Getting off your ass!

Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 12:48 PM

Not that the title refers to anyone here, but I was just wondering if anybody had any good motivational techniques for getting up at around 04:00am to run.

I dont know why but running seems to put me in a different psychological mood than say sparring or weight training, with those I can just get and do it regardless of the mood Im in, but running I find it hard to get round to.

Maybe Im just lazy, could be, probably am and I just didnt want to admit it (just did, kinda).

So Ladies and Gentlmen, any advice?

edited for spelling
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 01:09 PM

don't get up and run at 4 in the morning... your body needs a lot of sleep, the more you exercise the more sleep you need. I', sure if you went to sleep at 7 the day before then it would be ok. otherwise what's the point?
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 01:34 PM

Yea, i tried that routine (not that early, i tried at 7 am). It didnt work well for me neither. Everyone is different, some people can get up that early and train, others cant. Find your grove and things will be easier to do. I found that running at night before bed works best for me. If you wanna get technical it is best to train in the evening. Something about anabolic to catabolic ratios are higher , i just started to learn this stuff
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 02:32 PM

Quote:

If you wanna get technical it is best to train in the evening. Something about anabolic to catabolic ratios are higher

yikes, I have to comment

A) anabolic and catabolic are terms used to describe your metabolic state. You are either one or the other, not both. So, there is no ratio. Your body will not consume muscle and build muscle all at the same time. it simply makes no sense. You can definitely have varying levels of metabolic state, however the chemical process for each end of the scale is different and they can't work at the same time.

B) as far as it being technically best to train in the evening, that is not true. For some athletes it is best to train in the evening, for others it is best to train in the morning or at noon. Each person has their own cycle of energy and what works for one might be detrimental for another. So while for some people it is best to train in the evening, there is nothing "technical" about it.

One danger in running before bed is that you flush your brain with dopamine and other fun chemicals that can prevent the onset of sleep and will make you poorly rested. Again some people can handle this while others cant.

One danger in running at 4 am is that your body is running on stored energy and if you don't eat something right after waking up to get your metabolism going, you will be heavily catabolic during your exercise. Again, people all have different metabolisms so some can handle this while others cannot.

To the original poster I say try it but if you cannot drag your butt out of bed regularly, or find it makes you more tired during the day then bag the early morning workouts. Just because someone gets up at 4am to run does not make them more dedicated. You can get dedicated to hard work at any time of day but only certain times will be best for *you*

Re: Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 02:48 PM

Getting up early is no problem for me, I get up at 5/5:30 on a school day so I have plenty og time to get ready for the 6:50am bus into town.

Im under no illusion that getting up earlier makes you more dedicated, its just that I like to be alone when I train so early morning seems to be the best time, and also I get back home too late to do running.

getting up an hour earlier is no problem, it just depends on what Im getting up for.

For example school, 5:30, 5 days a week I go to school, I get an education plus £30 in the bank at the end of the week.

Now running, I dont get it, I set my alarm to 04:00, get up and then do something else, I think of running and then my motivation just gets switched off.

So I really need some ideas of how to get into a good routine.

Please
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 02:57 PM

Curious why you are set on running? Granted running is a great cardio exercise, but there are others too. I would say if you do another cardio exercises, then great...I personally hate running. I tend to have the same problem,. I want to run, but end up doing some other type of cardio work. I try to not get defeated by it, because I still did something..:)

Re: Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 03:18 PM

Recently Ive been doing 30mins to 1 hour of bagwork now and again but it takes too long to build up a sweat, I thimk running will do a better job.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 05:02 PM

I look better then you! Girls look at me more then they would ever look at you! I laugh at skinny little boys like you! I will always be stronger and better then you! Dont you want your friends to say "damn" what happened to you, you look good. Or your family, or the neighbors wife across the street. Motivation is king my friend.
If you have money, buy a treadmill and run on that. This way you can watch tv or whatever while running.

Re: Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 07:39 PM

OOOOOoooooKKkkkaaaayyy.....
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 08:02 PM

LOL just trying to motivate you..Its hard at first to start doing something. I hate running, trust me its boring. Nothing is harder some mornings after 5 hours of sleep then to start running. The satisfaction with looking at my body and noticing the changes is worth it, it pays off. It's all about motivation.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Getting off your ass! - 04/02/06 09:11 PM

Ok Mr. big shot, now i feel like an idiot! *goju runs to the corner and studies a little harder.*

I just started to study this stuff, i was kind of brave to try and be smart not knowing that much YET, BUT, i did read that it is more benifcal to train in the evening. I will have to get the book out and find it, no time right now. Its in the aaai/isma study guide, or the supplement. I will get back to you on that.