Supplements

Posted by: Dereck

Supplements - 07/11/05 01:41 PM

About a month back I was talking to my body building friend from Regina, SK. Among the supplements that they use in their group are of course Creatine, protein, caffine pills, ephedrine, steriods and flax seed oil pills.

I'm not interested in the caffine, ehedrine or steriods. I've used Creatine and protein in the past. My body building friend suggested Expand's Creatin as they have had the best results.

My question is more about the flax seed oil pills. How he explained how they use this is on their down time when they are not using steriods. That the flax seed oil pills are a dietery fat that can not be absorbed by the body so it is crapped out. The thing he says is that the body cannot tell this and works hard to burn it thus burning your other fat. This is why when off the steriods that they use this to help in their cutting phase.

Has anybody else ever heard of this? Would myself how works hard without steriods benefit from this?
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: Supplements - 07/11/05 03:02 PM

All supps are a grey area...as far as I know theyre not approved or condemed by any medical standards. I myself take whey protein supps and only whey protein supps.One way or another i'm goign to be consuming large quantities of protien...and like most people it would be difficult to get the protein you require without putting on some extra weight.Now thats probably wrong, and if done properly you probably can get the protein you require from foods. Anyway..I havnt heard of anyone getting hurt from using protein in reasonable quantities.

Creatine however is baaad.I hear all the time about people getting messed off of it.It gave my brother some serious emotional problems at one point, i'm not sure why. But my cousin was also a very serious body builder at one time and then got mental damage from the various supps he was taking. Now i cant say creatine was the cause but it was among his commonly used supps. They found alot of aluminum and mercury in his system..which caused the brain failure. He's ok now, but lost alot of his mental/emotional capacity and is pretty slow.Thats why I myself will never go with creatine.All i can say is be carefull when crossing over into this area of bodybuilding....

Edit: dont know much about the flax...i work in a pharmacy and we sell it here.So its easy to get.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Supplements - 07/11/05 05:42 PM

Flax seed oil is a good source of omega oils (healthy fats) that many take as a source of energy when not eating carbohydrates. (carbs- 4 calories per gramme, Fats- 9 calories per gramme). Because the essential fats in flax and also fish oil are beneficial to health they can be incorporated to make up as much as 35% of your daily energy intake. This also promotes the production of ketones, which in turn help keep the body in a state able to burn body fat (low fat diets inhibit the process of ketosis if followed for prolonged periods)
Your friends are mistaken in thinking that the oil they take is a way of prolonging the effect of steroids in an off cycle, also in their belief that they are not digesting the nutrients therein. Quite frankly i shudder to think of people with such shaky understanding of their physiology messing about with stroids, but thats just my opinion.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Supplements - 07/11/05 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quite frankly i shudder to think of people with such shaky understanding of their physiology messing about with stroids, but thats just my opinion.

Agreed.