Tim's Workout Journal

Posted by: TimBlack

Tim's Workout Journal - 10/21/05 02:41 PM

Okay, I said I'd do this, so here it is. Today is the 21st, which is the beginning of my new gym cycle. Here's my last cycle's stats:

Monday + Friday: Legs + Abs
Heavy Squats (4*6)
Abduction (3*15)
Adduction (3*15)
Ab Crunchy (4*8)

Tuesday + Saturday: Upper body
Chest press (4*8)
Weighted tricep dips (4*8)
Lat Pull Down (4*6)

Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday:
TKD training
2 days I ran to TKD, about 3 miles
Sometimes I miss a TKD session, I never miss gym sessions.

---------------------------------

My new cycle:

Monday + Friday: Legs + Abs
Heavy Squats (5*6)
Ab Crunchy (5*8)
Calf Raises (4*8)

Tuesday + Saturday: Upper body
Bench Press (4*8)
Seated Row (4*8)
Seated Bicep Curl (4*8)
Shoulder Press (4*8)

Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday:
Taekwon-do training
no longer running there (don't want to catch illness over the winter)

Diet: No dairy, otherwise concentrating on plenty of protein. Avoiding non-protein-rich fatty foods, but eating plenty of nuts and meat.

Start Date: 21st October 2005
Finish Date: 21st February 2005

Targets: 140kg Squat (up 20kg)
80kg Bench Press (up 10kg)
I won't set any more targets for now.

SO there you have it. In a moment I'll post today's session, but I'd rather have it in a different post. Too bad I'll have to wait 5 mins for flood control
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/21/05 02:45 PM

I don't have anything to say about the routine. However, I want to comment on runing in the winter. I know some don't like running outside during the winter, but I think that is a best time to run and build up those lungs..What do the masses think?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/21/05 03:00 PM

Friday 21st October 2005
Leg Day
Start Time: 3:55pm
End Time: 4:55pm
----------------------------
Squat (5*6)
2 @ 120kg
3 @ 110kg

Ab Crunchy (5*8)
4 @ 14kg

Calf Raise (4*8)
4 @ 16kg

--------

Comments: Well, I'm pretty happy with the squat, since I've only just swapped up to 120kg. I had an abort at 120, you know how nasty that is, so I dropped the weight down. A good 5 minute rest period between each set (just on the squat)

I've just started doing the calf raise, so I wasn't sure how much weight to use. I'll up it to 20kg on monday. I also took a bit longer today, I was just getting into the swing of the calf raises and ab crunchies. On monday I'll try to cut it down to 50 mins.

MrMoyer - I don't run in the winter atm because last year I did, and had some problems with colds etc. That was okay while I was in secondary school, but now I'm at college the pace is much faster, so I don't think it's a good idea to get ill.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/22/05 06:57 AM

I like your training regime. I have always been a big fan of upper/lower body splits. I dont suggest them very often because some find excuses not to do their leg workouts

As for the running thing and colds, you are far more likely to catch cold from physical contact than from the air. Wash your hands regularly, and avoid subconscious touching of your eyes and mouth, particularly whilst handling money.

Run if you want, but if it doesnt agrtee with you, stay warmer and skip in a high ceilinged area.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/22/05 07:12 AM

I have gone so far as to carry an anti-bacterial hand santizer with me. They are the ones that don't require water. Lately, I have noticed how people come out of the plublic restroom and it is just nasty. After I wash with soap back at my office I use my sanitizer too.

When I used to run in the cold I would get the burning in the lungs. One thing I found to help with that is to cover my my nose and mouth so I was breathing in all the cold air. Dunno if it was a good idea or not, but it helped. Now I run on the treadmill, so I don't have to worry much about cold weather...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/22/05 12:03 PM

Saturday 22nd October 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 3:00
End Time: 4:05
-------------------------
Bench Press (4*8)
1 @ 70kg
3 @ g0kg

Shoulder Press (4*8)
2 @ 50kg

Seated Row (4*8)
2 @ 60kg
2 @ 65kg

Seated DB Bicep Curl (4*8)
1 @ 12kg
3 @ 14kg

------------------------
Comments:I'm going to drop the Shoulder Press for Tricep Dips, since I found it leant itself dar too easily to bad form. I did a couple of sets, but I could feel my back arching and I can't see any way of avoiding it due to the way the chair is angled.

I've had to play with the weight this session. I'm well chuffed with the 70kg bench, that was my target from the last cycle. I'll increase the Seated Row to 70kg and keep the DB curl at 14kg. Hopefully I'll be able to go 2 sets or more with the 70kg bench press next session.

As for running, well, I think I'll stick with what I said originally if you don't mind . It's just that I really was getting colds last year, and can't afford that this year. But I'll still make sure I get my cardio from my taekwon-do sessions, and the ridiculous amounts of walking I have to do to get to college should keep me in reasonable shape.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/25/05 08:57 AM

Monday 24th October 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 3:15
End Time: 3:05
Squat (5*6)
2 @ 120kg, 2 aborts
2 @ 110kg

Calf Raise (4*8)
4 @ 20kg

Ab Crunchy (5*8)
5@ 16kg

--------------------
Comments: I didn't get a chance to write up my journal yesterday, so here is my belated copy.

I'll increase the Ab crunchy to 18kg on Friday. The Calf raise I'll not increase, since I don't think I'm getting the most complete range of motion yet. I had 2 aborts on the squats, which wasn't very nice, so I ended up dropping the weight to 110kg for the last two sets. I can feel my squat improving, even if I can't make enormous leaps every session.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/25/05 09:38 AM

Quote:

End Time: 3:05

Just curious, are those times correct?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/25/05 09:54 AM

His clock is either broken, or weird

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/25/05 10:08 AM

Ok, whew..I thought I was loosing it...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/25/05 03:06 PM

oh hehe I meant 4:05

Tuesday 25th October 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 4:55
End Time: 5:45
------------------------
Bench Press (4*8)
1 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 12kg

Seated Row (4*8)
4 @ 65kg

Bicep Curl (4*8)
2 @ 14kg
2 @ 12kg

---------------------------
Comments: that session really blasted my biceps, so I guess that can only be a good thing! I'm not going to increase the weight on the seated row yet, I'm going to work on getting it further back. I'll increase the tricep dip to 14kg, although I must admit I found today's pretty intense. We'll see how things go there.

Finally, I'll try really hard to get 2 sets at 70kg next week

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/28/05 12:22 PM

Friday 28th October 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 3:35
End Time: 4:35
Squat (5/6)
4 @ 120kg
1 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 20kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 16kg

-----------------------------
Comments: I'm pretty chuffed with the squats. I'm gonna increase the crunchies by 2kg, and the calf raises by 2kg also. I did TKD training on Wednesday and Thursday, could really feel the gym sessions

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/29/05 01:17 PM

Saturday 29th October 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 3:45
Bench Press(4*8)
2 @ 70kg
2 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 12kg

Seated Row(4*8)
4 @ 65kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
3 @ 14kg
1 @ 12kg

--------------------------
Comments: Woohoo!!! I got to 2 bench presses at 70kg . Feeling great (if achey) now! I may drop the weight on Seated Row to 60kg, I want to get a greater range of movement. The Tricep Dips really killed after the bench press, so I'll keep them the same.

Life is gooood

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/31/05 04:04 PM

Monday 31st October 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 5:05
End Time: 6:05
------------------------
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 22kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 16kg

-----------------------
Comments: I got 5 at 120kg on the squat!!! I am well chuffed. I'll keep the weight there for the next couple of weeks, then hopefully I'll be able to push up to 130kg.

I also have a question: it's probably going to take me an hour or so every lower body session. Is the calf raise really neccessary... I mean, does the squat to that bit. I don't think it does, but just thought I'd check. My other question is whether it matters that I'm spending an hour in there; I mean, I tend to hear that you should keep it to about 45 mins, but the squat alone takes 35 minutes!

Cheers for any responses...
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 10/31/05 06:25 PM

Quote:

I also have a question: it's probably going to take me an hour or so every lower body session. Is the calf raise really neccessary... I mean, does the squat to that bit. I don't think it does, but just thought I'd check.

I believe calf raises are necessary. Did you know that calf implants are the second most implant requested for men beside the pecs? Calves are a hard muscle to build but you have to work at them. Some people could work these forever and they would not look much bigger but I'd rather work them then have two scrawny calves and two large thighs and larger upper body.

Don't worry about the time. The more you do it the less time it will take.

Quote:

My other question is whether it matters that I'm spending an hour in there; I mean, I tend to hear that you should keep it to about 45 mins, but the squat alone takes 35 minutes!

Again don't worry about the time. I used to and then I started not focusing on the job at hand but rather finishing up faster. Then from there I started minimizing my workout to fit this time and wasn't getting as good or as quality of a workout that I should have.

Those times can be good and can be bad. Don't focus so much on this until you get to a point that you are not getting any gains and you've exhausted every other reason why.

One thing I've learned since being injuried and coming back is to value the time working out. Things that took me 45 minutes now can take 1.5 to 2 hours and I'm still getting gains ... though they are slowing now. However long it takes to do the job right is how long it takes. Make sure you keep hydrated and follow up after the workout with protein to minimize corisol affects. Don't look at the clock unless between sets you are taking up too much time. Listen to your body to let you know when you are ready to pick up the weights again. And remember, we all are different ... growing, recovery, etc. Don't worry about the average time people say ... worry about you.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/01/05 01:59 PM

1st November 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 4:25
End Time: 5:10
-----------------------
Bench Press(4*8)
1 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 12kg

Seated Row(4*8)
4 @ 70kg

Bicep Curl (4*8)
2 @ 14kg
2 @ 12kg

Comments: Didn't feel so great today, bit of a stomach ache. Probably just a 24 hour thing, and I continued anyway. Feeling relatively good now. I'm getting happier and happier with the seated row, can really feel it working those lats.

Dereck, thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely not drop it now, and I'm glad to hear that time isn't such an important issue. I hadn't got to the stage where I was trying to rush through the workout yet, but I can see that it might have ended up there. So, cheers

Posted by: Charged

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/01/05 02:21 PM

my calves grow fine enough for me , atm my legs to me are nice and proportionate, 18 1/2 inch thighs 14inch calves

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/04/05 04:00 PM

04/11/05
Lower Body Day
End Time: 4:20
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 120kg

Calf Raise (4*8)
4 @ 22kg

Ab Crunchy (5*8)
5 @ 18kg

------------------------------
Comments: Well, I managed the five squats at 120kg again. I'll stick to that weight for another session at least though - no sense in getting ahead of myself, and I can still really feel the exercise. It's all going pretty well really... except for my current binge on dark chocolate (no dairy ). But I can live with that, I'm eating pretty healthily otherwise.

Oh, and I should point out that this workout was earlier than usual - my history teacher was away, so I thought I'd go an hour earlier Actually, I'm pretty darn tired right now; I do 5 AS levels (Cord knows what I'm talking about ), so I work a lot.

Finally, and most importantly, I'm giving up my Taekwon-do for a bit. Last night I realised that I wasn't enjoying the sessions anymore - I was just going out of duty. I've decided that I'm better off going down to the gym on my TKD days and doing some cardio instead, since I actually enjoy this. It may be that, in a couple of months, I decide I want to start going to TKD classes again - I'll certainly keep practicing technique-wise. But I don't think there'a any point in doing something half-heartedly.

So, what do you guys think I should do on my cardio day? I was thinking of doing:

15 mins cross-trainer
15 mins bike ride
15 mins rowing

Notice that I break up the cardio into 3 different 15 minute parts. That's so I can take 5-10 mins out after each one, make sure I don't go catabolic, and allow me to up the intensity. So whaddya think? I look forward to responses, if anyone actually reads my ramblings anymore...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/04/05 04:19 PM

Quote:

So whaddya think? I look forward to responses, if anyone actually reads my ramblings anymore...

First ... I read your threads because you are keeping track of things such as I do. This is the only true way that you will know if you are improving ... and when you are not you can at least look back. Keep up the good work.

Unfortunately I'm no expert on cardio. It looks okay but the only true way is to try it and adapt yourself or the plan to best suit "you".

Taking a break from TKD ... I hear you. I did for a short period myself a while back and it was for the good. Unfortuantely when I came back I injured myself royally which has made me take a break. I stop in and talk ... take a few easy classes here and there ... take classes that I know won't hurt me. Breaks can be good sometimes.

Keep doing what you are doing and enjoy.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/05/05 12:52 PM

Saturday 5th November 2005
Upper Body Day
End Time: 4:40
--------------------------------
Bench Press (4*8)
1 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip (4*8)
4 @ 12kg

Seated Row (4*8)
1 @ 70kg
3 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl (4*8)
3 @ 14kg
1 @ 12kg

Comments: I've just realised that I forgot entirely to ever mention that my bench presses are wide-grip, for extra chest hitting power... So now you know

Pretty good session, I'll be sticking with 75kg on the seated row, and concentrate on getting a great range of motion. Likewise with the bicep curl. Only problem is, I'm too tired to go out on fireworks night now

Thanks for the feedback Dereck, I like to keep records of stuff anyway, so putting it up here's no big deal. I'll see how things go with the cardio sessions, maybe at some point I'll put in running as opposed to rowing, or something like that. I feel I should do running, but treadmills always seem to hurt my calfs (remember I posted about that a few months ago? Haven't been on a treadmill since )

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/05/05 06:14 PM

Just keep at it Tim and do what feels natural. The more gains you see and when you start looking in the mirror and saying "hey, I'm starting to look good", this will motivate you more.

On your bicep curls make sure you are concentrating on the biceps. A common mistake, and I was guilty too, was not concentrating enough on them. I was pulling up with my arm that incorporates the shoulders and forearms and bicep wasn't getting the workout it could have. Also lower them slowly letting the weight take them down ... relax the arm allowing the bicep to control it down. The downward motion is what really builds the biceps.

Good job Tim.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/07/05 02:32 PM

7th November 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 5:10
End Time: 6:10
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 22kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 16kg

Comments: Righty then, one more session then I up the weight to 130kg on the squat. Pretty good session, really getting a good range of motion at the moment on my lifts. Cheers for the feedback Dereck and, well, I'm still at it

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/08/05 01:48 PM

8th November 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 3:55
End Time: 4:45
----------------------
Bench Press(4*8)
1 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 12kg

Seated Row(4*8)
4 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

----------------------------------
Comments: well, 2 bench presses at 70kg still manages to elude me... But I'll get there eventually! I guess it's just getting harder to make those gains.

I did a weigh-in today. I'm currently 145lbs (of pure muscle ). I don't know my exact body fat, but from the nice and cut six-pack I'm sporting, I guess it's around the 9-10% area. So, yeah, feeling pretty good about things really.

Tomorrow I do my first new cardio session, I'll post up how it was, I hope to enjoy a bit of heavy cardio

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/09/05 01:24 PM

Wednesday 9th November 2005
Cardio Day
Cross-Trainer (15 mins)
Cals: 227

Rowing (15 mins)
Cals: 160

Cycling (15 mins)
Cals: 105

--------------------------
Comments: Well, I think you can see a pattern in how long I'm taking for each exercise, so I'll skip that from now on:) What I'm doing is just listing the cals burnt - that'll allow me to see if I'm keeping the intensity up, and any improvements, even though it obviously isn't that accurate. Since I'm measuring the time anyway, I don't feel the need to note a start and end time.

