Jumping Rope vs. Running

Posted by: DizzyDogg6803

Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 02:35 AM

Whats up guys. I recently discovered a jump rope out in our garage. I started using it and found out that I really enjoy it. One thing that always made me stop conditioning as much as I wanted to was the fact that I hate running. I find it very boring. I also got my bike stolen and dont really care to get a new one.

What I was wondering was what you guys thought about jumping rope taking over running. Do you think it gives you all the benifits that running does? Should I still run every once in a while or does jumping rope do everything that I need to stay well conditioned?

I looked for a topic like this and could not find one so sorry if this has been asked.

Thanks
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 05:20 AM

Jumping rope is great for cardiovascular fitness, just as good as running - indeed I believe it has been proved to be more effective than running. If you don't like to run then jumping rope is perfect.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 09:23 AM

I agree. I read that jumping rope for 10 minues is equal to about 20-30 minutes of running. Of course that was using a certain amount of times the ropes circles...
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 12:01 PM

I tried jump rope the other day at TDK school...I couldnt get it down, I just couldnt get the rhythm. Its probably just me because my master always gets me to do these crazy things to improve rhythm and coordination.
Posted by: umsangil

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 01:52 PM

I also jump rope to replace running. Mixing up your footwork, rythmn etc provides additional benefits like increased foot agility. After 10 minutes of jump roping I feel about the same as 20 minutes of sprinting and slowing down over and over again. Or running a mile or so.

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 03:48 PM

Quote:

I also jump rope to replace running. Mixing up your footwork, rythmn etc provides additional benefits like increased foot agility. After 10 minutes of jump roping I feel about the same as 20 minutes of sprinting and slowing down over and over again. Or running a mile or so.

Yes, I also mix it up a lot. I'll jump on both feet, then start hopping on my left foot, then switch to my right foot, and go back to both feet.

Not only is it more fun for me, but it seems like its a lot more convenient. Instead of going to the track and running. All I do is go out to the garage, listen to a cd, and just jump for around 20 minutes or so.

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 05:07 PM

Not to mention long distance running is brutal on the knees...Jumping rope is a great alternative to running...:)
Posted by: Christie

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 09:54 PM

Sure is, its a lot more convienent and I find it easier on my joints - I also feel more worked when I jump rope then I do when I run, jog or sprint.
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 09:55 PM

Dont you guys ever mess up and miss a jump?
Posted by: Cownose

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 10:25 PM

Quote:

After 10 minutes of jump roping I feel about the same as 20 minutes of sprinting and slowing down over and over again.

If you feel like jumping rope is harder than interval training, you are probably doing the interval training wrong. You're also doing it wrong if you can do it for 20 minutes without puking and passing out.
Posted by: Christie

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 11:00 PM

Quote:

You're also doing it wrong if you can do it for 20 minutes without puking and passing out.

Ya no kidding man, 20 minutes is a long freaking time.
Posted by: umsangil

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/03/05 11:18 PM

Ha ha yeah I must have been doing it wrong. Whats the proper way to do interval training?

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/04/05 12:44 AM

Quote:

Dont you guys ever mess up and miss a jump?

I still do. I just started. I am getting a lot better though. I try to get like 150 in a row, and if I mess up at 146, I start over. If I get it, I do something else like hopping on each foot individually. I'll keep doing different things until I've been at it for about 20 minutes or so.

Two things I cant get down for anything are jumping really high and getting the rope to go under my feet twice. The other thing is where you cross your arms over each other. I usually get it under my feet and whack myself in the head as its coming back over.
Posted by: Cownose

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/04/05 12:55 AM

Quote:

Whats the proper way to do interval training?

It varies from person to person, but there is one thing that's true for everyone (unless you shouldn't being doing it in the first place due to medical conditions or whatever)...it has to be intense. If you can do it for 20 minutes, you probably need to raise the intensity. You can do that by shortening the rest periods, sprinting faster (if you're not sprinting all out already), or sprinting longer. The only thing you have to watch is when you're raising the sprinting time...it isn't considered sprinting anymore once you've slowed down considerably, and if you do it that long you're working the wrong energy system anyway.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/04/05 11:42 AM

20 minutes is a LONG time...

