Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!!

Posted by: BrianS

Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/13/06 04:35 AM

As many of you long time members know,I was SANCHIN31. That was my user name before and during my bout with cancer. I was a member here for about 8months when I was diagnosed.
Before the fight I was 195lbs,but dropped to 155lbs during the chemotherapy months and I had ALOT of it. My sessions were 4.5-5hrs a day,5 days a week,every three weeks. The main drug I took was cisplatin,it's a nasty drug. They gave me enough to push me seemingly to the brink of death,then as soon as I felt a little normal it was time for another round.
Well,I finished chemo back in October,then I had the flu and several other infections due to having a low immune system. For the last couple of months I have felt pretty good and my workout has returned to almost normal.
Here it is:
I do these excercises variably with my karate training and I still work on basics,kata,bagwork,and sparring.
Crunches
Supine bicycle
Scissor kicks - I do these for abs

Pushups-regular, wide arm, and close hands
Overhead dumbell pressups
Butterflys with dumbells
curls
tricep raises -I do all of these for upper body.

Hindu squats
Calf raises
Squats with dumbells -I do these for lower body

Burpees
Front-back-go's (pushup-situp-run in place,repeated quickly)
Jogging/sprints - I do these for cardio

Eventually my routine will change to more weight training,but for now I guess it's ok? The dumbells I use are a pair of 25lbs.

I weighed myself tonight and I weighed 189lbs!! That's quite an improvement. I'm also taking whey protein and creatine (ketoglutomate). (I know,but I bought the stuff,so I'm going to use it,lol!)

I'd like to keep track of my progress here. Feel free to chime in with any advice(or criticism). By the way,I'm 32yrs old and 6'2".

Posted by: Cord

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/13/06 05:02 AM

Quote:

I'd like to keep track of my progress here. Feel free to chime in with any advice(or criticism). By the way,I'm 32yrs old and 6'2".

..... and he has a lovely singing voice, enjoys Bunkai and long walks on the beach

Welcome back to the land of the active my friend! glad that your weight is getting back up there.
The programe looks fine- basic calisthenics, nothing OTT. I would recommend doing some pullups to balance out the 2 pushing movements you have (push up, and shoulder press).

Also, as something to aim for, lok to combine your burpees, front to backs and HI running, into the following.

Burpee down to press up position, press up, roll over, sit up, roll back, tuck in (continuing burpee), plyo verticle jump, straight to 25m sprint. Repeat at other end, but 25m jog return.
Aim for 5 returns (10 in total)done with no recovery other than the jog, and build from there.

Call it a 'welcome back present'

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/13/06 05:08 AM

Quote:

Burpee down to press up position, press up, roll over, sit up, roll back, tuck in (continuing burpee), plyo verticle jump, straight to 25m sprint. Repeat at other end, but 25m jog return.
Aim for 5 returns (10 in total)done with no recovery other than the jog, and build from there.

That sounds awesome,I'll do it!!

As far as pullups go,I really don't have anything to pull up on.? I'll have to think on that one.

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/13/06 05:21 AM

If you have no pull up available, then shift all the weight onto 1 dumbell, making it around 50lbs. get a bench, or a couple of sturdy chairs placed seat to seat. Now put one knee and the matching hand down on the 'bench' so that you have one leg on the floor and the rest of you bent so the body is parallel to the floor. With your free hand hold the heavy dumbell (let it hang straight down). Now pull it up to your lower rib cage, drawing your elbow tight past the torso and squeexing the shoulder blades, slowly return do the start position and repeat for reps. Now switch supporting stance and do even reps with the other arm. This is called 'one arm dumbell row' and is a good movement for the back.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/13/06 08:06 AM

I dont really have any to add about your workout, it seems great. Just wanted to say welcome back to the weights and awesome job kicking cancer's ass!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/13/06 10:37 AM

Great improvement, Brian! Glad to hear things are coming along for you, and keep it up!
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/13/06 11:43 AM

I stil can't get over the fact that you've made almost 1000 posts in just over 2 months... You must have damn strong forearms at the very least Nice plan anyway, and I'm glad to see Cord offer something suitably masochistic
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/13/06 12:33 PM

Atta boy Brian. Gives me inspiration to work harder. Take care of yourself and keep at it.
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/13/06 03:27 PM

Definatly an improvement, keep it up.

*dcm bows low to BrianS, the inspirational role model*

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/14/06 04:33 AM

I added the bent over rows tonight, it's GOOD!!!

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/14/06 04:44 AM

Nice one! Always work your weakest arm first, and match its ability with your stronger arm- this ensures you dont create imbalance. Also remember not to twist the body or 'heave' the weight. Keep tight, and when its done, its done- no 'cheat' reps

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/16/06 12:44 AM

We did the modified burpees at the end of class tonight,whew. Talk about wabbling,the whole class was bent over in agony afterwards,fun!

BTW, in sparring tonight I was knocked out cold. I was sparring my instructor and I'm still a bit rusty. I threw a leg kick with my left leg and came in with my guard down. He caught me on the chin with a left hook. He had pulled it,but I basically ran into it. The next thing I knew I was sitting up and him and the other blackbelts were attending to me. That's the first time in a long time that I took a shot like that.

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/16/06 12:54 AM

Brian fall down and go bang.

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/20/06 03:03 PM

I feel great after getting back from my trip to oldman's! Saturday was a real test for my conditioning. After two seperate classes at his dojo we went for a BJJ class which icluded some 3minute sparring rounds with hardly a break inbetween. Mark and I questioned our conditioning,but then remembered th two morning classes the others had not had. We're ok.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 02/20/06 03:22 PM

Wow that does sound like it would be tiring I am glad to see you had a fun trip though.

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 03/01/06 09:16 PM

Whew! Had a great class tonight. After teaching some bunkai for a while we did 10minute rounds of sparring with 5min inbetween rounds,fun,but exausting. We included all ranges during the sparring session as well. We ended the class with some of those modified burpees Cord gave us and made plans for saturday,yee haw.

I'm up to 194lbs now,that's just one pound under my pre-cancer weight. I think I'll slow down on the protein for a couple of weeks and then pick it back up again. My goal is to achieve and maintain 205lbs.
Any more tips or advice would be appreciated,always looking to improve my game.
Thanks a many!
-B

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 03/02/06 12:42 AM

Getting back on track Brian, excellent news. You get two thumbs up from me.

Re: Who's SANCHIN31? Back in the saddle!! - 03/05/06 10:55 PM

Thanks Dereck!

I now have a weight bench with 250lbs of weight. That should add some variety to my workout. I am going to start training for size more now. It also has the leg attachment. I'll look into some of the routines you guys do and see what I come up with.

peace out brother!!!!!!!!