Now, here's the question: You can see that my cycling cals burnt is less than half that of the cross-trainer. Now, I haven't cycled since I was about 7, so maybe I'm out of practice? Same with the rowing (well, I've never rowed before ) Still, is the rowing and cycling inherently less effective at burning calories? I can see that the cross-trainer uses a lot of the body, so this could be it... Anyway, feedback please!

Oh, and by the way Cord, they have Concept II Rowing machines at my gym and I agree, they are very nice

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/10/05 03:10 PM

Thursday 10th November 2005
Cardio Day
------------------------
Cross-Trainer
Cals: 244

Rowing
Cals: 162

Cycling
Cals: 116

-------------------------------
Comments: Wow, a real blast today, I really went for it. I'm not expecting to do it at this higher intensity every session, but I must admit it made me feel real good.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/10/05 06:37 PM

Keep up the good fight Tim!!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/11/05 06:06 PM

Friday 11th November 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 4:55
End Time: 5:50
-------------------------------------
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 24kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 16kg

Comments: Well, it's back to weights again... I pushed the weight up on the calf raise by 2kg, I can tell you that I'm really feeling my calfs now . On Monday I'll be squatting at 130kg, I hope. I'm finding the 120kg pretty easy really at the moment, so I'm pretty sure I can handle the new weight.

Thanks for the encouraging words, BrianS, and erm... same to you

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/12/05 12:35 PM

Saturday 12th November 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 3:40
-----------------------------------
Bench Press(4*8)
1 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 12kg

Seated Row(4*8)
4 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

Comments: wow... I am really, really tired today. I can't say I did a particularly good job, but I guess it was okay. I'll just have to make sure to get some more sleep. I think it was probably reflected in the time I took, too.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/14/05 04:48 PM

Monday 14th November 2005
Lower Body Time
Start Time: 6:40
End Time: 7:45
Squat(5*6)
3 @ 130kg
2 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 24kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 16kg

Comments: Well, I managed the squats at 130kg . I'm going to stick at this weight for a while, try and get it as nice as possible, and work on slowly lowering it.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/15/05 12:18 PM

Tuesday 15th November 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 2:55
End Time: 3:50
Bench Press(4*8)
1 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 12kg

Seated Row(4*8)
4 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

Comments: A good session, looks like I've recovered from my tiredness on saturday . I'm going to up both the Tricep Dip and the Bicep Curl by 2kg next session. Should be fun

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/16/05 04:59 PM

Wednesday 16th November
Cardio Day
-----------------------

Okay, I couldn't make it today. It's a funny week - my college calls it 'reading week', so I've been spending the time working. I'm not sure if I'll make it out tommorrow, I'll certainly try.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/16/05 08:48 PM

Life gets in the way sometime so go with the flow. Keep up the good work.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/17/05 07:39 PM

Thursday 17th November 2005
Cardio Day
Cross Trainer
Cals: 235

Row
Cals: 175

Bike (10 mins)
Cals: 70

Comments: I had to cut the bike down to 10 mins so I wouldn't miss my bus, just reached it a minute early . Cheers Dereck, my God I feel so guilty... not Studying takes precedence in my life.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/19/05 04:33 AM

Friday 18th November 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 6:00
End Time: 6:55
------------------------------------------
Squat(5*6)
3 @ 130kg
2 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 24kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 16kg

Comments: Didn't get it filled in last night, so here is my belated entry. Not a bad session, really feeling that calf raise (and, obviously, those squats ).

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/19/05 12:31 PM

Saturday 19th November 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 3:30
End Time: 4:30
--------------------------------------
Bench Press(4*8)
1 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
3 @ 14kg
1 @ 12kg

Seated Row(4*8)
4 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

Comments: good session, that tricep dip really hurt I'm feeling a little pain in my lower back (well, just above my ass actually), which I attribute to a slightly dodgey squat yesterday. I'm going to go back to 120kg again and work on form and range of movement, just to be sure, and to make sure I don't do anything stupid.

My month review is coming up! This is the point where I change little things in my plan, that I think could work better. So I'd like your feedback on what I'm thinking.

First of all, I'm thinking of going to five sets with the bench press and the seated row. I feel like I'm not hitting the chest and lats quite hard enough - at least, not as hard as I did last cycle.

Well, you've seen my log for a month now (almost), so tell me what you think generally, what I could improve on (little things though, I don't want to drastically change the entire system) and so on. Cheers!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/20/05 01:06 AM

No real comments Tim just keep going. From your own experience do what you think is necessary. If you don't think you are working an area enough add something else in to finish that muscle off. 5 sets might help as you suggested, which I've grow to like as in years past I only did 3 sets, mind you I also did 3 to 4 different exercises per muscle group ... but the 5 is working for me now.

Listen to your body. Review your notes here and where ever else you record them. I find recording this are the best method of determining what is going on and what is not or is working.

Again just keep at it. Good for you.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/21/05 05:38 PM

Monday 21st November 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 6:45
End Time: 7:50
---------------------------------------
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 24kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 16kg

Comments: I'm really glad I took the weight down on the squat and opted for a greater range of motion - because by God that HURT!!! I haven't had such a good squatting session for a couple of weeks, and I'll definitely be sticking to that weight next session.

Thanks for the feedback Dereck... I guess you only learn by living, so I'll try out my changes and hopefully they'll patch any problems I felt were in my setup.

And it's my month anniversary!!! Yay! So, gowan, tell me how great I'm doing

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/22/05 03:29 PM

Tuesday 22nd November 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 5:45
End Time: 6:50
Bench Press(5*8)
1 @ 70kg
4 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

Seated Row(5*8)
5 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

Comments: Well, increasing the sets to 5 on the bench and row certainly had the desired effect; it really hit the chest and lats. I still really don't like the seated row - I just don't like the movement, and the setup. Looking forward to my next cycle, when I'll switch to weighted chinups. My quads are really feeling yesterdays squats, as are my gluts, though to a lesser degree. I've got one of those exercise high feelings - you know, when nothing can go wrong yadda yadda

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/22/05 05:08 PM

Quote:

I've got one of those exercise high feelings - you know, when nothing can go wrong yadda yadda

Yah, rub it in!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/24/05 04:07 PM

Thursday 24th November 2005
Cardio Day
------------------------
Cross-trainer
Cals: 233

Row
Cals: 159

Bike
Cals: 110

Comments: Well, I didn't push it too hard today, but I still feel pretty happy with it. I'm getting more comfortable with the rowing and the bike, especially the bike. Oh, and sorry Dereck, can't help how good I feel . If it makes you feel better, I am being worked to death at college, I go out at 8:00 and get back at 8:30 to 9:00

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/26/05 06:08 AM

Friday 25th November 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 4:35
End Time: 5:35
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 24kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 16kg

---------------------------------------
Comments: although I technically did 5 @ 120kg with the squat, I had to restrict the range of motion on the last 2 - no further than just above parallel. Painful session Just posting the log up the day after because I didn't get round to it last night etc..

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/27/05 08:02 AM

Saturday 26th November 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 3:10
End Time: 4:10
------------------------------------
Bench Press(5*8)
1 @ 70kg
4 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

Seated Row(5*8)
5 @ 70kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

Comments: Sorry it's late again, just didn't get round to it yesterday. Anyway, I dropped the weight a bit on the seated row, and I'm feeling much happier about the range of motion now. I'll keep it at that weight for the next session too. I'm going to increase the bicep curl to 16kg, see how that goes. My chest is aching a good amound today, as are my lats. The triceps and biceps haven't been hit to the same extent, just a very slight ache there. The session after next, I'll probably push the tricep dip up to 16kg.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/28/05 04:21 PM

Monday 28th November 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 7:05
End Time: 8:05
----------------------------------------
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 24kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 16kg

-----------------------------------------
Comments: Okay session I guess, still didn't get a full range of motion on the last 2 sets. Working on it though. Feeeling the pain... It's funny, when I was doing my reading in the library, I was thinking to myself "ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod I can't do that squat today. Too much effort and paainnnn..." but once I was in there it was okay. Go figure

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/28/05 06:10 PM

Mind can be a powerful tool to work for you or against you. Best to clear your mind and think of nothing but the task at hand and get at it. I do this for weight lifting because I know what you mean ... if I think about it sometimes I can almost talk myself out of it ... almost ... haven't yet.

We do the same thing in our martial arts class. Clear our minds and breath for a moment or two and think only about the tasks at hand. Forget about what happened today or what you have to do later. Believe it or not, when we skip this it just isn't the same.

Keep up the good work Tim. And don't do anything I wouldn't.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 11/29/05 04:17 PM

Tuesday 29th November 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time:
End Time:
Bench Press(5*8)
1 @ 70kg
4 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

Seated Row(5*8)
5 @ 70kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

----------------------------------------
Comments: Next session I'm going to push the seated row up to 75kg. I keep meaning to put the bicep curl up to 16kg, but after the row, I suddenly don't feel like it

Dereck, if you wouldn't do it, the chances are I don't even know what 'it' is

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/02/05 02:50 PM

Friday 2nd December 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 5:00
End Time: 6:05
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 24kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 16kg

Comments: I totally forgot to post the times on tuesday... it was 7:05 till 8:05. Anyways, I'm going to increase the weight on the calf raise to 26kg. I'm pretty happy with the squat today, I took my time and really concentrated on good range of motion. It's been a tough few days at college, so I'm looking forward to letting off steam at a party tonight

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/03/05 09:33 AM

I'm going to have to postpone the saturday upper body session for tomorrow, since I've got something else on today... Ah well.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/04/05 01:21 PM

Sunday 4th December 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 3:20
End Time 4:35
Bench Press(5*8)
1 @ 70kg
4 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 17.5kg

Compound Row(5*8)
1 @ 77kg
1 @ 91kg
3 @ 84kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 15kg

Comments: Okay, my usual gym is now closed for 2 weeks, for their yearly admin/refurbishment etc.. So I'm now going to another one, which is unfortunately about a half hour walk from college, so that's gonna be a pain the ass. Now... the good and the bad of the new place:

Decent equipment (better than my other place)
A Power Rack (I was using a Smith Machine before)
One of those horrible 'macho' atmospheres... you know what I mean... my old gym doesn't have this at all.

They also didn't have a seated row, so I've swapped to the compound Row. I actually prefered this, as I felt it hit the lats a bit harder. Other than that, today was just one of those days where you have to get used to all the quirks of the new place... you guys know what I'm talking about, so my session took me a goddam long time to complete. Ah well. Tomorrow is going to be a bit weird, as I'm going to need to find a random spotter to check my squats on the power rack - I'm just not used to doing them on a rack.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/04/05 01:36 PM

Good dedication Tim. Keep up the good work.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/05/05 03:13 PM

Monday 5th December 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 5:40
End Time: 6:45
Squat(5*6)
2 @ 120kg
3 @ 130kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 24kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 17.5kg

Comments: Well, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep up going to this other gym as regular as usual... I love having the power rack there, but it's a real trek to get there and back, and it means I can't spend a couple of hours reading in the library beforehand... I'm going to have to do some thinking about this. Who knows, I may decide to stay at this gym, but I may instead start looking for another one with a power rack... I'll see.

Anyways, my chest is really feeling it today, so I'm not sure if I should train tomorrow, I don't want to overtrain. I'll see.
Posted by: gojuwarrior

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/05/05 03:16 PM

Hey tim ya mind if i bite off your idea? This seems like an easy way to keep track of my progress.Do you know how many logs i lost or messed up on?!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/05/05 05:24 PM

Quote:

Anyways, my chest is really feeling it today, so I'm not sure if I should train tomorrow, I don't want to overtrain. I'll see.

Hey Tim, if you can feel your chest this way definitely take a break from working it again otherwise you are correct and you will be overtraining. It is said to wait at least 48 hours but sometimes I don't find that enough and 4 days sometimes is my average. Heck with my workout it may be a week before I work it and so far so good that I have gained a bit and haven't lost anything. Listen to your body for sure.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/06/05 11:39 AM

Goju - go for it mate, the more the merrier and all that

Dereck et al - yeah, I'm taking today off, giving myself a good break. My legs really hurt today, that ache is seriously goood... okay, I'm getting sadistic, but meh I'm going to put my arm day on thursday, and legs on usual Friday. It's just because I'm going out to celebrate my birthday with my family on saturday (it's my b'day on Friday ) so I won'y have time to go to that and get a session in.

Also, I've thought about changing gyms, but there's nothing else nearby, so I'll have to leave it. I actually don't think the walk is so bad now, so long as I can get the bus home. I'll keep up the cardio at the old gym though.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/08/05 03:24 PM

Thursday 8th December 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 5:15
End Time: 6:20
Bench Press(5*8)
1 @ 70kg
4 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 17.5kg

Compound Row(5*8)
3 @ 84kg
2 @ 79kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 15kg

---------------------------------------------
Comments: Tough session, loving it though Feeling a lot happier about this gym now, starting to get used to it. I still dislike all these stupid isolation lever machines lying around, and the lack of floor space, but never mind.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/09/05 01:24 PM

Friday 9th December 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 4:10
End Time: 5:15
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 25kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 17.5kg

--------------------------------------------
Comments: Pretty good session, I'll up the squat by 5kg next session. I'm eating roast pork in about 10 minutes

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/12/05 03:51 PM

Monday 12th December 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 5:15
End Time: 6:25
-------------------------------------------------
Squat(5*6)
3 @ 130kg
2 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 25kg

Full Ab Twist(5*8)
2 @ 23kg
3 @ 34kg

Comments: Well, as you can see, I've swapped the ab crunchies for the full ab twist. Basically because there's not a lot of floor space at this new gym. Anyway, I'll be putting that up by a few kilos for next session, I was just feeling my way with it today. Pretty good session, anyway.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/14/05 12:27 PM

Tuesday 13th December 2005
Upper Body Day
End Time: 6:10
Bench Press(5*8)
1 @ 70kg
4 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
4 @ 17.5kg

Compound Row(5*8)
5 @ 84kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 15kg

Comments: Yesterday's session, just didn't get round to it. Good session, all in all. I'm probably going to try and drop to 65kg on the bench, then attempt to get 5 sets at that. It seems a happier medium than just jumping from 70 to 60.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/17/05 03:24 PM

Friday 16th December 2005
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 11:20
End Time: 12:20
Squat(5*6)
3 @ 130kg
2 @ 120kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 25kg

Full Ab Twist(4*8)
4 @ 36kg

Comments: Didn't get round to posting this yesterday, so here it is. Shortly to be followed by today's. I broke up from school! Holidays...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/17/05 03:30 PM

Saturday 17th December 2005
Upper Body Day
End Time: 4:25
Bench Press(5*8)
5 @ 65kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
1 @ 17.5kg
3 @ 20kg

Compound Row(5*8)
5 @ 84kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 15kg

Comments: I put the tricep dip up to 20kg, I just felt like it at the time, and I'm glad I did, as I can just about get a good 4*6 out with it, so I can work towards 4*8. I've swapped to 5 benches at 65kg, that's much better than my old way as well. That way, I can increase the weight by smaller incrememts. Good session. And I'm still on holiday! Oh, and I ordered a new PC today... Should get the parts on Monday and then I'll put the whole thing together
Posted by: spartanwarlord

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/18/05 11:32 PM

Gday Tim.

Nice work out plan.

On the note of the calf raisers. Im going to say you dont need them, you've got the best leg exercise already, the squat.

Try doing the 20 rep squat from time to time. 1 set of 20 reps. Load up the bar to what you can squat 10 on, and do 20 using sheer animal power .

