My weekly training regime

Posted by: bo-ken

My weekly training regime - 12/23/05 01:38 PM

Every week I change what days I target different areas of my body. So for example one week I might do chest on Monday and the next week on Wednesday. So this text is not etched in stone but this is my workout log as of right now.

Chest and Upper back:
1. Dips 5x10
2. Dumb bell bench 5x5 or 3x6
3. Bent over rows 3x6-10 depending on weight
4. Incline Dumb bell bench 3x6
5. Cable butterflies 3x10
6. Pull ups 5x10 sometimes less then 10

Arms:
1. Triceps extensions 5x5
2. Push presses 3x6-10
3. Chin ups 3x10
-One arm assisted chin ups 2x5
-One arm chin ups 1 with each arm if I can
4. Dumb bell snatches 3x5 with each hand
5. Dumb swings 3x5 with each hand
6. Dumb bell clean and press 3x5 with each hand
7. Farmers walks I perform this exercise 2-3 times

Core:
1. lower back hyperextensions 3x20 with or without weight
2. Dumb bell side bends 3x10
3. Saxon side bends
4. Russian twists on a decline bench 20 reps
5. Medicine ball crunches on a decline bench 10-20 reps
6. Plank for time

Legs:
1. Front squats 3x6 or 5x5
2. Hamstring extensions 3 sets
3. Dumb bell lunges 3x10
4. Plyo knee tucks, squat jumps, and lunge jumps
5. Jumping rope for calves and ankles

Monday: Karate 7:30-8:30
Tuesday: Wallyball 7:00-8:30
Wednesday: Karate 8:15-9:15
Thursday: Wallyball 7:00-8:30
Friday: Karate 8:15-9:15
Saturday: Heavy bag
Sunday: REST
I do not perform all of the exercises every night. For example Chest and Upper back would be one night and the next would be Legs. I also do not perform all of the exercises in each group all in one day. My Core session isn’t usually that long same with the other groups. One night I might do 3 Arm exercises and 3 Core exercise together. This is just a list of my major exercises. It may seem like a lot but believe me I do not do all of them in each group in one night so don’t go nuts. Do you see any problems with this regime? Are there any exercises that I should take out and replace with others? Any comments would be great thank you all for reading this.
Posted by: Cord

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/23/05 01:55 PM

None of the exercises you mention are bad, but you are using too many variables for my liking. You need to keep to the same exercises, with the same volume and on the same days, at least for 6-8 weeks at a time. If you are doing different stuff in different quantities every workout, then you cant compare week to week to guage your improvement, nor if things get worse, can you stand a chance of pinpointing the cause.
Look at it this way. You have your orange belt grading coming up, you know that you will have to perform 'Kata x' and 'Waza x' to pass your grading. Makes sense to spend the weeks running up to the grading practicing these things doesnt it? Thats how you get good at them. If you spend your time each karate session being sidetracked doing Kata's a,d, and e, then a little waza work from O to Q, then your grading is not going to go well.
Improvement in training is like a grading, you must be more focussed and specific to improve. The number of people who truly do better training 'instinctively' as opposed to following an easily monitored structure are very few.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/23/05 01:58 PM

Captian Cord ... I concur.

I am not sure if I'm missing it but do you have time set aside for your shoulders. Some of the exercises will incorporate these as secondary muscles but I don't really see anything that has them as primary. If there is and I missed it I aplogize in advance.

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/23/05 02:11 PM

Thats a good point Dereck, whilst everything listed is compound related, the use of the term 'arm training' shows where mental emphasis lies. Better to focus on shoulders over arms every time (well, except summer time of course )

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/23/05 02:24 PM

Well push presses and dumbell swings arm my shoulder exercises. Also, Cord what did you find wrong with my regimen? Was it the fact that I do 5x5 for some and 3x6 for others? Maybe I just didn't know what you talking about.

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/23/05 02:59 PM

well, its very vague. You do not say what days you do what, and freely say I dont do all this at once, one workout I do this, the next i change and do something different.
So really what you have done is give us a list of exercises you like, but not in a structure that you follow, because you do not follow a set structure. My opinion is that this is not the best way to go about things. Please read my initial post to get the jist of the negatives about not maintaining a regulated predictable workout regime.
Posted by: spartanwarlord

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/23/05 07:58 PM

Boken, I feel you are doing way too many exercises. You dont need that many. Just up the intensity and use one good one for each body part.

Military Press should be added for your shoulders. Chicks love broad shoulders
Posted by: JasonM

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/23/05 08:12 PM

I agree with the masses. A good example is my buddy and me. My friend works out similiar to what you have listed and I do 4 exercises. Bench, Standing military press, squats and Reverse Pull-ups. Using 5X5 for the reps and sets. And guess what, when my buddy works out with me, he can't even hang. I am not bragging, but he actually frustates him that he can't even bench the bar with two 45's on each side. I guess my point is, less is more and I live by that. So, now my friend wants to incorporate my workout.

And, I have to give thanks to cords, Dereck and the other experts, sorry if I didn't mention your name, for all the help. I used to think isolation exercises and tons of reps, sets and exercises were the way to go..I definitely have seen the light thanks to this thread..:)

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/24/05 04:07 AM

Glad that things are working out (pardon the pun) and that the forum has helped
Posted by: spartanwarlord

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/24/05 04:57 AM

Quote:

I agree with the masses. A good example is my buddy and me. My friend works out similiar to what you have listed and I do 4 exercises. Bench, Standing military press, squats and Reverse Pull-ups. Using 5X5 for the reps and sets. And guess what, when my buddy works out with me, he can't even hang. I am not bragging, but he actually frustates him that he can't even bench the bar with two 45's on each side. I guess my point is, less is more and I live by that. So, now my friend wants to incorporate my workout.

And, I have to give thanks to cords, Dereck and the other experts, sorry if I didn't mention your name, for all the help. I used to think isolation exercises and tons of reps, sets and exercises were the way to go..I definitely have seen the light thanks to this thread..:)

Glad to see that you are doing the standing military press! Only girls do the sitting down version. It will work your core, your back, and pretty much everything. Plus, it makes you look so manly pressing your bodyweight above your head.

Keep lifting that weight. Weight lifting is something you can do for the rest of your life. incorporated with cardio, you've got the basis for a long and healthy life.

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/24/05 05:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice I am going to try and structure my workout regimen more. Structuring my workout plan should help me maximize my time. I guess this plan is written very vague in a few weeks I will try and make a better day to day plan.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/26/05 04:33 PM

Quote:

Dammit MrMoyer, you forgot the greatest and wisest poster on the forums! What?!! Why is everyone laughing?!! I *will* be the greatest poster of them all!
Posted by: JasonM

Re: My weekly training regime - 12/26/05 07:38 PM

Man, so sorry dude...How could I forget the soon to be greatest..:)