If you're a martial artist, it would be better to do shorter lengths. Like 3-5 minutes and do a number of sets. That'll be far more beneficial for MA.
Posted by: mma

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/05/05 03:59 PM

I always jumprope with headphones and my favorite rock and R&B tracks. It helps me keep time and keep rhythm. I don't count jumps or anything, I just jump alternating feet every jump like a boxer for as long as the song goes. 1 song is about 3-5 mins, and I get as long as the pause between tracks is to rest. I try to go for at least half the CD, which is a good 25 minutes.

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/05/05 04:22 PM

Hmm, I like that idea about using the music lenght to judge your time..I have always been wondering how to time myself. My watch just doesn't beep loud enough to know when I am done and I hate to just stop and look at my watch..Tks for the pointer..:)
Posted by: WADO

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/05/05 06:40 PM

I am going to give a different opinion, while jumping rope is certainly as good a jogging if not better, it burns more calories than running if you maintain a jumping pace equal to your stride pace it does have a few major drawbacks. Running not jogging brings more lower body muscles into the workout, if you are actually running you will work the glutes, hamstring, calves, and quads. Jumping rope works mostly the calves. Second in cardivascular work it is easy to improve a psecific motion very quickly but you need to vary your cardio or you may find yourself able to jump 20 minutes but only spar for 5 minutes also don't jump two feet at a time alternate feet to increase load. The plus on jumping rope is that you can train different rhythms and vary speed and footwork exercises, but running should be preserved as necessary to a complete training routine. If you get bored running some suggestions 1never run more than 2 miles but try to work to a 10 minute 2 mile pace, it is a difficult goal but nobody gets bored in 10 minutes, vary your running run sprints of varying distance from sets of 20 meter sprints up to 600 meter sprints and do them in sets like weightlifting.
Both are good exercises, if you read Jack London's Stories about boxing he outlines an old time training routine that included running sprinting and jumping rope.
In fact for boxing there are considered five primary exercises, running, jumping rope, shadow boxing, heavy bag and sparring.
Jumping rope is a great workout but I would use it to replace jogging and keep hard sprinting workouts as part of your routine.
Posted by: mma

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/05/05 08:18 PM

I'd like to add to that. If you get bored running on the streets or on a track, get some good sturdy shoes and run in the hills! Its really hard but you'll never get bored if you do hill workouts, and they'll benefit you so much more than just strait track work. But don't jump strait to running only in the hills, you'll shred your legs, build up to it. peace.

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 08/07/05 01:45 PM

Thanks for the advice on running WADO and mma. I do like jumping rope a lot better, but ill give your running ideas a try.
Posted by: franktgc

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 09/08/06 11:15 AM

If you jump rope doing the "jog-step" you can do both at a time, here is an instruction: duvide.com/skipping-instruction.htm
Posted by: johnd123

Re: Jumping Rope vs. Running - 05/09/11 08:57 AM

IF you think running beats rope jumping try this

1) double jump for 10 minutes - i bet there is not a single person on this forum who can do 5 minutes let alone 10 minutes, the goal is 20 minutes of continues double jumps - ive never met one boxer in my life who could even do four or five minutes of this let alone 10 minutes.

2) alternative footstep - lifting knees up, no higher than 3 inches of the ground, running in place *this is how it looks* do this for 5 minutes rest 1 minute continue*

3) double jump 20 times, then do alternative footstep for 1 minute, then back to double jumps for a total of 3 minutes

Try work up to 20 minutes of double jumping try get a soft mat to do it on, or good trainers, the impact will be about the same as running in my experience, could be less if you limit the height you jump, this workout beats any any form of running

Never skip like a boxer who bounces on one foot then the other, always rope jump on two feet.