Nothing else builds an amazing set of legs like a good ol' 20 rep squat.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/19/05 08:33 AM

I'm using the calf raises just because I feel it's time I invested some extra work on the calves. It seems to be working pretty well, although I'll leave them out of the next cycle. As for 20 rep squats... well, the thing is, that's more of a body-building thing. I'm doing this mainly for martial arts, so I really only need the 6 reps for a powerful kick.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/19/05 02:27 PM

Monday 19th December 2005
Lower Body Day
Start: 3:30
End: 4:30
Squat(5*6)
3 @ 125kg
2 @ 120kg

Claf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 25kg

Full Ab Twist(4*8)
4 @ 40kg

Comments: I'll probably start swapping between the Ab Twist and the weighted crunchy... I dunno, it didn't seem to work quite right today. Otherwise a pretty good workout.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/20/05 08:00 AM

Quote:

I'm using the calf raises just because I feel it's time I invested some extra work on the calves. It seems to be working pretty well, although I'll leave them out of the next cycle. As for 20 rep squats... well, the thing is, that's more of a body-building thing. I'm doing this mainly for martial arts, so I really only need the 6 reps for a powerful kick.

20 rep squats arent purely for body building. They build amazing amounts of strength. That and they really increase your warrior's edge in the gym if you know what I mean .

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/20/05 09:41 AM

please explain... why do they build strength? surely if you can do 20 reps with that weight your not squatting enough? Surely then it becomes endurance?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/20/05 02:11 PM

Hey Tim Glad things are going well. a good variation for legs is to keep your heavy squat, but at the top of each drive raise up on tip toes for a count of 1, then down to flat footed and into your next squat. When you have completed your 5/6 squat reps finish off with pure heavy calve raise to one shy of failure before racking the bar.
Lots of fun

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/20/05 03:09 PM

Quote:

please explain... why do they build strength? surely if you can do 20 reps with that weight your not squatting enough? Surely then it becomes endurance?

Because you are using what you would normally lift for 10. You get 20 out purely with sheer effort and pain. Squating uses every muscle in your body.

Look up the 20 rep squat on google and T nation. There are many articles by strength trainers about how it benefited them. It personally got me over a major plateau I had with my regular squating program.

Give it a try.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/20/05 03:22 PM

With respect, if you are capable of 20 reps with a weight you normaly use for 10, then your plateau is due to poor intensity during your 'normal squat' routine. All the willpower in the world will not double your reps if the weight selected is correct in the first place.

If you are talking about 'breathing squats'- with 3-5 seconds of oxygen debt repayment between reps, then they are an 'old school' trick to shock the muscles into greater hypertrophy. As such they are more relevant to bodybuilding than pure strength/power work.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/20/05 03:36 PM

I was stuck at 110 kgs for 5 reps, just couldnt add a single kg onto the bar. So I looked around and checked out the 20 rep squat program. I did it for a month and was able to get my normal squat to 125kgs. Not a bad increase in a month.

Sure it will build some muscle. But that is never a bad thing.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/20/05 03:52 PM

Quote:

Sure it will build some muscle. But that is never a bad thing.

Unless you are training to compete in a certain weight class, or do not want increased thigh size.

I am pleased that you experienced good results, my post was merely clarifying what this type of training was principly developed to achieve.
Posted by: Cownose

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/21/05 02:15 AM

Just a little more clarification: 20 reps with your 10 RM is possible because you're allowed to rest as much as you want between reps - you just have to keep the bar on your back. Sounds easy, but it's not when you're trying to breath with all that weight on your back. But, as much as I love 20 rep squats just for the hardcore factor, relative strength is the last thing you'll gain from it.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/21/05 04:05 PM

Wednesday 21st December 2005
Upper Body Day
Start: 1:45
End: 2:45
-------------------------------------------
Bench Press(5*6)
3 @ 125kg
2 @ 120kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
2 @ 20kg
2 @ 17.5kg

Seated Row(5*8)
5 @ 84kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 15kg

Comments: Did my workout today rather than yesterday, was building my new PC then... too bad I'm still having problems getting it running seamlessly today... I just suck with Ubuntu, and it has no connection to the internet :/

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback guys, and I gotta say that I agree with Cord and Dereck here; it's not really for me. I'm not in the game of making big size increases and, besides, I'm not at a plateau yet - I'm just getting warmed up!

I'm much happier with doing the bench at 65kg now; I was having all kinds of problems with range of motion before. And, speaking of RoM, that's what I've been concentrating on today, and most likely will till the end of the cycle. I just feel that on the bench press, and occasionally on the squat, I've been guilty of not going quite as far as I could. It's time that changed.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/29/05 02:23 PM

Tuesday 27th December 2005
Upper Body Day
Start: 3:45
End: 4:45
Bench Press(5*8)
2 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
2 @ 20kg
2 @ 18kg

Seated Row (5*8)
5 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 14kg

Comments: wow, two days late with this log... but wasn't it worth it? hehe. Anyways, I'm proud to say that I managed 2 @ 70kg on the bench, so I'm feeling well chuffed about that. I think the time at the other gym may have broken the plateau on my benching. Anyways, I'm back at my old gym for the upper body days + cardio, but I'll go to the new one for lower body (it has a power rack). I may also swap my lower body days to saturday and wednesday, and have upper body on monday and friday. Why? Because the library closes early on wednesday, so I wouldn't be able to get my reading in anyway:)

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/29/05 02:49 PM

Tim you are an insperation. Young and from the comments that you have provided I'd say you are farther a head in the game then I was when starting out. You have positive attitude and you are looking at yourself and seeing areas to improve on and doing something about it. Earlier I would ignore things and then later I would have to fix it when it was a habit already. Hard to break habits so best to fix early. And from what you've written you don't seem to be doing this with ego. You are showing what it really is and understanding that the only person that you need to compete with is yourself. Good stuff. A good head on your shoulders. Keep up the good work.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/30/05 06:07 PM

Friday 30th December 2005
Lower Body Day
Start: 6:45
End: 7:45
Squat(5*6)
2 @ 135kg
3 @ 130kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 27.5kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 17.5kg

Comments: Swapped back to the ab crunchy, I feel it's doing more for me right now. 135kg squat! YAY! So, yeah, a good session.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 12/31/05 06:21 AM

Cheers Dereck... And by God, I hurt today Those squats really did it!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/01/06 10:35 AM

Saturday 31st December 2005
Upper Body Day
End Time: 4:50
Bench Press(5*6)
4 @ 65kg
1 @ 65kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
3 @ 20kg
1 @ 17.5kg

Compound Row(5*8)
5 @ 84kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 15kg

Comments: Tough session, can really feel those pecs today...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/03/06 04:11 PM

Tuesday 3rd January 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 7:00
End Time: 8:00
Bench Press(5*6)
1 @ 70kg
4 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
2 @ 20kg
2 @ 18kg

Seated Row(5*8)
5 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
4 @ 16kg

Comments: Couldn't workout yesterday, it was a bank holiday. Today was pretty decent, I'm going to up the Seated Row to 80kg. I almost got a second set at 70kg on the bench, but I just couldn't get the triceps to engage...
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/06/06 08:52 AM

Just a quick stupid question, that doesnt deserve a new post of course. How do you get such a big weight to your shoulders to squat with? Maybe I'm weak but I can not lift 135Kg that high...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/06/06 09:55 AM

Do you have a squat rack or smith machine access? Usually these are used to do squats.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/07/06 11:45 AM

Friday 6th January 2006
Lower Body Day
Start: 5:15
End: 6:20
-------------------------------------------
Squat(5*6)
2 @ 135kg
2 @ 130kg
1 @ 125kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 30kg

Thera Crunch (see comments) (5*8)
5 @ 10kg

--------------------------------------------------------
Comments: I tried out an ab machine they had, called the 'Thera Crunch' or maybe with a 'K', I forget. Crap, to be honest, won't be doing that again. Had a proper 'crazy range of motion' session with the squats, got sooo low you just would not believe it... or something A day late, you know how it is.

Squat question - Yup I have a Squat Rack. It means you can put weight on either end before you've loaded it with weight, then load it from the right height. Not really possible to get a quality back squat without one (although I seem to remember Cownose mentioning something about commandeering a bunch of guys to lift the barbell onto his back for him ) If you're wondering about how much it hurts on the shoulders, well, you get used to it. When I started weight lifting I spent 3 months gradually conditioning my shoulders to doing squats on low weights, so I could get the technique right as well.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/07/06 11:47 AM

Saturday 7th January 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 2:35
End Time: 3:35
Bench Press(5*6)
3 @ 70kg
2 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
2 @ 20kg
2 @ 18kg

Seated Row(5*8)
2 @ 80kg
3 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
2 @ 16kg
2 @ 14kg

Comments: Good benching session, I think I've managed to shatter my old plateau on the bench, I can feel it steadily improving. It's all pretty good really.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/07/06 07:10 PM

I have a free weight squat rack in my basement and I can't say I fully got used to the weight on the shoulders. I would take a large bath towel and wrap it around that helped, plus I would roll the bar down far enough so it sat more on my traps. I would set the bar height so that I had to stand up in it enough so if tired I could still fit under it to put the weights back down even if I could not fully stand up. This will work for the front squats later when I try them as well.

Keep up the good work Tim.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/10/06 03:05 PM

Monday 9th January 2006
Lower Body Day
End: 6:15
Squat(5*6)
4 @ 135kg
1 @ 130kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 30kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 17.5kg

Comments: Day late, blah blah... good session, really felt those squats, although the form was a bit sketchy on the 4th, so I dropped the weight to 130kg. The crunch is feeling good

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/10/06 03:08 PM

Tuesday 10th January 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 6:35
End Time: 7:30
Bench Press(5*6)
2 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
3 @ 20kg
1 @ 18kg

Seated Row(5*8)
3 @ 80kg
2 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
2 @ 16kg
2 @ 14kg

Comments: Got a nice range of motion on the bench today, really felt it hit that chest hard. Everything is feeling damn good really, and having 'inspected' my progress in a mirror, I'm pretty chuffed.... think Mens' Fitness coverguy but with a big nose

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/15/06 08:27 AM

Friday 13th January 2006
Lower Body Day
Start: 4:25
End: 5:20
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 135kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 30kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 17.5kg

Comments: Good session, I just made a slight modification to my squat form which I think will help get lower (I found I had my knees facing very slightly inwards, and I'm pointing them out now). The ab stuff was good.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/15/06 08:29 AM

Saturday 14th January 2005
Upper Body Day
End Time: 4:15
Bench Press(5*6)
2 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
3 @ 20kg
1 @ 18kg

Seated Row(5*8)
4 @ 80kg
1 @ 75kg

Bicep Curl(4*8)
3 @ 16kg
1 @ 14kg

Comments: I'm almost there with the bench, I can feel it

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/17/06 03:12 PM

Monday 16th January 2006
Lower Body Day
End: 6:20
Squat(5*6)
5 @ 135kg

Calf Raise(4*8)
4 @ 30kg

Ab Crunchy(5*8)
5 @ 17.5kg

Comments: I'm gonna shove the squat up 5kg, this session felt good, but I reckon I can do more 140kg sounds pretty nice to me! And it'll mean I've reached my goal in the squat if not the bench... speaking of goals, the end of my current cycle is coming, sooo... I'll open a new thread to discuss what to do next I love all these decisions

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/17/06 03:17 PM

Tuesday 17th January 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 5:30
Bench Press(5*6)
2 @ 70kg
3 @ 60kg

Tricep Dip(4*8)
2 @ 20kg
2 @ 18kg

Seated Row(5*8)
3 @ 80kg
2 @ 75kg
Comments: No bicep curl today, it was all full with the January rush, and I knew I'd miss my bus if I waited around for it to clear... still hit the biceps pretty hard in the seated row anyway, so meh. Pretty good session, and I'm feeling really, really great about the bench press. I got such a beautiful 8 reps with good range of motion on the first set at 70kg, I wanted to punch the air with joy
Anyways, as I said above, I'm changing routines on the 21st, so come to the new thread and advise me! (pretty please )

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/22/06 12:43 PM

I missed my friday session, wanted a day off before starting my new cycle...
On saturday, I went down to try out my new exercises. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything suitable for a deadlift, so that has ruined my planned push/pull system. So, this is what my plan will be:

Monday + Friday: Upper Body
Chest Press (5*8)
Pullup/Chinup (5*8)
Weighted twisting ab crunchy (hit those obliques) (5*8)

Wednesday and Saturday: Lower Body
Squat (5*6)
umm... I dunno! Help?! Any good lower body exercises you guys can think of? I think I've done enough with the calf raise...

Anyways, so I went down to do some exercises yesterday, I ended up just doing weighted chinup/pullup and the twisting ab crunchy. The pullup was at 12kg, and was pretty hardcore (I can really feel my lats and biceps today ) and the ab crunchy was at 16kg, and was also quite tough (and hurts today). So a success all round then!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/24/06 04:48 PM

Tuesday 24th January 2005
Upper Body Day
Chest Press(5*8)
4 @ 105kg
1 @ 97.5kg

Chinup (5*8)
5 @ 12kg

Twisting Crunchy (5*8)
5 @ 16kg

Comments: Wow that twisting ab crunchy ROCKS! I can feeeel the pain The chinup was excellent as ever, and I didn't actually manage 5*8 at 12kg, it was more around 5 reps on the last couple, but there aren't any smaller weights that I can fit between my feet. Still nice. The Chest Press was okay I guess, I'll increase the weight on saturday, that should make it a bit harder. The new cycle has begun!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/27/06 11:09 AM

Wednesday 25th January 2005
Lower Body Day
End Time: 5:15
Squat(5*5)
3 @ 140kg
2 @ 135kg

Farmer's Walk
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: I'm gonna think up another exercise, targeting the lower body for wed and sunday. I've got a 'fitness review' on Sunday, and I'll do my session afterwards... I'll find out my bodyfat percentage, etc.. Can't eat/drink for 4/5 hours before it, but I can live with that.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/27/06 01:18 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna think up another exercise, targeting the lower body for wed and sunday.

May I suggest traveling lunges on the farmers walk course with the same weight- fun fun fun

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/27/06 03:05 PM

I would concur ... though I find stuff like this killer. I used to about 4 years ago and WOW ... scary. Then also try them backwards. Lots of concentration need for balance so this also works your core. Then when done I would crawl upstairs and lay on the floor while my wife looked down at me thinking I was insane. I think I was.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/27/06 06:36 PM

Quote:

I would concur ... though I find stuff like this killer. I used to about 4 years ago and WOW ... scary. Then also try them backwards. Lots of concentration need for balance so this also works your core. Then when done I would crawl upstairs and lay on the floor while my wife looked down at me thinking I was insane. I think I was.

If it's that fun fun fun, how can I refuse? Thanks guys, it sounds grrreat!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/28/06 03:25 PM

Sunday 29th January 2005
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 3:35
Chest Press(5*8)
2 @ 112.5kg
3 @ 105kg

Chinup (5*8)
1 @ 14kg
4 @ 12kg

Twisting Crunchy (5*8)
5 @ 16kg

Comments: I just did the chinup at 14kg because someone was using the 12s... Anyway, I'm still only getting 5-7 reps on the chinup, so once I hit 8 on most of them I'll move up to 14. I'm loving that exercise I got a fitness review and my lower body day tomorrow, looking forward to those farmer's walk + lunges

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 01/29/06 12:34 PM

Sunday 29th January 2006
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 1:35
End Time: 2:25
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 140kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 30kg

Comments: Wow you guys were right about the masochism of the farmers walks + lunges... I like it I'm gonna make that 5 sets next time, just to push it to the limit.

