41 PM

the point about heavy weight lifting being contra indicated in the developing body is nothing to do with stunting growth, it can however, be detrimental to the correct development of the spine. Regular heavy lifts such as squat, deadlift and overhead press, whilst the spine is growing increase the chance of irregularities in spinal shape such as scoliosis, laudosis and kyphosis. By deforming the natural 'S' curvature of the spine you put uneven load through the disks, and inevitably get back pain from which there is little chance of reprieve.

As for the Bulgarian weightlifting team, as well as the factors mentioned it is worth pointing out that pharmaceutical factors will be playing a large part in their uncanny recovery abilities.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Some Questions! - 05/10/06 06:54 AM

Quote:

As for the Bulgarian weightlifting team, as well as the factors mentioned it is worth pointing out that pharmaceutical factors will be playing a large part in their uncanny recovery abilities.

Haha, that too! Also the fact that the Olympic lifts are concentric-only.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Some Questions! - 05/10/06 11:43 AM

Quote:

the point about heavy weight lifting being contra indicated in the developing body is nothing to do with stunting growth, it can however, be detrimental to the correct development of the spine. Regular heavy lifts such as squat, deadlift and overhead press, whilst the spine is growing increase the chance of irregularities in spinal shape such as scoliosis, laudosis and kyphosis. By deforming the natural 'S' curvature of the spine you put uneven load through the disks, and inevitably get back pain from which there is little chance of reprieve.

Not to mention that it's probably not safe in maturity terms allowing young kids to weight train - I know I wouldn't have had the maturity to lift safely at 11.

Quote:

Heh, too bad they ain't gonna be having kids thanks to those 'pharmaceutical factors'