I got my body fat % reviewed today, couldn't eat for 4/5 hours before, but I have the result... I have 10.2% bf. Not too bad, I guess. I may inadvertedly go down by a percent or two, but that'll just be the result of laying off the odd treat (okay, I just had some chocolate, but meh ), not of some kind of super diet (dum dum duh!).

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/01/06 01:50 PM

Sunday 31st January 2006
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 6:30
End Time: 7:20
Chest Press(5*8)
2 @ 112.5kg
3 @ 105kg

Chinup (5*8)
5 @ 12kg

Twisting Crunchy (5*8)
5 @ 16kg

Comments: Now that was a hardcore session. Could really feel it, good sheeet

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/01/06 01:54 PM

Wednesday 1st February 2006
Lower Body Day
End Time: 5:25
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 140kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Pinch, punch, first of the month, and NO RETURNS! Now that I've got that out of the way, it was a damn fine session. Got real low on the squats, and those farmer's walks + lunges were CRIPPLING

Some of you might remember that ages ago I posted about a problem with my calves. I went to the doctor today, and he's referred me to a physio. It'll be a few weeks minimum, but let's face it... You gotta love the NHS

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/06/06 03:25 PM

04/02/2006
Upper Body Day
Chest Press (5*6)
3 @ 112.5kg
2 @ 105kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12kg

Twisting Ab Crunchy (5*8)
5 @ 16kg

Comments: Wow, it's been a while since I last posted... I'm really busy what with college work etc.. (lol I wanted to use one of the new emoticons ) I didn't feel so good about this particular session... It's probably all in my mind, but you know how you have those sessions when you just can't seem to get into it? It was one of those. Never mind!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/06/06 03:28 PM

Sunday 5th February 2006
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 2:35
End Time: 3:25
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 140kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Not a bad session, but I wasn't entirely happy with the form on the squat - I'll have to work on that a bit next session.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/06/06 04:00 PM

All get those Tim, not to worry, just keep plugging away. Always ups and downs but as long as you are doing something then all is good. It is better, I believe to push myself to do it then to feel guilty later for not doing it.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/07/06 04:15 PM

07/02/2006
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 7:00
End Time: 7:50
Chest Press (5*6)
4 @ 112.5kg
1 @ 105kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12kg

5 @ 16kg

Comments: Thanks Dereck, today was much better , felt really good afterwards. Oh, and this thread has broken 100 posts

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/08/06 02:11 PM

Sunday 5th February 2006
Lower Body Day
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 140kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Gooood session, really got low on that squat, then polished the whole thing off with some kicking practice.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/11/06 05:27 PM

11/02/2006
Upper Body Day
Chest Press (5*6)
5 @ 112.5kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12kg

5 @ 16kg

Comments: It is now half-term (a week holiday). Hallelujah! Anyways, I still have lots of work to do, but at least I don't have to travel to college everyday, or wake up at goddawful times . I cleared my room up this morning, it feels great

Anyways, more on topic, a pretty good session generally. I wasn't entirely convinced by form on the chest press, and to be honest I'm leaning towards going back to the bench; I just don't like the chest press, it annoys me

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/12/06 03:15 AM

Keep up the good work.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/12/06 03:55 PM

Sunday 12th February 2006
Lower Body Day
End Time: 3:55
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 140kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Good session, worked on my kicks while I was there, and practiced the clean and jerk with a 45kg barbell in between squats... I know, not enough weight to make it interesting, but I'm practicing for when I go to a gym with a good adjustable barbell

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/14/06 12:23 PM

14/02/2006
Upper Body Day
Bench Press (5*6)
5 @ 70kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12.5kg

5 @ 15kg

Comments: At a different gym today, so couldn't do chest press... still, a good session, really felt the pain My god... there are more emoticons?!!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/14/06 12:35 PM

Awesome Tim ... you make me jealous. Keep up the good work.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/16/06 08:01 AM

Sunday 12th February 2006
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 6:30
End Time: 7:15
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 140kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Cheers for the support Dereck, good session yesterday, although I am in sooooo much pain from the upper body workout I can feel my legs today too, but to a lesser degree, I'm guessing because its a 5*5. And thanks so much for the lunging farmers walks guys, I can really feel my forearms, and they really seem very good for kicking the grip into shape... It helps I guess that the lunge kind of makes you go longer, because you're focusing on two different types of pain

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/18/06 11:11 AM

18/02/2006
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 2:30
End Time: 3:20
Chest Press (5*6)
5 @ 112.5kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12kg

'Full' Situp (3*8)

'Reverse' Situp (3*8)

Comments: I've totally changed my ab work, I can't quite explain what I'm doing... I anchor my legs under the lat pulldown thing, then go all the way back and do a situp. The revers ones are done turned with my back facing upwards... I'm not very good at these explanations

Good session, anyway, and I've decided that as well as changing my core work, I'm going to start doing planche work/bridging in the evening. Nothing major, but just a few things I picked up researching gymnastics routines.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/19/06 12:43 PM

Sunday 19th February 2006
Lower Body Day
Squat(5*5)
2 @ 145kg
3 @ 140kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: OWWWWW!!!!!! That was a PAINFUL session. Those squats were so tough that, on the 4th + 5th sets I had to dig deep just to start them! Still, I did complete 2 sets of 5 reps at 145kg. I'm well chuffed.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/21/06 03:44 PM

18/02/2006
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 2:30
End Time: 3:20
Chest Press (5*6)
4 @ 120kg
1 @ 112.5kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
3 @ 14kg
2 @ 12kg

'Full' Situp (3*8)

'Reverse' Situp (3*8)

Comments: Well, it's been a couple of sessions of moving the weight up, and I'm loving it Also, I've started (as of today, let's see how long I last ) getting up an hour earlier and getting a good cardio session in before college. The main reason for this isn't actually personal fitness - though obviously that's a big plus - it's to wake me up more for the first couple of lessons. And after today, I can tell you those endorphins had me buzzing

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/23/06 02:48 PM

Sunday 19th February 2006
Lower Body Day
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 100kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Well, you might be thinking "what happened to Tim's squat?" Don't worry! I did a good workout with an old guy who used to train powerlifters - he's trained 5 world champions, so I'm in safe hands. He helped me with technique and form, and recommended that I spend some more time at the 100kg mark, just to get the form tickety-boo, then raise it by 5kg every couple of weeks, etc. He really helped me actually, because it's very hard to keep your form perfect when you train alone. I still really hurt the next day, so I don't see anything too wrong with dropping the weight Anyways, good session, I'll be training with him again next wednesday, probably do some work on the bench too.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/23/06 06:19 PM

Good call Tim. You checked the ego at the door which I know for myself and others is the hardest part. You are so happy to get to certain weights and when you have to go backwards this can be a big let down ... of which many won't accept and will continue to do it the wrong way. I have been guilty of that as well. Two thumbs up for you.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 02/25/06 04:45 PM

25/02/2006
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 1:45
End Time: 2:35
Chest Press (5*6)
5 @ 120kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
3 @ 14kg
2 @ 12kg

'Full' Situp (3*8)

'Reverse' Situp (3*8)

Comments: Cheers Dereck, I know what you mean, it really is hard to drop that weight - but I guess it's best in the long run. I know I wasn't getting enough range of motion, and my form was leaving something to be desired. Once I get the technique busted, the weight will follow.

Anyways, today was pretty good, really enjoyed the chinups. I'm gonna make a seperate post about core exercises, because I think I need some new ones; the ones I'm using at the moment are fair enough, but you know: strive for the best.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/01/06 11:15 AM

Sunday 26th February 2006
Lower Body Day
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 100kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Good session... I thought I'd recorded this a while a go, must have forgotten.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/01/06 11:17 AM

28/02/2006
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 5:55
End Time: 6:45
Chest Press (5*6)
1 @ 127.5kg
3 @ 120kg
1 @ 112.5kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
3 @ 14kg
2 @ 12kg

'Full' Situp (3*8)

'Reverse' Situp (3*8)

Comments: Great workout, really enjoyed it. Felt great afterwards too, so its good all round
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/01/06 12:05 PM

Keep it going tim. Whats your stats?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/02/06 10:08 AM

Stats? If by that you mean weight, height etc., then:

64kgs / 140lbs weight,
17 y/o,
5'6-7" height
9-10% bodyfat (including the 6% requirement, 3-4% without)

Anything else I forgot?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/02/06 01:47 PM

Your birth sign and if you like to walk on the beach in the moonlight with that someone special.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/02/06 02:54 PM

Oh yeah, cheers Dereck

Sagitarius, prefer parks, oh and GSOH + TDAH

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/02/06 06:27 PM

See, this is why I and others like you. Level head on your shoulders. Works out hard with commitment and without an ego. And has a good sense of humor. You will do well in life Tim with this. Cheers to you.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/02/06 10:00 PM

Hey Tim,
Am I reading this right?
Your weight is 140lbs and your bench pressing 290lbs?
If thats correct you have shown tremendous gains from when you first started 4 months ago.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/03/06 01:11 AM

The Chest Press is more like a Peck Deck Machine. Here is some photos.

http://images.google.ca/images?client=fi...sa=N&tab=wi

And yes, Tim is doing awesome.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/03/06 03:29 AM

Seated chest press machines get better every year in regards to the mechanics of the movement. They will never engage the core and stabilisers to the extent of free weights sadly, but you work with what you have access to. I have seen some impressive results achieved with machines (hypertrophy), and because they dictate the correct movement, they can be a good learning tool for beginners, so they can identify the 'feel' of the correct movements, giving them a reference point for their progression to free weight work. They also make working to full intensity safer when un-spotted.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/03/06 04:16 AM

Yeah, I can't say I'm bowled over by how great the chest press is, I prefer benching, it's still perfectly acceptable and I use it in between 3 months of bench press, just to stop my body from adapting too easily. My issues with it are just that the movement doesn't feel like it uses anything accept my chest and triceps, and maybe a bit my shoulders, while a freeweight bench feels like it hits all the stabilisers too. However, as Cord says, it is quite good for going up to really high intensity safely, as jettisoning barbells loaded up to 70-75kg is really not fun when you're lying on your back

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/03/06 03:17 PM

Ahh I see, was looking at your beginning posts and then your ending posts which started with bench, and now it seems ya using chest press =) Keep up the good work, im impressed with your numbers for your size.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/05/06 03:10 PM

04/03/2006
Upper Body Day
Chest Press (5*6)
2 @ 127.5kg
3 @ 120kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12kg

'Situps' (3*8)

'Reverse Situps' (3*8)

Comments: Cheers Diabolic, I aim to amaze

I still haven't actually worked out what the situp/reverse situp type things I'm doing are called... the name 'Legionnaire' or 'Roman' situps comes to mind, but meh... This was a good workout anyways. Once I can get 5 good sets at 127.5kg I'll have to go back to the bench, as that's all the weight that's on the stack... hopefully I might be able to push up to 80kg on the bench, but this might just be wishful thinking!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/05/06 03:13 PM

05/03/06
Lower Body Day
End Time: 6:55
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 110kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Wow, I still find that farmer's walk + lunges such a tough finishing exercise... thanks Cord + Dereck I've shoved up the squat by 10kg, I was still keeping the technique pat, so I'll keep it there for 2 more sessions then move it up by another 10kg. Once I hit 140kg, I'll start to increment by 2.5 - 5kg rather than the full 10kg wack.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/07/06 02:09 PM

07/03/2006
Upper Body Day
End Time: 6:50
Chest Press (5*6)
1 @ 127.5kg
4 @ 120kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12kg

'Situps' (3*8)

'Reverse Situps' (3*8)

Comments: Good session, I got a really good range of motion on the Chinup

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/08/06 02:02 PM

08/03/06
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 4:40
End Time: 5:30
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 110kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: That was goood I'll put the squat weight up by 5kg next session.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/12/06 04:55 AM

11/03/2006
Upper Body Day
End Time: 4:30
Chest Press (5*6)
1 @ 127.5kg
4 @ 120kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12kg

'Situps' (3*8)

'Reverse Situps' (3*8)

Comments: Good workout. I ache a bit today!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/12/06 11:11 AM

Tim,
Do you have a certain size you want to be? If so what is it and what size are you now?

Keep up the good work.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/13/06 09:28 AM

Tim just wondering, for your back you just do chinups?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/13/06 02:23 PM

BrianS - I'm not incredibly bothered size-wise; that is to say, I haven't set it down in stone. However, I'm keeping my weight under 154lbs (I'm 145lbs at the moment) for the conceivable future, and am not aiming to gain significant amounts of weight. From what I understand, 4-8lbs of lean muscle mass is a good amount to gain per year, and I'm trying to grow 'clean', so that will probably be my mass gain. I'll have to take some measurements of my current size, as I must admit I have no clue, I'll prolly post the results up tomorrow.

Diabolic - yeah, that's all I'm doing at this moment in time, although for my lower back the squats and funny situp things I'm doing seem pretty adequete (I can't spell today, how on earth to I spell that?). I'll probably have more of an emphasis on the upper back and shoulders next cycle, I'm almost certainly going to be using an overhead press.

Stats from sunday's workout in a moment...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/13/06 02:24 PM

12/03/06
Lower Body Day
End Time: 6:30
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 120kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Okay, I went up by 10kg this week, meh I'll definitely just put it up by 5kg next session

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/14/06 01:03 PM

14/03/2006
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 12:30
End Time: 1:20
Bench Press(5*8)
4 @ 70kg
1 @ 60kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12kg

'Situps' (3*8)

'Reverse Situps' (3*8)

Comments: Got it done in a free period at college today I've swapped back over Bench, I just prefer it... I may, however, go back to chest press next session, we'll see...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/15/06 12:32 PM

15/03/06
Lower Body Day
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 125kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: I'll keep the squat at 125kg next week, as that was pretty tough. Oh yeah, do you like my new saying: 'INTENSTIY BREEDS IMMENSITY!!!' I'd love to hear Ronnie Coleman scream that

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/16/06 04:07 PM

Here's the size at which I know I'm quite big enough - and I'm nowhere near this size yet

It's the powerlifter Roger Estep, giving you a close up pose
[image] http://www.bodybuildingreviews.net/frontpages/rogerestep22.jpg [/image]

Oh, and I am definitely not into the face fuzz or the general dumb dog look on his face

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/16/06 05:08 PM

Google for images of Mike Mentzer to see another guy with this kind of 'not OTT' old school development. Strangely, he too was a proud wearer of a questionable moustache

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/17/06 04:42 AM

Have you thought about switching from situps to crunches?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/17/06 03:03 PM

Cheers Cord, that was exactly what I was thinking of.

Brian - I was doing, what I've just found out, is called a Roman Chair Situp. I've also just found it wasn't particularly recommended, so I'm going to swap it for the Captain's Chair, an exercise considered very effective, and the bicycle (where you lie on the ground and bicycle your legs). The only thing is, that I could really do with working the core as a whole - I already have a six-pack, and if anything my abs are a little overdeveloped.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/17/06 03:41 PM

Quote:

Google for images of Mike Mentzer to see another guy with this kind of 'not OTT' old school development. Strangely, he too was a proud wearer of a questionable moustache

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler68_2_big.jpg

I would love to look like this ... less the moustache. If this is what you are going for Tim then good luck to you. Just know I am as well and now it is a race. You have youth on your side and time ... I have ... I have ... I will have to get back to you on that.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/18/06 08:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler68_2_big.jpg

I would love to look like this ... less the moustache. If this is what you are going for Tim then good luck to you. Just know I am as well and now it is a race. You have youth on your side and time ... I have ... I have ... I will have to get back to you on that.

hehe cheers Dereck... Let the lifting begin!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/19/06 05:21 AM

14/03/2006
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 12:30
End Time: 1:20
Chest Press (5*8)
2 @ 127.5kg
3 @ 120kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12kg

Captain's Chair (3*10)

Bicycle (3 of whatever)

Comments: Good stuff, I'm much happier with the new ab exercises. Really feeling my chest this morning!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/19/06 04:45 PM

19/03/06
Lower Body Day
Squat(5*5)
2 @ 130kg
3 @ 125kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Good, really hard, session. Those squats were mental

Anyways, I'v decided I need a week off, just to let my body and Central Nervous System recover. I've been pushing it pretty hard recently, and am feeling a little overtrained... a week off will allow me to come back stronger and harder than ever.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/19/06 09:02 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you've got a good head on your shoulders Tim.
Posted by: TylerW

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/19/06 09:08 PM

What are captain chairs and farmer walks?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/20/06 03:07 AM

Captain's chair is this : [image]http://www.acefitness.org/images/captainschair.jpg[/image]

Farmer's Walk is where you get a nice big weight in each hand and walk around, it trains the forearms up very nicely and very functionally. I've put them with lunges, so it's kinda a two-for-one deal.

Dereck - keep saying things like that and my 'good head' will be a very swollen head

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/26/06 09:49 AM

Wow, I've been missing my exercise hit! Tomorrow, I get to jump back into a good cardio session, I'll also be working more on static stretching in the morning. Then tuesday I get a weights session and everything is back to normal! yay!

Anyway, I'm feeling a lot better - my grip is way up, haven't felt so strong for a while

On the 15th of April, I'll be swapping to a new workout scheme. I'm probably going to do 2 full body sessions a week and one just squatting session. I feel it would be more worthwhile, what with the intensity of the squats, to do them in their own session, and just once a week so I have plenty of time to recover. I'm still thinking about what I'm going to do in the full-body; I definitely want the bench and overhead press. Any ideas would be great, I guess you guys can guess the kind of thing I'm after, I've been logging for almost 5 months now

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/26/06 03:02 PM

Ah, i do a sort of farmers walk everday then. Working with hay has its upsides.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/26/06 10:24 PM

After a post and a PM back and forth from Matt, it got me looking at my old records and I restarted a work out that I had done years ago back in 2002 and again in 2004. It is a full body work out HIT style (High Intensity Training) and I am doing it twice a week at the present. I'm not going to get into the workout itself but I will give you an idea of what I'm doing ... remember it is just an idea.

Deadlifts
Bench Press
Military Press
Rear Shoulder Shrugs
Close Grip Lat Pulldowns
Alternate Bicep Curls
Weighted Dips
Calve Raises
Weighted Ab Crunches

Here is one they gave as a sample in the HIT workout:

Squat/Leg Press or Deadlifts
Overhead Press
Regular Chin-up
Bench Press
Row or Rear Shrug
Bicep Curls
Tricep Extensions
Lying L-Flye
Calf Raise
Ab Crunches

I listed the one from the HIT workout as it had your Overhead Press and Bench you liked. This may give you some ideas. Good luck in your choice and your progress Tim.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/27/06 11:58 AM

That looks really nice Dereck, I've been thinking about HIT as it is. For the regular chins, would you be talking about weighting them? 'coz unweighted chins are waaay to easy

If I did this, which I may well do (the second one, with a couple of swaps/additions) would we be talking the usual 1 set at 8-12 reps? It looks like I'm going to be out of serious MA training for a bit, while I sort out my calf problem, so a more hypertrophy-based workout seems fine to me. God knows I'm not exactly a big guy at the moment!

Anyways, I had a grrrreat cardio session this morning... funny how you miss working out so much, eh?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/27/06 12:26 PM

Quote:

For the regular chins, would you be talking about weighting them? 'coz unweighted chins are waaay to easy

You could weight them for sure if you find too easy but you may be surprised after doing say Deadlifts followed up Press Ups how tired you are and I think that they may have included these just to further fatigue you.

Quote:

If I did this, which I may well do (the second one, with a couple of swaps/additions) would we be talking the usual 1 set at 8-12 reps?

For myself, and depending on the muscle, I vary what reps I use. HIT suggests the following:

Beginner: 12-15 reps
Intermediate: 8 - 12 reps
Advanced: 6 - 8 reps

Even my first time doing HIT I figured since I had already been lifting for years that that I would put myself in the Intermediate to Advance level. My workout was based between these numbers. Just do what feels good for you. Like anything if too easy or feel you are not getting worked hard enough then add/take off weight or add/take off reps.

Also suggested is 1 to 3 minutes between exercises. Some I needed more and some I did only the minute. In fact there were times I went from one body part to another without any rest in between. This way I was totally fatigued ... keeping in mind that I hadn't over taxed those muscles I was using in the next exercise.

Also suggested is that over time you can eliminate direct bicep/tricep exercise work. I never did as I thoroughly like working those muscles ... well not so much the biceps but love working the triceps. Just play that by ear.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/27/06 02:33 PM

Sorry... is that sets or reps?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/27/06 02:56 PM

My bad Tim ... reps. I will go a head and edit that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/27/06 04:37 PM

Yeah, no problem, you just gave me a bit of a turn for a moment... I did a proper 'double take' Anyway, cheers for all the help. I can't do deadlifts at my gym, so it'll be squats... I'll work out what I'm doing tomorrow/tonight and post it up here for critique/flaming etc

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/28/06 02:42 PM

28/03/2006
Upper Body Day
End Time: 6:00
Chest Press (5*8)
2 @ 127.5kg
3 @ 120kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 12kg

Captain's Chair (3*10)

Bicycle (3 of whatever)

Comments: Yay! I'm back! hehe, really nice session, it's funny how much I missed this... don't think there's anything important to report.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 03/30/06 02:33 PM

29/03/06
Lower Body Day
Squat(5*5)
4 @ 130kg
1 @ 125kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Well, that was painful

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/02/06 07:37 AM

01/03/2006
Upper Body Day
Chest Press (5*8)
1 @ 127.5kg
4 @ 120kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 14kg

Captain's Chair (3*10)

Bicycle (3 of whatever)

Comments: Good stuff

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/02/06 03:33 PM

02/04/06
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 4:00
End Time: 4:50
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 130kg

Farmer's Walk + Lunges
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Good session, I'm going to up the weight by 5kg on the squat next session. Gotta sit down and think up my new HIT routine

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/03/06 08:39 AM

Tim, as far as your diet goes. What percentage is your carbohydrates and milk products?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/03/06 11:00 AM

pfft... no idea I just eat whatever... try to keep it relatively clean - so no copious amounts of chocolate/sweets/crisps etc. I don't usually eat crap in public which helps (I get the whole 'moral superiority' ). As far as I see it, there's no point in working out if I can't enjoy the fruits and eat nice things!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/04/06 11:13 AM

04/03/2006
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 2:40
End Time: 3:25
Chest Press (5*8)
1 @ 127.5kg
4 @ 120kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
4 @ 14kg
1 @ 12kg

Captain's Chair (3*10)

Bicycle (3 of whatever)

Comments: Wasn't particularly into it today... I guess everyone has those days. I feel better now I'm home now, and I can certainly feel the workout

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/04/06 01:10 PM

Quote:

Wasn't particularly into it today... I guess everyone has those days. I feel better now I'm home now, and I can certainly feel the workout

You are absolutely correct Tim, we all get them. These I find are tests, test to see how bad I want to work out. Working out is not easy and when people hit these and get too many of them then they eventually quit if they do not push past them. There were times that I even did it but wasn't in to it for months but I wouldn't quit. I didn't work as hard either and I unfortunately reaped those results, poor as they were; loss in size and strength. Push past them, recognize them for what they are, and then go out there and give it your all.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/04/06 01:38 PM

I find whenever i lift weights whilst sick i get light headed and feel very weak during, so i dont even waste my time trying.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/04/06 04:01 PM

I get that spell a lot. The more you push through them, the stronger you will become! Good work tim.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/05/06 01:27 PM

05/04/06
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 3:50
End Time: 4:40
Squat(5*5)
4 @ 140kg
1 @ 150kg

Farmer's Walk
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: WOW. I was training with Gav again (the ex powerlifter trainer), and he kinda got me to do 4 sets at 140kg... and it was fine Then, rather than do a fifth set at the same weight, we thought, screw it, let's try a single rep at 150kg. Well, I did 2

It's amazing how so much of it is down to psychology - I just wouldn't have dared to do 150kg after 4 sets, and I was only going to put the weight up by 5 kg to 135kg... Well chuffed I went heavy Well, I'm still grinning like a nutter, feeling damn chuffed

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/05/06 03:59 PM

nice work Tim! Amazing what a spotter can do for your confidence in squat eh?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/05/06 06:14 PM

- Awesome

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/09/06 10:20 AM

04/03/2006
Upper Body Day
Start Time: 4:00
Chest Press (5*8)
3 @ 127.5kg
2 @ 120kg

Weighted Chinup(5*8)
5 @ 14kg

Captain's Chair (3*10)

Bicycle (3 of whatever)

Comments: Good stuff.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/09/06 03:31 PM

09/04/06
Lower Body Day
Start Time: 5:30
Squat(5*5)
5 @ 140kg

Farmer's Walk
4 @ 32.5kg

Comments: Another really good session, and a good way to end this cycle. I'm going to rest up over the next week, and start the new routine on Sunday. It'll be interesting to see how things go

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/12/06 12:03 PM

12/04/06
Start: 2:35
End: 3:05
-----------------

0 Squat: 9*130kg
- Bench: 7*65kg
0 Overhead Press: 8 * 17.25kg
0 Weighted Dips 9*15kg
+ Shoulder Shrugs 15*25kg
0 Compound Row 10*84kg
0 Pullups 10*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 10*41kg
0 Farmer's Walk 32.5kg
+ Calf Raise 14*100kg

------------------------
Comments: That was INTENSE! I hadn't quite believed you could get such a tough workout from only one set of each exercise, but by God was I wrong The whole thing only took 30 mins (a little too short, I don't think I rested as much as I should) and there was the odd dodgy moment - I totally screwed up with the bench, it was in a smith machine and the 'twist-out' put my wrists in a stupid position which virtually ruined the set. I'll sort that out next time.

Changes:
1) More rest time between sets - not that much, maybe a minute more here and there
2) Getting rid of Farmer's walks in favour of an incline Dumbell Bench Press, since a lot of those exercises were already pretty hard on the forearms.
3) I didn't do as well here as I could, partly because of some new exercises, and also because I hadn't got a long enough 'impossible rep' on many of the exercises.

I'll just be really going for it next session, now I know what to expect. And besides, this was an incredibly tough workout anyway! Probably the most gruelling I've ever undertaken. It can only get better...

Oh yeah, an explanation of my coded workout log;)

the first bit is whether or not I'm going to increase the weight, lower it or leave it. 0=leave +=increase and -= decrease. Then the exercise name. Then the number of reps + the weight used.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/12/06 06:37 PM

The first while doing anything is finding what works but good for you Tim. When I had my best results I did something that I found worked for me so you may want to give this a try.

As this is suppose to be done going till fatigue I figured I might as well exhaust that muscle totally. When I was say done an exercise, and we will use Rear Shoulder Shrugs for example, I would place the bar down because I couldn't do any more and then I would wait a few seconds and then pick it up and do as many as I could. Even if I could move the bar slightly then I continued until it was nothing but dead weight. This can be done for just about any exercise, though you may need spotters for some. When I started doing this then I really made advancements for muscle and strength development. Just an idea for you to try and you will totally know you fatigued that muscle.

Can't wait to read more.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/13/06 12:01 PM

Sounds like a great plan Dereck, I'll try that on a couple of the exercises next session.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/15/06 03:19 PM

15/04/06
Start: 4:45
End: 5:30
-----------------

+ Squat: 12*130kg
0 Bench: 9*65kg
0 DB Bench: 8*25kg
0 Overhead Press: 8 * 17.25kg
+ Weighted Dips 12*17.5kg
+ Shoulder Shrugs 15*30kg
+ Compound Row 13*84kg
0 Pullups 9*-
+ Levered Bicep Curl 15*46kg
+ Calf Raise 13*120kg

------------------------
Comments: I decided to do my workout today rather than sunday - I'll be too full on chocolate to exercise by then Actually, I think I will do a workout every 3 days, because I'm young and I was entirely recovered by today.

Well , that was another intense session. I think the main thing that was holding me back (and still is, a bit) is just not being used to the new system. That'll improve as I get more used to some of the exercises, get into it etc.. Still, Dereck, your ideas on fatiguing the muscles helped a lot, especially on squeezing everything I had out of the weighted dips

The Chest stuff still isn't great, but the back + biceps are going well, and I'm well chuffed about being able to increase the weight on the squat. I think I'm just finding my ideal weight level for a range of reps I'm just not used to.

Anyway, good stuff

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/15/06 03:36 PM

It is a feeling period in the beginning finding out what works. When I'm doing shrugs sometimes I can't hold on anymore and I will set it down for just enough time to get my grip and then back up and continue where I left off. Then when done I will wait a few seconds just to recover and then grab it again and then fatigue the muscle by moving it as much as I can until I can't. At that point I won't get the full range of motion but it will drain me completely.

Give it time and find you way with it. Then I believe you will start to see increases in reps of which you can then throw on more weight and start over. And if you are stuck at doing say 8 reps and just can't get that 9th, the next time start counting backwards from 9 and see if that works ... you may find you can push yourself to get #1.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/20/06 03:12 PM

Dammit, got a sprained wrist so I'm out of training till it's better - no sense screwing it up worse and I'm having probs lifting my bag, let alone weights Actually, I was going to try and train through it, but then I thouhgt of Dereck... 'nuff said

arggh typing with one hand is annoying...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/20/06 03:55 PM

I was wondering when you were going to post Tim. Yes, use me as an example ... that way you'll know if you train injured you will remain injured and then other bad injuries can occur.

Don't worry Tim, I worked out injured last night for the both of us and had a good night. Upped most weights and/or reps doing the HIT program. Wishing I was getting more out of the Deadlift but darn grip won't hold, and I've got pretty good grip strength. Deadlifts will never be squats but squats are a big no no for me.

Your thread so I won't talk anymore about my workout. You get better as I want to see your results doing this program. Take care of yourself.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/23/06 11:32 AM

Aaaarrrghhh!!! I wanna train!!! its still out of action, but its getting better... hopefully training by tuesday?
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/23/06 03:53 PM

Sorry to hear about your wrist hope it heals fast and well for you. Is this you main log? Do you add other stuff to your own log that you do not post? The reason I am asking I was thinking about starting one for both my work out and eating hobbits. Keep up the good work you guys inspire me to work harder

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/23/06 10:06 PM

* Gojuwarrior1 hurries up and works out every minute to catch up with Tim's progress *

Get well time and rest that wrist !

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/23/06 11:36 PM

Quote:

The reason I am asking I was thinking about starting one for both my work out and eating hobbits.

How do you like your hobbits? Sautéed, stewed or Al Dente? Best to get a nice fat juicy hobbit like Samwise Gamgee.

Sorry Tim for pirating your thread but he teed it up and I hit it out of the ball park.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/24/06 12:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The reason I am asking I was thinking about starting one for both my work out and eating hobbits.

How do you like your hobbits? Sautéed, stewed or Al Dente? Best to get a nice fat juicy hobbit like Samwise Gamgee.

Sorry Tim for pirating your thread but he teed it up and I hit it out of the ball park.

I'd forgive you, but I can't because young Pippin and Merry would make far better eating... and btw, good job on the funny 'e'
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 04/27/06 01:14 AM

Dang spell check.
At least it brightened some ones day.

You guys never told me that lifting weights was like an addictive drug. I always want more and it is a great natural high.
Hope the wrist is doing better

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/02/06 02:31 PM

I'm baaaaaaaaaacckkk!!! YAY! Took it a little easy in the gym today - nto as much work to failure as I didn't have a spotter. I've got a couple of changes ahead too - see below.

02/05/06
Start: 12:40
End: 1:10
-----------------

0 Squat: 8*140kg
0 Bench: 10*60kg
- DB Bench: 4*25kg
0 Overhead Press: 10*17.25kg
0 Weighted Dips 9*20kg
+ Compound Row 9*91kg
0 Pullups 9*-
+ Levered Bicep Curl 9*50kg
+ Calf Raise 10*130kg

------------------------
Comments: I took half an hour. Big mistake, I rushed through the chest + tricep stuff too quick and felt slightly nauseous by the time I got to the back+biceps. I'll slow down next time.

Changes: Still not hitting the shoulders hard enough I'm going to put in shoulder shrugs and a machine overhead press. Next time I'll have a spotter so I can go to failure on more lifts. YAY! Oh, and my hands were still shaking an hour after this session, so I guess it still hasn't lost its horror value!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/03/06 12:27 AM

Glad to see you back at things Tim. Usually when I do my work out it lasts 45 minutes to an hour, but this is because when I'm done my set I will put the bar down for a moment and then pick it up and do as many complete and incomplete reps until the muscle is really drained.

Tonight I did it different. I did the whole workout as the 1 reps without do the extras. When I was done it was about a half an hour and then ... I did it again. I wasn't able to do the same amount of reps, except for my biceps and triceps, but the majority I was able to do just 1 less rep. And for the Rear Lat Pulldowns, I was able to do 3 more. Suffice it to say ... I am paying for it now. It has been an hour since I finished, maybe a little longer, and I am completely if not mentally drained. On top of that, I had been fighting a bad head cold for a week and I was just getting better. Finished my protein drink, going to take some Neocitrin and some nightime Dristin pills and then it is off to bed.

Keep at it Tim and let us know your progress.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/06/06 01:29 PM

06/05/06
Start: 2:00
End: 2:45
-----------------

0 Squat: 9*140kg
0 Bench: 9*65kg
- DB Bench: 8*20kg
0 Weighted Dips 10*20kg
+ Shoulder Shrugs 13*70kg
+ Compound Row 13*91kg
0 Pullups 9*-
+ Levered Bicep Curl 12*50kg
+ Calf Raise 13*130kg

------------------------
Comments: Great stuff, did what you recommended Dereck and put in a couple of supersets - on the DB Bench and Dips, and generally just went to failure. Pretty damn hardcore, was shaking as I came out of the gym and had to quickly consume an apple and banana before I could start walking home. I'm gonna put the shrugs up to 80kg, and swap from DBs to a BB, probably a smith machine. However, I might also replace them for lateral raises... thoughts?

The other thing that I really changed this workout was the bench. I've been noticing that my bench is ridiculously wide-grip: we're talking wide grip deadlift wide So, I've brought it in a good way and it's feeling much more comfortable now, as well as hitting the triceps a little harder. Got it to total failure as well, thanks to having a spotter around - the final negative, where I didn't even have the strength to rack it, was excrutiating but kind of rewarding at the same time

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/06/06 01:59 PM

Sounds like an awesome workout Tim. Dumbbells or Barbells, give either a try and see what you like. Lateral Raises, again give it a try. The big this is that you are pushing yourself and feeling it after you workout out.

I always tried little things here and there just to see if they would work. That is how I found out I got better benefits when I would set the bar down for a few seconds and then pick it up again and push out one or more full reps and a few partial reps to really fatigue the muscle. Those little things can make the difference.

Definitely increase the weight on the Shrugs, and possibly your Compound Rows and Calf Raises. The Shrugs is one of those exercises that I put the bar down and pick back up. I don't know your smallest incriment of weights you can add but for myself it is 5 lbs (2.5 lb plates per side). Sometimes if I get my "mind" right, I will tell myself it is the same weight I've been lifting and will do the exact same reps or more taking me to the next level. I've even made mistakes of adding more weight to exercises and finding them difficult but pushing myself to get those reps that I was doing and actually getting them. Then once I figured out that I had made a mistake then I realized if I pushed myself I could actually do more.

Keep at it and I'm hoping for good results for you. Make sure you rest good and get plenty of good food. Keep up the good work.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/09/06 12:14 PM

09/05/06
Start: 12:20
End: 1:05
-----------------

0 Squat: 10*140kg
0 Bench: 10*65kg
0 DB Bench: 10*20kg
0 Weighted Dips 10*20kg
0 Front Lateral Raises 8*7.5kg
0 Compound Row 11*95.5kg
0 Pullups 10*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 10*55kg
0 Calf Raise 10*140kg

------------------------
Comments: It was a very decent workout, althoguh it's a shame I didn't hit the magic 12 reps so I can push some stuff up... I might put the compound row up anyway, same with the calf raises. The lateral raises are very nice, much prefered to the shoulder shrugs. I may do farmer's walk at the end, I'll see h ow I feel at the end of my next workout. Man I am going to ache tomorrow... it's funny how, in all my other HIT days I've thought I'd be fine the next day and I've ached like crazy... Guess it must drain me more than I think.

I'm not listing what 'special tricks' I used on the exercises, but rest assured that I'm incorporating some drop sets in there, plus just picking the bar up and repping out some more if it's at all possible, as Dereck suggested. It's all gravy, and by God I am feeling it now!

Actually, a funny thing happened today... I was wearing baggier boxers than I usually do (that's underwear in case it's a collquial expression), and as I warmed up on a 110kg squat, there was a loud ripping sound... everyone looked at me and, sufficed to say, that's one less pair of boxer shorts I've got at my disposal!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/13/06 08:23 AM

12/05/06
Start: 5:00
End: 5:45
-----------------

0 Squat: 11*140kg
+ DB Bench: 12*20kg
0 Overhead Press: 10*20kg
0 Weighted Dips 10*20kg
0 Front/Side Lateral Raises 10*7.5kg / 10*4kg
0 Compound Row 9*98kg
0 Pullups 10*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 9*55kg
0 Calf Raise 11*140kg

------------------------
Comments: Almost there on the squat, I'll get it next session. Pretty damn horiffic though! I'm getting the hang of the DB bench and O'head press now, the synergists are starting to catch up.

I've changed my form on the bench to a powerlifting one - I was reading a couple of articles on preventing shoulder injury, and they recommended that the elbows are tucked in, so that less stress is placed on the outer part of the pecs and inner shoulder. Only problem with this is that more stress is placed on the triceps and shoulders relative to the more common elbows-out approach, which hits the chest very hard. No problem, my DB Bench can make up for that.

Those laterals, both side and front, are really tough - surprisingly so! It may look like 4kg and 7.5kg is a tiny amount of weight, but try it - I guess the leverage placed on relatively small muscles is pretty intense.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/15/06 04:30 PM

15/05/06
Start: 12:00
End: 12:45
-----------------

0 Squat: 8*140kg
0 Bench: 8*65kg
0 DB Bench: 10*22.5kg
0 Weighted Dips 9*20kg
0/+ Front/Side Lateral Raises 8*7.5kg / 12*4kg
0 Compound Row 10*98kg
0 Pullups 8*-
+ Levered Bicep Curl 12*55kg
+ Calf Raise 12*140kg

------------------------
Comments: Okay, today was not a good session at all. I think I was overly tired from Friday and the exam I had this morning - nothing like an exam for wearing you out... The squating was rubbish, I was a little worried about a niggle in my knee. I swear I had much better RoM last session! Anyway, today I regressed on a few lifts, improved on a few others, and stayed static on the rest. Not good, but we all have these days, I won't take any weights down because I don't feel that this workout was representative of my usual lifting ability. Ah well

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/19/06 12:16 PM

18/05/06
Start: 8:35
End: 8:25
-----------------

+ Squat: 12*140kg
+ DB Bench: 12*22.5kg
0 Overhead Press: 9*20kg
0 Weighted Dips 10*20kg
0/+ Front/Side Lateral Raises 8*7.5kg / 12*4kg
+ Compound Row 11*98kg
0 Pullups 8*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 8*59kg
+ Calf Raise 13*150kg

--------------
Comments: Woohoo! Great session. It was in the late evening, and I think that may have helped. Forgot to put up the side laterals, meh. 5 exercises going up in weight

The squat was UNREAL. My legs were shaking like leaves by the 10th rep, and the last two were absolutely horrific. I literally had to wait 5 minutes before I could bring myself to get up and swap plates for the bench. Still, really, really, chuffed.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/19/06 12:27 PM

Good stuff Tim.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/19/06 08:30 PM

Alright Tim, at least someone isnt being lazy!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/22/06 08:39 AM

21/05/06
End: 5:55
-----------------

0 Squat: 9*145kg
+ DB Bench: 10*25kg
0 Weighted Dips 11*20kg
0/+ Front/Side Lateral Raises 10*7.5kg / 12*5kg
+ Compound Row 12*98kg
0 Pullups 9*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 8*59kg
0 Calf Raise 14*160kg

--------------
Comments: I'm going to move the max rep range to 12-20 on the calf raise, it strikes me as a burner. Took a bit longer than usual because it took forever to get enough weight plates and some people were using what I wanted Pretty damn good session though.

I'm actually writing this the day after, I wanted to use my time last night to revise for my two Maths AS exams, which I did this morning. Went pretty well I guess, I'm quite pleased with them. Only 11 AS exams left hehe

EDIT: oh, and by the way, at my weekly weigh-in, I weighed in at 149-150lbs... so I've gained a good 5-6lbs since I started! I don't think I've become particularly less cut, so this is proving to be a real success. I'll stop gaining probably when I hit 154lbs.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/24/06 03:45 PM

24/05/06
Start: 4:10
End: 5:00
-----------------

+ Squat: 12*145kg
+ DB Bench: 11*25kg
0 Weighted Dips 10*20kg
0/+ Front/Side Lateral Raises 9*7.5kg / 9*6kg
0 Compound Row 10*102.5kg
0 Pullups 9*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 10*59kg
0 Calf Raise 16*160kg

--------------
Comments: Fantastic squatting session. Actually, a funny thing happened... I racked up the weight, ready to squat, and some guys started looking at me like "are you sure you can do that". So, I start repping out, roaring as I go ( ), and by number 8 my legs are shaking and I've got about half the gym watching me... So I make it to 12 (and it really was horrible), rack the weight and collapse onto a bench. And a couple of these guys come up and pat me on the back, shake my hand, and proceed to take the weight off for me, and set it up for my bench... while I sit their gratefully recovering my breath, and trying to stop my hands shaking! I think part of it is that I was wearing shorts, which I never do, and I have kinda 'monster' legs - they're *big*. Anyway enough gabbling, that squat will be at 150kg next week

The calf raise was pretty damn good, as was the compound row. I'm just a little worried I'll be lifting the stack on the row soon, so I'll need to switch to a new lift... it goes up to just under 130kg, so we'll see what happens

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/24/06 04:21 PM

So that everybody puts this into persective, Tim weighs 150 lbs and is Squatting 320 lbs.

That is awesome Tim, just freaking awesome. Let me ask you, do you find with HIT that this has taken you to the next level on many of your lifts or do you think that with your previous plan you would have been there later and maybe not just this fast?

I know HIT worked with me the first time amazingly. The second time not so much. The third time, right now, is still a work in progress. I need to eat more. I've been running into barriers. I've actually lost some weight especially in my waist area that I've gone down a jean size and all of my pants fit really loose. These are positives and on some of my lifts I've gone up. I'm stuck at the moment with my bench and military press but will still keep plugging away. Also I found I am stronger with even more rest then I was giving myself so I will play with that as well.

So what are your thoughts so far on HIT?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/24/06 04:32 PM

Well, I can't fault the weight gains - 6lbs in 3 weeks is good by any standards, and I'm still gaining. Part of that is making a conscious effort to eat a lot, but the HIT is really giving me plenty of time to recover, meaning more time for hypertrophy.

The gains with the squat and the back/bicep work have really astounded me, I feel I'm really getting a lot better at these. Bear in mind that I was struggling to get out 3 reps at 150kg just a couple of months ago, and did 12 at 145kg today - that's a huge increase. I simply don't believe that my old program was quite as taxing, and maybe that's because I'm a classic ectomorph and respond well to failure.

As for the chest/tricep work, I'm having issues here. I don't seem to be able to bust those old benching plateaus, but at least my Dumbell bench is increasing leaps and bounds. I think that as my DB bench reaches parity with my BB bench, I'll start to see my BB bench go up again. I also think that part of the problem with the chest/tricep work is that it is difficult to really go all out without a spotter. At the moment I'm doing a kind of drop set, without dropping the actual weights used, and I think that this will help, as will some of the eccentric failure stuff. We'll have to see how things go, but I'm confident that I can beat my body into submission

So, overall I'm very, very impressed with HIT. The weight gains are fantastic, the increase in resistance is great, I enjoy working to failure, seem to recover well, and I think it's only a matter of time before I get a freakishly large bench!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/24/06 05:12 PM

Hey Tim, I'm a Mesomorph and what I found is I need "more" chest workout, or at least I did when I was lifting with HIT the first time. The second time I only did the one set but I am following my older routine more closer and am doing 1 set with a weight I can lift 5 to 8 times and then I go to my second bench with minimal or no rest and pump out 8 more with a weight that allows me to do it to failure. The difference between the one weight to the next is 32 lbs. And I might also throw in a couple of partials on the first lift if when I'm bringing it down and I know I can't get one more out. Most times I can't do more then one partial and then I just lower the bar slowly down until I have it over my chest and the safety bars take over the weight.

Like I was saying earlier, I am having some problems with upping my bench and shoulders and this type of exercising may be effecting my shoulders as they have been sore or uncomfortable. I will figure it out and I will make gains (trying to be positive). I may trying switching these around or implementing a different exercise or something.

Also one thing that I did do then that I'm not doing now is that 3 or 4 nights a week I would lift a couple of times my max. I know, I know, when people hear this it doesn't seem good but for me I saw good results ... so let me explain. My bench with the safety bars allows me to crawl under it so the weight is over my chest. I would then throw on a weight such as 300 lbs, of which at that time I could not lift. I would try to move this off of my chest and continue to push. Sometimes it wouldn't move at all. I'd try this 2 or 3 times in a night giving myself a 15 minutes to 1/2 hour break between them. The next day I would try and it may move a few centimeters. Then next day it may move an inch ... and so on till I was lifting it 2 inches, 4 inches until one day I could do a complete lift. Then I'd push on until I could do 2 or 3 full lifts before the I'd add weight for the next day. Eventually this and HIT I was up to 332 lbs in a few months. I started this again last night and am starting with 290 lbs and got it up just over an inch. This sucks as I know what I could do before and that ego thing still bothers me a bit. I just have to keep reminding myself that I am more physically fit and more functional because of martial arts so get over it.

Just thought I'd give you some tips I had. Not sure if you can do something like this but possibly by just adding some more chest or tricep exercises this may get you over that hump. Worth a try and if not then you can always cut back. Good luck and you are doing awesome.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/25/06 05:08 AM

oops I just realised I went momentarily insane and said I was an ectomorph... Sorry, I meant a mesomorph! Heh, I certainly am not the endurance type

The shoulder soreness problem you're having sounds like a common complaint. The solution, I think, is to switch to a powerlifting bench. That means you tuck your elbows at your side, and keep your grip shoulder width apart. here's the article I got it from. It's worth trying, at any rate. I'll try the benching impossible weight thing, it sounds good. Can't hurt, anyway.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/25/06 05:55 PM

here I am... no I've gone again...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/25/06 07:33 PM

Thanks Tim, I will give this a once over before I work out again on Saturday.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/25/06 10:13 PM

Hey Tim, why dont you post your nonweight training days on here? I would like to see what else, if anything else, you do.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/26/06 09:01 AM

Quote:

Hey Tim, why dont you post your nonweight training days on here? I would like to see what else, if anything else, you do.

Well, goju, that would just take *far* too long And besides, I don't want to lay out my entire life on here! Just so you know what I did today: some sprint drills and footwork drills, for about 30 mins. Some technique work for 45 mins (mostly boxing work, some low kicks). And a 3-hour English Literature exam

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/26/06 10:10 AM

English exam! You must be pooped .

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 05/28/06 04:51 PM

28/05/06
Start: 6:25
End: 7:10
-----------------

0 Squat: 9*150kg
0 DB Bench: 8*27.5kg
0 Weighted Dips 9*20kg
0/0 Front/Side Lateral Raises 9*7.5kg / 8*6kg
+ Compound Row 12*102.5kg
0 Pullups 9*-
+ Levered Bicep Curl 11*59kg
0 Calf Raise 16*164kg

--------------
Comments: Not a good session, at all. I blame it on a naughty KFC for lunch... the Pepsi caused an insulin dump methinks... Still, the squat was decent enough, and the back/bicep stuff is going up.

Now, as for the chest... I think I'm going to totally reorganise it. First, I'm going to do it *after* the back/bicep work. I know it seems counter-intuitive to put somethign you suck at right to the end, but my reason is that I think the squats nuke me too much. I'm also going to change the chest/tricep workout to this:

Dumbell Bench (as before)
Pec Flies (I know they're not very functional, but they're going to be the post-exhaust chest killer)
O'head Press (dumbell as before)
Weighted Dips (as before)

My reasons for the change are the following:
1) I was testing where my weak link on the bench was, and it was suprisingly the pecs - I can lock out and lift when the triceps take over, but down the bottom on the chest, I can't get it to budge (I was testing with an 80kg bar).
2) The barbell bench, I feel, should be left for a while. I don't think it's shocking my body enough, and it seems too close to the dumbell bench. The dumbell bench will also make sure I get a good enough range of motion, to really hit that chest.
3) The isolation work is unusual for me (as you know), so it might give the chest just the shock it needs.

We'll see if this helps anyway! By the way, the front/side laterals will still be in there. What do you guys think of the changes?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/02/06 07:56 AM

01/06/06
Start: 4:15
End: 4:55
-----------------

0 Squat: 10*150kg
0 Compound Row 9*105kg
0 Pullups 9*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 8*64kg
+ DB Bench: 13*27.5kg
0 Pec Flies 9*50kg
+ Overhead Press: 12*20kg
0 Weighted Dips 9*20kg
0/0 Front/Side Lateral Raises 10*7.5kg / 9*6kg
+ Calf Raise 18*164kg

--------------
Comments: Went really well, I felt much better about doing the chest stuff later on, and I'm really feeling it today Plus, I can up the weight on both the DB Bench and the O'head PRess, so things are going well - I think that having the barbell bench was pre-exhausting the DB Bench and damaging my lifting potential, with no noticable gain. We'll see how things go!
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/02/06 08:14 AM

How are your benefits coming along. Are you getting stronger, losing body fat, or just over all feeling better. Post updates!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/02/06 06:25 PM

Quote:

How are your benefits coming along. Are you getting stronger, losing body fat, or just over all feeling better. Post updates!

Well, I'm not going to make any broad claims or deep analysis until the end of the cycle, in about a couple of months. However, as a general idea, it's certainly working for putting on some muscle mass - I haven't lost my six-pack yet (although I'm expecting to any day soon, and I am less ripped) - and I've gone from 144lbs to 152lbs in 4 weeks. I'm aiming, I think, to hit 160lbs by the end of the cycle, but we'll see, I may go over to 165, or just keep gaining and see where I can get. As long as my body fat percentage doesn't go through the roof, I'll happily keep gaining.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/05/06 12:05 PM

04/06/06
Start: 5:10
End: 6:00
-----------------

0 Squat: 11*150kg
0 Compound Row 10*105kg
0 Pullups 9*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 9*64kg
0 DB Bench: 9*30kg
0 Pec Flies 9*50kg
0 Overhead Press: 8*22.5kg
0 Weighted Dips 10*20kg
0/0 Front/Side Lateral Raises 11*7.5kg / 10*6kg
+ Calf Raise 18*173kg

--------------
Comments: Good session, can't say much because I've got to revise for 3 Philosophy and one Maths exam tomorrow

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/10/06 03:38 PM

I've finished my AS Exams!!!! YAY!!! They went pretty well for the most part, except that I screwed up totally on one of my history exams; did questions 1 b) and 2 a) when you're supposed to do 1 a) and b) OR 2 a) and b)... Oh well, my teacher will say what happened on the reference for University, and I can just retake that exam anyway. It's actually possible that I could get an A grade anyway, even with half-marks on that exam. Not easy, but possible - not holding out much hope, but you never know. Anyway, without any further ado... The workout:

07/06/06
Start: 7:25
End: 7:15
-----------------

+ Squat: 12*150kg
0 Compound Row 10*105kg
0 Pullups 8*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 8*64kg
0 DB Bench: 10*30kg
0 Pec Flies 10*50kg
0 Overhead Press: 7*22.5kg
+ Weighted Dips 12*20kg
0/0 Front/Side Lateral Raises 8*7.5kg / 10*6kg
0 Calf Raise 15*181kg

--------------
Comments: Not a great session, but never mind. Did a quick 'easy' strength check before the workout, just checking what I could squat without too much trouble (ie. my 'fooling around' 3RM). Hit 160kg without too much trouble, but decided to leave it there so as to have something for the workout. The Overhead Press reps look low, but it's becuase I felt a dodgy 'thing' in my shoulder (you know the one ) I think it was probably a weird scapula alignment, never mind.

I NOW HAVE A WEEK FREE!!!! YAYYYY!!!!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/11/06 03:06 AM

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/12/06 03:48 PM

11/06/06
Start: 7:20
End: 8:00
-----------------

0 Squat: 8*155kg
0 Compound Row 11*105kg
0 Pullups 10*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 9*64kg
0 Pec Flies 10*50kg
0 Overhead Press: 9*22.5kg
0 Weighted Dips 9*22.5kg
0/+ Front/Side Lateral Raises 11*7.5kg / 12*6kg
0 Calf Raise 18*181kg

--------------
Comments: Good session actually, only the minor lifts are up, but meh.
Posted by: Landus

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/15/06 11:53 AM

Absolutely great Tim you've done really well keep up the good work! I have to agree with Dereck that you've kept positive throughout and been wise enough to when to have a break. I believe now I'm destined to have a 4 pack but that's not too bad. You've given me a lot of motivation and I hope your dedication has really inspired people here. Keep it going!!!!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/17/06 12:45 PM

14/06/06
Start: 7:30
End: 8:15
-----------------

0 Squat: 9*155kg
0 Compound Row 11*105kg
0 Pullups 8*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 10*64kg
+ Pec Flies 15*50kg
0 Overhead Press: dodgy, see below
0 Weighted Dips 9*22.5kg
0/0 Front/Side Lateral Raises 10*7.5kg / 9*7kg
0 Calf Raise 14*191kg

--------------
Comments: Ta Landus, gotta say I'm just enjoying the training and going with the flow I know this is posted a couple of days late, but I was busy relaxing, reading and watching the footy. I know, relaxing has never been so tiring!

Really busy gym, not going at that time again. Had to skip the DB overhead press and do it on a Nautilus machine instead, followed by some free-weight barbell o'head presses. Won't repeat if at all possible, but I can't stand waiting mid-workout. I'm also going to lwoer the calf raise weight a bit, and concentrate on holding it contracted at the top for longer.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/21/06 03:44 PM

18/06/06
End: 5:45
-----------------

0 Squat: 12*110kg
0 Compound Row 11*105kg
0 Pullups 10*-
0 Levered Bicep Curl 10*64kg
0 DB Bench: 10*30kg
0 Pec Flies 8*57kg
0 Overhead Press: 10*22.5
0 Weighted Dips 9*22.5kg
0/0 Front/Side Lateral Raises 12*7.5kg / 9*7kg
0 Calf Raise not doing

--------------
Comments: I had a dodgy ankle from playing rugby, so went light on the squats and didn't do calf raises. This was the last HIT session, I'm switching to 5*5 now.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/21/06 03:53 PM

21/06/06
Start: 12:00
End: 12:50

152.25kg Squat 4/4/ -140kg- 4/4/4

30kg DB Bench 5/5/5/5/5

15kg Weighted Pullup 5/4/5/3/4

------------------------
Comments: First of the 5*5s! By the way, the squat will be at 5*4, I wanted to lower the volume on it slightly. I went too high to begin with on the squat, I'll drop to 145 next time. I felt my knee go a bit dodgy after the second set, so dropped the weight to 140kg. Range of Movement wasn't great either. The DB Bench was an absolute doddle, that'll go up to 32.5 next week. The only problem is, the DBs only go up to 35kg, so I may have to switch back to BB benching sooner than I hoped. Going to work for a greater range of movement on the pullup too.

Deadlifts next sesh! And I'm doing endurance/rotational/ab work tomorrow. I'll reveal what I did tomorrow. I wanted to stay as close to the Hammer Down: Endurance (by Waterbury) program as possible, but it looks like I'm going to just have to nick bits and pieces, as I don't really have the right facilities.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/21/06 06:31 PM

Also will be starting a 5x5 regiment shortly Tim. I also did something ... I picked up some protein powder and hopefully that will help with all of my weight loss. I'll check in to see how things are doing.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/22/06 01:38 PM

Quote:

Also will be starting a 5x5 regiment shortly Tim. I also did something ... I picked up some protein powder and hopefully that will help with all of my weight loss. I'll check in to see how things are doing.

Cool, it's great to have a kind of parallel training program I'm not really into supplement shakes, but that's just because I'm too darn lazy to drag them down the gym, and the one I got tastes nasty

Anyway, today's Endurance:

10 mins Cross-Trainer (most total-body thing I could find)
10 mins Rowing (A close second)
Ab work (I'm going to vary this a bit, won't go into details)
Plyometrics (squat-jumps, jumping round as far as possible - go rotational strength - clapping pushups) I'll vary the plyometrics too, find some good drills.

I know the cardio may seem a litte low - 20 minutes in all - but I'm trying to work the Anaerobic system through short, hard bursts. The rise in metabolism is still accomplished, and it doesn't leave me spending 2 hours in the gym

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/23/06 05:54 PM

23/06/06
Start: 6:20
End: 7:35

120kg Deadlift 4/3/4/1/1

32.5kg DB Bench 5/5/4/4/3

15kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/5/4/4

------------------------
Comments: I'll drop the Deadlift to 110kg. Everything else will stay the same. My god my deadlifting face is scary... looked like I was having an anneurysm I've also absolutely shredded my hands, I'm reckoning on 4 blisters by tomorrow. I'll tape up with surgical tape next time, don't want to use gloves as they'll support my grip too much.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/27/06 09:11 AM

26/06/06
Start: 6:00
End: 6:50

145kg Squat 4/4/3/4/3

32.5kg DB Bench 5/5/5/5/5

15kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/5/5/5

------------------------
Comments: Up we go with the DB Bench and Pullup! Good session.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/27/06 10:59 AM

Quote:

32.5kg DB Bench 5/5/5/5/5

Hi Tim, is this per hand or total? (i.e. 16.25kg per hand or 32.5kg per hand)

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/27/06 03:57 PM

32.5 per hand. I should probably have been more specific from the beginning, to be honest. When I talk about bar exercises, I'm talking the total weight, when it's DBs I just count each hand. By the way, I just finished my endurance/plyometric/rotational core workout and tested my BB bench at 80kg... done, done and done! yay!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 06/28/06 01:54 PM

28/06/06
Start: 4:35
End: 5:10

35kg DB Bench 5/3/5/4/3

17.5kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/5/4/4

------------------------
Comments: Okay stuff, couldn't deadlift because my hands are still blistered... I'm going to pick up some gloves to protect them, nothing that helps the grip, just prevent too much blistering.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/01/06 05:47 PM

30/06/06
Start: 5:20
End: 6:10

145kg Squat 4/4/4/4/4

32.5kg DB Bench 5/3/5/4/5

17.5kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/4/4/5

------------------------
Comments: Rested on Saturday. My God all this stretching is dull

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/04/06 06:38 AM

03/07/06
Start: 9:15
End: 10:00

145kg Squat 4/4/4/4/4

35kg DB Bench 5/5/2/5/4

22.5kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/5/4/3

------------------------
Comments: I accidently used a 22.5 rather than a 17.5 - but it was okay, so I'll stick with it! I'm getting some weightlifting gloves for deadlifting today.

I'm going to stop squatting. I know, that sounds ridiculous. But the thing is, I've been squatting non-stop for the last 8 months, and it's just starting to stagnate - my concentration is going down and I think form is suffering. Instead, I'm going (for the next month) to just deadlift instead. I'll go back to squatting after my hols abroad, from 1st - 14th Aug.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/07/06 01:35 PM

06/07/06
Start: 3:50
End: 4:40

120kg Deadlift 4/ *110kg 3/4/1/1

35kg DB Bench 5/5/5/5/5

22.5kg Weighted Pullup 5/4/3 *20kg /4/4

------------------------
Comments: This is a bit late... I missed the Wed session for a booze-up/barbeque... well, we all have to let our hair down at some point, and it was the World Cup Italy/Portugal match. Felt a bit wrecked on Wed, but improved as time went on and felt fine when I actually started training. I'm using neoprene fingerless gloves to deadlift with, they just protect the hands from too much callousing, and don't improve grip. Hence, my forearms really hurt today

I'll take saturday off, and go back to the usual rotation on sunday. Don't think I've missed anything important...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/11/06 12:45 PM

10/07/06
Start: 6:00
End: 7:10

110kg Deadlift 4/3/4/3/2

70kg Bench 5/4/3/3/3

20kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/4/4/3

------------------------
Comments: Wow, my chest and upper back/shoulders hurt today! Grip's pretty painful too... Good stuff!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/15/06 02:14 PM

13/07/06
Start: 8:55
End: 9:45

110kg Deadlift 4/4/4/3/2

75kg Bench 5/5/4/4/5

20kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/5/4/4

------------------------
Comments: Good workout.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/18/06 04:32 AM

17/07/06
Start: 2:20
End: 3:20

110kg Deadlift 4/4/3/1/1

75kg Bench 5/5/5/4/5

20kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/4/3/4

------------------------
Comments: Although it looks like I regressed on the deadlift, I think it's more that I worked harder on getting a good range of motion and slowing the negative down. I'm going to take the bench up to 77.5kg next workout.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/20/06 07:46 AM

I'm just posting to say that I've realised I can't possibly manage 3 times a week with this workout. I've cut it to twice. There's only a week and a half left before I finish it and go on holiday anyway. When I come back, I'll ahev a lot more time on my hands, and am thinking of trying out a Waterbury routine... I'm just looking at some possible candidates at the moment.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/20/06 09:01 AM

that is a heavy schedule buddy. twice a week sounds more realistic, unless of course you are allergic to kryptonite

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/22/06 08:56 AM

21/07/06
Start: 3:05
End: 4:05

140kg Squat 4/4/4/4/4

77.5kg Bench 5/4/4/3/3

20kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/4/4/4

------------------------
Comments: I forgot my gloves, so I decided to squat rather than deadlift. I'm really feeling the workout today Bench was good, the pullup wasn't brilliant.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/26/06 09:35 AM

25/07/06
Start: 7:55
End: 8:45

110kg Deadlift 4/4/4/4/4

77.5kg Bench 5/5/4/4/3

20kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/4/4/4

------------------------
Comments: Good workout, the deadlift's going up to 120kg next session. Maybe too big a leap, but we'll see.

A mate gave me this watch with a cool green crystal in it, but I started to feel nauseous, so I got rid of it and felt better almost immediately. Funny that...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/26/06 01:40 PM

Tim, are you finding this workout as demanding as previous workouts? Do you find overall that you are getting stronger and that your shoulders, tricep, biceps, etc. are getting worked out enough?

Your weights are great especially knowing who you are. Now I'm going to have to work even harder as you creep up on me ... dang it.
Posted by: Kazama

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/26/06 08:40 PM

What is kg in comparison to lb. I don't really know, none of my weights say kg on them. I think it's supposed to be like 1 kg=2 lbs.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/27/06 01:07 AM

1 Kilogram (kgs) = 2.2046 Pounds (lbs)

The US uses the imperial system more then any other country that I'm aware of. Canada mostly uses the metric system however when dealing with freight companies it is always in lbs ... and when talking about one's weight or weight lifting it is predominantly lbs as well. In the UK the metric system is mostly used from what I've seen.

Now when it comes down to it the metric system is the most precise system there is for measurement. NASA uses metric and infact any space show worth watching always uses metric as well (i.e. Star Trek series). But the imperial system has been around so long and is known by more especially in the freight business ... and this is big worldwide ... it is just hard to break away from it.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/27/06 07:05 AM

Quote:

Tim, are you finding this workout as demanding as previous workouts? Do you find overall that you are getting stronger and that your shoulders, tricep, biceps, etc. are getting worked out enough?

Your weights are great especially knowing who you are. Now I'm going to have to work even harder as you creep up on me ... dang it.

Hehe, you'd better watch out mate Nah, I've still got a long way to get that bench looking halfway respectable.

Anyway, this workout is harder than the HIT in some ways - I mean, the actual workouts are easier, but the DOMS on my shoulders, chest and occasionally arms can be pretty serious. I think that overall the HIT was more gruelling, but doing the deadlifts at the moment is doing wonders for my grip and back, which I've previously found it difficult to really hit. I'm hoping to really make some impressive gains on shoulder strength.

I think if I wanted to add a bit more work onto the arms (always my weakspot), I'd have a couple of bonus 'booster' sessions during the week. They'd just slot into my cardio/core work, and would involve hammer curls, maybe preacher curls, and kickbacks and tricep extensions. Those are all small isolation exercises, so they'd be unlikely to really interfere with resting, especially as the arm muscles recover faster, and they'd be done in a more bodybuilding style - say 3*10. However, since I'm not really after size at the moment, I'm happy to leave that one.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/31/06 10:48 AM

30/07/06
Start: 5:25

120kg Deadlift 4/4/3/3/1

77.5kg Bench 5/5/5/4/2

20kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/5/5/5

------------------------
Comments: Well, pretty good stuff. This is my last workout for the next 2 weeks - I'm off on holiday to Italy I'm going to take it pretty easy, plenty of stretching and probably some sparring and drills with Supremor... maybe I'll do some calisthenics in the second week, but it's unlikely - I could do with a good rest. I'm going to have to think about what my next cycle will be. I want to continue deadlifting, but beyond that I have no specific plans...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 07/31/06 01:41 PM

Enjoy your break, you've earned it Tim.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 08/23/06 03:41 PM

Right, I just thought I'd report back on a 'test week' I did of the 4-week fun cycle. I'm currently ill with some kind of virus, feeling pretty rotten, so I won't be kicking this off till I'm feeling better. Anyway, I did the test over 5 days, taking 2 days off inbetween for family. On the Deadlift day, I was training with Gav, and was just working on throwing up some serious weight. I got a couple of one-rep sets (probably not ORMs, but close to) at 140kg. By the way, I'm currently residing at 10 and a half stone (67kg or 147lbs, or there abouts). So I'm pretty chuffed with that, hopefully I'll be able to throw up 150kg by the end of the cycle! (yeah right ).

Changes? Cord is absolutely right, the pullup day was overkill. I'll swap the row for something else, probably calf raises, although I have to do these BW calf raises for the physio as well. Anyway, I'll start logging once I'm lifting!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 08/23/06 03:52 PM

Get better Tim. Today I'm "planning" on my own leg day and though I am going to to the 5x5, I'm going to bump this up to 330 lbs PLUS I'm going to try 350 lbs just for the hell of it. I've got to get to 380 lbs for 1 rep by Christmas to get up there with Matt's previous best.

Again get better and look forward to seeing your log.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 08/23/06 04:05 PM

Go for it mate, I look forward to that distant day when I can put 380lbs (?!!?!) up there

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 08/28/06 07:55 AM

Week 1 Day 1 - Deadlift 65% 4*5

27/08/06
Start: 4:15
End: 4:50

-------------
4*5 100kg Deadlift 5/5/5/5

4*8 15kg Hammer Curl 8/8/7/6

4*8 10kg Ab Crunch 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: Lower back not too great but it should get better next session. The 65% week so nothing incredibly tough. Going to increase the Ab Crunch to 15kg. Bench day today, I'll leave for the gym pretty soon... I think this should be a fun cycle at any rate.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 08/29/06 12:13 PM

Week 1 Day 2 - Bench 65% 4*5

29/08/06
Start: 2:30
End: 3:10

-------------
4*5 60kg Bench Press 5/5/5/5

4*8 50kg Tricep Extension 8/8/8/7

4*8 182kg Leg Press 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: Well, I don't like all this fiddling about at low weights Ah well, next week I'll have to bust a gut! Monday was a bank holiday, gym was closed grrr... on 1st and 2nd I'm seeing family a long way away, so I'll just have to work around

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/04/06 04:12 PM

Week 1 Day 3 - Pullup 65% 4*5

30/08/06
Start: 8:15
End: 8:45

-------------
4*5 17.5kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/5/5

4*8 Hanging Leg Raise 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: Light... so a bit dull

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/04/06 04:15 PM

Week 1 Day 5 - Deadlift 65% 4*5

03/09/06
Start: 5:20

-------------
4*5 100kg Deadlift 5/5/5/5

4*8 15kg Preacher Curl 8/8/8/8

4*8 15kg Ab Crunch 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: I think I might get rid of the Preachers and stick with the hammers... I just prefer them. Just too light too be really interesting.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/04/06 04:17 PM

Week 1 Day 6 - Bench 65% 4*5

04/09/06
Start: 5:40

-------------
4*5 60kg Bench Press 5/5/5/5

4*8 50kg Tricep Extension 8/8/8/8

4*8 191kg Leg Press 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: I didn't feel like kickbacks, just went with the tri extension. Still pretty boring without some serious weight. By the way, did you notice I'm catching up on 3 days?

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/05/06 10:37 AM

Week 1 Day 7 - Pullup 65% 4*5

30/08/06
Start: 1:15
End: 1:40

-------------
4*5 17.5kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/5/5

4*8 Hamstring Curls 30 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: My Physio thought that doing some relatively light Hamstring curls would be beneficial as part of the greater stretching routine I'm doing. I dislike them intensely (leg curling just strikes me as stupid) but meh. Last light session! Now I can go HEAVY!!! hehe, bout time I cranked the difficulty up a notch

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/09/06 07:42 AM

Week 2 Day 1 - Deadlift 75% 5*5

07/09/06
Start: 3:55
End: 4:35

-------------
5*5 115kg Deadlift 5/5/5/5

4*8 15kg Hammer Curl 8/8/6/6

-----------
Comments: Good workout. Much more fun

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/09/06 07:45 AM

Week 2 Day 2 - Bench 75% 5*5

08/09/06
Start: 2:05
End: 2:50

-------------
5*5 70kg Bench Press 5/5/5/5

-----------
Comments: Another good workout, enjoying something harder. Got talking to a mate, Sean, who used to be lightweight British Kickboxing Champion (5 times), who's been doing grappling for the last few years. He offered to do some grappling some time, so I'll probably take him up on that next time I train at the cardio gym - certainly beats 15mins on the cross-trainer

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/09/06 04:34 PM

Week 2 Day 3 - Pullup 75% 5*5

30/08/06
Start: 2:55
End: 3:35

-------------
5*5 22.5kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/5/5

4*8 30kg Hamstring Curls 8/8/8/8

4*8 5kg Hanging Leg Raise 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: Good workout! 'Nuff said

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/11/06 02:24 PM

Week 2 Day 5 - Deadlift 75% 5*5

07/09/06
Start: 3:40
End: 4:20

-------------
5*5 115kg Deadlift 5/5/5/5

4*8 15kg Hammer Curl 8/8/7/6

-----------
Comments: It's all good I start college tomorrow (when one smiley is not enough to convey the full range of emotions)

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/11/06 02:51 PM

Enjoy college Tim. 253.53 lbs on the Deadlifts ... excellent.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/16/06 04:06 PM

Week 2 Day 7 - Pullup 75% 5*5

13/09/06
Start: 5:55
End: 6:35

-------------
5*5 22.5kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/5/5

4*8 30kg Hamstring Curls 8/8/8/8

4*8 5kg Hanging Leg Raise 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments:

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/16/06 04:07 PM

Week 2 Day 6 - Bench 75% 5*5

12/09/06
Start: 3:40
End: 4:20

-------------
5*5 70kg Bench Press 5/5/5/5/5

-----------
Comments: Oops I forgot the benching day in between

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/16/06 04:09 PM

Week 3 Day 1 - Deadlift 85% 5*5

15/09/06
Start: 5:05

-------------
5*5 130kg Deadlift 5/5/5/5/3

4*8 15kg Hammer Curl 8/8/6/6

-----------
Comments: That was gruelling; only got 3 reps out on the last set, stopped because I realised I was going to damage myself with anything more. Today, the day after, my back *hurts*

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/16/06 04:11 PM

Week 3 Day 2 - Bench 85% 5*5

16/09/06
Start: 3:30
End: 4:10

-------------
5*5 80kg Bench Press 5/5/4/4/4

-----------
Comments: Good stuff, the bench was suprisingly okay. Should manage 5 reps every set next time.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/16/06 04:14 PM

By the way, I just realised that when I posted previous logs, I forgot the last set on the 5*5, because I'd been copy-pasting the first 3 logs as a template. Oh well, until the heavy week I just started, I finished all 5 sets with 5 reps.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/19/06 11:06 AM

Week 2 Day 7 - Pullup 75% 5*5

17/09/06
Start: 5:55
End: 6:35

-------------
5*5 30kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/4/3/2

4*8 36kg Hamstring Curls 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: Um, I think I went too heavy on the pullups, I'll reduce it to 27.5kg next time. I'm taking a couple of days rather than one off, so I'll be back training tomorrow.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/21/06 11:00 AM

(the entry above should be Week 3 Day 3, can't edit it though)

Week 3 Day 5 - Deadlift 85% 5*5

15/09/06
Start: 5:05

-------------
5*5 130kg Deadlift 5/5/4/5/5

4*8 15kg Hammer Curl 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: Really tough DL workout. My back is pretty darn crippled today!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/21/06 05:54 PM

Keep them coming Tim. Hopefully soon I won't have this head, nassle, running nose cold and I too can hit the Deadlifts. I know what you mean about the back ... most times I can get away with it but the odd time .

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/26/06 04:55 PM

Week 3 Day 6 - Bench 85% 5*5

22/09/06
Start: 4:40
End: 5:25

-------------
5*5 80kg Bench Press 5/5/5/4/4

4*8 54kg Tricep Extension 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: Wow, it's been a while since I posted - but I've still been training! I'll just throw out the lot...

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/26/06 04:57 PM

Week 3 Day 7 - Pullup 85% 5*5

24/09/06
Start: 4:05
End: 4:50

-------------
5*5 27.5kg Weighted Pullup 5/5/4/4/4

4*8 43kg Hamstring Curls 8/8/8/8

4*- Hanging Leg Raise 10/10/9/9

-----------
Comments: I decided to make the hanging leg rais a do as much as you can. Felt it much more in the morning

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/26/06 05:03 PM

Week 4 Day 1 - Bench 85% 5*5

26/09/06
Start: 3:15
End: 4:00

-------------
5*5 80kg Bench Press 5/5/5/5/4

4*8 55kg Tricep Extension 8/8/8/8

-----------
Comments: Stupidly forgot my gloves, so swapped the deaedlift for the bench day. I'll DL tomorrow. Ah well, can't complain with the lifts, I've almost busted a full 5*5 on 80kg.

By the way, I should just explain that I intend to keep at 85% for the rest of week 4. Then I'm going to switch to something a little more bodybuilding oriented - mainly just because I feel like a change. I've done 5*5 till my eyes bleed, and want to try something new - I'm thinking a Waterbury HFT-like scheme.

I'm also going to stop logging on FA.com at the end of this cycle. I feel that, coming up to a year of logging (I started on October 21st if you see the first entry), I should stop - it's been a great learning experience for me, and I hope it helps other people who want to see what a year's worth of weight-lifting fun entails, and want to see some pitfalls that I fell into along the way. At some point I'll write a quick list of what I've learnt over the year, what I did wrong, what I did right, etc.. It may not benefit anyone but me, but I find it helps to write these things down. Thanks for all the support from you forum frequenters along the way!

Edit: Oh, and I'm really sorry about all the totally messed up dates over the last few weeks - I've been copying and pasting the whole form to type into, and as a result kept forgetting to input the correct date!

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/26/06 06:33 PM

Did I understand you correctly Tim, you are signing off of FA ... like never going to view and post again ... or are you just not going to be posting anymore of your workout?

I can certainly understand stopping posting your journal as that does take dedication as I'm finding out in the Mods Journal, but I don't mind. My thing is I think I provide too much information and heck, probably the only person reading it is Cord or myself and probably just me.

If you are putting FA aside altogether as you need a break then I wish you the best in your training. You've been an insperation and very level headed person and your are years older then you appear. Enjoy life, enjoy your training and take care of yourself Tim ... you will be missed.

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/27/06 01:03 PM

Woah, you should edit that last bit Dereck, I'll still be around, just without a log! Anyway, I'm still reading your log and from the views it looks like a lot of others are too... I think it can only be helpful to see how other people are putting the theory into practice
Posted by: Landus

Re: Tim's Workout Journal - 09/27/06 01:47 PM

I read your woffle Dereck

Tim may I say just how well you have done, you've kept organised and at it.

Just out of curiousity, how much weight could you lift for chin-ups and bicep curls when you first started and how much can you do now?